Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13405053

Subject: "Sugar withdrawal is a thing right? Addendum: is sugar addiction real?" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22248 posts
Fri Sep-25-20 01:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sugar withdrawal is a thing right? Addendum: is sugar addiction real?"
Fri Sep-25-20 01:43 PM by MEAT

Like I get migraines but this shit came out of nowhere today.
Usually it’s because I’ve been drinking too frequently. Or sometimes if I go off CBD edibles and come back ... within a few days.
But right now the only difference is I just am trying to go cold turkey on sugar and only started yesterday and out of nowhere today just a complete wham.

Addendum: is sugar addiction real?

The only reason I’m cutting out sugar or trying to is because whenever they’re in the house I feel compelled to eat them. I don’t have an addictive response to anything the way I do with gummy bears or donuts. And like ... I don’t want to be fat.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
hell yeah...
Sep 25th 2020
definitely
Sep 25th 2020
Six days? I've fooled myself into thinking this was as bad as it gets
Sep 25th 2020
I've heard it's real.
Sep 25th 2020
I wouldn’t recommend going cold turkey. Try substitutes at first.
Sep 26th 2020
Thanks. That’s the plan. I’m a notorious snacker
Sep 26th 2020
I agree with this with the exception of grapes (for MEAT's sake)
Sep 27th 2020
      Good point. I actually had to chill on grapes because they aren’t
Sep 27th 2020
I go low carb occasionally and the withdrawal is real
Sep 26th 2020
Read the 80's best seller Sugar Blues
Sep 26th 2020
You forgot to add that it caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.
Sep 26th 2020
Sugar addiction is real AF
Sep 26th 2020
https://examine.com/nutrition/where-do-cravings-come-from/
Sep 26th 2020
once you lower your sugar intake
Sep 26th 2020
Bro, this is SO real...
Sep 26th 2020
drinking soda is like eating a whole cake now
Sep 26th 2020
same with salt
Sep 27th 2020
I drink about a gallon of water a day. Had a soda yesterday
Oct 01st 2020
It's simple. I'm off it and I feel better.
Sep 27th 2020
Down 7 lbs in a week.
Oct 01st 2020
Down 9lbs and still going
Oct 02nd 2020
sugar is poison just like heroin
Oct 03rd 2020

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Sep-25-20 01:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "hell yeah..."
In response to Reply # 0

it's deadly even... I stay knocking it back too. but yeah it can fuck everything up... murders the metabolism which will lead to all kinds of withdrawal symptoms. good luck.

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Fri Sep-25-20 02:29 PM

2. "definitely "
In response to Reply # 0

My wife tried to stop eating any added sugar. couldn't get passed the 6th day. She said it felt like withdrawal

If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

MEAT
22248 posts
Fri Sep-25-20 02:53 PM

3. "Six days? I've fooled myself into thinking this was as bad as it gets"
In response to Reply # 2

------

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23860 posts
Fri Sep-25-20 10:38 PM

4. "I've heard it's real."
In response to Reply # 0

I've heard that people that add ketchup to everything (eggs, fries, steak, etc.) have a sugar addiction.

I'm sure I have it because I'm the living embodiment of the "Now I need something sweet" meme.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Sat Sep-26-20 04:12 AM

5. "I wouldn’t recommend going cold turkey. Try substitutes at first. "
In response to Reply # 0

If you’re craving something sweet instead of eating food with added processed sugar substitute with something sweet but natural - fruit like strawberries, grapes, cherries, pineapple, etc. are all sweet enough that they can satisfy a sweet tooth. They have a good amount of sugar (but not processed sugar obviously) but are typically more satiating per calorie than junk food sugar.

Intermittent fasting is great to train your brain and body to not crave sugar, because it keeps insulin spikes down. Also, sometimes when your brain is craving sugar it’s really your body needing sodium. I read that it can be a mineral imbalance in which your body needs sodium but the signal to the brain gets crossed and you crave sugar. When I get cravings (especially while fasting) putting a few sea salt crystals on my tongue actually works to satisfy the craving maybe half of the time.

MEAT
22248 posts
Sat Sep-26-20 08:54 AM

10. "Thanks. That’s the plan. I’m a notorious snacker"
In response to Reply # 5

So I’m just getting rid of junk food to start.

------

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14000 posts
Sun Sep-27-20 03:03 AM

15. "I agree with this with the exception of grapes (for MEAT's sake)"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun Sep-27-20 03:13 AM by Boogie Stimuli

They're natural but so high in sugar that they'll still cause migraines if you're prone to them.
I advise staying away from pecans too.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Sun Sep-27-20 09:45 AM

16. "Good point. I actually had to chill on grapes because they aren’t "
In response to Reply # 15

as satiating as other fruits - I can mindlessly eat 500 calories of grapes QUICK, just as bad as eating some ice cream or something in terms of raw calories/sugar intake. But in terms of forming good habits, making the substitution is a good start. Once you become more mindful of what you’re eating you naturally start improving more and more - to the point that eating a 100 calorie apple feels like a MEAL.

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10883 posts
Sat Sep-26-20 07:21 AM

6. "I go low carb occasionally and the withdrawal is real"
In response to Reply # 0

There’s usually a fog that sets in after 3 days and lasts for an extra day or two but then it’s all clear after that.

It’s great for resetting your taste buds too. The natural sweetness in some foods you wouldn’t usually consider sweet starts to come through again. My wife often looks at me crazy for saying carrots are sweet but she’s someone that puts sweet sauces on everything

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Mori
Charter member
3527 posts
Sat Sep-26-20 07:41 AM

7. "Read the 80's best seller Sugar Blues"
In response to Reply # 0

Congrats!! Be easy on yourself. Sugar is more addictive than crack and cocaine. It is easier to treat HIV patients than diabetes patients. Sugar is in EVERYTHING!

This book will have you living off of fats, proteins and grains.

Sugar is a drug. It has been chemically altered to make you addicted. The writer delves into the slave trade, the sugar trade and though it is written in the 80's, modern day food additives.

Sugar is the root of all of our health problems. From cancer, obesity, skin issues, depression, hyperactivity, fertility and emotional well being.

If you can reduce sugar, notice I didn't say eliminate, because you are too far gone at this age to eliminate unless you become a diabetic.

I have somehow cut out all my cravings for sweets, cakes, juices and candies. The only foods I find myself eating are high fats and proteins (meats, potaoes, green veggies, ceaser salads, rice, soups, dumplings, fruits).

My fat intake has increased to satisfy my sugar high addiction like craving.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Sat Sep-26-20 08:17 AM

9. "You forgot to add that it caused the extinction of the dinosaurs."
In response to Reply # 7

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Sat Sep-26-20 07:42 AM

8. "Sugar addiction is real AF"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Sponge
Charter member
6673 posts
Sat Sep-26-20 04:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "https://examine.com/nutrition/where-do-cravings-come-from/"
In response to Reply # 0

https://examine.com/nutrition/where-do-cravings-come-from/

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Sat Sep-26-20 04:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "once you lower your sugar intake"
In response to Reply # 0

you will be able to taste the incredible amounts of sugar we ingest on a daily basis. the sensitivity difference in your taste is crazy.

processed sugar is absolutely addicting. there is no other reason people would normally drink 20 oz soda after 20 oz soda, daily.

--------

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Sat Sep-26-20 05:27 PM

13. "Bro, this is SO real..."
In response to Reply # 12

At my best I’m lifting, walking, getting miles in on the bike and intermittent fasting. No soda, juice, candy and maybe an occasional dessert. At my worst I’m guzzling 2 or 3 20oz bottles of Coke/Cherry Coke/Cherry Vanilla Coke a day, with one of them sometimes chasing a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16800 posts
Sat Sep-26-20 06:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "drinking soda is like eating a whole cake now"

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Sun Sep-27-20 10:55 AM

18. "same with salt"

and cheese

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32081 posts
Thu Oct-01-20 08:47 AM

20. "I drink about a gallon of water a day. Had a soda yesterday "

You quickly realize why people drink this shirt everyday.

It’s a controlled substance lolll

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Sun Sep-27-20 10:13 AM

17. "It's simple. I'm off it and I feel better."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Sep-27-20 10:28 AM by bigkarma

The addiction is real, and the really sad part is that it's an addiction where the addict has 24/7 access to the drug. Imagine if a heroin addict could just get heroin anytime they wanted it, cheaply.

I'm a middle-aged Black man, with middle-aged Black man shit... high blood pressure, joint inflammation, family history of heart disease and diabetes... etc.

I jumped on the keto bandwagon, and my numbers got back in the range, I've got a lot less joint pain, and I'm no longer considered pre-diabetic. So as much as I would love to have a DQ Blizzard everyday, feeling better is worth the sacrifice.

MEAT
22248 posts
Thu Oct-01-20 08:04 AM

19. "Down 7 lbs in a week. "
In response to Reply # 0

Cut out processed sugars, doubled up on the indoor bike, skimmed down portions. Stopped snacking

------

MEAT
22248 posts
Fri Oct-02-20 11:48 AM

21. "Down 9lbs and still going"
In response to Reply # 0

------

blackfoot_female
Member since Jul 15th 2002
967 posts
Sat Oct-03-20 02:33 AM

22. "sugar is poison just like heroin"
In response to Reply # 0

it just kills you much much slower. it is as addictive to the brain as heroin.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13405053 Previous topic | Next topic