Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13415446

Subject: "Tennis, I never knew thee" Previous topic | Next topic
Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 12:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tennis, I never knew thee"

Does anyone on here like tennis?

I discovered tennis this year probably as a result of needing Covid 19 friendly hobbies / ways of exercising (never been THAT much of a runner), bball hasn't been tempting since pre-March and the gym has been shut down on and off all year so I finally quit my membership

Still getting into it, been playing mostly outdoors for 3-4 months now and its great cardio as well as... FUN as hell

Been watching some classic matches too on YouTube, Nadal / Serena / Federer, McEnroe etc etc, its pretty enjoyable to watch as well. Lots of great matches posted in full on YouTube, all the big Grand Slams

Shoutout to tennis. Never seen any mention of tennis on the boards but figured I'd still post lol¨

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Took lessons like 25 years ago...
Dec 04th 2020
I took lessons as a kid one summer...
Dec 04th 2020
i had to learn because of work
Dec 04th 2020
Bruh Djokovic fans are theeeee worst
Dec 04th 2020
I love it. It might be my old man sport.
Dec 04th 2020
i think tennis would be a good side-sport for kids
Dec 04th 2020
      ^^^^
Dec 04th 2020
I love Tennis
Dec 04th 2020
Yep, I took it up as an adult. It's great exercise. I want to make it ...
Dec 04th 2020
That's dope! Who were your faves at the time?
Dec 04th 2020
      Djokovic vs Wawrinka 2013 - l like to call it Rocky I.
Dec 04th 2020
           Thats crazy, lemme ask you a couple of (dumb) questions
Dec 04th 2020
                I can't speak to the quality of the experience from every angle. I caug...
Dec 04th 2020
This will probably sound kinda vapid but I love it for the outfits lol
Dec 04th 2020
I feel you, Federer's all white Uniqlo get-up is slickkkkk
Dec 04th 2020
my mom thought I was going to be Arthur Ashe
Dec 04th 2020
Nice. How can I improve my serve? lol
Dec 04th 2020
In my experience
Dec 04th 2020
Delete
Dec 04th 2020
lots of tossing practice
Dec 07th 2020
he used to come thru here on the regular.
Dec 07th 2020
Can we talk rackets?
Dec 04th 2020
I'm definitely not one to answer this, but I bought a pretty straight
Dec 04th 2020
I was pretty good 30 years ago, but only play platform tennis now
Dec 07th 2020
pops played in college so i grew up watching it
Dec 07th 2020
I had my own racket/balls
Dec 07th 2020

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 12:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Took lessons like 25 years ago..."
In response to Reply # 0

It does look pretty fun though, and low barrier to entry. I love ping pong...

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 01:17 PM

3. "I took lessons as a kid one summer..."
In response to Reply # 1

My Mom signed me & my brother up as a way to keep us from doing a whole bunch of nothing all summer. I went in not knowing anything about the game but really enjoyed it. I only played very sporadically since and I'm really not very good.

The little lady has taken an interest in tennis lately. So I bought us some cheap rackets and a bag of balls. When winter hits, we go down to the park. I try to show her a couple of strokes but she's got zero patience. I think she really just wants to hit stuff. But this has reminded me of how fun tennis can be.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85067 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 01:12 PM

2. "i had to learn because of work"
In response to Reply # 0

the owner used to be a d1 tennis coach and club pro so he used to make all the new hires learn the game since its what the company was founded on.

i always thought it was funny after i started to get the hang of it i mentioned that Nadal was my favorite player. the owner was like "oh so this is why you play such an ugly game" i was drawn to the pace, power and will of his game.

from talking to tennis folks i find that a lot of the older folks really do not like Nadal's game though and prefer Federer

Federer is more like watching an artist work. He's got every trick in the book, super poised, he can paint the court, and his style just has an easy look to it. I hated him back in the peak Nadal v Fed years just because he was the opps but after picking up a racket myself, i have a much greater appreciation for his game.

Everybody seems to hate Djokovic lmao

<--- Big Baller World Order

Bambino Grande
965 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 04:14 PM

10. "Bruh Djokovic fans are theeeee worst"
In response to Reply # 2

Maybe it corelates with his fans being younger, but holy sh** they troll up all the Nadal & Federer YouTube comment sections with their relentless mess

>the owner used to be a d1 tennis coach and club pro so he
>used to make all the new hires learn the game since its what
>the company was founded on.
>
>i always thought it was funny after i started to get the hang
>of it i mentioned that Nadal was my favorite player. the owner
>was like "oh so this is why you play such an ugly game" i was
>drawn to the pace, power and will of his game.
>
>from talking to tennis folks i find that a lot of the older
>folks really do not like Nadal's game though and prefer
>Federer
>
>Federer is more like watching an artist work. He's got every
>trick in the book, super poised, he can paint the court, and
>his style just has an easy look to it. I hated him back in the
>peak Nadal v Fed years just because he was the opps but after
>picking up a racket myself, i have a much greater appreciation
>for his game.
>
>Everybody seems to hate Djokovic lmao
>
>

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 01:23 PM

4. "I love it. It might be my old man sport. "
In response to Reply # 0

I played a bit in high school but wasn't that great. I eventually got kicked off the team.

I have taken the kids to try all sports and not a lot stuck. I got them tennis lessons and they really enjoyed it.

Then while I was waiting for their lessons I got back out there and got a couple of lessons.

I forgot how rewarding a sport it is. I theorize my kids like it because every time they get the ball across the net it feels rewarding.

I am looking to play more.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

BrooklynWHAT
85067 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 01:30 PM

6. "i think tennis would be a good side-sport for kids"
In response to Reply # 4

to learn a lot of soft skills about angles, tempo, footwork and mental fortitude

Bambino Grande
965 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 04:19 PM

11. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 6

>to learn a lot of soft skills about angles, tempo, footwork
>and mental fortitude

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 01:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I love Tennis "
In response to Reply # 0

Always watched as a kid and started getting back into it the last few years

----------

IG @erichrigonan

MikaDanteBrown
Member since Oct 01st 2005
6964 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 01:33 PM

7. "Yep, I took it up as an adult. It's great exercise. I want to make it ..."
In response to Reply # 0

all of the Grand slams, but so far, I've just been to the Australian Open. Got to see all of my faves at the time.

Bambino Grande
965 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 04:19 PM

12. "That's dope! Who were your faves at the time?"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Dec-04-20 04:20 PM by Bambino Grande

any memorable matches from that AO I should check out? Trying to devour all the greatest games

MikaDanteBrown
6964 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 04:30 PM

15. "Djokovic vs Wawrinka 2013 - l like to call it Rocky I. "
In response to Reply # 12

Got to see Venus & Serena play doubles. Got to see Fed vs Tsonga and Sloane too.

Bambino Grande
965 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 04:37 PM

16. "Thats crazy, lemme ask you a couple of (dumb) questions"
In response to Reply # 15

What's it like watching tennis live? Are you able to catch all of the game or is the ball a little small and shit moving a bit too fast, or is it 100% depending on seats?

Also; How would you rate Djokovic as a player?

Haven't watched any of his games yet, but I know he's up there top tier with Nadal and Federer. Just haven't been drawn to his playing style yet, but that might be more of a fault of his fans (as mentioned above)

MikaDanteBrown
6964 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 04:48 PM

17. "I can't speak to the quality of the experience from every angle. I caug..."
In response to Reply # 16

everything from the 5th row, center.

I like Nole as a player. However, he's just never been my fave. Honestly, with so many life changes (kids, etc.), I haven't kept up with the game in recent years. It's hard to say if my opinions of anybody have changed, based solely on the game. I just don't make time to watch it regularly anymore.

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 01:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "This will probably sound kinda vapid but I love it for the outfits lol"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, I know someone could just wear regular workout stuff to play

but if I take it up seriously in any capacity, a good 50% of my enjoyment will be the excuse to go full caricature with like the sweatbands, visors, dresses, skirts etc

lol

I grew to appreciate the actual athleticism of it tho after becoming good friends with a couple that's really into it (although it was mostly the guy's hobby). Additionally, my father took it up for a bit as an adult and I remember tennis rackets and balls being the only sports equipment I ever saw around the house as a kid lol.

I think I'll def look into lessons at some point; it's one of those latent interests. I find it very boring to *watch* tho (aside from the outfits lol), but I feel like it'd be way more fun to actually play/practice.

Bambino Grande
965 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 04:21 PM

13. "I feel you, Federer's all white Uniqlo get-up is slickkkkk"
In response to Reply # 8

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 02:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "my mom thought I was going to be Arthur Ashe"
In response to Reply # 0

I was basically Jackie Long in ATL but instead of golf it was tennis.
taught lessons up until a couple years ago

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Bambino Grande
965 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 04:21 PM

14. "Nice. How can I improve my serve? lol"
In response to Reply # 9

fif
Member since Feb 23rd 2004
1998 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 05:56 PM

18. "In my experience"
In response to Reply # 14

Really working on your toss can help. Gotta get that well grooved, repeatable. Almost arthur ashe probably can say better.

Tennis is a lot of fun. Played in high school but never had great fundamentals, was more of a scrappy retriever type. Have some people who want to play now, hoping to get back into it

fif
1998 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 05:57 PM

19. "Delete"
In response to Reply # 18
Fri Dec-04-20 05:58 PM by fif

BrooklynWHAT
85067 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 02:56 PM

25. "lots of tossing practice"
In response to Reply # 14

the owner had a bit w/ me that we couldnt practice serving until i could toss it up, not hit a shelf he setup for me to test this (so i could practice a consistent toss height) and then (without moving my hand) catch it 10 times in a row

it took a couple evenings of non-stop practice at home to get it right.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10143 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 02:14 PM

24. "he used to come thru here on the regular."
In response to Reply # 9

https://www.wunc.org/post/arthur-ashe-skinny-kid-champion-and-freedom-fighter

fif
1998 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 05:59 PM

20. "Can we talk rackets?"
In response to Reply # 0

Im looking to get back into the game after years off. What's the best way to get a decent racket? Demo-ing obviously makes sense. Any websites with good deals

Bambino Grande
965 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 07:10 PM

21. "I'm definitely not one to answer this, but I bought a pretty straight"
In response to Reply # 20
Fri Dec-04-20 07:10 PM by Bambino Grande

forward Wilson racket, midsized grip I think. And its great. Cost me like $50 or so

But maybe thats way too basic for whatever level you're at lol

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 01:22 PM

22. "I was pretty good 30 years ago, but only play platform tennis now"
In response to Reply # 0

not tennis with platform shoes, no... aka 'paddle' (but different from padel, paddletennis, etc... bunch of related but distinct sports)

this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8H137ZtQYo - action starts around 13:00 in.

I love it for a bunch of reasons
-I'm much better at it than I ever was or could have been at tennis, probably bc it's much friendlier to unorthodoxy and with the wires spin is more important
-courts tend to have lights, so easier to play at night
-year-round outdoor sport (actually started as a winter-only alternative to tennis, but off-season play has become a lot more popular as the sport has mushroomed)
-generally speaking, much longer points and more strategic due to the play off the wire enclosure as a limitation on the importance of raw power - if you watch that vid you can see those guys can all hit the crap out of the ball at any moment but they're choosy about when they do it
-almost always followed by beer

I'm decent, not open national tournament caliber or close to it but good enough to hang with guys who are on occasion. Have been playing for about 35 years, since my folks played.

Niche sport, unfortunately tends to be played primarily at country clubs but increasingly popular so more swim clubs are picking it up, even public courts in a few places. If you're intrigued let me know - it's very regional in terms of access but there might be a place for you to try nearby.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10143 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 01:45 PM

23. "pops played in college so i grew up watching it"
In response to Reply # 0

McEnroe, Borg and Connors. by the time Sampras and Agassi came on deck it was on and poppin

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Dec-07-20 05:03 PM

26. "I had my own racket/balls"
In response to Reply # 0

as a kid. Pops used to take us out for fun. I really enjoyed it.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Lobby General Discussion topic #13415446 Previous topic | Next topic