Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13409209

Subject: "** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **" Previous topic | Next topic
Geah
Member since Feb 16th 2007
48407 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 08:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **"

Zzz

@geahuwine

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Parenthood and family life can be isolating
Oct 21st 2020
100%
Oct 21st 2020
      This is the reason I haven’t reached out yet.
Oct 21st 2020
           Wow.
Oct 22nd 2020
I personally feel like stockpiling vs.hoarding is a delicate balance.
Oct 21st 2020
I have a bag like this in my trunk. thx for the reminder to rotate items
Oct 21st 2020
im tempted to buy Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
Oct 21st 2020
that looks dope
Oct 21st 2020
      im not quite sure i understand what you mean
Oct 21st 2020
      Man, ROOMBA is a WIN! ... We actually have a Roomba & knockoff from
Oct 21st 2020
Is there a newsletter/Bat Signal for Panhandlers!?
Oct 21st 2020
They are aggressive af down here too
Oct 21st 2020
It's getting way out of hand
Oct 22nd 2020
Last night my mom texted me not to overdo it ( a rant)
Oct 21st 2020
I got mad reading that.
Oct 21st 2020
I just put her to nap. I have 40 minutes to get dressed and eat before
Oct 21st 2020
      No doubt. I feel for you. This is the best
Oct 21st 2020
grannies be wilding! .... felt.
Oct 21st 2020
Update: Sigh ... she went "back to work" today.
Oct 21st 2020
Grandmas not "gtandmas" no more
Oct 22nd 2020
by this time next year, motherfuckers gonna owe me a HUGE apology
Oct 22nd 2020
I think this pronouns shit is so extra and lightweight condescending....
Oct 22nd 2020
your attitude is condescending lmao
Oct 22nd 2020
That's just it though...the whole point is to make folks "comfortable" a...
Oct 22nd 2020
      So if Christina prefers to be Chris b/c she is now he/they....
Oct 22nd 2020
      If Chris says to me "Hi, I'm Chris."...then i'ma say "Whatup Chris"........
Oct 22nd 2020
           conspiracy lmao. good luck.
Oct 22nd 2020
           A thoughtful, considerate person
Oct 22nd 2020
                How is what I typed and expressed not thoughtful and considerate?
Oct 22nd 2020
                     Cause your doing what YOU want and not what THEY want
Oct 22nd 2020
                          I guess I can concede THAT point...kinda... haven't encountered a situat...
Oct 22nd 2020
      RE: That's just it though...the whole point is to make folks "comfortabl...
Oct 22nd 2020
           Real world example here...dealing with it at the job for the past 2 year...
Oct 22nd 2020
                RE: Real world example here...dealing with it at the job for the past 2 ...
Oct 22nd 2020
                     Chris put it on the file cabinet.
Oct 23rd 2020
Labels.. gotta read the labels - RZA
Oct 22nd 2020
Those are prefixes though.
Oct 22nd 2020
Indeed....but it's similar in that it assigns gender that a person may
Oct 22nd 2020
      I don’t talk to enough people for it to be a problem. Someone wants to
Oct 22nd 2020
           but you still use her instead of they for Carey?
Oct 22nd 2020
                I use “they“ towards Carey or about Carey
Oct 22nd 2020
                     They sounds weird to me.. like it’s more than one person
Oct 23rd 2020
                          It’s definitely not the norm. But 🤷🏾‍♂️
Oct 23rd 2020
you will always use someone's name instead of say his or he?
Oct 22nd 2020
I legit been doing this. I started it a few years ago when I was working
Oct 23rd 2020
      idk fam, mario makes it look pretty easy
Oct 23rd 2020
           Jimmy’s new in town. Jimmy doesn’t really know anyone.
Oct 23rd 2020
its doing _a lot_
Oct 22nd 2020
listening to spillage village/earthgang makes me feel old
Oct 22nd 2020
I have a big ole fake crush on a former okp
Oct 22nd 2020
NN
Oct 23rd 2020
To the grave.
Oct 23rd 2020
oh you found champaqueen's twitter?
Oct 23rd 2020
Sunday high: 86F Tuesday High: 49F
Oct 23rd 2020
Boy! I made a bad decision (in my personal life) recently.
Oct 23rd 2020
RIP Kim Massie
Oct 25th 2020

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22255 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 08:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Parenthood and family life can be isolating"
In response to Reply # 0

Complain about work, folks are all ears. But nobody wants to hear your complaints about what goes on in your house. So I often got things I want to get off my chest the same way I do when I have a bad boss. Nothing big. Just so I’m not stewing in bullshit.

Shit makes me miss my 20s and regular happy hours.

Things are what they are though.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 09:24 AM

2. "100%"
In response to Reply # 1

>Complain about work, folks are all ears. But nobody wants to
>hear your complaints about what goes on in your house. So I
>often got things I want to get off my chest the same way I do
>when I have a bad boss. Nothing big. Just so I’m not stewing
>in bullshit.
>
at this point though, the only folks that "get it" are friends who are parents. with my non parent friends, I just don't even touch those topics unless they ask and the ones who are asking are the ones who are at the point where they're looking at the person they're with and thinking "well damn, we might have to make a baby, she is it"

>Shit makes me miss my 20s and regular happy hours.
>

I feel the same but I find that I don't miss the activities themselves but the perspective and ignorance I had. Like, in my 20s and early 30s I ignored my health and I had no balance. I would work 10, 12 and 15 hour days or even full on overnighters and then I would binge drink...consistently.

I got my health in order and the meds I'm on make drinking alcohol a miserable experience bordering on downright horrible. I get dizzy, sleepy, anxious and my BP spikes so hard I feel my pulse in my calves.

I miss the freedom to fuck off with my time. I also realize now that I'm working with finite amounts of mental sharpness in a day and finite amounts of motivation. So, at the end of everyday I'm thinking about all the projects I want to work on but then I have to go play daddy for the last part of the day which for some reason burns off my finite resources at 2x or 4x the normal rate (if I have 2 hours of motivation left, playing daddy for 1 hour will leave me 15 minutes of ability to focus and get shit done)

>Things are what they are though.

It's a double edge sword. I can literally feel the the incremental increases in freedom a second at a time as my boys get older a day at a time. But, the time we have together is time I will never get back. I want to be able to do other stuff, but I know once they are really really independent, I'm going to yearn for this time even though its mentally taxing. It's going to be a bittersweet reality once they are grown and out in the world.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79544 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 09:42 AM

3. "This is the reason I haven’t reached out yet. "
In response to Reply # 2

3 and a 5 year old waiting for me when I get home from work. Wife is WFH while watching 2 kids. I have to play tag, hide and seek, cook and get them to bed..

and then I have to give my wife some attention and time time to vent because she has been home all day talking to kids at school and toddlers at home.

Which leaves me with about an hour of me time while also thinking about what’s on deck for tomorrow.

I don’t want to hold myself to a schedule I can’t keep right now. I’m still trying to figure out wtf I want to do for my side gig/hustle that won’t take a shit load of time to generate some income. I’m all over the place right now.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

darrylclark
Charter member
16201 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 06:29 AM

17. "Wow."
In response to Reply # 3

Just, wow. I'm not alone. Every single thing you said down to the side hustle I can relate to.

<---------------Naima and Nia Simone

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 09:45 AM

4. "I personally feel like stockpiling vs.hoarding is a delicate balance."
In response to Reply # 0

Also, I have been trying to prepare a good "go bag" for years now, but things like batteries, over the counter meds, and water need to be rotated out every so often because they get old. It might be good for me to create a "go bag" reminder to update the "perishables" every so often. And my clothes! No use have clothes in a go bag that I have either outgrown or lost too much weight to fit.

Been thinking about this since season 6 of The Walking Dead....

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 10:20 AM

"I have a bag like this in my trunk. thx for the reminder to rotate items"

Definitely need to add more items too. Flashlight, toothbrush, cleaning items...

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 10:02 AM

5. "im tempted to buy Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit"
In response to Reply # 0

im sure i wouldnt use it for more than a couple of weeks but i just like the idea of it lol

$99 is pretty steep but idk. might do it when its back in stock.

for people that dont know, its a game where you buy a physical mario (or luigi) RC car with an AR camera. you set up a track in real life and race on it using the car and viewing through the switch/tv.

something i would definitely had wanted as a kid

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 10:29 AM

7. "that looks dope"
In response to Reply # 5

I just can NOT take off this tin foil hat for the life of me. The Mrs. wanted a roomba, but Behold-A-Pale-Horse'd the SHXT outta that.

Pull the trigger so I can live thru you.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

mista k5
16412 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 11:08 AM

9. "im not quite sure i understand what you mean"
In response to Reply # 7

privacy concerns? i can see that. from what i understand the game doesnt even save the track from one session to the next. i kind of wish it did save them and gave you the option to play without the RC kart.

ive always rolled my eyes at roombas but um im actually thinking about one too.

definitely not interested in those voice assistant speakers though.

ill let ya know if i end up getting my hands on one of them. im thinking if i do get one i might eventually give it to my nephew and niece when they are older. gotta convince my sister to get them a switch first though lol

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 12:45 PM

11. "Man, ROOMBA is a WIN! ... We actually have a Roomba & knockoff from "
In response to Reply # 7

made by Eufy...
The ROOMBA we got about 10 years ago, and i've had to refurb it once (new battery, rollers, brushes)...but it's still going. I copped the Eufy just to see if the off brand joints performed decent enough to use on the 2nd floor of the house. I actually like it better because it's SOOOOOooo much more quiet. On hardwood, it seems to do the job just as well as Roomba.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 10:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Is there a newsletter/Bat Signal for Panhandlers!?"
In response to Reply # 0

I realize times are hard and I don't want to make light of people because that can be me one day needing help

BUT

Damn if I haven't had a bunch of hands reaching out to me for money the last 2 months

-Dude I used to work with like 8 years ago. Wasn't really Friends, never talked outside of work, but Brotha reached out to me on FB asking if he can "borrow" $40 dollars till the following week.

$40 dollars isn't going to send me to the poor house, and if it was a serious emergency I can use the good karma.

Next week I get a message from him and I'm thinking it's him sending the money back.

Nope an invite for some stupid FB game

-Some lady I hadn't talked to since 6th grade hits me up on FB asking if I have Cash App

-Another Dude, friend of a friend I had in High School did the same thing

Not only that, I know it's an election year but if I get ONE more e-mail from somebody running for Senate/Alderman/Dog Catcher in a state I don't even live in I'm going to flip!

On a similar note, when did panhandlers start asking for specific amounts of money? People used to just ask for "spare change" now I'll have complete strangers roll up and ask for $7.85

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

legsdiamond
79544 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 11:01 AM

8. "They are aggressive af down here too"
In response to Reply # 6

Had a kid that was 17 or so ask me for a few dollars. He wasn’t even homeless as far as I could tell, just had no fucks to give. I used to ask people I knew for a quarter when I was a kid growing up but these were adults, older cousins and shit that we fucked with on the regular.

Every stop light has 2 or 4 people working each street.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

darrylclark
Charter member
16201 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 06:36 AM

18. "It's getting way out of hand"
In response to Reply # 6

I know there has ALWAYS been panhandlers, but on my way to and from work, once I reach the "downtown" area they are at just about every other street light.

Then on the way home, I have to contend with the squeegee kids. And with them, you can't be nice. Every time i've given to one, the others come over asking. It's fucking weird!

And THEN, there are just random kids outside of Royal Farms, not homeless i'm guessing, asking for money.

It's a reflection on where this country/world is heading.

MEAT
22255 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 12:00 PM

10. "Last night my mom texted me not to overdo it ( a rant)"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-21-20 12:03 PM by MEAT

Said grandma is here to help. My parents stopped by Wednesday for the other kids birthday. Drop off gifts and sing happy birthday. I was TIRED. I've been running on fumes since the baby baby came, and to be fair it's only been one week. But it's been a hard week.

Just getting settled trying to get into a rhythm. But also I've been giving my daughter a LOT of attention. Trying to make sure she still feels loved and acknowledged and so far no regression.

The one thing though, grandma isn't helping. She's not making things worse, but she's not helping in a way that is impactful. She cooks meals, but for herself, which ends up using up pots and pans for us later because she doesn't clean up after herself immediately. She takes my daughter, but not consistently, just kind of on her own schedule. She's not really helping with the baby much or my wife. She's just here.

And I think my wife is starting to see it. So this morning I got up, made my kid breakfast, made my wife breakfast, sat with my kid, ate with her, played with her ... then took the baby off my wife's hands and we all played together. Grandma made breakfast for herself, and washed her own hair. I asked her if she can hang out with the toddler for a little bit because she wanted to leave her in bed with my wife ... but my wife isn't getting rest because she moves so much so she actually doesn't need to be in the bed, which is why the past few days I've been taking her out of the house but I'm going to run to take the baby to the hospital for a follow up today so I'm kind of slammed.

But back to that
-Grandma can you take her for a bit I need to shower
-I'm making chicken
-Oh, can she just sit on the couch downstairs while you do that, I need to shower.
-It'll be done in 40 minutes
-Are you doing something with it that you need to sit over it for that time?
-No, it's in the oven, but then I got a work call
-Right now?
-No it's at 3
-That's like 2 hours from now, and she'll be napping then, I just need you to take her so I can shower please

... like why are you even in my house right now?
At the end of the day I'm not going to get this time back to hang out with my kids, not like this ... so I'm taking advantage of it. But help means helping ... and when I'm running on fumes to the point that my joints start to hurt from lack of sleep, and I ask for 30 minutes to shower and you can't even do that because ... why? ... then it's time for you to go.

And me aside, my daughter needs her grandmother. We've been without family for this entire pregnancy and quarantine. At some point she's going to go back home, and whether she moves down or not (she's trying to move down) ... she's not going to be coming over regularly until all of this is settled. She thinks she is. But it's not happening. She'll get treated the same way my parents do at the moment ... we can occasionally hang out, but it'll be outside and with masks and only rarely.

------

legsdiamond
79544 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 01:12 PM

12. "I got mad reading that. "
In response to Reply # 10

When she said she was cooking chicken.. and it was in the oven.

I woulda flipped.

MEAT
22255 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 01:26 PM

13. "I just put her to nap. I have 40 minutes to get dressed and eat before"
In response to Reply # 12

Taking the baby baby to the hospital
Grandma cleaned the kitchen just now. But it was all her own mess that I couldn’t make lunch with before because it was in the way
I’m ready for her to leave. She’s missing layups.
This weekend my sister gave me a mini fridge I had offered to buy one for grandma before she came down to get some relief
She declined
So Sunday I cleaned up the fridge made room in the new mini one. She started to fill it up this morning. These are the same problems we had when she would take care of the kid in dc
She takes over spaces.

Appreciate the listen because only like so many people I can say something to at the moment.

------

legsdiamond
79544 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 02:15 PM

15. "No doubt. I feel for you. This is the best "
In response to Reply # 13

and worst times. That second baby really hits differently.

First one was all new and the second one came home and I was like “what the hell were we thinking?” cause that lack of sleep is real af.

She sounds a bit selfish and that’s the last thing you need in the house right now. That’s more work for you 2.

Good luck and try not to blow up on the MIL. Let the wife do it.

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 01:53 PM

14. "grannies be wilding! .... felt."

...it'd be nice for our moms to come through...but damn...we both know it'd be WAAAAAY more work for us overall because they don't really be doing shit but getting in the way and messing up the routine...

MEAT
22255 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 09:11 PM

16. "Update: Sigh ... she went &quot;back to work&quot; today."
Wed Oct-21-20 09:11 PM by MEAT

Now I really have no clue why she's here. Her original pitch to us was that she had two weeks of leave and could work remotely. That she would get here a week or so before the baby came, work remotely here, then when the baby came she would take her leave to help, until I went back to work and my wife recovered.

She got here, and I worked up until the day before the c section, and I've caught wind of her not helping as much before, but I was still working in the office and thought maybe my wife was just spending as much time with our daughter before she couldn't.

The baby came last Wednesday, and apparently she started back to work yesterday. Which I didn't find out until 30 minutes ago. So what it seems is her plan is to helicopter in and out between working if she wants to. And that absolutely does not work. Because the only way we've managed to survive this entire year is by keeping a tight schedule. So for example she told my kid she'd take her for a walk this morning, she didn't, but if I had known she wasn't going to we'd have gone to the skate park as planned. Or how I took the baby baby to the doctor today and came home to my wife falling asleep with the older kid in the bed while grandma walked around on the phone and my wife asking for some rest.

I have no clue why she's here at this point. But I asked my wife.

------

darrylclark
Charter member
16201 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 06:41 AM

19. "Grandmas not "gtandmas" no more"

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 07:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "by this time next year, motherfuckers gonna owe me a HUGE apology"
In response to Reply # 0

and they should get in line right now.

And they KNOW why, if they've been watching.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:25 AM

21. "I think this pronouns shit is so extra and lightweight condescending...."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-22-20 08:38 AM by FLUIDJ

If you an adult, I'ma just call you by your first name. I don't do that Mr./Ms./Miss/Mrs./etc. shit anyway...never have..never will.

CherNic
37156 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:40 AM

22. "your attitude is condescending lmao"
In response to Reply # 21

"I'm not gonna call you what you prefer, I'm gonna call you what I want"
fuck you

Folks get asked all the time if they have a name preference, how is this different? How is that difficult? Why does that bother you?

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:50 AM

24. "That's just it though...the whole point is to make folks "comfortable" a..."
In response to Reply # 22

gender identities or whatnot....
How about we all just call each other by first names and dead all the other bullshit Mr. Mrs. Miss. Ms. etc...

What's more comfortable than addressing someone by their first name???

In what situation would I ever directly address someone as She/They/His/Hers etc.. ??

This is completely different than a name preference IMO....
You introduce yourself to me by the name you want me to address you as and everything is understood.

>"I'm not gonna call you what you prefer, I'm gonna call you
>what I want"
>fuck you
>
>Folks get asked all the time if they have a name preference,
>how is this different? How is that difficult? Why does that
>bother you?

CherNic
37156 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:55 AM

25. "So if Christina prefers to be Chris b/c she is now he/they...."
In response to Reply # 24

you're like nah? Or you just to refuse to say 'him' now instead of 'her'?

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 09:01 AM

26. "If Chris says to me "Hi, I'm Chris."...then i'ma say "Whatup Chris"........"
In response to Reply # 25

>you're like nah? Or you just to refuse to say 'him' now
>instead of 'her'?

If i'm talking about Chris to someone else...i'ma say "Chris was wildin out in the break room last week."
or
"That's Chris' lunch on the 3rd shelf"
or
"I feel bad that Chris had to miss this going away happy hour today"

How hard is any of that???
I've largely been anti-pronoun since around the 4th grade when I peeped that there was an active conspiracy to make the English language waaay more difficult and complex than necessary.... If there's a word, i'ma just use the damn word...fck I look like using a noun substitute when I can just use the damn noun???

CherNic
37156 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 09:23 AM

27. "conspiracy lmao. good luck. "
In response to Reply # 26

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44829 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 11:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
29. "A thoughtful, considerate person"
In response to Reply # 26

>fck I look like using a noun substitute when I can just
>use the damn noun???

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 12:26 PM

33. "How is what I typed and expressed not thoughtful and considerate? "
In response to Reply # 29

The obvious levity of the last portion that you quoted aside....

legsdiamond
79544 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 12:44 PM

35. "Cause your doing what YOU want and not what THEY want"
In response to Reply # 33

while I get what you are saying you already know why people will view it as being selfish.

I think the whole Cis-hetero- shit is dumb too but whatever. Put all the labels down that you need to feel whole. I’ll do my best but if I mess up or slip up don’t act like I called you the nword and fword.

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 12:53 PM

36. "I guess I can concede THAT point...kinda... haven't encountered a situat..."
In response to Reply # 35

where someone introduced themselves on some "Hi, my name is Linda...but you can just refer to me as She".
But I get what you're saying.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 11:54 AM

30. "RE: That's just it though...the whole point is to make folks "comfortabl..."
In response to Reply # 24

"she sent me an email that said ..."
"He dropped off the machine before ..."
"Christina says her connection to the VPN isn't working..."

Lots of scenarios.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 12:19 PM

32. "Real world example here...dealing with it at the job for the past 2 year..."
In response to Reply # 30

Chris(not real name of course) been working here for YEARS as a male.
5 years ago Chris began dressing in female clothes eventually transitioning to female.
Chris introduces herself as Chris. Presents as female, uses the female bathrooms (whole other labor issue that's being resolved there...) To anyone that has started working here in the past year or didn't know Chris 5 years ago (or during the transition years), Chris is the woman that works in that suite right there.

Now there's peer pressure to incorporate pronouns into email signatures...
Chris is cool on that because a)gossip is a huge thing and pressure point for someone that recently transitioned and wants to leave their former self in the past. b)it's serving as flag and means of identifying folks and setting them up for bullying and hostile work environments....

Right now...i'm experiencing it from a management & employee/HR vantage point where I'm not seeing good things as a result of it....so it's definitely coloring my opinion to a degree. Aside from that, it seems like a very lazy way for humans to relate to each other.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 03:44 PM

39. "RE: Real world example here...dealing with it at the job for the past 2 ..."
In response to Reply # 32

So if someone says "What did Chris do with the hole puncher?" Do you respond "She put it on the file cabinet" or "He put it on the file cabinet."

lol or are you able to avoid pronouns altogether and say "It is on the file cabinet"

just wondering.

I would say "She put it on the file cabinet" by the way.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 06:29 AM

44. "Chris put it on the file cabinet. "
In response to Reply # 39

lol...
I dunno...it's just not that tricky to me lol....
saying Chris' name over and over might start sounding weird I guess

legsdiamond
79544 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:44 AM

23. "Labels.. gotta read the labels - RZA"

MEAT
22255 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 11:41 AM

28. "Those are prefixes though. "

------

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 12:02 PM

31. "Indeed....but it's similar in that it assigns gender that a person may"
In response to Reply # 28
Thu Oct-22-20 12:03 PM by FLUIDJ

not necessarily want assigned to them....

I was exposed to this many many many years ago in the 90's with a gay coworker that broke down his preferred way of being addressed.
We worked retail....in the south where formalities are just part of southern culture (sir, maam, mr., miss, etc.). He despised being addressed as Mr. or sir.... He was expressively gay, feminine mannerisms in some ways but aggressively masculine in others.... Told me very frankly one day.... I wish people would just call me by my fcking name because THAT'S who I am. I guess that was the equiv. of the whole pronouns movement that's jumping off now..... take the whole gender part out of the formal addressing a person... but now there's a movement to put in there.. ?? I guess?? shit don't make sense to me and would seem to be a step back. And now folks are just putting it in their email signatures as some show of... solidarity??

MEAT
22255 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 12:30 PM

34. "I don’t talk to enough people for it to be a problem. Someone wants to"
In response to Reply # 31

Degender or identify differently, not a problem.

So I can’t call it. I’m all for a more inclusive world and I don’t feel as if a fully inclusive world is one that I’ll feel at home with, but I don’t feel at home on this one either ... so at least one that decenters the norms developed from a white religious male world view will be more honest.

My whole life I’ve allowed people to give me nicknames, except for “D” I hate that shit. On a visceral level it doesn’t vibe with me
So in college with Lisa decided to start going by Anna and dating women ... cool
When my good friend Angelina “came out” to me about being bi, none of my business.
We have a friend Carey, that used to be Carrie ... and now Carey goes by “they” instead of “she” ... and it’s confusing as hell. And in the house we still refer to Carey as “her” ... but it’s not a big deal to respect Carey’s wishes

------

legsdiamond
79544 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 12:59 PM

37. "but you still use her instead of they for Carey? "
In response to Reply # 34

and not out of ignorance just out of normal convo that sometimes slips and uses her.

and that should be fine but I’m sure some people would view it as being disrespectful

My friend Jimmy now goes by Alisha. I still say he from time to time because I forget but it’s not intentional. I also haven’t seen him since he transitioned so that probably plays a part.

MEAT
22255 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 01:13 PM

38. "I use “they“ towards Carey or about Carey "
In response to Reply # 37

I use “her” when talking to my wife about Carey because it’s familiar.

------

legsdiamond
79544 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 07:14 AM

46. "They sounds weird to me.. like it’s more than one person"
In response to Reply # 38

MEAT
22255 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 08:35 AM

47. "It’s definitely not the norm. But 🤷🏾‍♂️"
In response to Reply # 46

------

Rjcc
Charter member
94957 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:23 PM

42. "you will always use someone's name instead of say his or he?"

you're being silly.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 06:33 AM

45. "I legit been doing this. I started it a few years ago when I was working"
In response to Reply # 42

indirectly with a real world Pat.
I had no clue whether I was dealing with a male or female so I just always addressed them by their first name, and in discussions would always refer to them that way. It worked, so I just consciously started always doing it when in doubt...and now I just do it naturally. It's more frequently necessary than you'd imagine at my current place of business.

Rjcc
Charter member
94957 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 03:05 PM

48. "idk fam, mario makes it look pretty easy"
In response to Reply # 45

https://twitter.com/OHYESMARIO/status/1319087777888137216

MEAT
22255 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 03:43 PM

50. "Jimmy’s new in town. Jimmy doesn’t really know anyone. "
In response to Reply # 48

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zJgOKjq1zfM

------

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85053 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 10:32 PM

43. "its doing _a lot_"

i'm good at codeswitching when necessary so it doesnt bug me. but i'm not around the folks it'd matter to often enough to where its a constant issue that i have to be conscious of all the time.

<--- Big Baller World Order

mista k5
16412 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 05:03 PM

40. "listening to spillage village/earthgang makes me feel old"
In response to Reply # 0

as in i relate to how old folks were dismissing groups in the late 90s trying to revive old sounds.

these cats sound corny and forced to me but i cant pinpoint why. makes me wonder if the late 90s woke music really was just as corny.

their music kind of sounds like what you would expect a continuation of kast/lauryn/roots/badu would sound like but i cant really vibe with it.

i dont think its bad but i just cant connect with it.

MEAT
22255 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:07 PM

41. "I have a big ole fake crush on a former okp"
In response to Reply # 0

I blame the social meeds for letting you feel like you know folks that are strangers.

------

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 04:39 PM

51. "NN"
In response to Reply # 41

MEAT
22255 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 05:55 PM

53. "To the grave. "
In response to Reply # 51

------

Rjcc
Charter member
94957 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 06:17 PM

54. "oh you found champaqueen's twitter?"
In response to Reply # 41
Fri Oct-23-20 06:18 PM by Rjcc

(I may be mixing people up and thinking of someone other than champa, but that's the name tht came to mind)

mista k5
16412 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 03:21 PM

49. "Sunday high: 86F Tuesday High: 49F"
In response to Reply # 0

been in the 90s all week.

after tuesday its going to be 60 then in the 70s. i feel like i should wait at least another week to get the heater turned on but these nights are gonna be chilly. lows in the 40s.

will i really not need the AC until spring?

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 05:09 PM

52. "Boy! I made a bad decision (in my personal life) recently."
In response to Reply # 0

I just hope it doesn't get noticed.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Sun Oct-25-20 07:07 PM

55. "RIP Kim Massie"
In response to Reply # 0

there are probably only two other okps who will know that name but, damn...

I need to watch the local news more often because I just found out today.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

Lobby General Discussion topic #13409209 Previous topic | Next topic