Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13404332

Subject: "DOJ Designates New York City as an “Anarchist Jurisdiction”" Previous topic | Next topic
Numba_33
Charter member
19327 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 09:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"DOJ Designates New York City as an “Anarchist Jurisdiction”"

link: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/doj-designates-new-york-city-as-an-anarchist-jurisdiction/2627588/

swipe:

DOJ Designates New York City as an “Anarchist Jurisdiction”

The designation comes after a memo from President Trump earlier this month threatening to cut off federal funds for cities

New York City is one of three places that "have permitted violence and destruction of property to persist and have refused to undertake reasonable measures to counteract criminal activities," leading to its designation as an "anarchist jurisdiction," the Justice Department said Monday.

Rather than idle words, the designation has potential financial consequences. President Trump issued a memo earlier this month directing the DOJ to identify jurisdictions that, in its view, were not enforcing the law appropriately. Designated cities could lose their federal funding.

NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio minced no words in responding to the DOJ assessment.

“I was out in Elmhurst Queens this morning, I saw peace, tranquility, I saw people going about their business, people excited that it’s the first day of school – I saw anything but anarchy. This is just another one of President Trump’s games,” he said at his daily news conference. “It’s insulting to the people of New York City and his effort to withhold our funding is unconstitutional.”

The city's top lawyer said his office was preparing to fight any funding cuts in court.

Trump's Sept. 2 order gives the director of the Office of Management and Budget 30 days to issue guidance to federal agencies on restricting eligibility for federal grants for the cities on the DOJ list. Such grants make up a huge portion of NYC's already strapped annual budget -- more than $7 billion in fiscal 2021 alone, or 7.5% of the city's projected total revenue.

In justifying its decision, the DOJ cited New York City's rising gun violence, cuts to the NYPD's budget, and moves by various district attorneys not to prosecute charges related to protests earlier this summer.

“We cannot allow federal tax dollars to be wasted when the safety of the citizenry hangs in the balance. It is my hope that the cities identified by the Department of Justice today will reverse course and become serious about performing the basic function of government and start protecting their own citizens," Attorney General William Barr said in a statement.

Both the city and the state have previously threatened to sue the federal government over the possible DOJ classification.

Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington were also hit with the same designation.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Checks and balances
Sep 21st 2020
Perhaps NYC should stop paying federal taxes then
Sep 21st 2020
I'd rather not go the way of the USSR without thinking it through
Sep 21st 2020
Next article being written: How this is the fault of the Democrats
Sep 21st 2020
Damn. What a weird escalation.
Sep 21st 2020
they want chaos
Sep 21st 2020
So Barr is going DEFUND the police in those cities?
Sep 21st 2020
Rare that a Trumpian insult makes a place look so cool
Sep 21st 2020
Thought I would kick this thread up
Jan 07th 2021

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22256 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 10:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Checks and balances"
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 10:21 AM

2. "Perhaps NYC should stop paying federal taxes then"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22256 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 10:33 AM

3. "I'd rather not go the way of the USSR without thinking it through"
In response to Reply # 2

A slow motion secession driven by corruption and and racism doesn't lead to an ideal future.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 10:36 AM

4. "Next article being written: How this is the fault of the Democrats"
In response to Reply # 0

And look at the Republican COWARDS who are not speaking out.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 12:00 PM

5. "Damn. What a weird escalation."
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, its very on brand for america, but shit.

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 12:48 PM

6. "they want chaos"
In response to Reply # 5

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 01:27 PM

7. "So Barr is going DEFUND the police in those cities?"
In response to Reply # 5

Makes sense.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 02:02 PM

8. "Rare that a Trumpian insult makes a place look so cool"
In response to Reply # 0

Like the mayor resigned and Abdullah Ocalan ambled in for the gentlest coup ever.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Numba_33
Charter member
19327 posts
Thu Jan-07-21 08:43 AM

9. "Thought I would kick this thread up"
In response to Reply # 0

as an ironic reminder of what Trump had William Barr denote NYC, Portland, and Seattle roughly three months ago juxtaposed with what went down yesterday in the nation's capital.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13404332 Previous topic | Next topic