Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13409188

Subject: "what’s going on in Nigeria? " Previous topic | Next topic
Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue Oct-20-20 07:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"what’s going on in Nigeria? "

I’m hearing crazy stuff in the streets about it

y’all heard?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Neo colonialism
Oct 20th 2020
Are they shooting at protesters?
Oct 20th 2020
google is free...
Oct 21st 2020
RE: google is free...
Oct 21st 2020
yeah, watched this the other day and was like "iPhones!?!"
Oct 21st 2020
That sswwwweeeeet OKP snark. I almost forgot what it smelled
Oct 21st 2020
There's some reporting on it. It's a pretty layered situation tho.
Oct 21st 2020
Sounds a lot like CRASH in Los Angeles in the 90s
Oct 21st 2020
Probably.
Oct 21st 2020
      Do you think the protests are only about SARS?
Oct 21st 2020
           No, not at all
Oct 21st 2020
Man, those were some hard videos to watch
Oct 21st 2020
And those were the *least* graphic images I saw online :(
Oct 21st 2020
thank you
Oct 21st 2020
Thanks for this.
Oct 22nd 2020
ty
Oct 23rd 2020

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue Oct-20-20 08:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Neo colonialism"
In response to Reply # 0

same thing we are under as stolen Africans in the USA.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Oct-20-20 09:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Are they shooting at protesters?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/20/africa/nigeria-protests-lekki-tollgate/index.html

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 08:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "google is free..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/nigeria-sars-what-is-shooting-lagos-curfew-police-protest-b1201608.html

Protests against police brutality in Nigeria have turned deadly, with at least one person confirmed dead and dozens more left wounded as officers continue to shoot at demonstrators.

Lagos state Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu said one person had died at hospital from blunt force trauma to the head, but that it was unclear if he had been a protester.

Amnesty International said there was "credible but disturbing evidence" security forces in the country’s biggest city had fatally shot protesters.

Protests began two weeks ago after a video was circulated showing a man apparently being beaten by police officers from the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, known as SARS.

What is SARS?
The SARS was a special branch of the Nigerian Police Force created in 1992 to deal with crimes associated with robbery and firearms.

Follow live: One protester death confirmed, more gunfire in Lagos today

However, the group quickly became controversial for its links to extrajudicial killings, torture and other illegal activities.

Amnesty International has reported cases of unlawful killings and police brutality allegedly carried out by the group for years.

In June 2020, it released a report suggesting SARS officers continued to commit human rights violations, including at least 82 cases of torture, ill-treatment and extrajudicial execution between January 2017 and May 2020.

Amnesty said the report “reveals a pattern of abuse of power by SARS officers and the consistent failure by the Nigerian authorities to bring perpetrators to justice. It highlights the deficiencies in Nigerian police accountability that contribute to, and exacerbate, these violations.”

What is the #EndSARS movement?
After the video was widely shared, thousands of young protesters have marched in cities across Nigeria with banners reading: “#EndSARS."

The government responded by announcing it would ban the anti-robbery squad on 11 October.

However, the demonstrators have not been satisfied with the announcement and are demanding an end to abuses and respect for human rights in all parts of the Nigerian police force.

Amnesty International has blamed Nigeria’s security forces for at least 10 deaths during the protests.

It has also accused the police and military of using excessive force against demonstrators.

Protests have stopped traffic in Lagos, the capital Abuja and many other large cities throughout Nigeria.

Who has spoken out against SARS and the shootings?
Responding to the reports of shootings, US presidential candidate Joe Biden said: “I urge President Buhari and the Nigerian military to cease the violent crackdown on protesters in Nigeria, which has already resulted in several deaths.

“My heart goes out to all those who have lost a loved one in the violence. The United States must stand with Nigerians who are peacefully demonstrating for police reform and seeking an end to corruption in their democracy."

Similarly, the former US secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, called Mr Buhari and the army to "stop killing young #EndSARS protesters".

Rihanna has said her “heart is broken for Nigeria”.

“I can’t bear to see this torture and brutalisation that is continuing to affect nations across our planet,” she said in a post on social media.

Beyonce has also spoken out in favour of the #EndSARS movement.

A statement from the singer on the Twitter feed of her charitable foundation, BeyGood, said: "I am heartbroken to see the senseless brutality taking place in Nigeria. There has be to be an end to SARS.

Nigerian singer Tiwa Savage, who worked with Beyonce on her visual album Black is King, had called on the star and her team to use their voices to raise awareness about the situation.

imperial
Member since May 30th 2003
3792 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 09:11 AM

4. "RE: google is free..."
In response to Reply # 3

and is Youtube if you dont feel like reading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFzneJNI2RE&ab_channel=TheDailyShowwithTrevorNoah

sosumi
Member since May 30th 2012
858 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 11:01 AM

5. "yeah, watched this the other day and was like "iPhones!?!""
In response to Reply # 4

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 06:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "That sswwwweeeeet OKP snark. I almost forgot what it smelled"
In response to Reply # 3

like.

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 02:08 PM

6. "There's some reporting on it. It's a pretty layered situation tho."
In response to Reply # 0

and you should expect diluted facts/suppressed info from Nigerian officials (to cover up), which might result in biased media reporting. (eg. I saw an Al Jazeera headline yesterday saying "armed men" opened fire on protesters... luckily 9ja twitter showed out strong in the comments to correct the record lol). Your best bet is to just follow updates/commentary directly from protesters on the ground and in the diaspora as things play out on social media.

I'll try my best to add a little context tho (damn, didn't there used to be more okafricans? lol) despite feeling a bit out of the loop having not been raised there/only spending minimal time:

Basically, young people in Nigeria have become fed up with its shitty governance.

The specific issue that sparked unrest is police brutality. *Note: the police in Nigeria are Federal, so "local" law enforcement is better understood as localized federal agents (there's also vigilante/watchmen groups people form to protect their property and neighborhoods, tho I'ved only seen/heard of this in rural areas, but that's more of a grassroots thing and def not the issue here)*

Anyway, the government thought it would be a good idea to institute a police task force dedicated to curbing armed robberies (which sounds like a petty concern, but is actually a widespread cause of insecurity over there along with kidnappings, fraud, etc. I know multiple affected families and one of my best friends was robbed at (semi-automatic) gunpoint on a hijacked bus the last time she travelled back several years ago). Like the hashtags and articles indicate, this task force was called SARS aka Special Anti-Robbery Squad - and by most accounts turned out to be a state-sanctioned gang. I guess the best way for an American to envision SARS is... all the brutally violent cops in America operating under one federally coordinated unit, ruthlessly implementing Stop-and-Frisk, and aside from grossly violating (mostly young) peoples' rights and being unnecessarily violent and sexually abusive also extorting (robbing?) people for bribes just to be freed from custody.

Some recent incidents went viral, and I guess the confluence of police harassment + corruption + covid + chronic un/underemployment + general state failure pushed people to the brink. Protesters "peacefully" (this is important) took to the streets, whch they are supposed to be allowed to do as per the Nigerian constitution - but sometimes the state doesn't give af about the constitution. A protest was happening near Lekki (which is an upscale neighborhood, and may have slightly influenced the state's extreme response in this particular instance given there's been other protests all over the country for weeks, but I don't think there's a valid class-reductionist take here) and according to protester/witness accounts: city lights were (not so mysteriously) turned off, cctv cameras were (not so mysteriously) removed, ISPs (not so mysteriously) shut down networks in the area, and protesters were (tactically) cornered in by fires set on both sides of the tollgate before the military started gunning people down. These are some less graphic recordings that were circulating on twitter:

https://twitter.com/eLDeeTheDon/status/1318637854902358017

https://twitter.com/iambennyme/status/1318719730803478529

https://twitter.com/voteandstay/status/1318643596262866946

https://twitter.com/amos_sylva/status/1318646815198240769

https://twitter.com/FabnonsoO/status/1318638630072651785
^note: I saw ppl saying the guy in ths clip with the bullet wound died, but can't confirm)

The reason I say the situation is layered is because Buhari (the current pres) is a civil war relic (the most recent in a long string of them) who literally might not be wired to function in actual democracy, and some of Nigeria's governance issues stem from the fact that it's not been able to rid these guys from revolving seats of power since the war (tho the corruption, nepotism, violent patriarchy, and general challenges in holding together a Muslim-Christian split country obviously play a role as well). State violence, coups, massacres etc is how guys like Buhari even entered politics in the first place, and it's highly likely his type views civil unrest not as peaceful assembly/free speech/democracy at work but as precursor to war or at least some kind of coup.

So again,*technically*, the protests erupted in response to police brutality, but I'd say there's also a bubbling-over happening of tensions between an archaic, barely-democratic, hyper-militarized, and hyper-patriarchal political class still anchored in the authoritarianism, tribalism, and post-colonial codes/frameworks of Nigeria's civil war era v. a more progressive, more tolerant, more tech-enabled (vs militaristic) and highly urbanized youth who want a well-functioning democracy and, frankly, a well-functioning state. I'm oversimplifying for sure, but the good news is these protests demonstrate that the younger generations are fed up, activated, organized, and will likely go to great lengths to elect completely new and (hopefully) competent leadership in 2023 (which seems ages away). Pre-massacre, I had mild hopes for Osinbajo (Buhari's VP) as at least a more sane/moderate member of the current political class after watching a couple of his talks - but he's done. No way he, other visible members of the current admin, or even anybody remotely like them survive politically after traumatizing the youth in this way --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Nigeria#Age_structure.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 02:34 PM

7. "Sounds a lot like CRASH in Los Angeles in the 90s"
In response to Reply # 6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal

>Like the hashtags and articles indicate, this task force was called
>SARS aka Special Anti-Robbery Squad - and by most accounts turned out
>to be a state-sanctioned gang. I guess the best way for an American to
>envision SARS is... all the brutally violent cops in America operating
>under one federally coordinated unit, ruthlessly implementing Stop-and-
>Frisk, and aside from grossly violating (mostly young) peoples' rights
>and being unnecessarily violent and sexually abusive also extorting
>(robbing?) people for bribes just to be freed from custody.

kfine
2218 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 02:52 PM

9. "Probably. "
In response to Reply # 7

I'm sure there's many similar examples from all over.

But that's why I think the protests are also a deeper rebuke of the poor governance and corrupt institutions over there in general.

For example, even after the gov committed to disbanding SARS, unrest continued bc protesters aren't satisfied with simply returning to a mildly improved pre-SARS status-quo.

flipnile
13575 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 03:01 PM

11. "Do you think the protests are only about SARS?"
In response to Reply # 9

Or are there deeper governmental and social issues, and SARS is the flash point?

That certainly seems to be the case here in the US.

kfine
2218 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 03:40 PM

12. "No, not at all"
In response to Reply # 11

>Or are there deeper governmental and social issues, and SARS
>is the flash point?
>

too many to count

flipnile
13575 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 02:47 PM

8. "Man, those were some hard videos to watch"
In response to Reply # 6

Sending out positive energy for the people of Nigeria.

kfine
2218 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 02:57 PM

10. "And those were the *least* graphic images I saw online :("
In response to Reply # 8

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 06:41 PM

13. "thank you"
In response to Reply # 6

exactly why I come here...

MikaDanteBrown
Member since Oct 01st 2005
6964 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 07:41 PM

15. "Thanks for this."
In response to Reply # 6

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 02:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "ty"
In response to Reply # 6

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13409188 Previous topic | Next topic