Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13410736

Subject: "Sarah Cooper Everything's Fine" Previous topic | Next topic
walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Thu Oct-29-20 08:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sarah Cooper Everything's Fine"

I just finished watching it, my wife and I loved it. It is so absurdly funny. The guest stars were fantastic.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Sarah Cooper Everything's Fine
Oct 29th 2020
My mom "discovered" Twitter like 6 months ago
Oct 29th 2020
Those TikTok lip sync videos are what made her blow up.
Oct 29th 2020
She gained like a million followers in 6 weeks.
Oct 30th 2020
Larrge internet following + COVID + natasha Lyonne nm
Oct 29th 2020
you know the saying - overnight success...10 years?
Oct 29th 2020
Internet fame, for sure.
Oct 30th 2020
The Trump lip sync videos were HUGE on social media
Oct 31st 2020
They were pitching this around in July.
Oct 30th 2020
The jump from social to big streaming hasn't had a great track record
Oct 30th 2020
      Remember the Twitter account they tried to make into a sitcom?
Oct 30th 2020
      Here’s the difference.
Oct 31st 2020
           Sarah has been doing stand up yes...
Oct 31st 2020
           God, the Schaub special is the worst standup I've seen in ages.
Nov 03rd 2020
I enjoyed it
Oct 31st 2020
It’s good.....
Nov 01st 2020
Reminds me of Maria Bamford or Amy Sedaris
Nov 02nd 2020
surprised by how much i enjoyed it
Nov 02nd 2020
This was just ok to me
Nov 03rd 2020
What would have made this AMAZING
Nov 03rd 2020

sersey
Member since Jan 03rd 2005
934 posts
Thu Oct-29-20 08:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Sarah Cooper Everything's Fine"
In response to Reply # 0

It thought it was just ok. The access Hollywood bus Re-enactment was the only gut laugh segment for me.

Side bar- How did an underground comic that was completely unknown a year ago get all these seasoned vets to play supporting roles in her debut special. She’s obviously got some strong backing/management.

Happy for her even if she’s just mildly funny for my taste.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Thu Oct-29-20 09:11 PM

2. "My mom "discovered" Twitter like 6 months ago"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Oct-29-20 09:17 PM by Oak27

She sends me multiple Sarah Cooper tweets every week.

What I'm saying is she caught the attention of the middle aged white crowd. The same demographic that watches reruns of The Big Bang Theory and starts drinking tea after visiting London once.

She got $$$ cause she was able to attract a large and easily amused audience. She has safe, clean humor. I couldn't believe she got a Netflix deal not to mention a special already out. But I guess Netflix figured they may as well strike while the iron is hot.

I think she's big on TiKTok too. God help me if my mom figures how that app works.

EDIT: I should note that I actually laughed at some of her early vids, but the "lip synch Trump" act got repetitive fast. Don't have much of a desire to check out the Netflix special, but saw the clip of her reenacting Trump's "grab em by the pussy" monologue and feel like I've seen all I need to see.

>Side bar- How did an underground comic that was completely
>unknown a year ago get all these seasoned vets to play
>supporting roles in her debut special. She’s obviously got
>some strong backing/management.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Oct-29-20 11:54 PM

5. "Those TikTok lip sync videos are what made her blow up."
In response to Reply # 2

They're really not very funny imo, but so many people I know *love* them. It's just her, lip syncing, doing slightly silly faces. And it's brought her a shitload of success. She even got to guest host... I believe it was Kimmel? (It was an absolute train wreck. Deadly, deadly stuff.)

Still, props to her for capitalizing on it, finding that hustle and running with it. Very, very few people get to do what she's done with Internet fame, so good on her. Not my cup of tea at all, but she's killing it.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Triptych
Charter member
30125 posts
Fri Oct-30-20 01:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
6. "She gained like a million followers in 6 weeks."
In response to Reply # 2

NFLX was being smart. Why wait? She has a sketch comedy background too. They prolly had to snatch her up before SNL got to her.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Thu Oct-29-20 09:23 PM

3. "Larrge internet following + COVID + natasha Lyonne nm"
In response to Reply # 1

---

But hell, what do I know?

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Oct-29-20 11:25 PM

4. "you know the saying - overnight success...10 years?"
In response to Reply # 1

its kind-of the case here.

she was putting in work for a long time before she went super national. seems like she was already a deal as far back as 2014 where she was producing viral content. her first book was published in 2016 based on the viral content from '14. her youtube channel has been active since...2006? hold up, really? goddamn.

but, yeah, she just appear, shes been at it for a long long time.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Fri Oct-30-20 01:54 PM

7. "Internet fame, for sure."
In response to Reply # 1

People LOVE her videos.

But also Maya Rudolph & Natasha Lyonne (+ their very powerful management company who reps the A-list of comedy and beyond).

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Sat Oct-31-20 01:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "The Trump lip sync videos were HUGE on social media"
In response to Reply # 1

White people ate that shit up every week. Salute to her for capitalizing.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Ryan M
43744 posts
Fri Oct-30-20 01:58 PM

8. "They were pitching this around in July."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not at all surprised it was sold quickly, but honestly it happened SO quickly that it's impressive. It's no surprise Netflix jumped on it - they have a lot more nimble programming capability than most other linear networks or streamers.

But I heard it July, and they were trying to make it happen pre-election. I'm a little surprised they pulled it off, to be honest.

17x NBA Champions

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Fri Oct-30-20 02:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "The jump from social to big streaming hasn't had a great track record"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri Oct-30-20 02:36 PM by Heinz

Amazing opportunity but I wish we got to see her on SNL instead. A lot of the big YouTubers, TikTok, Vine, IG stars who get these big opportunities have been flopping it seems. Before Lilly got the talk show it also wouldve been better to see her on something like SNL. They bring their fans, but they havent learned to transition their comedy on to tv yet. It's simliar to like Brendan Schaub getting a comedy special on Showtime after being on Fighter and the Kid and Rogan. Shit did not do well, it was too early in his stand up career. I'm surprised his crew didn't tell him wait.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Fri Oct-30-20 03:45 PM

10. "Remember the Twitter account they tried to make into a sitcom?"
In response to Reply # 9

Shit My Dad Says

We've come a long way.

Ryan M
43744 posts
Sat Oct-31-20 12:05 AM

11. "Here’s the difference. "
In response to Reply # 9

Agreed almost nobody has jumped from digital to long form. But Sarah started as a stand up. She didn’t simply find success as a digital star - she’s been in this for awhile. It’s different if you try to jump from Vine or TikTok or whatever and here’s why - those people have success and money in the platform they made it on. They never want to adjust to what it takes to make it in another medium.

King Bach hasn’t even done it really - but he’s come close.

If they all treated it like Kevin Hart - grind and grind as the number 7 on the call sheet to understand how to be a star KNOWING you have your medium to fall back on. But these guys think they know how to do it out of the gate - they don’t. Almost nobody does. But they don’t have the lack of ego to admit it.

So Sarah was smart. Did a special not outside of her comfort zone alongside STARS for eyeballs. Brendan Schaub - not the same. Didn’t learn from his peers. Just thought he could coast on fame. A better comp is Sal Vulcano - who has done stand up longer than Schaub and yet you wouldn’t know it because Sal is smart enough to know he can get better while using his fame to get opportunities.

I’m probably saying too much but there’s layers to this and Sarah played it perfectly. I say this as someone who hasn’t even seen the special but I know enough to know it’s not an embarrassment like some celeb stand up or sketch specials and that puts her way ahead of the curve.

17x NBA Champions

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Sat Oct-31-20 10:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Sarah has been doing stand up yes..."
In response to Reply # 11

Sorry but its exactly the same because the transition from stand up or digital to tv doesnt always translate and her’s specifically hasn’t yet. I think with time she can but I wish she gave sketch comedy or just tv in general more time. so far as it is out she was trending more when her comedy was just on social vs having a netflix special. It’s a different beast. But the quick jump is the same. You can’t have an opposing opinion if it translates or not then in the same breath say you havent watched it LOL

----------

IG @erichrigonan

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Nov-03-20 02:00 PM

20. "God, the Schaub special is the worst standup I've seen in ages."
In response to Reply # 11

Absolutely dreadful.

I don't think Cooper's work outside the lip syncs has been very successful in terms of comedic value (obviously subjective), but I totally agree that she's approached this in a far more clever way than many of her peers, and she clearly understands that she's "not a star." So often when you see these mega-internet-fame young people in things, they're more of a distraction than anything else... and like you said, really King Bach is the only guy that's even *starting* to get away from this.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Sat Oct-31-20 10:18 AM

13. "I enjoyed it"
In response to Reply # 0

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Sun Nov-01-20 12:01 PM

15. "It’s good....."
In response to Reply # 0

That she’s getting this Netflix money....

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Nov-02-20 04:11 PM

16. "Reminds me of Maria Bamford or Amy Sedaris"
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Nabs
Charter member
11405 posts
Mon Nov-02-20 04:32 PM

17. "surprised by how much i enjoyed it"
In response to Reply # 0

the q-anon, mr. pillow, and access hollywood sketches were on point

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79618 posts
Tue Nov-03-20 06:49 AM

18. "This was just ok to me"
In response to Reply # 0

I’ve seen her Trump impersonations before and didn’t get the hype..

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Tue Nov-03-20 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "What would have made this AMAZING "
In response to Reply # 0

Is if Drunk History produced it...

Same exact show... just get everyone plastered while doing the lip syncing

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com