Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13402055

Subject: "The letter "B" in the term, "Black" is officially capitalized. *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
Airbreed
Charter member
29430 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 11:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The letter "B" in the term, "Black" is officially capitalized. *swipe*"
Tue Sep-01-20 11:24 AM by Airbreed

They also included changes to the term, "Homosexual" and added "Trans+", "Jabroni", "Swole" and more.

Spellcheck cops, take notice.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/01/us/dictionary-com-update-trnd/index.html

Dictionary.com adds Black, as it refers to a person, in massive update around definitions that reflect culture, identity, and race
By Leah Asmelash, CNN

Updated 9:00 AM ET, Tue September 1, 2020

(CNN)"Afro-Latinx." "Deadname." "Janky." These are just some of the many terms now on Dictionary.com.

The dictionary website announced an update of more than 15,000 entries, refining and adding terms specifically related to race, identity, sexual orientation, and mental health.

"The work of a dictionary is more than just adding new words. It's an ongoing effort to ensure that how we define words reflects changes in languageā€”and life," said John Kelly, a senior editor at Dictionary.com, in a news release.

"Among our many new entries are thousands of deeper, dictionary-wide revisions that touch us on our most personal levels: how we talk about ourselves and our identities, from race to sexual orientation to mental health. Our revisions are putting people, in all their rich humanity, first, and we're extremely proud of that."

It capitalizes Black

The update includes the capitalization of Black, an increasingly popular move by many websites and news organizations as White America begins to reckon with race.

The website called the move "a mark of respect and recognition that's in line with capitalizing other cultures and ethnicities." It also added terms like Afro-Latina, Afro-Latino, Afro-Latinx, brownface, Filipina, Filipinx, Pinay, Pinoy and Pinxy.

It replaces 'homosexual'

In the update, the word "gay" replaced "homosexual," and "gay sexual orientation" replaced "homosexuality." The decision was made to remove "the implication of a medical diagnosis, sickness, or pathology when describing normal human behaviors and ways of being," Dictionary.com said in its release.

The website added other LGBTQ terms as well, including "ace," "asexual," "deadname" and "gender-inclusive."

It updates language around suicide

Dictionary.com also updated its language around suicide -- replacing its previous wording of "commit suicide" with "die by suicide" or "end one's life."

There were some fun additions, too, like the acronym "GOAT," or greatest of all time, and "amirite" (the website used it in a sentence for convenience: "College admissions essays are exercises in creative writing, amirite?!")

Here's a look at more of the added terms:

ace: an asexual.
Afro-Latina: of or relating to Black Latinas with African ancestry.
Afro-Latino: of or relating to Black Latinos with African ancestry.
Afro-Latinx: of or relating to Black Latinx with African ancestry (used in place of the masculine form Afro-Latino or the feminine form Afro-Latina).
alcohol use disorder: a chronic relapsing disorder characterized by alcohol abuse or dependence, as compulsive use of alcoholic beverages, the development of physical or psychological symptoms upon reducing or ceasing intake, and decreased ability to function socially and professionally.
amirite: an informal variant spelling of the phrase "am I right" used to elicit agreement or solidarity at the end of an observation, or used facetiously to undermine or mock the preceding observation.
assistance animal: an animal that is able to provide physical or emotional assistance to a person living with a disability, as alerting a deaf person to the sound of a doorbell.
biromantic: noting or relating to a person who is romantically attracted to people of two specific and distinct gender identities, as both men and women.
brownface: imitation of a minority group member's appearance, speech, traditional dress, etc., by a person who is not a member of that group.
deadname: the previous name of someone who has changed that name, especially the pretransition first name of a trans person.
dead white male: one of a group of white male writers, scientists, or other historical figures whose works have traditionally dominated the field or been a disproportionate part of the school curriculum in the West.
DGAF: to not care at all (a euphemistic initialism used to indicate an indifferent or unbothered attitude, without explicit vulgarity).
ecoanxiety: anxiety caused by a dread of environmental perils, especially climate change, and a feeling of helplessness over the potential consequences for those living now and even more so for those of later generations.
emotional labor: the sum of small acts performed by one person to make other people's lives more pleasant and to protect them from negativity, including hiding the effort required to do so.
Filipinx: of or relating to natives or inhabitants of the Philippines (used in place of the masculine form Filipino or the feminine form Filipina).
gender-inclusive: relating to or intended for any gender; gender-neutral.
GOAT: greatest of all time.
jabroni: a stupid, foolish, or contemptible person; loser.
janky: untrustworthy; disreputable.
MeToo: a social media hashtag of solidarity used by survivors of sexual harassment and sexual assault in a public disclosure of a past or current personal experience in order to demonstrate the prevalence of abuse:
Pinxy: of or relating to natives or inhabitants of the Philippines (used in place of the masculine form Pinoy or the feminine form Pinay); Filipinx.
sharent: a parent who frequently shares such personal information on social media.
swole: (especially of a man) very muscular.
techlash: a strong negative reaction or backlash against the largest technology companies, or their employees or products.
trans+: of or relating to people with gender expressions outside traditional norms, as transgender, genderqueer, agender, or nonbinary.
Twitch: the proprietary name of a livestreaming video platform, primarily delivering video game content with audio commentary and concurrent online chat among viewers.
whitesplain: (of a white person) to comment on the minority experience or explain racism to a person of color in a condescending or blaming way, as to point out accommodating behaviors that the victim of racism might have adopted to diffuse interracial conflict.
zhuzh: to make (something) more lively and interesting, stylish, or appealing, as by a small change or addition (usually followed by up).

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
jabroni lmao
Sep 01st 2020
Doc Claw made it a staple
Sep 01st 2020
never thought i'd see Janky in the dictionary.
Sep 01st 2020
DGAF
Sep 01st 2020
RE: DGAF
Sep 01st 2020
when i read "Jabroni" i hear Prince Paul as the Popmaster...
Sep 01st 2020
Congrats internet. We were talking abt this 20 yrs ago.
Sep 01st 2020
Right on.
Sep 01st 2020
Yo Bin I was trying to remember your position
Sep 02nd 2020
Right. I hope he comes back to the post to clarify.
Sep 02nd 2020
Salute
Sep 02nd 2020
white...ahem, White people are going to have to go through this too
Sep 01st 2020
Notice that CNN capitalizes White now in the OP's article
Sep 02nd 2020
FOH
Sep 02nd 2020

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "jabroni lmao"
In response to Reply # 0

why did i think it was already officially a word

<--- Big Baller World Order

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10099 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 01:57 PM

5. "Doc Claw made it a staple"
In response to Reply # 1

PROMO
Charter member
30817 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 11:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "never thought i'd see Janky in the dictionary."
In response to Reply # 0

also, when i first learned of the word, people spelled it "jainky" from what i recall.

am i wrong? or...what happened.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16402 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 12:14 PM

3. "DGAF"
In response to Reply # 0

DGAF: to not care at all (a euphemistic initialism used to indicate an indifferent or unbothered attitude, without explicit vulgarity).

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16402 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 02:58 PM

6. "RE: DGAF"
In response to Reply # 3

just to be clear, DGAF is not my reaction. i was just surprised it was added lol

as a whole i think its cool they added most of these. surprised by janky and jabroni...figured they would had been added a while back.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 12:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "when i read "Jabroni" i hear Prince Paul as the Popmaster..."
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 03:46 PM

7. "Congrats internet. We were talking abt this 20 yrs ago."
In response to Reply # 0

This is how it feels to be in the vanguard.

Now wait til reparations becomes real and the Green party breaks the duopoly.

I'll be back to say hi again.

Gatdamn it feels good to be right all the time.

Ps you know who is going to reply to this.

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 06:11 PM

8. "Right on."
In response to Reply # 7

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Wed Sep-02-20 08:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Yo Bin I was trying to remember your position"
In response to Reply # 7

I remember you advocating for capital B, but my recollection was that was just for African-Americans, with mere skin color descriptive "black" remaining lowercase...or am I wrong?

If I'm right, what are your thoughts on the way this is actually being implemented (capital B for all usages of Black describing skin color, from any origin.).

Not trying to rain on your parade here btw.

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Wed Sep-02-20 10:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Right. I hope he comes back to the post to clarify."
In response to Reply # 10
Wed Sep-02-20 10:37 AM by kfine

I think that was it tho. It's pretty close to my preferred system as well, which I think I'll stick with until it becomes untenable to do so...

Like, I use the term 'Black Americans' to refer to to Black American DOS specifically, and 'black Americans' to refer to both Black Americans and other naturalized black immigrant groups (eg. Black Nigerian-Americans, Black Haitian-Americans, etc). I guess I avoid using 'Black' on its own when possible because it's subject to misinterpretation, but if I'm reading an article and see 'Black' on its own, my default assumption would be the author is talking about Black Americans (although this is usually not the case).

The only challenge I have with my system is that I'd consider the correct use of 'African-American' to be an umbrella term for *all* members of the global black diaspora settled in the US... so including Black Americans, Black Jamaican-Americans, Black Kenyan-Americans, etc. But 'African-Americans' is traditionally understood to mean Black Americans in the US. So I just avoid using 'African-Americans' too, despite what I feel it should mean. Most of my Black American friends (note: I'm a daughter of Black African immigrants) do not wish to be called African-American, and were pretty instrumental in helping me see the trauma they percieve in that label.

Maybe I should switch to always capitalizing Black, but hyphenate Black-American?? Does Black-American get used anywhere?

I don't think it's a bad thing that MSM are thinking about this, tho. And I think capitalizing both 'Black' and 'White' makes sense, despite preferring that a capitalized American be used at the end for specificity.

>I remember you advocating for capital B, but my recollection
>was that was just for African-Americans, with mere skin color
>descriptive "black" remaining lowercase...or am I wrong?
>
>If I'm right, what are your thoughts on the way this is
>actually being implemented (capital B for all usages of Black
>describing skin color, from any origin.).
>

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79325 posts
Wed Sep-02-20 09:00 AM

11. "Salute "
In response to Reply # 7

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 06:57 PM

9. "white...ahem, White people are going to have to go through this too"
In response to Reply # 0

it occurred to me recently and I even wrote a post and then never posted it because...reasons.

essentially, I realized it needs (yes, needs) to happen to/for them because as a people they are

LOST. AS. FUCK.

about who they are. which is fucking it up for everyone and when I mean everyone, I mean black people.

I'm not going to push for it, but it is a lightbulb moment I had when a trumper said something like (and in the vein of "why can't we have a white entertainment channel...") "why can't WE capitalize the W in white people?!"

and my thought was...nigga please. go right the fuck on if that makes you get closer to you.

my theory is that all of this weirdness and pushback to maintain social order/control (and the tools therein) is because there is confusion. I think a lot of these people think racism, violence, discrimination is a core meaning of whiteness. i.e., PC culture, SJWs, Feminism, BLM, etc. are not designed to combat injustice, instead, they are seen as a direct and personal attack on whiteness.

i see it as a roundabout way of taking accountability and taking ownership and determining whats next for your people.

black people have had centuries to think about race and identity, the meaning of black bodies in white society.

Black people can define their identity within and also outside the context of white supremacy

It is my belief that white people have a hard time imagining their identity outside of the context of white supremacy, black people, "others", "normal", etc.

anyway, I already regret saying this because I don't think I did the idea any justice and I'm worried I'll be mislabeled in my thinking here.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Wed Sep-02-20 09:07 AM

12. "Notice that CNN capitalizes White now in the OP's article"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed Sep-02-20 09:09 AM by Stringer Bell

There's been a divide between media outlets on this. AP and NYTimes deciding to not capitalize white, while CNN and the Washington Post will capitalize White.

napturalmystic
Member since Feb 15th 2006
6542 posts
Wed Sep-02-20 10:07 AM

13. "FOH "
In response to Reply # 0

just stop killing us with abandon

--------------------------

Lobby General Discussion topic #13402055 Previous topic | Next topic