Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13414077

Subject: "ok so I just watched Antebellum (2020, starring Janelle Monae)... W.T.F." Previous topic | Next topic
kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 03:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"ok so I just watched Antebellum (2020, starring Janelle Monae)... W.T.F."
Wed Nov-18-20 03:30 AM by kfine

does that movie have so many bad reviews??!

That shit was great.

Or *at least* as good as Get Out, and kinda the same style thriller.

Like... I'm reading some of these takedowns and it's basically like.. do people not understand white supremacy's transcendance across time and space is what's so unnerving???

Pretty sure that's the fucking point. In fact, some of the most mundane scenes made me squirm the most - in part bc of how relatable those tensions are (although I concede not for everyone).

Were there some heavy-handed parts? Sure I guess. But they only emphasized age-old tensions of our time which, tbh, rendered them quite satisfying.

Posting to gather other thoughts/see if anyone else has gotten around to watching... but also to encourage anyone who may have passed due to bad reviews to give it a shot.

Definitely worth watching, *especially* if you liked Get Out, Us, and any other thrillers that dig into intersectional themes wrt race, gender, class etc

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I ain't paying $20 to stream a movie.....but i'ma damn sho watch it when
Nov 18th 2020
It’s $5.99 now on prime
Nov 18th 2020
      Oh snap! Word??? I can stomach that then.
Nov 18th 2020
      Come back and share your thoughts if/when ever you finally watch.
Nov 18th 2020
      i thought it was included with prime
Nov 18th 2020
      yes please do
Nov 18th 2020
      Ya I've been seeing the price as a common reason ppl haven't watched
Nov 18th 2020
           I love JM as an actress so initially it piqued my interest
Nov 18th 2020
           I hear ya.
Nov 18th 2020
           yeah im good on the slave narratives.
Nov 18th 2020
           When the promos first dropped all the comments were alt right
Nov 18th 2020
                After seeing how brolic the right-wing gets about defending white women
Nov 18th 2020
                     literally no
Nov 18th 2020
                          don't start.
Nov 18th 2020

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 07:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I ain't paying $20 to stream a movie.....but i'ma damn sho watch it when"
In response to Reply # 0

it's streaming as part of what im already paying for.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 09:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It’s $5.99 now on prime"
In response to Reply # 1

and while I wouldn’t pay $20 it’s really about the same amount or less than I would pay to see it in a theatre when you add beer, gas, etc.

and yes, I only go to theatres that serve drinks because why the fuck not? So yeah.. my screen is smaller but I don’t have to deal with other people talking amd looking at their phones... and I can pause and piss?

It’s really not a bad deal when you think about it.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 09:19 AM

3. "Oh snap! Word??? I can stomach that then. "
In response to Reply # 2

I saw it didn’t land in the “Included With Prime” category and passed on it....
Guess I shoulda clicked through

Thanks

kfine
2218 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Come back and share your thoughts if/when ever you finally watch. "
In response to Reply # 3

I'm curious.

Also just want JM to get the post-mortems she deserves, after suffering on-screen the way she did.

Fuck the trash ass reviews. I'm annoyed for her lol

AND Nate Wonder and Roman Gianarthur killed the scoring

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 10:28 AM

5. "i thought it was included with prime"
In response to Reply # 2

the reviews did keep me from watching. maybe i also did see it wasnt included in prime but forgot.

i think next time im looking for a movie to watch ill check it out.

kfine
2218 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 10:46 AM

7. "yes please do"
In response to Reply # 5

and come post what you think afterwards

>
>i think next time im looking for a movie to watch ill check it
>out.

kfine
2218 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 10:45 AM

6. "Ya I've been seeing the price as a common reason ppl haven't watched"
In response to Reply # 2

I guess it makes sense given the times we're in.

That said, I wish people could also think of it as supporting Black art (or at least, I'd definitely classify it as such given the Black female lead, the Black supporting cast, the Black scoring team, and half the writing/directing team being Black).

Because right now, the narrative haunting the film (if one were to go off "official" reviews from critics) is that it's poorly executed or something. And not only do I disagree, but I think the film's message is *way* too important to get lost in the sauce like that.

In fact, I'm not beyond suspecting all the negative reactions are more of a reflex by certain types to an agenda they probably perceive wrt the debate surrounding monuments and other symbols of oppression.

Even the reception on Black twitter seems more balanced lol

>and while I wouldn’t pay $20 it’s really about the same
>amount or less than I would pay to see it in a theatre when
>you add beer, gas, etc.
>
>and yes, I only go to theatres that serve drinks because why
>the fuck not? So yeah.. my screen is smaller but I don’t
>have to deal with other people talking amd looking at their
>phones... and I can pause and piss?
>
>It’s really not a bad deal when you think about it.
>
>
>
>

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 12:55 PM

8. "I love JM as an actress so initially it piqued my interest"
In response to Reply # 6

Read a couple reviews and excitement waned. Pandemic + price didn't help.

I'm not a huge movie buff though...it takes a lot to get me to see a film, and idk how many more slavery movies I want to sit through

kfine
2218 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 01:55 PM

10. "I hear ya. "
In response to Reply # 8

And definitely understand and respect fatigue re: depictions of slavery.

I'm actually not super crazy about the continued anchoring of Black experiences on film to that trauma either; it's never ever easy to watch.

And there is also a significant degree of violence, especially gender-based and sexual violence, in this film.

So anybody unable to stomach a film depicting such scenes, I totally get their aversion.

That said, at least for me, the discomfort actually helped drive the deeper lessons from the film home, imho. Makes you appreciate how Horror as a genre is kinda uniquely positioned to deliver racial justice commentary.

Because white supremacy IS scary. AF! Even the most subtle micro-agressions that so many of us can relate to. Whether man-to-man, man-to-woman, woman-to-woman, ALL that shit. Fucking chills to the bone.

And it being an anachronism only makes it SCARIER. Like, literally the same words, tactics, structures, even families/people in some cases. Just ugh.

But ya. Whether you decide to check for it or not, JM did you proud don't worry. Tbh, I think it's her casting that made me finally decide to watch and see for myself despite the reviews. Bc we know how serious she is when it comes to making art, so I at least knew/trusted she wouldn't sign up for some nonsense.

>Read a couple reviews and excitement waned. Pandemic + price
>didn't help.
>
>I'm not a huge movie buff though...it takes a lot to get me to
>see a film, and idk how many more slavery movies I want to sit
>through
>
>

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10136 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 02:00 PM

11. "yeah im good on the slave narratives."
In response to Reply # 8

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 01:24 PM

9. "When the promos first dropped all the comments were alt right"
In response to Reply # 6

dickheads complaining about another Black movie that puts white people in a negative light.

Price was the only thing holding us back from watching it. I haven’t read any reviews.

We will prolly watch this weekend.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

kfine
2218 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 02:09 PM

12. "After seeing how brolic the right-wing gets about defending white women"
In response to Reply # 9

in particular lately (eg. re: voting habits, role/agency in upholding white supremacy, etc), in addition to the recent flare-up of debates re: monuments and other confederate symbols, I am increasingly of the belief that a lot of the negative press this movie received was intentional/coordinated.

Because this movie unapologetically highlights those issues.

Come back and post what you and your wife think after watching tho (especially if she likes it much more or less than you. Curious to know whether Black women receive this film differently, for a variety of reasons).

>dickheads complaining about another Black movie that puts
>white people in a negative light.
>

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "literally no"
In response to Reply # 12

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

kfine
2218 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 04:17 PM

14. "don't start."
In response to Reply # 13

thx

Lobby General Discussion topic #13414077 Previous topic | Next topic