Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13401613

Subject: "Record Store Day 2020 pt 1" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 04:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Record Store Day 2020 pt 1"

its tomorrow right? anyone going?

would be my first time.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/12050

only one im checking for to be honest. how much should i expect to pay for it? not sure if theres somewhere to find the price.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
We don't have expansive testing and uncontrolled disease spread
Aug 28th 2020
good advice
Aug 28th 2020
      Walgreens has taller ceilings than 95% of record stores I've been in
Aug 28th 2020
           true
Aug 28th 2020
I'm going.
Aug 28th 2020
I Have To Work
Aug 28th 2020
i copped tylers cherry bomb instrumentals...
Aug 30th 2020
i went
Aug 31st 2020
I shopped in my dad's collection lol
Aug 31st 2020
how were his prices? lol
Aug 31st 2020
About that Bone Thugs....tell me more...
Sep 24th 2020
      im happy with it
Sep 24th 2020
whos doing part 2?
Sep 24th 2020
been doing damage on bandcamp, discogs, and local stores
Sep 24th 2020

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 04:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "We don't have expansive testing and uncontrolled disease spread"
In response to Reply # 0

Not to be Debbie Downer but ... I'm not going into a place that's smaller my bedroom in the name of consumerism.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

mista k5
16414 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 05:03 PM

2. "good advice"
In response to Reply # 1

i have been wanting to go digging but dont think im ready for that. with this im hoping to go in and out for just this one record. still dumb but a bit controlled.

theyre only letting 15 people in at a time. so in many ways more risky to go into a walgreens for a pack of gum. still risky and to be honest if i saw 15 people in the store before covid i would probably just come back another day. thats too many people to be in there if youre digging.

if i go im going before open. if theres a significant line ill just hope i can buy a copy after online.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 05:18 PM

3. "Walgreens has taller ceilings than 95% of record stores I've been in"
In response to Reply # 2

That's my thing right now. Indoor spaces still aren't safe safe, so if I can't get at least 20 feet high ceilings I don't trust the air flow.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

mista k5
16414 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 05:30 PM

4. "true"
In response to Reply # 3

to be clear, i dont think it is safe. i dont think its a risk i would recommend. i think im dumb for going.

this record store used to have a huuuuuuge location. where they are now is pretty tiny. i think the ceilings are not that low but probably lower than a walgreens still.

dagu
Member since Nov 25th 2005
1650 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 06:44 PM

5. "I'm going."
In response to Reply # 0

My store is doing a ticketed system, 25 people max in the store at one time (it's decently large also), masks required, customers are served one at a time and give a list to the staff for their selections. I have ticket number 2 so I'll be in and out.

---------------------

http://www.last.fm/user/dagu85

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 10:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I Have To Work"
In response to Reply # 0

Since I've always worked in retail I've always had to work on Saturday and when RSD started in 2011 it was like, what, okay, oh well, I won't be attending but now that I'm working at a mom & pop store that participates in RSD I'll get to see the madness I've never wanted to be on the retail side of.

Anyway, the records came in earlier this week but I didn't pay them any mind until Thursday night when I looked up the list and saw a bunch of reissue crap, but there was one that caught my eye and that's the instrumentals to "Retropolitan" but since only 500 copies were pressed, I know we didn't get one in, and it's probably one other store in my town who probably did get it and I know it will be bought that day, oh well.

This is why I don't like RSD, anyway I wonder why house & dance labels don't use this opportunity to release some of their popular "digital only" singles & albums that came out that year to press up physical vinyl & cd copies of their stuff, for those who actually want tangible product instead of just mp3's & wave files?

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Sun Aug-30-20 10:22 AM

7. "i copped tylers cherry bomb instrumentals..."
In response to Reply # 0

for a few reasons:
online sale, in person pick up, no dealing with crowds.
my kids first vinyl was a bootleg of cherry bomb, i thought it would be cool to send to her since shes away at school
her dorm room is pink, the vinyl is pink, nuff said
gave me an opportunity to actually dig at the other local store down the street, they had no more than 6 in the store at any given time and i dropped about 150 on some good shit while supporting a business and person that i fuck with

mista k5
16414 posts
Mon Aug-31-20 09:44 AM

8. "i went"
In response to Reply # 0

almost didnt. woke up kinda late. could had made it right around opening if i rushed. decided to eat breakfast and get ready instead. went before 10.

2 people that were together were waiting outside. got let in with like 6 others and no one behind me. got the the bone thugs, they had like 8 copies. didnt see anything else from RSD that i really wanted.

since there were so little people i did decide to browse and took labcabincalifornia and pauls boutique. at some point i did notice the security guard that was outside was suddenly browsing near me lol.

i think i was in there about 20/30 minutes. when i finally paid and walked out there was a line of like 10/15 people but only like 3 others in the store. i felt a bit weird that i was browsing since there was a line now but i wasnt given any indication in the store to move it along.

flippers are wild, when i added the bone thugs to my discogs i saw people were listing it for like $70. i wouldnt be surprised if the stores still have copies.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Mon Aug-31-20 09:56 AM

9. "I shopped in my dad's collection lol"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon Aug-31-20 09:56 AM by CherNic

Went home this past weekend and grabbed probably 20-25 records. Issac Hayes, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Ramsey Lewis, Eddie Kendricks, Rufus, Jackson 5...

Last time I went to an actual store was on a weekday at like 11 am. It was me and 3 other people. Idk if digging will ever be the same

mista k5
16414 posts
Mon Aug-31-20 10:05 AM

10. "how were his prices? lol"
In response to Reply # 9

i had been wanting to go but i couldnt get myself to. RSD pushed me over the edge. if there was a line when i went im not sure if i would had just drove back. maybe try a different store.

before covid hit i was pretty much set on only going to this store for used records, $5-10 range max. im not pressed on getting those so yeah i dont know when i will be back. their prices on new releases is always $4/5 over anywhere else.

if the list on the website has all the releases for the three parts i dont think theres anything i "have" to get.

im mostly chilling on records now. i think i got most of the ones i really want. i have like 5 im checking for but i dont expect to find them for cheap so dont think ill be buying them unless theres a reissue.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Thu Sep-24-20 12:48 PM

12. "About that Bone Thugs....tell me more..."
In response to Reply # 8

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu Sep-24-20 01:57 PM

14. "im happy with it"
In response to Reply # 12

it was advertised as yellow red and black splatter. i thought that meant a yellow vinyl with red and black splatter. i think a lot of people did too. instead its clear with mostly red and black splatter. some yellow.

the sound is good. an album/ep that i grew up on so i definitely wanted it.

you can see pictures of it here.
https://www.discogs.com/Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony-Creepin-On-Ah-Come-Up/release/15796562

nothing else included it in. it is numbered/stamped.

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu Sep-24-20 12:29 PM

11. "whos doing part 2?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/572?view=all

i was thinking of going for gods son but i think im skipping. going to chill on records for the remainder of the year.

the biggie box set is interesting but eh.

odb on 9 7" records...eh

this one might push me to go

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/12176

lol

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Thu Sep-24-20 01:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "been doing damage on bandcamp, discogs, and local stores "
In response to Reply # 11

in the last weeks. record collecting has been my only hobby during the pandemic besides exercise so I don't feel tied to a specific day unless there are some limited edition releases you know of that I should be checking for?

This summer I picked up 130-150 salsa, jazz, and prog records from my record guy

Hit up a couple shops to sell vinyl, a few more to buy (some repeatedly)

Some key pieces off discogs I've been looking for I been accumulating.

Limited pressings off of new bandcamp releases I check for.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13401613 Previous topic | Next topic