Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13404006

Subject: "Trump did an entire press conference to attack the "1619 Project"" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6565 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 09:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Trump did an entire press conference to attack the "1619 Project""

and "critical race theory." (Three words he doesn't know the meaning of individually or when put together). They've figured out that he can't run against Biden but he can run against Black people and this was a speech as part of that campaign

He he called them forms of child abuse in an effort to get his violent QAnon zombies on the case.

He also announced an Executive Order to create the "1776 Commission" whose mission is to restore "patriotic education."

The author of "The Family" has an excellent thread on this attack's roots in Christian Fundamentalism (in addition to the obvious Stephen Miller/David Horowitz white nationalism that Trump was parroting)

https://twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/1306941956019322880?s=20

This is incredibly chilling and actually matters because it is a preview of what is to come should he remain installed. They are actively working to criminalize activists (see: Barr wanting to charge people w/ sedition), journalists, and intellectuals. In addition they are putting targets on their back for their violent supporters many of whom are LEO.

---

https://apnews.com/afdfa0b3454d5a7fdf544158ee1f5e1f

Trump Downplays Legacy of Slavery in Appeal to White Voters

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump intensified efforts to appeal to his core base of white voters on Thursday by downplaying the historical legacy of slavery in the United States and blasting efforts to address systemic racism as divisive.

The president’s comments marking the 233rd anniversary of the signing of the Constitution amounted to a defense of white culture and a denunciation of Democrats, the media and others who he accused of trying to indoctrinate school children and shame their parents’ “whiteness.”

He also argued that America’s founding “set in motion the unstoppable chain of events that abolished slavery, secured civil rights, defeated communism and fascism and built the most fair, equal and prosperous nation in human history.” But he did not mention the 246 years of slavery in America, including the 89 years it was allowed to continue after the colonies declared independence from England. Nor did the president acknowledge the ongoing fight against racial injustice and police brutality, which has prompted months of protests this year.

Trump has long fanned the nation’s culture wars, including defending the display of the Confederate battle flag and monuments of Civil War rebels from protesters seeking their removal. His speech Thursday suggested his rhetoric could become even more pointed in the final weeks before the election, given that his path to a second term relies largely on energizing culturally conservative white voters.

“For many years now, the radicals have mistaken Americans’ silence for weakness. But they are wrong,” Trump said. “There is no more powerful force than a parent’s love for their children — and patriotic moms and dads are going to demand that their children are no longer fed hateful lies about this country.”

Trump has already cracked down on anti-racism training sessions in federal agencies. He said Thursday he will soon sign an order to establish a commission to promote patriotic education dubbed the 1776 Commission. The panel, he said, would be tasked with encouraging educators to teach students “about the miracle of American history” and plan for the commemoration of the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

The move is a response to The New York Times’ “1619 Project,” which highlights the long-term consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans.

The project began after The New York Times Magazine published a series on the 400th anniversary of slavery in the United States. Nikole Hannah-Jones won a Pulitzer Prize for her piece in the magazine. Her essay was titled “The 1619 Project,” because in late August of that year, a ship arrived in American with some 20 to 30 enslaved Africans, marking the first arrival of slaves.

The project evolved from the essay and, with help from the Pulitzer Center, educational materials were developed to enhance the knowledge about slavery, not rewrite history, according to the Times.

“American parents are not going to accept indoctrination in our schools, cancel culture at work, or the repression of traditional faith, culture and values in the public square,” Trump said. “Not anymore.”

In response to Trump’s remarks, Hannah-Jones said the First Amendment to the Constitution abhors government attempts to censor speech and guarantees a free press.

“The efforts by the president of the United States to use his powers to censor a work of American journalism by dictating what schools can and cannot teach and what American children should and should not learn should be deeply alarming to all Americans who value free speech,” she said.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
At the same time
Sep 18th 2020
Some white people stopped educating their own kids instead of integrate
Sep 18th 2020
      I been looking at this “Pods” movement real sideways....
Sep 18th 2020
It's almost impossible to believe he exists.
Sep 18th 2020
Has he ever NOT been that though?
Sep 18th 2020
That's what's so weird to me, too.
Sep 18th 2020
he's a poor person's idea of a rich person
Sep 18th 2020
      he's a poor idea of a person
Sep 18th 2020
lol earie indiana even....
Sep 18th 2020
you just said the EXACT reason why biden should be president.
Sep 18th 2020
      Yea man. It's a human vs. an organism we can't identify.
Sep 18th 2020
Trump's just laying the groundwork for the future Ministry of Truth.
Sep 18th 2020
Here's the Dir. of OMB Russ Vought asking people report CRT trainings
Sep 18th 2020
the only time slavery should be mentioned
Sep 18th 2020
This. It's a common, disgusting tact.
Sep 20th 2020
The Counter-Revolution of 1776 by Gerald Horne
Sep 21st 2020

Numba_33
Charter member
19320 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 09:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "At the same time"
In response to Reply # 0

schools even opening up is in question due to the shoddy national response to COVID-19.

It'll be truly sad and revealing if Trump's lowest common denominator racism will be enough to win him a second term.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22255 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 10:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Some white people stopped educating their own kids instead of integrate"
In response to Reply # 1

Nothing new under the sun.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44611 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 10:19 AM

5. " I been looking at this “Pods” movement real sideways.... "
In response to Reply # 4

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24409 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 09:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "It's almost impossible to believe he exists."
In response to Reply # 0

This tweet nailed it.

https://twitter.com/acitrano/status/1303119380151115777?s=20

Anyway it's hard to come up with words anymore. This man - and all his sycophants and followers - is abhorrent, despicable.

Hard to believe what's happened in just 4 years.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22255 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 10:25 AM

6. "Has he ever NOT been that though?"
In response to Reply # 2

He's been a dirtbag my ENTIRE life. To the point that Hollywood and television modeled numerous villains after him.

Future Biff from Back to the Future II (1989)

An episode of Eerie, Indiana (1993) https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/1304524253228871682?s=20

Doonsbury 1999
https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2016/09/Trump-Doonesbury.jpg?w=994

The Simpsons episode where Lisa is president

Sesame Street 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQyTpPu0gvc

Likely King Koopa from the Mario movie.

Like the only time he's been lauded was in rap music. Everywhere else he's been TRASH.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Brew
24409 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "That's what's so weird to me, too."
In response to Reply # 6

What has been his appeal, ever ? Like I understand why people revered his money from a distance ... but why did he keep getting propped up by journalists, and NBC, etc. over the years ? I'll never understand what made people want to cover him or be around him.

He never actually had that type of money. It was a farce.

But mainstream media and pop culture kept mentioning him and mentioning him and covering him and giving him life he never fucking deserved. Because, as you rightly point out, HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A DESPICABLE PIECE OF SHIT.

He should've never even had the platform to become prez.

It's so fucking weird to me. And now when I see old movies, or hear old songs, or anything that came before all of this (and even before The Apprentice) and I hear someone mention his name as like the personification of "wealth" my jaw drops. His name came up in the most random, strange places.

>He's been a dirtbag my ENTIRE life. To the point that
>Hollywood and television modeled numerous villains after him.
>
>Future Biff from Back to the Future II (1989)
>
>An episode of Eerie, Indiana (1993)
>https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/1304524253228871682?s=20
>
>Doonsbury 1999
>https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2016/09/Trump-Doonesbury.jpg?w=994
>
>The Simpsons episode where Lisa is president
>
>Sesame Street 2005
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQyTpPu0gvc
>
>Likely King Koopa from the Mario movie.
>
>
>Like the only time he's been lauded was in rap music.
>Everywhere else he's been TRASH.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38810 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 12:48 PM

13. "he's a poor person's idea of a rich person"
In response to Reply # 9

to piggyback that John Mulaney bit

he's kind of a rogue rich guy and there's an almost outlaw appeal to a certain type of american to the in your face anti-intellectual guy doing things his own way. They don't believe they're being scammed because they think he's one of them, especially once he dove more into the fed up white man thing.
Same people who can't stand those darn flashy rappers in front of their planes and bentleys are all good with the NYer who shits in a gold toilet.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 01:17 PM

14. "he's a poor idea of a person"
In response to Reply # 13

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 12:32 PM

11. "lol earie indiana even...."
In response to Reply # 6

simpsons and doonsbury to be expected and known... but earie indiana is taking it back. wow.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 11:46 AM

7. "you just said the EXACT reason why biden should be president. "
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Sep-18-20 11:47 AM by double negative

>Anyway it's hard to come up with words anymore.

exactly. trump the person and the cult and culture of trumpism have done a fanstastic job at killing off traction and legitimacy of any real critcism or counter activity. You cannot fight him directly, he will outmaneuver with use of ambiguous language. You cannot make an appeal to morals because the conversation will shift bad things YOU have done. You cannot hope his support drops because his base is unwavering.

I used to think his support would drop if he went into fully supporting BLM or defunding the police but I think his supporters would just go with it. They'd say "...alright, well, I don't get it brother, but uh, if you're down for Tyrone, then I think we're all down for Tyrone"

The left would roll their eyes because dude cannot be trusted do anything right. He'd support BLM but he do weird shit like, I dunno, post a photo of him eating a mega slice of watermelon (with a fork and knife) with a caption that reads "Black people built this country and have made lots of wonderful contributions! They invented watermlon! DELICIOUS!"

with Biden or anyone BUT trump you could at least be sure you could counter shit and enter the discussion using traditional methods

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Brew
24409 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 12:27 PM

10. "Yea man. It's a human vs. an organism we can't identify."
In response to Reply # 7

That's what I keep saying to people who are like "yea Trump's pretty awful but you think BIDEN is better ?!" (something which has been said in my presence more than I care to disclose).

And my response is pretty much "yep - 100%. Biden is a human being. Which is more than we have right now."

Cuz as you say, trying to objectively parse the differences between them and the things they stand for, etc., is futile.

And I don't even like Biden like that !! But fucking A I'd vote for George W Bush over Trump.

>>Anyway it's hard to come up with words anymore.
>
>
>
>exactly. trump the person and the cult and culture of trumpism
>have done a fanstastic job at killing off traction and
>legitimacy of any real critcism or counter activity. You
>cannot fight him directly, he will outmaneuver with use of
>ambiguous language. You cannot make an appeal to morals
>because the conversation will shift bad things YOU have done.
>You cannot hope his support drops because his base is
>unwavering.
>
>I used to think his support would drop if he went into fully
>supporting BLM or defunding the police but I think his
>supporters would just go with it. They'd say "...alright,
>well, I don't get it brother, but uh, if you're down for
>Tyrone, then I think we're all down for Tyrone"
>
>The left would roll their eyes because dude cannot be trusted
>do anything right. He'd support BLM but he do weird shit like,
>I dunno, post a photo of him eating a mega slice of watermelon
>(with a fork and knife) with a caption that reads "Black
>people built this country and have made lots of wonderful
>contributions! They invented watermlon! DELICIOUS!"
>
>
>with Biden or anyone BUT trump you could at least be sure you
>could counter shit and enter the discussion using traditional
>methods
>

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13561 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 10:08 AM

3. "Trump's just laying the groundwork for the future Ministry of Truth."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-18-20 10:10 AM by flipnile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministries_of_Nineteen_Eighty-Four#Ministry_of_Truth

He'd probably set up CCP-style re-education camps if he could for things like flag burning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang_re-education_camps

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6565 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 12:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Here's the Dir. of OMB Russ Vought asking people report CRT trainings"
In response to Reply # 3

And people wonder why I refuse to suffer fools who both-sides and falsely equivocate. People who do are complicit.

https://twitter.com/RussVought45/status/1306386119412641795?s=20

"Last week @realDonaldTrump asked people to report any sightings of #CriticalRaceTheory “training.” We have been working with agencies to identify un-American trainings. We have set up an email to report these sightings. These must be stopped!"

Envelope with downwards arrow above FEDalerts@omb.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Mynoriti
Charter member
38810 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 12:22 PM

8. "the only time slavery should be mentioned"
In response to Reply # 0

is when white people are asked to do anything slightly inconvenient, like wear a mask in target.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44828 posts
Sun Sep-20-20 12:16 PM

15. "This. It's a common, disgusting tact. "
In response to Reply # 8

Racism doesn't exist- but they have tales of racism they've suffered for being white.

They don't care about George Floyd's death, but co-opted "I can't breathe" as an anti-tank slogan

They're against women's right to choose, but co-opted "my body. My choice" as another anti-mask slogan.

Blue lives matter and all lives matter both exist as a dismissal of Black Lives Matter.

And on and on. J

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 08:57 AM

16. "The Counter-Revolution of 1776 by Gerald Horne"
In response to Reply # 0

should be mandatory read.

Not saying that 1619 project wasn't ok but the reason for the country formulating was truly about slavery.

LITERALLY AND FIGURATIVELY.

The numbers jumped dramatically once the US gained control of the slave trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C71DIrOmkBM

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13404006 Previous topic | Next topic