Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13409366

Subject: "I don't know whether to feel misled or stupid.... Any of you have any th..." Previous topic | Next topic
josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 08:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I don't know whether to feel misled or stupid.... Any of you have any th..."

So i recently was deciding between two jobs i was offered. A brief synopsis is i am a CO resident and i use marijuana sleeping tablets to help with insomnia. I recently had two job offers: one from a CO company and one from a national company based in TX. When deciding between the two offers one of the companies was doing a drug test. Instead of trying to fake results i was honest with the company with the higher offer. I explained that i take THC sleeping pills and would test dirty and asked specifically if it would preclude me from employment. The HR onboarding person told me he would check with management and get back to me regarding it. (this offer had substantially more money) The text i received the next day:

"I spoke with my management and they let me know the marijuana would get flagged, but is not an automatic fail and something you could work through with compliance, especially being in Colorado. Did you have any thoughts on the offer"

The onboarder was informed at the beginning of the conversation was told the circumstances of the use and that i did not have a medical card, because i did not need one in CO prior to me receiving that text.

Fast forward a week later i told the onboarder that i had completed my background check and taken the drug screen which would come back positive. After that i received a text message:

"You will still need to write a letter of explanation fir that and we will have to run it by compliance and up the flag pole. Just pust as much detail as possible and i will make sure we escalated to the right people."

The next day i receive a call from the person i would be reporting to and i informed her that i had spoken with the onboarder regarding this and they are aware.

Fast forward to today 3 days before i start working for them i receive a call for the onboarder that says "We are sorry but due to the failed drug test we can no longer move forward with your offer."

My question for you is: am i an idiot for disclosing this and not just trying to beat the drug test? Am i an idiot for trusting the onboarder and not getting anything in writing outside of a text message? Do you feel that this was misleading at all by the offering company to tell me this is something that could get worked out by compliance and then giving me a blanket rejection once i submitted the requesting LOE?

Not sure if any of you have had any experiences with anything like this? As a sidenote i do not do any other drugs or drink. I am a recovering alcoholic who has been sober for 2 1/2 years and i quit both my jobs. The person from the recruiting agency is trying to speak with them regarding this but at this point i just quit two jobs thinking i was starting a new one on Monday and now i am unemployed.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Why does this feel like a lawyer thing?
Oct 21st 2020
I would not have risked the drug test
Oct 21st 2020
Wouldn’t the test results be able to differentiate medical use?
Oct 22nd 2020
I think he takes THC pills (since he's in CO), instead of CBD
Oct 22nd 2020
You fucked up. Never admit to that shit
Oct 22nd 2020
Some of mine do too. I pretend like I don't hear it.
Oct 22nd 2020
This still the move TBH
Oct 22nd 2020
This is where I'm at with it.
Oct 22nd 2020
damn, that's got to hurt...
Oct 22nd 2020
RE: damn, that's got to hurt...
Oct 22nd 2020
take a look at these articles, might help
Oct 22nd 2020
Never tell any professional that you use cannabis...
Oct 22nd 2020
yep. Its unfortunate but this is how it is still
Oct 22nd 2020
      Hangovers are cute....But if you were high last weekend??
Oct 22nd 2020
it’s tough being honest...
Oct 22nd 2020
what industry do you work in?
Oct 22nd 2020
I never admit to anything that goes against my self-interests
Oct 22nd 2020
that's funny, YEARS ago in military boot camp they have what they call.....
Oct 22nd 2020
Was it the company in TX?
Oct 22nd 2020
When doctors ask before drawing blood
Oct 22nd 2020
So after thinking about it i am still 50/50
Oct 22nd 2020
I feel for you but you fucked this up
Oct 23rd 2020
Never make any move before you receive a FIRM offer.
Oct 22nd 2020
I knew where this was headed from the first text
Oct 22nd 2020
You have to get them pregnant with you before you tell them you are preg...
Oct 23rd 2020

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 08:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Why does this feel like a lawyer thing?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm mad for you.

I mean, the law is the law, but at the same time, if its legal where you are, that company would be stupid to assume candidates from other states where marijuana is legal would not be using it.

I think you did the right thing by disclosing it - because, if things enter a place where this escalates or some action needs to be taken you can say with certainty that you disclosed your situation 100%.

That said, I'd either maybe consider calling a lawyer (again, the law IS the law, it's illegal there but legal where you are) or not taking that no for an answer. Run that shit up the chain and have a bald ass honest discussion about the fuck-shit they are trying to play. Make them THINK about how they are in a dumb position if they want top talent but don't want to budge on their position. In the US, there are now only 16 states left where marijuana use is neither recreational or medicinal.

Now, I have no idea what sort of work this is. It could be one of those jobs where they have to be tough on use because of fears of taking a hit due to some liabilities. But, if this is a job where you're not working a forklift, a bus or an airplane, not on a roof, or a factory floor...what the fuck man?

It could also be some behind the scenes political fuckery and you were on the line and they used weed as a convenient way to move on you.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 08:45 PM

2. "I would not have risked the drug test"
In response to Reply # 0

sorry that happened to you. that sucks.

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 05:21 AM

3. "Wouldn’t the test results be able to differentiate medical use?"
In response to Reply # 0

That is...wouldn’t medical use such as sleeping pills be missing THC?

I would have tried to go without for a week or two ahead of the test

I’ve been smoking daily for most of my adult life

Never failed a test

There are allowable levels

Also, wouldn’t the test also be able to tell when you took the pills based on the levels of your test

IMO, feels like they said they’re rescinding the offer based on what you told them and not the actual metrics of the test

If there’s some way to get a copy of the test, I would have it analyzed

Sounds like bull$hit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 09:46 AM

13. "I think he takes THC pills (since he's in CO), instead of CBD"
In response to Reply # 3

The urine tests for marijuana only measure the THC (or some form of it) levels present, so when and where it came from wouldn't be evident.

Admitting to use makes it kinda hard to get out of. I'd have said nothing and then claimed I maybe accidentally ate some of the wrong cookies at a party of something.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 05:45 AM

4. "You fucked up. Never admit to that shit"
In response to Reply # 0

even if you failed the test... lol.

My coworker has been hinting about smoking for months. I say nothing and trust no one.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

flipnile
13573 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 09:38 AM

12. "Some of mine do too. I pretend like I don't hear it."
In response to Reply # 4

I mean, the ones that know gotta know, but I ain't confirming or denying anything.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 10:36 AM

16. "This still the move TBH"
In response to Reply # 4

it's not legal everywhere, and not legal federally. For example by admitting what you admitted to your employer, someone applying for citizenship could have their application rejected. Its' weird times, in that it feels like there's been a lot of progress and it's all pretty open now, but there's still weird parts of our country where it's 1920's prohibition mentality.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 10:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "This is where I'm at with it."
In response to Reply # 4

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 06:44 AM

5. "damn, that's got to hurt..."
In response to Reply # 0

just take that L and keep it moving... nothing you can really do about it..(maybe but...)

next time, don't say shit...and don't quit until you know for sure that you got the next...

damn.. it's cool, you'll get another one or 2... you were able to get these 2 so you good..

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:13 AM

8. "RE: damn, that's got to hurt..."
In response to Reply # 5

>
>
>next time, don't say shit...and don't quit until you know for
>sure that you got the next...

I had to walk around my last job holding my tongue until those results came in.

Once I passed I emailed my resignation effective IMMEDIATELY!!!

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

lsymone
Member since Nov 03rd 2007
7401 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 07:07 AM

6. "take a look at these articles, might help"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-22-20 07:11 AM by lsymone

https://www.cwcc.org/medical-marijuana-and-employment-new-developments/

especially the very last paragraph

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/state-and-local-updates/pages/marijuana-and-the-workplace-new-for-2020.aspx

take a message

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Never tell any professional that you use cannabis..."
In response to Reply # 0

...not even "work friends" ..certainly not HR ..even if they did hire you, they can hold that over your head from day one, don't give anyone leverage

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 11:49 AM

19. "yep. Its unfortunate but this is how it is still"
In response to Reply # 7

you can talk about getting hammered after work and its some hehehe shit

but we just aren't there yet culturally.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Hangovers are cute....But if you were high last weekend??"
In response to Reply # 19

...SCANDALOUS!

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "it’s tough being honest..."
In response to Reply # 0

you would think it wouldn’t be but people don’t respect honesty.

how hard will it be to find another job?

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 09:29 AM

10. "what industry do you work in?"
In response to Reply # 0

flipnile
13573 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 09:35 AM

11. "I never admit to anything that goes against my self-interests"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-22-20 09:36 AM by flipnile

Okay, that's not 100% true. I do with friends and family because they ain't gonna fuck my life up if they hear something they don't like.

But not in the .gov, corporate and law enforcement worlds.

Had something similar happen years ago at Staples of all places. Didn't even take a test yet, but my dumb ass checked the "have you ever used..." box, and they rejected me just off that.

Easier to just lie with bloodshot eyes.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 10:32 AM

15. "that's funny, YEARS ago in military boot camp they have what they call....."
In response to Reply # 11

"the moment of truth"

when you first get there they get in your face and say you better admit anything illegal you've ever done that we don't already know or didn't tell your recruiter or we'll eventually find out and your life will be over blah, blah, blah...cats were breaking down telling shit they did 2-3 years ago and losing their contractual guarantees lol...once you get to that point they've already done basic background checks and drug screens, if they didn't find out anything from that you're good but it's one of the first of many mindfucks you go through lol

flipnile
13573 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 09:53 AM

14. "Was it the company in TX?"
In response to Reply # 0

One reason I couldn't live there. The views on weed seem so 90s.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 10:56 AM

18. "When doctors ask before drawing blood"
In response to Reply # 14

Nooooope. Never doc

They prolly looking at my blood work like.. “stop lyin’”

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 01:12 PM

21. "So after thinking about it i am still 50/50"
In response to Reply # 0

First off the reason for the honesty two weeks ago was to make the decision easier. If company A had said they would not overlook the drug test then it makes the decision simple go with company B where i know there will be no problems. Problem is that company A has about 50K on the table and said that it would not be an automatic fail and the "especially in Colorado" part seemed to me like their HR knew what was up and had exceptions ready for it. I have been in the mortgage industry for 12 years in varying levels of position and management so i did not think this was too odd. I choose the money and am keeping everything moving to start on Monday. They have shipped my equipment and get a call that says they spoke with their compliance and "there is no way to overlook the drug test."

I don't know what changed from exception allowable two weeks ago to we can not overlook, but i fucked up in the long run because i am unemployed. I have reached out to the CO company to see if they have anything and the initial recruiter is on the case. I am disheartened but will get over it and i feel better about myself that i was honest then trying to get over, but man i wish they had just said nope no marijuana and let me move on.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 12:42 PM

24. "I feel for you but you fucked this up"
In response to Reply # 21

One question. How long did you know about this test? Did you have at least 21 days to prep for the drug test or did they spring it on you at the last minute?

I have and if I’m thinking about changing gigs I’m not inhaling a damn thing.

Just make sure the next time you have a gig lined up. Don’t say shit.

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 01:45 PM

22. "Never make any move before you receive a FIRM offer. "
In response to Reply # 0

Even at my current job, I had zero issues, did the background check which maybe only had one minor thing on it, and I still didn't resign until they gave me a firm offer. Fuck that preliminary shit. And three days before you were supposed to onboard? They didn't handle that well.

Just know that you never let go of one gig until the next gig is sure.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 03:13 PM

23. "I knew where this was headed from the first text"
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49411 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 01:12 PM

25. "You have to get them pregnant with you before you tell them you are preg..."
In response to Reply # 0

The rights that employees have, aren't rights available to interviewees or potential employees.

If you had a job and were fired because you failed a drug test, you would have a stronger case and argument that you are being discriminated against because of your medical condition. I am not sure interviewees have the same claim.

Sorry to hear brother. I think the lesson is lie, try to beat it, and if you don't beat it say you have a medical condition and a note from a doctor that allows you to use the weeds.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby General Discussion topic #13409366 Previous topic | Next topic