Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13398153

Subject: "the anti-kanye:TOBE NWIGWE | TRY JESUS" Previous topic | Next topic
thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Sat Aug-08-20 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"the anti-kanye:TOBE NWIGWE | TRY JESUS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFU0PTsykeU

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Make it home is my favorite song of the FTP/pandemic
Aug 08th 2020
me too.... peep the live version
Aug 10th 2020
#playery
Aug 09th 2020
Love Tobe. Saw him last year and it was a movie.
Aug 09th 2020
I don't get what people see in him
Aug 09th 2020
he's a good escape from the standard shit that's popping right now.....
Aug 18th 2020
      to be fair, my taste is mostly "things I've already heard"
Aug 19th 2020
           I think the "Anti Kanye" is because he's basically a hardcore Lecrae lol...
Aug 19th 2020
                lecrae I never was into but I see the appeal
Aug 19th 2020
NY Times article
Aug 18th 2020
Q & A on youtube links
Aug 18th 2020
dude has heat. he also has some duds. but so does any artist.
Aug 18th 2020
Tobe is dope as hell, but
Aug 18th 2020
spot on! I went on a long run with a Tobe playlist....was a BAD idea lol...
Aug 18th 2020
I became a fan couple years ago after Wavy first dropped
Aug 19th 2020

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Sat Aug-08-20 10:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Make it home is my favorite song of the FTP/pandemic"
In response to Reply # 0

And I like a lot of stuff that has come out.

Maybe my favorite song of the year

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

thegodcam
41497 posts
Mon Aug-10-20 08:01 AM

5. "me too.... peep the live version"
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlX07-Crgw

- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Sun Aug-09-20 08:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "#playery"
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Sun Aug-09-20 01:39 PM

3. "Love Tobe. Saw him last year and it was a movie."
In response to Reply # 0

Highly recommend if he ever comes near ya.

See ya, JAK
http://www.staugustinepics.com/

Winner of OKP Second Photo Kontest
Pic #6 http://www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/kontest2

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun Aug-09-20 11:22 PM

4. "I don't get what people see in him"
In response to Reply # 0

I know a lot of people who are big fans, I just don't get it. None of his stuff sounds good to me.

"The anti-kanye" I don't even know what that means.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Aug-18-20 10:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "he's a good escape from the standard shit that's popping right now....."
In response to Reply # 4

best in medium to small doses for me....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Aug-19-20 03:17 AM

12. "to be fair, my taste is mostly "things I've already heard""
In response to Reply # 8

so my soundcloud is just new song + gypsy woman instrumental

over and over again

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Aug-19-20 10:29 AM

13. "I think the "Anti Kanye" is because he's basically a hardcore Lecrae lol..."
In response to Reply # 12

Which I guess you could say Kanye is but only because of his previous music.....

So if you want to listen to "christian rap" that's a little edgier than Lecrae but don't want to listen to the current iteration of Kanye....then Tobe is your answer...kinda.... I guess... I'm assuming anyway...
well...that's MY take anyway....

Lecrae got bars though....
Tobe got bars and other shit going for him subject wise that make him a little more relatable than Lecrae lyrically....

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Aug-19-20 03:10 PM

15. "lecrae I never was into but I see the appeal"
In response to Reply # 13

thegodcam
41497 posts
Tue Aug-18-20 09:57 AM

6. "NY Times article"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/13/arts/music/tobe-nwigwe-breonna-taylor.html

Tobe Nwigwe Never Planned to Go Viral. Then He Rapped About Breonna Taylor.

The Houston rapper and singer has been making music with a close-knit team for five years. A 44-second track released in July brought his message to a larger audience.

By Leslie Pariseau
Aug. 13, 2020

HOUSTON — Tobe Nwigwe has spent five years as an independent rapper and singer on the Houston scene, building an audience — including fans like Erykah Badu and Michelle Obama — with weekly song drops that unfailingly arrive with a brand-new video. His plan has always been consistency, not virality. But sudden, unexpected fame arrived last month after he released a track that called attention to the police killing of Breonna Taylor in Kentucky.

“I need you to,” Nwigwe sings as the track opens. Then in his typical sober rumble, he raps, “Arrest the killers of Breonna Taylor.” The entire song, called “I Need You To (Breonna Taylor),” is 44 seconds long, with spare production. It was reposted by Diddy, LeBron James, Madonna and Amy Schumer. “Try Jesus,” a ballad he released at the end of July, has become even more popular. It has more than a million YouTube views and helped him land his first two placements on Billboard’s genre sales charts.

On a recent morning Nwigwe, 33, was at work as usual, shooting a video for a song called “Eat” in his sea-foam green living room, wearing a sea-foam green outfit and a gold grill. He was surrounded by his usual production crew, including his wife, Fat, 32; and their best friend and producer, LaNell Grant, 31, known as Nell. As the camera moved around him, the rapper held his arms out so that Ivory, 1, his eldest of two daughters, could join him. Baby Fat, as she is affectionately called by her family, looked around, a sly smile on her face, and finally wiggled her way onto the set.

Nwigwe’s family has always played a large role in his art. Though Tobe Nwigwe is the name on the songs, Fat and Grant are inextricable from the final product. Operating outside the label system, with no publicity representation or managers, the three handle all of their personal and professional business themselves: designing their outfits, booking gigs and watching each other’s children.

“Because I do this with my family, I don’t even want people that I don’t know like that around my family,” Nwigwe said in an interview the evening before the shoot. “I don’t believe in somebody who didn’t help me build everything —” he added before Grant finished his sentence, “come in and take.” In sweats and their signature white shin-length socks, the three sat in swivel chairs, ribbing one another with inside jokes.

Hip-hop wasn’t always on the agenda for Nwigwe. “I thought I was going to be the next Ray Lewis,” he said as he rocked Ivory to sleep. He grew up Tobechuwu Nwigwe in the Southwest Alief neighborhood of Houston with Nigerian immigrant parents and focused on sports, though his family hoped he might become a doctor, lawyer, engineer or pilot. An N.F.L. prospect, he was a linebacker for the University of North Texas, working out twice a day, plowing through bodies and cheating on his homework, until he experienced a career-ending injury.

Grant, who went to the same high school, thought she might make the W.N.B.A., and instead became a high school English teacher, taking production classes in her off hours. Fat, (born Ivory Rogers) from Grand Rapids, Mich., had an idea she might be an artist, but felt sure that she was supposed to move to Houston. The three came together while working with the “edutainment” nonprofit Nwigwe founded to help Alief children figure out their purpose. After finding validation and financial support from the motivational speaker Eric Thomas and his business partner Carlas Quinney, they began focusing on music in earnest.

In 2017, Nwigwe began making videos and dropping weekly singles on YouTube and Instagram for what he called #getTWISTEDsundays. In early releases, he sits on the floor of his living room rapping while Fat, with her gently chiseled stoicism, twists his hair or folds laundry. As the music grew tighter and more stylized, so did the sets (fields, gyms, warehouses, caves) and the outfits (gold mesh robes, brocade tunics, tie-dye sweatsuits).

The videos have always been very personal, intermingling conversations about topics like Black men’s experiences with PTSD and child rearing, candid moments of the group on tour and even Nwigwe’s proposal to Fat. “This is what life looks like all the time,” Nwigwe said. Grant laughed exuberantly as she explained that she and her husband, Cory, live at the Nwigwe household part-time, patting her belly and announcing herself in “baby season.”

The music has also always had a spiritual element. Nwigwe said he wrote “I Need You To (Breonna Taylor)” because he had a dream in which God told him to. “Make it Home,” another recent release, is a slow, soulful ballad that wishes an idyllic afterlife upon his crew. “This for the nappy heads in heaven/With a nappy head Christ by they side/Yeah, may your streets be paved with gold/Yeah, hope my whole hood makes it home.”

Nwigwe, who grew up Catholic, describes his relationship with God as a way to channel his instincts, which, like his football skills, stray combative. “Try Jesus” illustrates the point: “Try Jesus/Not me/’Cause I throw hands.”

Today, he diverts this energy into collaboration with his team. When there’s an atmosphere he wants infused into a song, he gives Grant a few descriptive words to translate into a track. When he wants a dress or a tunic designed — right now, inspired by his trips to Nigeria and Japan — he pieces together ideas on Pinterest and sends them to a local Cameroonian tailor. The only thing Nwigwe does entirely alone is writing and freestyling.

The group is so locked in to its own rhythms and systems that when record labels come calling — Nwigwe said he had been contacted by Mass Appeal, Roc Nation and Sony — executives don’t quite know what to offer them. “They have someone call you and say, ‘Anything we can do,’” Fat said.
Nwigwe’s response? “What can you do for me that I’m not already doing?” The question is, what can you do for an artist who has built his own beautiful, efficient engine, fueled by his family and best friends, without giving up ownership or profit?

“Fifty million dollars!” Grant said with a cackle. But then she got serious, explaining that the label system might simply not be right for them. “I don’t know if what you do translates to what we do,” she said.

“The thing about us,” Nwigwe said, “is we’re not lazy.”

The Nwigwe engine revved as the “Eat” shoot carried on. Three dancers called the Black Angels Collective ran through their choreography in tiered sea-foam tulle pants. Grant took a steamer to her and Nwigwe’s linen outfits. Fat twisted Ivory’s hair and touched up her lipstick. And Nwigwe reminded everyone to keep their vibe up, to yell the lyrics if they needed to make it feel more real.

- Cory Booker

- Gary Lineker

thegodcam
41497 posts
Tue Aug-18-20 10:02 AM

7. "Q & A on youtube links"
In response to Reply # 0

my principles guide me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zy7-_al7lc

thoughts on record labels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXPyy0eBu8Q

when did it click?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJTbXspgzq8

- Cory Booker

- Gary Lineker

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Tue Aug-18-20 11:21 AM

9. "dude has heat. he also has some duds. but so does any artist."
In response to Reply # 0

i like him in general but i can only take him in doses.

that said, i like what he stands for (disclaimer: from what i know of dude) and i like that he gets his shit done in his own way.

i guess i say all that to say i'm a fan but not a Stan.

kevb
Charter member
16580 posts
Tue Aug-18-20 12:51 PM

10. "Tobe is dope as hell, but"
In response to Reply # 0

...we hear the same themes in almost every song.

Shout out to his creative team, because those visuals really enhance some of the songs with little bite.

kev

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Aug-18-20 01:41 PM

11. "spot on! I went on a long run with a Tobe playlist....was a BAD idea lol..."
In response to Reply # 10

I coulda sworn I'd heard the same song like 4 times....
Don't get me wrong...it was a GREAT song...but damn...really fcked with my tempo lol...

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Wed Aug-19-20 11:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "I became a fan couple years ago after Wavy first dropped"
In response to Reply # 0

But the more I listened, the more everything sounded the same.
Stopped checking for him after a few months.
The Breonna Taylor joint and the Try Jesus one are both really cool for what they are, but they're not great songs or anything.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Lobby General Discussion topic #13398153 Previous topic | Next topic