Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13401597

Subject: "Texas Voter Registration Surges Even During Pandemic" Previous topic | Next topic
Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 03:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Texas Voter Registration Surges Even During Pandemic"
Fri Aug-28-20 03:30 PM by Reeq

and 1 outta every 3 new registrations comes from 3 of the biggest blue counties in the state.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Texas-voter-registration-surges-to-16-4-million-15399835.php
-----
Texas voter registration surges to 16.4 million, despite the pandemic

Not even the worst pandemic to hit Texas in a century was enough to stem the surge in voter registrations that has remade the state’s electorate over the past four years.

Just since March, Texas has added nearly 149,000 voters even as the political parties and voter registration groups face new obstacles in signing up people in a world of social distancing and stay-at-home orders.

The state now has a record 16.4 million voters, 2.1 million more than it had just over four years ago — a 15 percent increase in registrations that is nearly equivalent to the voter rolls of the entire state of Connecticut.

“It is a totally different electorate than it was in 2016,” said Luke Warford, voter expansion director for the Texas Democratic Party.

Harris and Bexar counties have led the way in the last three months with voter registration efforts. In Harris County, voter rolls have grown by 16,000, while in Bexar they are up almost 14,000. Combined, the two counties account for one-fifth of the increase in registrations statewide.

Warford said for both parties and all candidates, those new voters have thrown a wild card into the 2020 elections as the parties try to get them to break their way. Texas just isn’t accustomed to this sort of surge.

Texas voter registration rolls historically have grown slowly. From 2002 to 2012, the rolls grew by 800,000. But now, registration is in hyperdrive. Just since November 2018, Texas has added almost 600,000 voters.

Some of the change is coming from transplants moving from other states, while many others are coming from minority communities that voter registration advocacy groups have targeted over the last four years.

In short, Brandon Rottinghaus, a University of Houston political science professor, said 2020 is setting up as a real shootout in regions of the state that have become more competitive because of the diversification and growth of the electorate.

“It’s another step toward Texas being a true battleground,” Rottinghaus said.
-----

harris county (blue) unveiled an ambitious plan to increase voter access/participation even greater than 2016/2018.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1298976058054717441

the houston rockets are also opening the doors to their arena in harris county including the 2 week early voting period with 12 hour operation every single day of the week.
https://twitter.com/Rockets_Insider/status/1298996462122962944

wanna know how panicked republicans are in the state?
https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1299433739945160704

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
dont you dare give me hope
Aug 28th 2020
dems are running the same playbook that turned va true blue
Aug 28th 2020
      how do you think hegar will do?
Aug 28th 2020
           last i checked shes behind by single digits.
Aug 28th 2020
           im the most pessimistic about the senate
Aug 28th 2020
                yeah kamala is getting replaced easily. prolly someone like schiff.
Aug 28th 2020
                     Texas state government showing the very earliest of cracks
Aug 28th 2020
           Running against a generic republican really hurts her
Aug 28th 2020

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 03:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "dont you dare give me hope"
In response to Reply # 0

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 04:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "dems are running the same playbook that turned va true blue"
In response to Reply # 1

and is rapidly turning az blue.

as the state repub parties get more extreme...dems just eat up the center and center left. plus you got diversifying electorates and the urban/suburban areas with the highest population growth making a hard charge to the dem party.

texas also got those cali libs moving in and voting like they still in cali.

texas went from +16 pts for mitt romney to +8 pts for trump to +2 pts for cruz (in a midterm election where turnout favors republicans).

its carrying down ballot too. judges, state legislature, etc. dems only need to win a net 9 seats to win the tx state house and there were 9 red state house districts that went for beto in 2018. other ones have trended more blue in the meantime too.

mista k5
16414 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 04:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "how do you think hegar will do?"
In response to Reply # 2

might just be my bubble but i dont hear a thing about her.

could she end up losing by more than beto did yet texas as a whole moves more blue?

is she actually doing the work that needs to be done to win and bubbles be damned?

i had seen the percentage stats recently on pres elections. definitely has a clear indication but id rather be happily surprised than expect it to happen now. that said anything that can be done to keep pushing in that direction im with.

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 04:48 PM

4. "last i checked shes behind by single digits."
In response to Reply # 3

actually around the same margin beto was down to cruz this far out from the election.

she isnt well known but neither is cornyn. hes still stuck in the mid 40s in polling with a lot of undecideds.

biden is running a good bit ahead of her. so if biden wins...we could have a split ticket or biden pulling her across the finish line.

this is where having biden on the ticket instead of bernie really pays dividends. those down ballot races. hes such a generic dem in terms of where he stands on the issues that he isnt scaring away voters and dragging down the candidates under him. in fact...hes a big reason why some of these swing state senate races are even competitive.

mista k5
16414 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 04:54 PM

5. "im the most pessimistic about the senate"
In response to Reply # 4

it seems like everything needs to break for the dems to get to 50. i imagine replacing kamala with a dem is automatic right?

if texas actually goes to biden? i cant bring myself to consider it. it would be beyond huge though.

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 05:21 PM

6. "yeah kamala is getting replaced easily. prolly someone like schiff."
In response to Reply # 5

if texas goes blue it aint going back. 1st the prez falls, then the gov/senate/etc follows.

the population growth (especially in urban/suburban areas and among asians and hispanics) and the blue trending is so rapid. 16 pt margin to a slim victory for either side after only 3 prez election cycles for a state that big is insane.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 11:57 PM

8. "Texas state government showing the very earliest of cracks "
In response to Reply # 6

Is about the best I can hope for.....the house would be huuuuuge in disrupting the stranglehold.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Fri Aug-28-20 11:53 PM

7. "Running against a generic republican really hurts her"
In response to Reply # 3

Now don’t get me wrong, he’s the worst. But it’s basically a party vote. No one is going to vote against him personally.

I wish we had another shot at Cruz this time around.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13401597 Previous topic | Next topic