Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13409519

Subject: "Damn, Texas - Social workers can turn away LGBTQ clients now" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 02:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Damn, Texas - Social workers can turn away LGBTQ clients now"

Key quote:
“There’s now a gray area between what’s legally allowed and ethically responsible,” he said. “The law should never allow a social worker to legally do unethical things.”

(SWIZIPE)

New Texas rule lets social workers turn away clients who are LGBTQ or have a disability
A professional organization of social workers called the change "incredibly disheartening," while Gov. Greg Abbott's office said it was necessary to conform with existing state law.

BY EDGAR WALTERS OCT. 14, 202012 PM

Sign up for The Brief, our daily newsletter that keeps readers up to speed on the most essential Texas news.

Texas social workers are criticizing a state regulatory board’s decision this week to remove protections for LGBTQ clients and clients with disabilities who seek social work services.

The Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners voted unanimously Monday to change a section of its code of conduct that establishes when a social worker may refuse to serve someone. The code will no longer prohibit social workers from turning away clients on the basis of disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.

Gov. Greg Abbott’s office recommended the change, board members said, because the code’s nondiscrimination protections went beyond protections laid out in the state law that governs how and when the state may discipline social workers.

“It’s not surprising that a board would align its rules with statutes passed by the Legislature,” said Abbott spokesperson Renae Eze. A state law passed last year gave the governor’s office more control over rules governing state-licensed professions.

The nondiscrimination policy change drew immediate criticism from a professional association. Will Francis, executive director of the Texas chapter of the National Association of Social Workers, called it “incredibly disheartening.”

He also criticized board members for removing the nondiscrimination protections without input from the social workers they license and oversee.

Steven Parks, a social worker in private practice in Houston who works with child trauma victims, told The Texas Tribune the rule change was “both a professional and a personal gut punch.”

“There’s now a gray area between what’s legally allowed and ethically responsible,” he said. “The law should never allow a social worker to legally do unethical things.”

The Republican-led Texas Legislature has long opposed expanding nondiscrimination protections to LGBTQ Texans in employment, housing and other areas of state law.

Alice Bradford, the board’s executive director, said she received an email from the governor’s staff recommending the change Friday, three days before the board’s Monday vote.

The vote happened during a joint online meeting of the social work board and the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, which oversees a host of regulatory agencies for professions related to mental health.

Darrel Spinks, the council’s executive director, said he had sought an “informal” opinion from the Texas attorney general’s office about the rule change and that the attorneys agreed with Abbott’s interpretation. “Your rule needs to match what the statute is,” Spinks said.

Francis pushed back against that idea. “Rules can always cover more ground as long they don’t contradict the law, which these protections did not,” he said.

U.S. health officials have identified more than 100 Texas counties, particularly in rural areas, with a shortage of social workers and other mental health professionals. Parks, the Houston social worker, said the policy change could impact LGBTQ clients’ access to mental health services in those areas.

“There’s research to show that members of the queer community … are at higher risk for trauma, higher risk for all sorts of mental health conditions,” he said.

The social work board’s ban on discriminating against clients based on sexual orientation was approved in 2010, Francis said, and gender identity and expression protections were added in 2012.

The board fielded comments from the public after it had already changed the rule. Austin social worker Tracy Abzug told board members that “it’s actually quite disturbing to me that the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners has agreed today to lower our standards as it relates to discrimination towards sexual orientation and gender identity.”

Responding to Abzug’s comments, the chair of the behavioral health council said she would revisit the issue — at least partially — at the council’s next meeting on Oct. 27.

“We will be addressing the issue of gender,” said Gloria Canseco, an Abbott appointee. She did not elaborate, or mention sexual orientation or disability protections.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10/14/texas-social-workers-rule-discrimination-lgbt-disabilities/?utm_campaign=trib-social&utm_content=1603290244&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
LOLOL fuck kinda social worker can you possibly be ..
Oct 22nd 2020
We moved back to get ahead financially
Oct 22nd 2020
Good luck. I try my best to remind myself
Oct 22nd 2020
      honestly, texas makes life much harder than it needs to be
Oct 22nd 2020
           I’m sure there are better states
Oct 22nd 2020
           Yeah. I grew up in Austin, HS and college in San Antonio, and then
Oct 22nd 2020

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24413 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 02:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "LOLOL fuck kinda social worker can you possibly be .."
In response to Reply # 0

... with these types of rules.

What a joke.

Shithole country.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22256 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "We moved back to get ahead financially"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-22-20 02:41 PM by MEAT

COVID is a wrench, but I'm not raising kids in this state.
The goal is to be out by the time they reach school age.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 03:07 PM

3. "Good luck. I try my best to remind myself "
In response to Reply # 2

there is damn near no state where you can get ahead financially and also not have to worry about some news clip or ruling that makes the state seem like a shit show.

Best best is to find a community that works for you and look within when it comes to raising these kids.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 05:12 PM

4. "honestly, texas makes life much harder than it needs to be"
In response to Reply # 3

i dont know if its the worst state on this stuff but i do think there are better states to live in.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 05:21 PM

5. "I’m sure there are better states"
In response to Reply # 4

but the balance is finding a state where you can stack money AND have a state gov that isn’t shitty. That’s hard to find.

A lot of people move south to stack paper but the state government is usually conservative and shitty. You just have to live in an urban area with dem leadership to have some type of normalcy.

More liberal states are either cold af, white af or expensive af.. or all 3.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22256 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 05:33 PM

6. "Yeah. I grew up in Austin, HS and college in San Antonio, and then "
In response to Reply # 4

Houston for five years. ALL of my people are here.
This country overall has gotten so regressive that I don't know where to go from here but this isn't it.
The thing that makes me the most uncomfortable about all of it is the mass shooting normalization.
When my kid goes back to school they're going to do active shooting drills ... and for what, we're terrorizing an entire generation of kids instead of trying to pave a better path forward.
And I don't know where things are different, but I know that's something that'll never change back in Texas.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Lobby General Discussion topic #13409519 Previous topic | Next topic