Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13408342

Subject: "Flu Shot?" Previous topic | Next topic
SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Wed Oct-14-20 09:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Flu Shot?"

Got mine yesterday. I usually get them every year with no problems, like getting sick afterwards. I hear people talk about that but it hasn't happened to me. I also hear people just generally suspicious of the shot.

As for me, I get it every year ... for now.

Poll result (31 votes)
Yea (26 votes)Vote
Nay (5 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
got them for years, never gotten sick...
Oct 14th 2020
My mom got it yesterday and been sick all day today
Oct 16th 2020
no one gets sick from the flu shot. no one.
Oct 16th 2020
Lol is this a donald trump joke or something
Oct 17th 2020
its called science.
Oct 17th 2020
Sometimes your body still tries to fight it.
Oct 17th 2020
which wasn't what i was referring to
Oct 18th 2020
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oct 19th 2020
my mother just got hers...
Oct 18th 2020
Already got mine. Never been sick.
Oct 16th 2020
I've never gotten one.
Oct 16th 2020
on the fence
Oct 17th 2020
I’ve gotten it once
Oct 17th 2020
only ever felt sick once for about an hour
Oct 18th 2020
Yes. A month ago
Oct 19th 2020
Got mine last week
Oct 19th 2020
I didn't think the spray was available yet this year...
Oct 19th 2020
covid testing monthly and flu shot last week
Oct 19th 2020

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Oct-14-20 09:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "got them for years, never gotten sick..."
In response to Reply # 0

just got mine, Sunday. All good.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 06:53 PM

2. "My mom got it yesterday and been sick all day today"
In response to Reply # 0

I have never gotten sick from the flu shot but, I know it does happen.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 11:33 PM

5. "no one gets sick from the flu shot. no one."
In response to Reply # 2

if you get sick, its not from the flu shot.

that's just not how it works. there are no live cultures at all.

you get sick from something that was not covered by the flu shot..there are so many strains out there...the flu shot is a "best guess" of the most virulent strains for each season...it can't cover them all tho

d

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Sat Oct-17-20 07:27 AM

6. "Lol is this a donald trump joke or something"
In response to Reply # 5

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Damali
35865 posts
Sat Oct-17-20 10:32 AM

8. "its called science."
In response to Reply # 6

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Sat Oct-17-20 11:22 AM

10. "Sometimes your body still tries to fight it. "
In response to Reply # 5

I get the flu shot every year, and like clockwork, about six hours after I get aches, a fever, and shivers. If I pre-emptively take Tylenol it's usually fine. And even if I don't, it's gone the next day. So technically, I'm not sick, but my body reacts as if I am.

It's no reason to not get a flu shot, but I do get a little annoyed when people say it's impossible to get sick from it, without providing that caveat, because then people are more likely to feel deceived if they have a mild immune response and distrust vaccines.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Damali
35865 posts
Sun Oct-18-20 04:52 PM

11. "which wasn't what i was referring to"
In response to Reply # 10

>It's no reason to not get a flu shot, but I do get a little
>annoyed when people say it's impossible to get sick from it,
>without providing that caveat, because then people are more
>likely to feel deceived if they have a mild immune response
>and distrust vaccines.

i hear you, and i see a distinct difference between "i got the flu from the flu shot" and "my body temporarily reacted to getting a vaccine"

there's nuance there. i do think its important to make clear that the contents of the vaccine itself aren't live cultures that give you the flu, which is a common concern.

d

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Mon Oct-19-20 01:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 5

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Sun Oct-18-20 09:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "my mother just got hers..."
In response to Reply # 2

according to her, it made her sick before (which was news to me) but she still gets them for preventive measures. I’ve never had one because I fear the side effects.

the way she described her symptoms
I definitely won’t be get one, lol
I hate being sick...

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 07:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Already got mine. Never been sick."
In response to Reply # 0

---
Love,
Nopayne

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Fri Oct-16-20 09:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I've never gotten one."
In response to Reply # 0

but considering it this year. never had flu before.

weirdly, covid is making me rethink the flu shot.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Sat Oct-17-20 07:47 AM

7. "on the fence"
In response to Reply # 0

my sister got hers last week. She's older than me and reasoned that it might give her some protection from the new spike in covid currently happening.

my wife isn't getting one. She said the only time she ever got one, she got sicker than she ever was. So she's out.

Im leaning toward getting one. Im in the middle(older than my wife, but younger than my sister) and im tending to believe my sister's theory more and more. The job is letting us go to get shots at flu stations that will be set up next week so i have a few days to decide.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18639 posts
Sat Oct-17-20 10:52 AM

9. "I’ve gotten it once "
In response to Reply # 0

I’m all for it, it’s just not anything that ever jumps on my radar to go out and do, for some reason. Only year that I got it, it was because my NP was pushing it on me at my yearly physical and they did it right then and there.

I typically never get the flu. I catch two colds a year, and I’ll get the stomach bug about once every 5 years, and that’s about it.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38820 posts
Sun Oct-18-20 05:09 PM

12. "only ever felt sick once for about an hour"
In response to Reply # 0

that was about 15 years ago.

i've gotten it the last 5 years or so. before that it was every few years.

I haven't had the flu since the 90s. That one hour was the closet thing.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79618 posts
Mon Oct-19-20 08:55 AM

14. "Yes. A month ago"
In response to Reply # 0

Never used to get them.

My youngest had a viral infection when she was 1 so we are getting them for now on just to be on the safe side.

Never had the u before I got the shit and haven’t had it yet since the shot.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Mon Oct-19-20 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "Got mine last week"
In response to Reply # 0

first time as a adult, i'm pretty sure.
I was hoping for the nasal spray, just wanted to see what that was like, but it seems harder to come by.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

handle
Charter member
18953 posts
Mon Oct-19-20 03:09 PM

18. "I didn't think the spray was available yet this year..."
In response to Reply # 15

Maybe it is now, but it's for use in special cases. I know in 2019 it was very limited.

Some people should *not* get the nasal spray flu vaccine:
•Children younger than 2 years
•Adults 50 years and older
•People with a history of severe allergic reaction to any ingredient of the vaccine or to a previous dose of any influenza vaccine
•Children 2 years through 17 years old who are receiving aspirin- or salicylate-containing medications.
•Children 2 years through 4 years old who have asthma or who have had a history of wheezing in the past 12 months
•People with weakened immune systems (immunosuppression) from any cause
•People who care for severely immunocompromised persons who require a protected environment (or otherwise avoid contact with those persons for 7 days after getting the nasal spray vaccine)
•People without a spleen, or with a non-functioning spleen
•Pregnant women
•People with an active leak between the cerebrospinal fluid and the mouth, nose, ear, or other place within the skull
•People with cochlear implants
•People who have taken flu antiviral drugs within the previous 48 hours for oseltamivir and zanamivir, previous 5 days for peramivir, and previous 17 days for baloxavir.

In addition, the following conditions are precautions to the use of the nasal spray flu vaccine:
•Asthma in people aged 5 years and older.
•Other underlying medical conditions that can put people at higher risk of serious flu complications. These include conditions such as lung disease, heart disease (except isolated hypertension), kidney disease (like diabetes), kidney or liver disorders, neurologic/neuromuscular, or metabolic disorders. “People at High Risk of Developing Flu–Related Complications.”
•Moderate or severe acute illness with or without fever.
•Guillain-Barré Syndrome within 6 weeks following a previous dose of flu vaccine.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Mon Oct-19-20 01:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "covid testing monthly and flu shot last week"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #13408342 Previous topic | Next topic