Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13403377

Subject: "Freedom, Georgia: A city that’s safe for black people (CNN)" Previous topic | Next topic
Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Sat Sep-12-20 03:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Freedom, Georgia: A city that’s safe for black people (CNN)"

https://www.google.no/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/12/us/freedom-black-cooperative-toomsboro/index.html

19 families buy nearly 97 acres of land in Georgia to create a city safe for Black people

(CNN) "Welcome to Freedom!" exclaims real estate agent Ashley Scott as she surveys the nearly 97 acres of land that she and a group of 19 Black families purchased in August.

"I'm hoping that it will be a thriving safe haven for people of color, for Black families in particular," Scott says.

The land sits just East of Macon in rural Wilkinson County, Georgia. Scott and her friend, investor and entrepreneur Renee Walters, didn't initially plan on buying a large plot of land, but they had a vision that was clear -- to create a safe space for their Black families.

"Being able to create a community that is thriving, that is safe, that has agriculture and commercial businesses that are supporting one another and that dollars circulating in our community, that is our vision."

A safe space

The unrest that took hold of the country earlier this year after the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor at the hands of police, and closer to home, the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery while jogging outside Brunswick, Georgia, prompted the women to search for a new community, one they could start themselves.

"Watching our people protesting in the streets, while it is important, and I want people to stay out in the streets, bringing attention to the injustices of Black people. We needed to create a space and a place where we could be a village, again, a tribe, again," Scott said.

"We wanted to create this safe space where we can address our own issues and concerns."

The two wanted to launch an initiative that would create a new city founded by Black families.

"We both have Black husbands. We both have Black sons. And I was starting to get overwhelmed and have a sense of anxiety when my husband will leave the house to go to work," said Walters. "So, it was like, OK, what can we do? And once I saw the post of Toomsboro going viral, about a town being on sale, I was like, 'Oh, this is perfect.'"

Scott and Walters reached out to family and friends to see who might be interested in joining their effort. Together, they created the Freedom Georgia Initiative to spearhead the purchase. They hope to incorporate the land they bought into a new Black city, called Freedom, Georgia.

Town for sale?

The ad Renee Walters saw had been circulating online, publicizing the sale of the Town of Toomsboro. The ad eventually went viral.

Scott said she got a call when her friend caught wind of the sale. "She said Ashley, did you see the article about Toomsboro for sale? For the price of a small condo, we could buy a whole town for $1.7 million," Scott said.

CNN affiliate WGXA reported the website called Toomsboroforsale.com was run by Tim Bumgardner, a developer who owned more than 30 properties around town.

"It is one of the few places where you can buy a whole town with every kind of building including a historic inn, a syrup mill, an opera house, a school house, a railroad depot, a cotton warehouse, a restaurant, a barbershop, a water wheel, a grist mill, a work shop, a filling station, and several houses," the ad read.

Turns out, the town itself wasn't actually for sale. Joyce Denson, the Mayor of Toomsboro, made that clear.

"I have gotten calls from New York. I've gotten calls from North Carolina. I've gotten tells calls from California," Denson says. "We welcome business. We want new people to come in. The thing that we want to make sure is that you promote and help keep the flavor of the community."

After Scott and Walters discovered the town itself wasn't up for sale, Scott put on her real estate hat and looked for land in the area. They found acreage for sale just outside Toomsboro, in unincorporated Wilkinson County.

"It was just such a beautiful piece of land. It was affordable, and it just made sense that we could create something that would be amazing for our families," said Scott.

History of Black cooperatives

The combining of resources to create a collective or cooperative economics is not new -- especially when it comes to Blacks in the United States.

"We have a very long history of doing cooperative economics, economic cooperation, creating our own communal towns," says Jessica Gordon Nembhard, author of Collective Courage: A History of African American Cooperative Economic Thought and Practice and professor of community justice at John Jay College. "More recently, we've been establishing community land trust, which actually give official land ownership to the community."

Hobson City, Alabama, was the state's first all-Black city, founded in 1899 after Blacks were kicked out of neighboring towns. CNN affiliate WBRC reported in June that "Hobson City residents celebrated Juneteenth with one simple message: Black Towns Matter" to celebrate the city's heritage.

One of the earliest all-Black municipalities was Mound Bayou in the Mississippi Delta. It was established by former slaves after the Civil War.

"Almost every society that had enslavement also had marooned societies," says Gordon Nembhard. "They set up their own communities ... and start to farm it together, create a town, run the town, work collectively as much as possible and basically have a secluded space that was totally community controlled, and a way to be

away from slavery."

"There's so many former Black cities," said Scott. "We hope that we can be one of those as well."

Scott and Walters say they've gotten questions about why they want to create an all-Black city. Their response? It's something that's been done for generations.

"It's impossible to have anything exclusively Black because our families are integrated," says Scott. "We are an integrated, tolerant and diverse community even as Black people, so we don't intend for it to be exclusively Black, but we do intend for it to be pro Black in every way."

'We're creating a legacy'

Scott and Walters plan to develop the land in phases. The first phase involves clearing the land, farming, and creating a man-made lake for sustainable fishing.

At a ribbon-cutting ceremony, Scott said while they didn't know the exact history of their plot of land, the symbolism of reclaiming this land gives them an opportunity to write their own story.

They hope to grow within a few years. By the end of their development plan, they hope to have a fully operational, self-sufficient city -- putting Freedom, Georgia, on the map.

"To be able to pass this land down to my children and to the children that are represented by each of our 19 families. As a piece of legacy. We're hoping to create legacy."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
nah i'm good. there will be no such thing in Georgia
Sep 12th 2020
Or one of their own sell it out to those "proud boys." in the name
Sep 12th 2020
You do know georgia is statistically one of the blackest
Sep 13th 2020
and it’s still a red state
Sep 13th 2020
      RE: and it’s still a red state
Sep 15th 2020
      it's almost like the entire angle of this story is bullshit
Sep 15th 2020
Your subject line should say America, not Georgia
Sep 14th 2020
no hope, geez
Sep 14th 2020
      your optimism is based on.....what again?
Sep 14th 2020
           so, i guess you're okay with us not having this?
Sep 14th 2020
                what do we have? 90 acres of land that nobody wanted to buy?
Sep 14th 2020
                so you want what they want?
Sep 14th 2020
                     who is they?
Sep 14th 2020
                also, no this isn't what "we" wanted
Sep 14th 2020
                kept what under wraps? literally nothing has happened or will happen.
Sep 14th 2020
Did they buy homes and buildings, or just land?
Sep 12th 2020
just land.
Sep 13th 2020
This is symbolic of the end of the this country especially
Sep 13th 2020
you gotta be a fucking idiot to fall for this story
Sep 13th 2020
Damn homie 😂
Sep 14th 2020
I hope I'm wrong on some level
Sep 14th 2020
Lmao. That dude got issues
Sep 14th 2020
      you should go buy in to this new town
Sep 14th 2020
Jeez lol
Sep 15th 2020
Only the state Legislature can create (incorporate) a city
Sep 14th 2020
yo, fuck you for dealing with facts and laws and shit
Sep 14th 2020
It's the "I got my own record label" of Urban Planning....
Sep 15th 2020
      I got my own record label guy
Sep 15th 2020
This is the type of thing you only talk about AFTER it's done
Sep 15th 2020

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35863 posts
Sat Sep-12-20 04:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "nah i'm good. there will be no such thing in Georgia"
In response to Reply # 0

i believe they will succeed but that success will be short lived once insecure 'proud boys' roll through to fuck it up

i do not trust this country to let any safe space for us thrive

d

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sat Sep-12-20 05:21 PM

2. "Or one of their own sell it out to those "proud boys." in the name "
In response to Reply # 1

of acceptance.

>i believe they will succeed but that success will be short
>lived once insecure 'proud boys' roll through to fuck it up

>i do not trust this country to let any safe space for us
>thrive
>
>d

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sun Sep-13-20 09:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "You do know georgia is statistically one of the blackest"
In response to Reply # 1

states in the country?

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Sun Sep-13-20 09:56 AM

7. "and it’s still a red state"
In response to Reply # 5

I’m hoping this works but I wouldnt be surprised if buildings start burning as soon as they start construction.

Already seeing people online calling this racist. Regardless of what we do they hate it.

Diversity.. they hate it
Equality.. they hate it
Do for self.. that’s racist

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

lsymone
Member since Nov 03rd 2007
7401 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 11:17 AM

26. "RE: and it’s still a red state"
In response to Reply # 7

aside from voter suppression, in 2016 DT won by 211,000 votes while some 900,000 black voters stayed at home, most were from Atlanta.

http://specials.myajc.com/georgia-voters-results-2016/

take a message

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 11:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "it's almost like the entire angle of this story is bullshit"
In response to Reply # 7

and created for racist people to get mad about it

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 06:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Your subject line should say America, not Georgia"
In response to Reply # 1

As a southerner, by rearing, who has visited or lived in most American cities and studied a lot of history, there isn’t much difference in your odds of setting up a radical project in the south or any other American region. There are some radicals doing some great work in Jackson Mississippi right now (the book “Jackson Rising” is inspirational in this regard), while conversely MOVE and the Panthers were viciously attacked by the state in allegedly more “liberal” cities in the north and west. I’d say with the number of Black folk in Georgia, both in numbers and in positions of power, you’d probably be safest there pulling something like this off. My main concern wouldn’t be the proud boys, but more insidious systemic forms of racism, such as some white controlled companies dumping toxic waste or other chemicals in or near their water supply. There are strategic ways to counter such attacks (if you will) but I wouldn’t discuss strategy like that in an open forum (or with people not open to the idea of creating domestic nationalist spaces generally).

Anyway, a Black controlled town will work out as well as being an individual Black person living in America. If you’re staying here, you know the danger. Just plan and be strategic, knowing the risk.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 08:01 AM

11. "no hope, geez"
In response to Reply # 1

i'm optimistic about it. my ancestors are from there and i decided to
buy properties/land there, hopefully it works out.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 10:45 AM

15. "your optimism is based on.....what again?"
In response to Reply # 11

what about these people suggests they have any of the things that would be necessary to actually pull off what they claim they want to do.

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 12:23 PM

17. "so, i guess you're okay with us not having this?"
In response to Reply # 15
Mon Sep-14-20 12:31 PM by Crash Bandacoot

or you don't like the way in which it was done? i thought this is what
we wanted? maybe people are happy with the way things are now. i
think this is a great idea but, i think should've kept it under wraps.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 03:00 PM

18. "what do we have? 90 acres of land that nobody wanted to buy?"
In response to Reply # 17

that wasn't the missing piece!

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 03:10 PM

21. "so you want what they want?"
In response to Reply # 18

i thought i did too

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 03:12 PM

22. "who is they?"
In response to Reply # 21

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 03:06 PM

20. "also, no this isn't what "we" wanted"
Mon Sep-14-20 03:11 PM by Rjcc

segregated living spaces are literally the white supremacist dream

WHICH IS WHY THIS STORY IS BEING PROMOTED SO HEAVILY THINK ABOUT IT

it's very clearly a "well why are you complaining about police brutality, you could just make your own communities"

headfake, all directed for people who don't understand that what this article describes isn't a thing at all.

you can't move black america to 90 or 900 or 9,000 acres in the country. this is not a solution even if it did exist which it doesn't and it won't.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 03:16 PM

23. "kept what under wraps? literally nothing has happened or will happen."

there's no secret to keep.

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Sat Sep-12-20 05:22 PM

3. "Did they buy homes and buildings, or just land?"
In response to Reply # 0

I like that she said it won't be exclusively black but pro black.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Sun Sep-13-20 04:01 AM

4. "just land."
In response to Reply # 3

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sun Sep-13-20 09:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "This is symbolic of the end of the this country especially"
In response to Reply # 0

if anyone knows the origin of the state that is now Georgia being a buffer for Africans running away for freedom to Florida and how it was originally an only white state.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Sun Sep-13-20 10:04 AM

8. "you gotta be a fucking idiot to fall for this story"
In response to Reply # 0

these people got scammed by a real estate developer who said a town was for sale when it wasn't.

then they bought 90 acres in the middle of nowhere because they're gullible

then you shared an article about it because YOU'RE gullible

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 06:17 AM

10. "Damn homie 😂"
In response to Reply # 8

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 10:01 AM

12. "I hope I'm wrong on some level"
In response to Reply # 10

but I'm not tho

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 10:37 AM

13. "Lmao. That dude got issues"
In response to Reply # 10

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 10:43 AM

14. "you should go buy in to this new town"
In response to Reply # 13

it sounds like a great investment for you

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 09:17 AM

25. "Jeez lol"
In response to Reply # 8

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 11:34 AM

16. "Only the state Legislature can create (incorporate) a city"
In response to Reply # 0

So the title is misleading. They're just forming a community (I guess). But they'll still be governed, taxed, and policed by somebody else.

In this case that somebody else is Wilkinson County, and I grew up very close to that. It ain't no safe haven, not even close.

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Sep-14-20 03:01 PM

19. "yo, fuck you for dealing with facts and laws and shit"
In response to Reply # 16

because really what kind of person wouldn't just go with whatever the article said

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 12:42 PM

28. "It's the "I got my own record label" of Urban Planning...."
In response to Reply # 16

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 03:03 PM

29. "I got my own record label guy"
In response to Reply # 28

is way ahead of these cats

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 08:00 AM

24. "This is the type of thing you only talk about AFTER it's done"
In response to Reply # 0

A bunch of folks plan and buy-up some half-empty small town somewhere with a good water supply and decent infrastructure.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13403377 Previous topic | Next topic