Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13400124

Subject: "Fly shocked to be called "Dinner" while attending a pro Spider rally" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Wed Aug-19-20 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Fly shocked to be called "Dinner" while attending a pro Spider rally"

At the end of the day we're all insects she says

https://13wham.com/news/local/army-vet-says-racist-language-used-against-her-at-back-the-blue-rally

The Wayne County Sheriff's Office is asking for New York State Police to analyze a video showing the N-word being directed at a woman attending a Back the Blue rally over the weekend.

The woman who recorded the video, Tatyana Conner, is a three-year veteran of the U.S. Army. She said she wanted to show her support to her brothers and sisters in arms.

"Instead, I was greeted with backlash and racism," she said.

Her experience at the Sodus rally left her disheartened and scared.

"As I'm on the corner, I just hear the N-word being called out. Someone told me to take a knee, and that's the part where I was like, 'Okay, these people really don't care that I am out here to literally support what they are doing'. Instead, they just saw me for the color of my skin," Conner said.

She posted the footage on social media, where it sparked an investigation from law enforcement and an apology from organizers.

"They reached out and said, 'I'm sorry, but we didn't expect this to happen, and so I'm really sorry,'" she recounted. "I just really appreciate that."

The organizers of the event refused to comment, but did point to a statement made online by the Wayne County Sheriff's Office and attributed to Sheriff Barry Virts:

It was not the intention of the rally organizers and the vast majority of people showing support to and for accountable law enforcement to cause anyone harm or alarm. It is disgusting that anyone would use hateful language at a rally, in public or in private conversation. Racist and hateful speech is never acceptable. It is the extreme fringes of any organization, movement or gathering that causes an organization, movement or gatherings problems from the core statement or action(s) being conveyed. I have contacted the New York State Police Troop E Forensic Unit to analyze the video.

Conner said she released the video in hopes of generating productive conversation - while leaving race out of it.

"It's either you support All Live Matter, Police Lives Matter or you support Black Lives Matter. I support both," she said. "It's hard for people to understand. It's sad. It really is."

Rachel Kauka, a member of the group Concerned Citizens of Wayne County and one of organizers for Black Lives Matter events in Wayne County, says the video was overwhelming and shocking to her.

"There were so many leaders that were also in that rally," she said. "I know that, some of the leaders that we asked to come to one of our specific rallies in Palmyra, N.Y., they would not come but they were in support of the rally that happened and I think that a lot of negative things happened . So it kind of showed us where they stand and it kind of showed the division that Wayne County has, as well."

James Schuler, another member of Concerned Citizens of Wayne County, says the video shows more work need to be done to unify the county.

"We have been doing a lot of great work but unfortunately we weren't able to show that good work because the ugly side came out," said Schuler.

New York State Assemblyman Brian Manktelow, who attended the rally, said he is aware of the video and disappointed there were "a few bad apples" at the event.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
At least they snuck the "few bad apples" quote in there at the end.
Aug 19th 2020
also left out 'spoils the whole bunch' as is typical
Aug 19th 2020
and fly really appreciated the spider saying sorry
Aug 19th 2020

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Aug-19-20 12:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "At least they snuck the "few bad apples" quote in there at the end."
In response to Reply # 0

Thought they may go the whole piece without it.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5614 posts
Wed Aug-19-20 01:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "also left out 'spoils the whole bunch' as is typical"
In response to Reply # 1

so a few bad apples, but also not one good person to stand up for that woman at the rally, so... you got a shitty bunch of apples apparently.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5190 posts
Wed Aug-19-20 01:05 PM

3. "and fly really appreciated the spider saying sorry"
In response to Reply # 0

She bought the apology. smh

---------------------------
Signature

Lobby General Discussion topic #13400124 Previous topic | Next topic