Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13403529

Subject: "Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Cen..." Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Cen..."

someone tell me this is fake

‘Like an Experimental Concentration Camp’: Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Center

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/like-an-experimental-concentration-camp-whistleblower-complaint-alleges-mass-hysterectomies-at-ice-detention-center/

Several legal advocacy groups on Monday filed a whistleblower complaint on behalf of a nurse at an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center documenting “jarring medical neglect” within the facility, including a refusal to test detainees for the novel coronavirus and an exorbitant rate of hysterectomies being performed on immigrant women.

The nurse, Dawn Wooten, was employed at the Irwin County Detention Center (ICDC) in Georgia, which is operated by LaSalle Corrections, a private prison company. The complaint was filed with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) by advocacy groups Project South, Georgia Detention Watch, Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights, and South Georgia Immigrant Support Network.

Multiple women came forward to tell Project South about what they perceived to be the inordinate rate at which women in ICDC were subjected to hysterectomies – a surgical operation in which all or part of the uterus is removed. Additionally, many of the immigrant women who underwent the procedure were reportedly “confused” when asked to explain why they had the surgery, with one detainee likening their treatment to prisoners in concentration camps.

“Recently, a detained immigrant told Project South that she talked to five different women detained at ICDC between October and December 2019 who had a hysterectomy done,” the complaint stated. “When she talked to them about the surgery, the women ‘reacted confused when explaining why they had one done.’ The woman told Project South that it was as though the women were ‘trying to tell themselves it’s going to be OK.’”

“When I met all these women who had had surgeries, I thought this was like an experimental concentration camp. It was like they’re experimenting with our bodies,” the detainee said.

According to Wooten, ICDC consistently used a particular gynecologist – outside the facility – who almost always opted to remove all or part of the uterus of his female detainee patients.

“Everybody he sees has a hysterectomy—just about everybody,” Wooten said, adding that, “everybody’s uterus cannot be that bad.”

“We’ve questioned among ourselves like goodness he’s taking everybody’s stuff out…That’s his specialty, he’s the uterus collector. I know that’s ugly…is he collecting these things or something…Everybody he sees, he’s taking all their uteruses out or he’s taken their tubes out. What in the world.”

Wooten also confirmed that many of the detained women have told her that they didn’t understand why they were being forced to have the procedure, explaining that some of the nurses obtained their consent “by simply googling Spanish.”

The complaint details several accounts from detainees, including one woman who was not properly anesthetized during the procedure and heard the aforementioned doctor tell the nurse he had mistakenly removed the wrong ovary, resulting in her losing all reproductive ability. Another said she was scheduled for the procedure but when she questioned why it was necessary, she was given at least three completely different answers.

“She was originally told by the doctor that she had an ovarian cyst and was going to have a small twenty-minute procedure done drilling three small holes in her stomach to drain the cyst,” according to the complaint. “The officer who was transporting her to the hospital told her that she was receiving a hysterectomy to have her womb removed. When the hospital refused to operate on her because her COVID-19 test came back positive for antibodies, she was transferred back to ICDC where the ICDC nurse said that the procedure she was going to have done entailed dilating her vagina and scraping tissue off. “

Another nurse then told her the procedure was to mitigate her heavy menstrual bleeding, which the woman had never experienced. When she explained that, the nurse “responded by getting angry and agitated and began yelling at her.”

According to The Intercept, ICE declined to comment on the allegations in the complaint, while a Lasalle Corrections spox said it was “firmly committed to the health and welfare of those in our care.”

“We are deeply committed to delivering high-quality, culturally responsive services in safe and humane environments,” the person said.

Law&Crime reached out to ICE for comment. Law&Crime also reached out to DHS OIG to ask whether it has received the complaint and whether it will investigate the allegations in it. We will update this story if we receive responses.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's not. This was ALWAYS where this was heading
Sep 14th 2020
This seems like where the rest of the world is heading
Sep 15th 2020
Whoa.. so they can’t birth more brown voters?
Sep 14th 2020
But wait, I thought these people were "pro-life."
Sep 14th 2020
There is no bottom. The US should be sanctioned internationally
Sep 15th 2020
Prosecute ICE
Sep 15th 2020
If true, this sounds like a war crime.
Sep 15th 2020
ICE deported a crucial witness in an ongoing investigation into allegati...
Sep 15th 2020
this government is f*cking trash
Sep 15th 2020
Whistleblower is a black woman
Sep 16th 2020
indeed...
Sep 16th 2020
we gotta protect this sister.
Sep 17th 2020
Pardon my ignorance
Sep 18th 2020
its good to see this getting coverage
Sep 16th 2020
ICE Prepares to Deport Jailed Immigrant Who Says She Was Forcibly Steril...
Sep 16th 2020
oh they tried it...she was actually on the plane
Sep 17th 2020
      yeah i read that later in a different article
Sep 17th 2020
      Holy shit.
Sep 17th 2020
           I don't. I listen to Rachel Maddow every day. she had Jayapal on live
Sep 21st 2020
i will never understand how the media isnt all over stuff like this
Sep 17th 2020
You would think NPR and BBC would be all over it
Sep 18th 2020
Maddow is. Her team is top notch.
Sep 21st 2020
      Truly.
Sep 21st 2020

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 04:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's not. This was ALWAYS where this was heading "
In response to Reply # 0

The people who called these out as concentration camps from the start and fought against there implementation were always right and knew this was coming.

And it WILL get worse.

I will try and dig up the piece I saw on widespread sexual abuse in facilities from last week as well.

Not to mention the trafficking laws the administration has violated repeatedly to shuttle children through a circuit of hotels before abandoning children unaccompanied at the border.

There needs to be a reckoning for this.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

mind_grapes
Member since Nov 13th 2007
957 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 12:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "This seems like where the rest of the world is heading"
In response to Reply # 1

There are 2 to 3 million Uighurs in concentration camps in Xinjiang. 2 million muslims stripped of citizenship in Assam, with thousands in detention centers. And thousands being killed in extrajudicial military prisons, like Sednaya, in Syria.

The logic of concentration camps is the same, from Auschwitz to the present. And where there is no repentance, there can be no remission.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79608 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 04:41 PM

2. "Whoa.. so they can’t birth more brown voters? "
In response to Reply # 0

I would not be surprised one bit.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

dagu
Member since Nov 25th 2005
1650 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 04:54 PM

3. "But wait, I thought these people were "pro-life.""
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-14-20 04:55 PM by dagu

How can this be?

---------------------

http://www.last.fm/user/dagu85

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 09:28 AM

4. "There is no bottom. The US should be sanctioned internationally "
In response to Reply # 0

The same ways that Iran is treated.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 09:40 AM

5. "Prosecute ICE"
In response to Reply # 0

Congressional investigation is necessary, but more is better. Go over Trump now and solicit more whistleblowers by promising prison for ICE employees who stay silent until the next administration.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 10:14 AM

6. "If true, this sounds like a war crime."
In response to Reply # 0

Tax payer funded war crimes. Pretty brutal stuff to read.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 07:52 PM

8. "ICE deported a crucial witness in an ongoing investigation into allegati..."
In response to Reply # 0

NEW: ICE deported a crucial witness in an ongoing investigation into allegations of sexual assault and harassment at an El Paso immigrant detention center, according to the witness' lawyers.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/15/ice-deport-witness-sexual-assault/

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 09:04 PM

9. "this government is f*cking trash"
In response to Reply # 0

>

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Wed Sep-16-20 11:44 AM

10. "Whistleblower is a black woman"
In response to Reply # 0

very brave!
https://youtu.be/yWb5lOTaUw0

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Sep-16-20 12:08 PM

11. "indeed..."
In response to Reply # 10

>very brave!
>https://youtu.be/yWb5lOTaUw0

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Thu Sep-17-20 07:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "we gotta protect this sister."

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 08:50 AM

20. "Pardon my ignorance"

and also my apologies if this answered in the Youtube clip, but it was this woman's choice to reveal her identity, right?

I ask because normally whistleblowers are anonymous until what they reveal publicly is completely resolved; and even in some cases they remain anonymous after that.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

mista k5
16414 posts
Wed Sep-16-20 12:26 PM

12. "its good to see this getting coverage"
In response to Reply # 0

there is a push to investigate. i hope its done in earnest with transparency.

mista k5
16414 posts
Wed Sep-16-20 12:55 PM

13. "ICE Prepares to Deport Jailed Immigrant Who Says She Was Forcibly Steril..."
In response to Reply # 0

this is different than the el paso one

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/9/16/headlines/ice_prepares_to_deport_jailed_immigrant_who_says_she_was_forcibly_sterilized

ICE Prepares to Deport Jailed Immigrant Who Says She Was Forcibly Sterilized

In immigration news, a Cameroonian mother who says she was involuntarily sterilized while held at the privately owned Irwin County Detention Center in Georgia might be deported today. Pauline Binam has lived in the United States since age 2 and has been detained at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement prison for nearly three years. Last fall, Binam was reportedly subjected to invasive surgery on her reproductive organs, without her knowledge. Binam’s looming deportation comes as whistleblower Dawn Wooten, who was a nurse at Irwin, has detailed how the jail performed hysterectomies on prisoners without their consent. Human rights advocates have condemned the disturbing practices, saying forced sterilization amounts to genocide.

In related news, a key witness in an ongoing investigation into sexual assault and harassment allegations at an El Paso, Texas, immigrant prison has been deported. The 35-year-old woman from Mexico had recently told her lawyers several guards “forcibly” kissed her, and at least one touched her intimate parts. She’s one of at least three people who have come forward about the systematic sexual violence at the ICE prison. The Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General launched a probe into the accusations after ProPublica and The Texas Tribune first reported them last month.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Thu Sep-17-20 03:21 PM

14. "oh they tried it...she was actually on the plane"
In response to Reply # 13

congress intervened AFTER a judge ruled for a stay and had her removed from the plane...this shit is insane

and they've already deported other women who've undergone the same procedure...one of whom is in El Salvador right now working to get congress her medical records to be included in the investigation

Hi, Fascism. Welcome home.

d

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu Sep-17-20 03:23 PM

15. "yeah i read that later in a different article"
In response to Reply # 14

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Sep-17-20 04:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "Holy shit."
In response to Reply # 14

Do you have links for any of this ? (I ask so I can share them with people who need to see them, not because I don't believe you. Just to be clear lol.)

>congress intervened AFTER a judge ruled for a stay and had
>her removed from the plane...this shit is insane
>
>and they've already deported other women who've undergone the
>same procedure...one of whom is in El Salvador right now
>working to get congress her medical records to be included in
>the investigation
>
>Hi, Fascism. Welcome home.
>
>d

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Damali
35865 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 02:37 PM

21. "I don't. I listen to Rachel Maddow every day. she had Jayapal on live"
In response to Reply # 16

Rep. Jayapal is on the front line of protecting these women in real time

d

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Thu Sep-17-20 07:35 PM

17. "i will never understand how the media isnt all over stuff like this"
In response to Reply # 0

but instead we gotta hear about joe biden and despacito.

just from a self interest point of view...theres a ton of award winning potential when a journalist/outlet digs deep and exposes shit like this.

then you add the fact that shit like this is impactful on real lives and not trivial shit that does nothing but suck up clicks for a cycle or two.

the entire range of abuse being permitted at these immigrant detention centers seems like itd be a dream to investigate for a principled press. the kinda stuff you got into the profession for.

maybe kamalas timbs are more important to the story of this era in history tho.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79608 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 07:54 AM

19. "You would think NPR and BBC would be all over it"
In response to Reply # 17

but I think we know why the mainstream media in America isn’t touching it

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Damali
35865 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 02:38 PM

22. "Maddow is. Her team is top notch."
In response to Reply # 17

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Sep-21-20 02:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Truly."
In response to Reply # 22

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Lobby General Discussion topic #13403529 Previous topic | Next topic