Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13404582

Subject: "«The tyranny of the woke left» (New yorker swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 10:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"«The tyranny of the woke left» (New yorker swipe)"
Wed Sep-23-20 10:55 AM by Bambino Grande

Why a Never Trumper Changed Her Mind

- “I don’t know anybody who doesn’t wish he would stop,” Danielle Pletka said, of Donald Trump’s tweeting. “But, that being said, you do really have a window into who he is.”

On Monday, Danielle Pletka, a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, published an op-ed in the Washington Post titled “I never considered voting for Trump in 2016. I may be forced to vote for him this year.” Pletka, who previously served as a staff member at the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, working for Senator Jesse Helms, had been a harsh critic of Donald Trump since the 2016 Republican primaries, declaring herself, in another Washington Post op-ed, both “#NeverTrump” and “#NeverHillary.” In her latest column, Pletka expresses contempt for Trump, and says that she fears his “erratic, personality-driven decision-making.” But, she adds, “I fear the leftward lurch of the Democratic Party even more,” on issues such as health care, immigration, and climate change, along with “the growing self-censorship that guides many people’s every utterance.” She concludes, “Trump, for all his flaws, could be all that stands between our imperfect democracy and the tyranny of the woke left.”

I spoke with Pletka on Wednesday, by phone, after her column sparked outrage and commentary. (On Thursday, the conservative Times columnist David Brooks rebutted Pletka’s argument, writing that the Democratic Party still has “a large, strong center that will keep it in the political mainstream,” and that, unlike the Republicans, the Democrats still practice normal coalition politics.) In talking with Pletka, I wanted to understand how Republicans in Washington who had been critical of Trump were assessing their choices in the run-up to the election, when partisanship tends to become even more entrenched. During our conversation, which has been edited for length and clarity, we discussed her concerns about a Biden Administration, whether Trump represents the Republican Party, and how she looks back on her time working with Senator Helms.

I read this not as a happy piece but as a sad piece.

- That’s absolutely correct.

Can you talk more about that?

- Yeah. I believe that everybody is better served by debate. I believe that in my classroom, I believe that at work, I believe that in everything I do. And I really am crushed by this cancel culture, by the bullying, and by the transformation of American political discourse. And, by the way, I have really been happy, actually, to in some ways blame Donald Trump for that. It started with him. What did Michelle Obama say? “When they go low, we go high.” That has not been the guiding principle here.

Trump is probably making cancel culture, however much significance you attribute to it, significantly worse. That’s why I was surprised a little bit by the op-ed, because it seems like his defeat would be good for some of the things you’re worried about.

- Yes, except for the fact that I think the ship has already sailed.

And you think Joe Biden is captaining the ship? You mentioned Michelle Obama, and he obviously served the Obama Administration, and has a long history as a moderate Democrat.

- Yes. He does have a long history. I wish I felt more confident that he would be the Joe Biden that I knew, and by that I don’t refer to the Joe Biden of the Obama Administration, because I think he didn’t play a terrific role in the areas that I focussed on in foreign policy. The Joe Biden of the Senate, the Joe Biden who was a ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, who was a chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, was a moderate. I don’t think that he has much to do with that guy anymore. But I would say, more importantly, that the Party left him behind, and he has had to race to catch up. And the argument that people make—that no, no, no, no, no, you are wrong, because we chose him—I think is a little bit irrelevant.

Who was nominated is irrelevant, you mean?

- Yes. I think that that choice was irrelevant, because I don’t think that those voters are the people who are steering the direction of the Party.

You write, “Are there problems on the right—horrible nasties on a par with the violent protesters who have lately inflicted untold damage on many U.S. cities, businesses and lives? You bet. These execrable gun-toting racists have received too much tacit encouragement from Trump.” Would you say it’s tacit? Isn’t it more direct than tacit?

- I have to think about my answer. I think Donald Trump has played an opposite and equal role in encouraging bad people in the destruction that we’ve seen this year.

I’m asking because he talked about liberating Michigan. And then what he said about Kyle Rittenhouse.

- Well, again, Donald Trump’s reaction, for example, in the wake of Charlottesville was abhorrent. I find an unwillingness on the part of many to condemn the destruction that takes place. The shootings, the violence, the threatening that’s been taking place—I find that also extraordinarily troubling. Now, is it incumbent upon the President to behave better? Damn, yes. That is why, for the last three and a half years, I’ve done very little but condemn Donald Trump on these matters. I try to be fair in calling balls and strikes, as I tried to be fair with Obama. I’m a conservative, so my view of what a ball and a strike is is different from yours. Nonetheless, those things are abhorrent. The problem that I see and the problem that brought me to write this is that there is an almost equal and opposite reaction on the other side.

You follow up that last quote by writing, “But they do not represent the mainstream of the Republican Party or guide the choices of the vast mass of Republican members of Congress.” Can you explain this a little bit more? I was slightly confused, because Trump is actually the President. And so it feels like maybe that does represent the mainstream of the Party, since he is the nominee and extremely popular and the most powerful and important Republican.

- It’s a reasonable question that you ask. And all I can tell you is that when I look at the United States Senate, when I look at the United States House, when I look at the people I know who are Republican—and I’ve been a conservative and I’ve been in Washington for many decades now—that does not represent who they are. Are there people who find that every utterance, no matter how abhorrent I may think it is, is golden to their ears? You bet. There are people within the Republican Party who believe that.

So you’re saying that, when you meet members of Congress or senators, they are as disgusted as you are by the things Trump says, and you see them as distinct from him?

- I think that they do not share his vision. And I don’t think that they share his attitudes on these things. Have all Republicans been as courageous as they should have been in standing up and saying that? No, absolutely not. Nonetheless, when I talk about it, I say that I don’t believe that he represents the mainstream of the Party.

I guess one counter to that would be to say that how they act in public or what they refuse to condemn publicly would be more important than what they might say to you or other people in Washington.

- I think that’s a perfectly legitimate point of view. And one of the things I’ve tried to say to people who disagree is that disagreeing is totally fine. Seeing this differently is O.K. And I more than welcome that. What I don’t welcome is having my motives questioned. What I don’t welcome is being called a racist. What I don’t welcome is people who want to excommunicate me from society because of what I think.

Who called you a racist?

- I have not shared my many joy-filled messages with you, nor what I have heard from people in debates that I’ve engaged in, in Washington, over the last couple of years. It’s not my job to give publicity to people who should have been brought up better by their mothers.

When they call you a racist, is that about Trump? Is that about you working for Jesse Helms? What’s the source of that?

- No, it’s about the fact that I will not sign on wholesale to the notions that are being propagated.

You write, “With Donald Trump, I know what I am getting. He wears his sins on the outside. For good and ill, he runs his administration. I worry more about his incompetence and vacillation than I do about any dictatorial tendencies.” And then you contrast that with Biden, who you feel perhaps is not going to run his Administration. In terms of competence or stability, are you saying that Trump offers something that Biden does not?

- So, that’s a little bit of an invidious contrast, isn’t it? I think that the problem that I perceive is that Biden is no longer really a steady hand. Now, is Donald Trump a steady hand? Well, let’s put it this way: what you see is what you get.

He tweets too much.

- He’s dreadful. I mean, I don’t accept the notion that some of my very dear friends suggest, that “you just have to put him on mute.” No, there’s a package there, sorry. And I don’t know anybody who doesn’t wish he would stop, but, that being said, you do really have a window into who he is, how he thinks, and how he runs things. This is not only an unbelievably transparent Administration in its way — this is an Administration that has been constrained by how many investigations, how many court cases?

Did you say transparent?

- I said it has been transparent in the sense that it has been constrained by how many court cases, how many investigations. Has there been a moment that Congress has not demanded documentation, called hearings, pulled people up, tried to extort, sometimes with great difficulty, from the Administration—

These things happen, and then there will be whistle-blower complaints, and then we find out about them that way. I’m not sure if that’s exactly transparency.

- No, I think you’re probably right calling me out on that. That’s not a great word. And not only that but I agree with you that, were it up to Trump, these whistle-blowing incidents, these disclosures, would not have happened.

What he’s done to government, what we’ve seen go on in the intelligence agencies, what we’ve seen go on at the C.D.C., what we’ve seen go on up and down every government agency, regardless of what your politics are, seems like a much graver threat to our institutions than Joe Biden. Is your feeling that Trump has not done that as badly as I’m saying he has or that Biden would be worse?

- I think that what many people fail to understand is that the kind of predations that Trump has engaged in toward government agencies didn’t begin with Donald Trump. Do you remember the I.R.S. investigating conservative organizations?

I think that the story is a little bit more complicated than that.

- I think all of these stories are a little more complicated than that. But, when you come from the left, you tend to want to believe one side over the other. All I can tell you is that, for those organizations that felt victimized by that, there was a government agency that was acting out its President’s particular politics.

You don’t think it’s reached a new level in this Administration?

- I do. I think it has reached a new level, but I also think that there are safeguards against it. And I am more comfortable with those safeguards than I am with the notion of a Democratic House, a Democratic Senate, and a Democratic White House. An end to the filibuster and everything that it brings with it.

And what do you think it might bring with it?

- I think it might usher in an era of irreversible drift in the direction that I think will be dangerous for the country. Don’t forget, I may not like Donald Trump, and I may not have voted for Donald Trump, but that doesn’t mean that I think socialized medicine is a good idea.

Fair enough. But socialized medicine is something that exists in almost every Western democracy.

- Again, your bias is showing.

Sorry, I don’t mean to make a pro or con statement about what should happen with health care. I’m saying that some version of socialized medicine exists in most European countries, and I think we would agree that they’re all democracies.

- I didn’t suggest that the imposition of socialized medicine was somehow going to end our democracy. I merely said that it was going to usher in things that were irreversible that were not going to be good for our country.

You wrote, “I fear that a Congress with Democrats controlling both houses—almost certainly ensured by a Biden victory in November—would begin an assault on the institutions of government that preserve the nation’s small ‘d’ democracy.” You then list things Congress would do and include national health care on the list.

- Because, again, I think that if you have a unitary executive and legislative branch with absolutely no safeguards other than the courts, that they will usher in—like they did Obamacare, like they did the Iran deal—things that are fundamentally anti-democratic, or at least in anti-democratic spirits, things that will be bad for our country.

I can understand not liking the Iran deal or not liking Obamacare, but I’m confused about how they violate some democratic spirit of the country. Whereas some of the things that we’ve read about with Trump, about Ukraine, or about saying nice things about the people in Charlottesville, violated something we would hope is the spirit of our country.

- I’m not a huge fan of what-about-isms, since they’re easy to apply to almost everything. On the other hand, just because I didn’t like the Democrats doing it doesn’t mean I do like Trump doing it. And I don’t like the President of the United States calling up his counterpart in Ukraine and saying, “Hey, buddy, got some dirt on my opponent?” You see one as worse. I see them all as dangerous.

Obamacare and the Iran deal seem to me like fairly predictable policies of a Democratic Administration, just like tax cuts and the health-care plan Bush tried to get through were features of a Republican Administration. What I was wondering is why these things were threats to democracy, rather than just normal Democratic policies you don’t like?

- Some of them are normal Democratic policies that I don’t like, that I think are dangerous for our country. And some of them I think are anti-democratic. When I say anti-democratic, I mean small-“d” democracy. I think racial prejudice is despicable. I think racial prejudice against Black people, brown people, and white people is despicable. And I don’t want to see a country in which people are told that they are guilty for being white.

Saying this now about racial issues, how do you feel in hindsight about your work with Senator Helms?

- I did foreign policy for Senator Helms. I worked for the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. As far as I was concerned, in my work with him, he never uttered a racist statement, never betrayed a racial bias. To the contrary. And believed more than many of the people I worked with in human freedom, human rights, equality of opportunity. He fought for people who were disadvantaged. So there may have been a Jesse Helms one day who did things that were wrong.

You know things that were wrong. This isn’t a “may.”

- But I worked for him on the Middle East and South Asia, and I was very proud of what we accomplished.

You know his record on South Africa, though, correct?

- I didn’t work on South Africa. I worked on the Middle East and South Asia.

I understand that. But I’m saying you must know about the guy’s career? I mean, the Civil Rights Act, the Martin Luther King holiday, his interactions with Carol Moseley Braun, his ads, his comments about South Africa and African National Congress. This stuff isn’t completely unknown to you.

- I’m not quite sure what this has to do with my article.

You said that you were opposed to racism and all its forms. And I was just asking whether you had—

- Are you questioning whether I’m opposed to racism and all its forms?

I was questioning whether someone who is opposed to racism in all its forms has any second thoughts about Jesse Helms. Yes, that’s what I was asking.

- Interesting question.

O.K., so we’re not going anywhere with that. Do you think that’s an unfair question? You’ve spoken out against Trump’s racism, and you’ve spoken out against racism of all sorts. I thought it was fair to ask about Helms, that’s all.

- I think it’s fair to ask me anything you’d like. I’m assuming you think that it’s fair that I won’t answer certain questions, because you seem to want to trap me and discredit my views. So I’m just going to leave this topic alone, if that’s O.K., Isaac.

You supported the Iraq war, but you wrote a piece about how things went wrong, saying, “Looking back, I felt secure in the knowledge that all who yearn for freedom once free would use it well. I was wrong. There is no freedom gene, no inner guide that understands the virtues of civil society.” Do you feel that we’re valuing civil society and our democratic institutions as well as we should?

- No. Oh, my God, no. I mean, this is something that we don’t talk about enough, and that my colleagues at A.E.I. work on a great deal. I try and talk about this in a way that is coherent and meaningful. What people have fought for, not just in this country but in the world, has been forgotten. When I hear somebody called a fascist, I think to myself, Do you know what a fascist says? When I see people from their perches in universities talking about America being a country that wreaks nothing but ill in the world, failing to understand what we’ve done, what the American people have contributed, how our society has improved, how our society has consistently gotten better . . . Sure, we’ve made horrible mistakes. We’ve done terrible things, but one of the best things about the American people is that ability to debate it, to discuss it and to redeem ourselves. And I feel like all of those questions of civil society, and of the great things that this country has done for immigrants like me, is remarkable. All of those things I think are forgotten. And it makes me sound old, Isaac. I don’t know how old you are, but I think you’re younger than I am.

I’m thirty-seven—no, no, I’m thirty-eight.

- You can’t even add. I’m not that much older than you, but enough that it makes me sound old. And I know that it does, but at the end of the day, unfortunately, because we’ve had it so good, so much better than so many others—think about Syria, for example—we have forgotten to stop a second and appreciate and try to conserve the good things that we stand for.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/why-a-never-trumper-changed-her-mind

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I stopped reading here. It was clear that there wasn't a coherent argume...
Sep 23rd 2020
lol @ this exchange
Sep 23rd 2020
LOL it's like MAGA wrote her answers for her here.
Sep 23rd 2020
      i mean it precedes maga of course but it just makes it more obvious
Sep 23rd 2020
      EXACTLY.
Sep 23rd 2020
      "you're trying to trap me, pass on that"- this is a dry snitch...
Sep 23rd 2020
           even the "I oppose racism in all forms"
Sep 23rd 2020
           Great point.
Sep 23rd 2020
           That comment is exactly why she made the "trying to trap me" comment
Sep 23rd 2020
           100%
Sep 23rd 2020
*yawn*
Sep 23rd 2020
Haha yep. I made it like 3 sentences.
Sep 23rd 2020
i hit the end of the intro before the actual questions as was like FOH.
Sep 23rd 2020
^^^
Sep 23rd 2020
These are the most boring cowards and cretins around
Sep 23rd 2020
Yea I don't understand why they waste time on these people.
Sep 23rd 2020
I'm dubious about that.
Sep 23rd 2020
      Nah. The world was undoubtedly a better place when they were fringe.
Sep 23rd 2020
           I think your header is in agreement with me, lol
Sep 23rd 2020
                Well that's the thing - that fringe did exist before OAN
Sep 23rd 2020
                     this is the issue with current media coverage
Sep 23rd 2020
                     Well yeah, but i'm not arguing the fringe as anything new.
Sep 23rd 2020
This person has severe brainworms.
Sep 23rd 2020
So Basically, All Lives Matter
Sep 23rd 2020
Lmao.. when someone “might vote” it means they are voting for him
Sep 23rd 2020
^^^ what we have to understand
Sep 23rd 2020
yeah, that shit's so cowardly
Sep 23rd 2020
She worked for Jesse Helms for ten years, why is this article here?
Sep 23rd 2020
Why'd she get to have the last laugh, too?
Sep 23rd 2020
I think you've got to clarify that this is Isaac Chotiner
Sep 23rd 2020
don't know of him but that's definitely a skill
Sep 23rd 2020
      I've been struggling a lot with this, too.
Sep 23rd 2020
           all we have is conversation and war
Sep 23rd 2020
                Exactly.
Sep 23rd 2020
                     i hear that same claim from conservatives all the time
Sep 24th 2020
                          Yep. It's so intellectually dishonest.
Sep 24th 2020
TL/DR: 'Trump Grabbed ME By The Pussy, And It Was Wonderful!'
Sep 23rd 2020
lmao :(
Sep 24th 2020
I'm loving the pushback from Black Twitter
Sep 24th 2020

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 11:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I stopped reading here. It was clear that there wasn't a coherent argume..."
In response to Reply # 0

Trying to distance Trump and his views from the "mainstream" Republicanism. And at the same time, trying to pin the more "extreme" of the left to mainstream democrats.

>
>- Well, again, Donald Trump’s reaction, for example, in the
>wake of Charlottesville was abhorrent. I find an unwillingness
>on the part of many to condemn the destruction that takes
>place. The shootings, the violence, the threatening that’s
>been taking place—I find that also extraordinarily
>troubling. Now, is it incumbent upon the President to behave
>better? Damn, yes. That is why, for the last three and a half
>years, I’ve done very little but condemn Donald Trump on
>these matters. I try to be fair in calling balls and strikes,
>as I tried to be fair with Obama. I’m a conservative, so my
>view of what a ball and a strike is is different from yours.
>Nonetheless, those things are abhorrent. The problem that I
>see and the problem that brought me to write this is that
>there is an almost equal and opposite reaction on the other
>side.
>
>You follow up that last quote by writing, “But they do not
>represent the mainstream of the Republican Party or guide the
>choices of the vast mass of Republican members of Congress.”
>Can you explain this a little bit more? I was slightly
>confused, because Trump is actually the President. And so it
>feels like maybe that does represent the mainstream of the
>Party, since he is the nominee and extremely popular and the
>most powerful and important Republican.
>
>- It’s a reasonable question that you ask. And all I can
>tell you is that when I look at the United States Senate, when
>I look at the United States House, when I look at the people I
>know who are Republican—and I’ve been a conservative and
>I’ve been in Washington for many decades now—that does not
>represent who they are. Are there people who find that every
>utterance, no matter how abhorrent I may think it is, is
>golden to their ears? You bet. There are people within the
>Republican Party who believe that.
>
>So you’re saying that, when you meet members of Congress or
>senators, they are as disgusted as you are by the things Trump
>says, and you see them as distinct from him?
>
>- I think that they do not share his vision. And I don’t
>think that they share his attitudes on these things. Have all
>Republicans been as courageous as they should have been in
>standing up and saying that? No, absolutely not. Nonetheless,
>when I talk about it, I say that I don’t believe that he
>represents the mainstream of the Party.
>

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 11:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "lol @ this exchange"
In response to Reply # 0

> I think racial prejudice is
>despicable. I think racial prejudice against Black people,
>brown people, and white people is despicable. And I don’t
>want to see a country in which people are told that they are
>guilty for being white.
>
>Saying this now about racial issues, how do you feel in
>hindsight about your work with Senator Helms? >for decades of race-baiting campaign tactics and vehement
>opposition to the civil-rights movement.]
>
>- I did foreign policy for Senator Helms. I worked for the
>chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. As far as
>I was concerned, in my work with him, he never uttered a
>racist statement, never betrayed a racial bias. To the
>contrary. And believed more than many of the people I worked
>with in human freedom, human rights, equality of opportunity.
>He fought for people who were disadvantaged. So there may have
>been a Jesse Helms one day who did things that were wrong.
>
>You know things that were wrong. This isn’t a “may.”
>
>- But I worked for him on the Middle East and South Asia, and
>I was very proud of what we accomplished.
>
>You know his record on South Africa, though, correct? >opposed any sanctions against the apartheid regime in South
>Africa. When Nelson Mandela visited the Capitol in 1994, soon
>after he was elected South Africa’s first post-apartheid
>President, Helms turned his back on him.]
>
>- I didn’t work on South Africa. I worked on the Middle East
>and South Asia.
>
>I understand that. But I’m saying you must know about the
>guy’s career? I mean, the Civil Rights Act, the Martin
>Luther King holiday, his interactions with Carol Moseley
>Braun, his ads, his comments about South Africa and African
>National Congress. This stuff isn’t completely unknown to
>you.
>
>- I’m not quite sure what this has to do with my article.
>
>You said that you were opposed to racism and all its forms.
>And I was just asking whether you had—
>
>- Are you questioning whether I’m opposed to racism and all
>its forms?
>
>I was questioning whether someone who is opposed to racism in
>all its forms has any second thoughts about Jesse Helms. Yes,
>that’s what I was asking.
>
>- Interesting question.
>
>O.K., so we’re not going anywhere with that. Do you think
>that’s an unfair question? You’ve spoken out against
>Trump’s racism, and you’ve spoken out against racism of
>all sorts. I thought it was fair to ask about Helms, that’s
>all.
>
>- I think it’s fair to ask me anything you’d like. I’m
>assuming you think that it’s fair that I won’t answer
>certain questions, because you seem to want to trap me and
>discredit my views. So I’m just going to leave this topic
>alone, if that’s O.K., Isaac.

in a nutshell she's voting for Trump (let's lose the 'might' part) because some people call her a racist for being a republican, and Trump is abhorrent but he doesn't represent the republican party, and even though Biden is moderate he represents the woke left and socialized medicine is bad, and she hates whataboutism but whatabout the irs targeting conservatives, or something.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 11:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "LOL it's like MAGA wrote her answers for her here."
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Sep-23-20 11:37 AM by Brew

>>- I think it’s fair to ask me anything you’d like. I’m
>>assuming you think that it’s fair that I won’t answer
>>certain questions, because you seem to want to trap me and
>>discredit my views. So I’m just going to leave this topic
>>alone, if that’s O.K., Isaac.

Especially this part. MAGA loves doing this. "You're trying to trap me and discredit my views"

Well ...... yea, definitely. Because those views are racist and the only way to make you realize it is to flesh them out.

But MAGAs have no interest in fleshing out "their views" because then their covert racism will become overt. And that's their biggest fear. They love to "reject racism" and talk about how much racial prejudice "disgusts" them, without ever actually rejecting racism in any concrete way, nor addressing their own obvious racism in any intellectually honest way.

I fucking hate these people with the heat of a trillion suns.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 12:04 PM

6. "i mean it precedes maga of course but it just makes it more obvious"
In response to Reply # 3

the racism is more out in the open now so it takes more word salad to pretend to distance.

they want it both ways. these are the people who love sharing diamond and silk videos to prove they're not racist

but i love the
"I oppose all forms of racism"
*provides examples of racism"
"Well i wasn't there for that"
"Yeah,but do you oppose it?"
"Oh you're trying to trap me, this is what the woke left does and why I'm voting for Trump!"

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "EXACTLY."
In response to Reply # 6

>the racism is more out in the open now so it takes more word
>salad to pretend to distance.
>
>they want it both ways. these are the people who love sharing
>diamond and silk videos to prove they're not racist
>
>but i love the
>"I oppose all forms of racism"
>*provides examples of racism"
>"Well i wasn't there for that"
>"Yeah,but do you oppose it?"
>"Oh you're trying to trap me, this is what the woke left does
>and why I'm voting for Trump!"

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 12:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. ""you're trying to trap me, pass on that"- this is a dry snitch..."
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Sep-23-20 12:16 PM by Cold Truth

"You're trying to discredit my views" is just "I'm entitled to my opinions".

Definitely common- if not ubiquitous- among MAGA types.

To that end, I'd argue that this is a tact most people use when they're faced with a genuine challenge to their views, whatever they may be. People don't tend to want to parse out their opinions, because their brain is already seeing those chess moves that will eventually expose flaws in their epistemology.

It's significantly more dangerous when those views are inherently biggoted and espoused by a massive group with significant political power.

Obviously this is an aside to the serious immediate threat, but I think that this is a collective societal weakness. I'm not sure how to correct that. I think a greater emphasis on critical thinking, the laws of logic, etc in high school would be helpful, but I've seen plenty of intelligent people use those tools to push this sort of nonsense

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:04 PM

16. "even the "I oppose racism in all forms""
In response to Reply # 10

was really just a means to say how she feels victimized for being white

> I think racial prejudice is
>despicable. I think racial prejudice against Black people,
>brown people, and white people is despicable. And I don’t
>want to see a country in which people are told that they are
>guilty for being white.

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:14 PM

19. "Great point."
In response to Reply # 16

In my experience these people are more concerned with being LABELED racist than they are with actually confronting and eradicating racism, both individually and as a society.

It's so fucking weird.

>was really just a means to say how she feels victimized for
>being white
>
>> I think racial prejudice is
>>despicable. I think racial prejudice against Black people,
>>brown people, and white people is despicable. And I don’t
>>want to see a country in which people are told that they are
>>guilty for being white.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:15 PM

21. "That comment is exactly why she made the "trying to trap me" comment "
In response to Reply # 16

Because she knows this subject is a mine field for her.

She unwittingly demonstrated that she sees "racism" against whites as the greater threat here.

What she sees as anti-white sentiment, is nothing but accountability and the erosion of white people's ability to say things with impunity.

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:13 PM

18. "100%"
In response to Reply # 10

>"You're trying to discredit my views" is just "I'm entitled
>to my opinions".
>
>Definitely common- if not ubiquitous- among MAGA types.
>
>To that end, I'd argue that this is a tact most people use
>when they're faced with a genuine challenge to their views,
>whatever they may be. People don't tend to want to parse out
>their opinions, because their brain is already seeing those
>chess moves that will eventually expose flaws in their
>epistemology.
>
>It's significantly more dangerous when those views are
>inherently biggoted and espoused by a massive group with
>significant political power.
>
>Obviously this is an aside to the serious immediate threat,
>but I think that this is a collective societal weakness. I'm
>not sure how to correct that. I think a greater emphasis on
>critical thinking, the laws of logic, etc in high school would
>be helpful, but I've seen plenty of intelligent people use
>those tools to push this sort of nonsense
>
>

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 11:37 AM

4. "*yawn*"
In response to Reply # 0

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 11:38 AM

5. "Haha yep. I made it like 3 sentences."
In response to Reply # 4

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 12:29 PM

11. "i hit the end of the intro before the actual questions as was like FOH."
In response to Reply # 4

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4549 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 03:28 PM

29. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 4

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 12:05 PM

7. "These are the most boring cowards and cretins around"
In response to Reply # 0

I wish news outlets would stop giving them the time of day.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:14 PM

20. "Yea I don't understand why they waste time on these people."
In response to Reply # 7

>I wish news outlets would stop giving them the time of day.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:19 PM

22. "I'm dubious about that. "
In response to Reply # 7

>I wish news outlets would stop giving them the time of day.

On one hand, I'm with you on that.

On the other, I do wonder if deplatforming these people will have it's own consequences, as those people will flock to networksike OAN. That's still niche, but I worry about it gaining a larger mainstream foothold.

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:21 PM

23. "Nah. The world was undoubtedly a better place when they were fringe."
In response to Reply # 22
Wed Sep-23-20 01:21 PM by Brew

They still existed but they weren't influencing stupid people who were "on the fence" about Trump and who end up leaning his way by reading horseshit like this.

We underestimate just how quickly and easily this type of faux thoughtfulness spreads among the ignorant when given the proper platform for consumption.

>>I wish news outlets would stop giving them the time of day.
>
>On one hand, I'm with you on that.
>
>On the other, I do wonder if deplatforming these people will
>have it's own consequences, as those people will flock to
>networksike OAN. That's still niche, but I worry about it
>gaining a larger mainstream foothold.
>

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:43 PM

24. "I think your header is in agreement with me, lol"
In response to Reply # 23

I'm not advocating giving them a voice, because it's really not one that deserves to be heard.

But i think there may be a benefit to giving them a lil 15 minutes here and there either, as they can be properly framed as fringe ideas, citing the fact that those views don't conform to the facts of reality.

I am looking at the potential consequences of shuting out entirely though, and citing OAN as a rising oasis for them. We already have Fox feeding them, and they're increasingly normalizing the previously fringe views of their base.

I don't have any solutions for that problem, and properly framing them as fringe may also help drive them toward other, friendlier outlets anyways.

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:53 PM

26. "Well that's the thing - that fringe did exist before OAN"
In response to Reply # 24
Wed Sep-23-20 02:01 PM by Brew

It was Breitbart, and to a lesser extent Faux News.

Mainstream, more-objective media outlets ignored Breitbart forever. Then Trump came along and Breitbart started getting those 15 minutes ... then more .... then more. And here we are.

They're better off in the fringe being ignored.

So I get the logic in your point. I just don't think we benefited from giving them legitimacy by covering them. Because most of the time the publications *don't* properly frame their ideas as insane and not worth our time. Most of the time the articles are sort of fringe-friendly, even if their ultimate intention is to draw attention to how crazy these people are.

>I'm not advocating giving them a voice, because it's really
>not one that deserves to be heard.
>
>But i think there may be a benefit to giving them a lil 15
>minutes here and there either, as they can be properly framed
>as fringe ideas, citing the fact that those views don't
>conform to the facts of reality.
>
>I am looking at the potential consequences of shuting out
>entirely though, and citing OAN as a rising oasis for them. We
>already have Fox feeding them, and they're increasingly
>normalizing the previously fringe views of their base.
>
>I don't have any solutions for that problem, and properly
>framing them as fringe may also help drive them toward other,
>friendlier outlets anyways.

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4549 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 03:23 PM

27. "this is the issue with current media coverage"
In response to Reply # 26

>Because most of the time the publications *don't* properly
>frame their ideas as insane and not worth our time. Most of
>the time the articles are sort of fringe-friendly, even if
>their ultimate intention is to draw attention to how crazy
>these people are.

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 03:27 PM

28. "Well yeah, but i'm not arguing the fringe as anything new."
In response to Reply # 26
Wed Sep-23-20 03:28 PM by Cold Truth

>It was Breitbart, and to a lesser extent Faux News.

To be clear, my argument isn't that OAN or these fringe views are anything remotely new, just that I fear OAN may gain a significantly greater level of visibility and legitimacy.

>They're better off in the fringe being ignored.

>So I get the logic in your point. I just don't think we
>benefited from giving them legitimacy by covering them.
>Because most of the time the publications *don't* properly
>frame their ideas as insane and not worth our time. Most of
>the time the articles are sort of fringe-friendly, even if
>their ultimate intention is to draw attention to how crazy
>these people are.

Yeah I think this is the critical point here. It pretty much deads everything else I said.

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 12:07 PM

8. "This person has severe brainworms."
In response to Reply # 0

I understand why they didn't, but i wish the interviewer pressed more about this statement.

"I didn’t suggest that the imposition of socialized medicine was somehow going to end our democracy. I merely said that it was going to usher in things that were irreversible that were not going to be good for our country."

What are the things? Elaborate on the things. WHAT ARE THE THINGS.

stop trying to reason and be civil with conservatives. they do not care about facts and will act victimized no matter how "nice" you are.

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 12:09 PM

9. "So Basically, All Lives Matter"
In response to Reply # 0

And she'll hold her nose and support the racist and claim she isn't racist

Smh

Abdul Jabbar, Muggsy Malone you
I don't know what that means but you know what I meant when I told you (c) Sean Price

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79585 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 12:33 PM

12. "Lmao.. when someone “might vote” it means they are voting for him"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 12:41 PM

13. "^^^ what we have to understand"
In response to Reply # 12

"undecided" and "might vote for Trump" and "I'm not a republican, but..." = definitely voting for Trump.

There is no in-between with this dude, so anybody pretending to be on some kind of fence is just lying.

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:02 PM

15. "yeah, that shit's so cowardly"
In response to Reply # 12

it's the person who chimes in on every FB political post to defend Trump with, look I'm not a Trump guy but...

own your shit.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 12:42 PM

14. "She worked for Jesse Helms for ten years, why is this article here?"
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 01:45 PM

25. "Why'd she get to have the last laugh, too?"
In response to Reply # 0

Weird choice on the part of the interviewer/editor to end the article with her making fun of this guy for forgetting his age.

I guess it makes her definitively look like the asshole here - unless you're in agreement, in which case she got 'eeeeem and there's truly no point to this being published.

Bad look for a good magazine. Oh well, put her name up on the board.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 03:46 PM

30. "I think you've got to clarify that this is Isaac Chotiner"
In response to Reply # 0

His whole thing is interviewing this miserable dummies and feeding them their own words back until they choke. It's kind of remarkable that folks still do interviews with them, because people reliably look pretty stupid.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 08:21 PM

32. "don't know of him but that's definitely a skill"
In response to Reply # 30

I'm legit jealous of people i see do this in conversation with people they disagree with. I usually just find myself getting pissed off and thinking later what i should have said/asked.

I'm torn on who is worth engaging. Looking at cold truth and brew's exchange above. I hate bubbles and I only feel like things will get worse as we retreat to them, but at the same time I don't know where the line is drawn with who even deserves to be engaged. This lady is supposed to be one of those 'republican classic' types, but this interview is a reminder of what trash so many of these people are. I feel like her main gripe with Trump is that he makes it harder for people like her to pretend.

>His whole thing is interviewing this miserable dummies and
>feeding them their own words back until they choke. It's kind
>of remarkable that folks still do interviews with them,
>because people reliably look pretty stupid.

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 09:06 PM

33. "I've been struggling a lot with this, too."
In response to Reply # 32
Wed Sep-23-20 09:08 PM by Brew

But I've often found that those I thought were "worth engaging" only end up retreating further into their right-wing bubbles and digging their heels in, despite being presented with endless evidence that they're wrong. They always come up with *something* to defend their bullshit positions, even if all they come up with are baseless, empty words. They just say things that make sense in their stupid heads, even if what they say runs counter to all available evidence, and nothing changes.

These people are self-proclaimed "conservatives" but not necessarily Trump people. But they will IMO undoubtedly vote for Trump because "Biden wouldn't be much better" or "it's better than democrats having power" or some similar bullshit we've all heard a million times.

Even if Trump loses in November and is somehow removed from office (whether voluntarily or, more likely, via force) we've got a long way to go to undo the damage he's done to just basic discourse and to get through to conservatives - no matter how extreme or moderate - that it's OK to trust facts again. If we ever get this asshole out of office, that will be one of the most impactful and long-lasting of all the catastrophes he's inflicted on the world over the past 5 years - his endless war against truth and facts. How do you even begin to address and reverse that ?!

>I'm torn on who is worth engaging. Looking at cold truth and
>brew's exchange above. I hate bubbles and I only feel like
>things will get worse as we retreat to them, but at the same
>time I don't know where the line is drawn with who even
>deserves to be engaged. This lady is supposed to be one of
>those 'republican classic' types, but this interview is a
>reminder of what trash so many of these people are. I feel
>like her main gripe with Trump is that he makes it harder for
>people like her to pretend.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 10:00 PM

34. "all we have is conversation and war"
In response to Reply # 33

i don't where we're headed if everyone just retreats further into their respective bubbles.

the problem is as you pointed out is too many of these conversations are only pretending to be in good faith, and as people become more radical and the fringe becomes the mainstream are we supposed engage someone who believes in Qanon like they're normal? because fuck that.

after 8 years of these people pretending that Obama was divisive then choosing the most divisive president in our lifetimes, i don't know how you put the genie back in the bottle.

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 10:12 PM

35. "Exactly."
In response to Reply # 34
Wed Sep-23-20 10:14 PM by Brew

One group is arguing in good faith using objective evidence and facts. The other is just screaming "that's my opinion," shrugging their shoulders, and laughing about their preferred party stealing power and demolishing American institutions that they pretend to love.

It's so frustrating and so disgusting.

>i don't where we're headed if everyone just retreats further
>into their respective bubbles.
>
>the problem is as you pointed out is too many of these
>conversations are only pretending to be in good faith, and as
>people become more radical and the fringe becomes the
>mainstream are we supposed engage someone who believes in
>Qanon like they're normal? because fuck that.
>
>after 8 years of these people pretending that Obama was
>divisive then choosing the most divisive president in our
>lifetimes, i don't know how you put the genie back in the
>bottle.
>

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Thu Sep-24-20 03:02 AM

37. "i hear that same claim from conservatives all the time"
In response to Reply # 35

that they're the ones just stating facts, and citing statistics and liberals just operate off emotion and want to call everyone who disagrees with them racist.
The ones who enjoy getting in endless back and forths will have a few whatabout anecdotes on deck about chicago crime statisics or the left consistently getting something wrong like what the A in AR15 stands for.

>One group is arguing in good faith using objective evidence
>and facts. The other is just screaming "that's my opinion,"

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Sep-24-20 09:40 AM

39. "Yep. It's so intellectually dishonest."
In response to Reply # 37

They offer cherrypicked "stats" that fit their smallminded narratives, and then send a bunch of thinkpieces from the handful of black scholars who happen to agree with them, or some shit like that. It's so obvious and transparent, yet they're defiant and assholish as they spew this garbage.

>that they're the ones just stating facts, and citing
>statistics and liberals just operate off emotion and want to
>call everyone who disagrees with them racist.
>The ones who enjoy getting in endless back and forths will
>have a few whatabout anecdotes on deck about chicago crime
>statisics or the left consistently getting something wrong
>like what the A in AR15 stands for.
>
>>One group is arguing in good faith using objective evidence
>>and facts. The other is just screaming "that's my opinion,"

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Sep-23-20 05:22 PM

31. "TL/DR: 'Trump Grabbed ME By The Pussy, And It Was Wonderful!'"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-23-20 05:23 PM by Dr Claw

man, GTFOH

no one wants to hear your bullshit, Status Quo Warrior sob story about the "woke" left, who holds 0 power in the United States of Assholia.

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Thu Sep-24-20 02:03 AM

36. "lmao :("
In response to Reply # 31

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Sep-24-20 09:26 AM

38. "I'm loving the pushback from Black Twitter "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-24-20 09:27 AM by Amritsar

it really picked up steam after the Kamala announcement. When rose twitter predictably wanted Liz Warren over Kamala

There are some must follow accounts (by people who truly represent the core of the Democratic Party) that put these kids in their place

The adults in the party. If you will

Lobby General Discussion topic #13404582 Previous topic | Next topic