Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13396972

Subject: "Would you trust your parents to raise your children?" Previous topic | Next topic
AFRICAN
Charter member
11871 posts
Sun Aug-02-20 08:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Would you trust your parents to raise your children?"

God forbid you were taken out of the picture , how would you feel about your parents continuing your job?

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
instagram:@3rdworldview
Blessed be the Lord /who believe any mess they read up on the message board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
no,
Aug 02nd 2020
My Mom is 68 and my Dad passed
Aug 02nd 2020
My dad is 79 with dementia and my mom is 75.
Aug 02nd 2020
not really.
Aug 02nd 2020
My mom is already a big part of raising my kids, but
Aug 02nd 2020
I would’ve trusted my mom
Aug 03rd 2020
Grandparents are a thing of the past
Aug 03rd 2020
Grandparents are a thing of the past
Aug 03rd 2020
Grandparents are still around.
Aug 03rd 2020
i wouldnt want to put that on her
Aug 03rd 2020
Before Covid my Dad watched our son during the day twice a week.
Aug 03rd 2020
(Post Covid) With the decline of retail
Aug 03rd 2020
hell no. they did a terrible job w/me.
Aug 03rd 2020
Eh... My mother in law is cool for weekend visits
Aug 03rd 2020
yes. my mother did...
Aug 04th 2020
Yes.
Aug 04th 2020
yeah
Aug 04th 2020
nope!
Aug 04th 2020
Def wouldn't be my first choice, honestly
Aug 04th 2020
my mom and my stepdad are people who can be trusted
Aug 04th 2020

Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Sun Aug-02-20 10:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "no, "
In response to Reply # 0

my 14yo son has behavioral problems caused by unsettled disagreements in parenting between me and my ex, and my parents who are still married have a lot of the same personality and relationship ticks that me and my ex have/had. it wouldn't go well.
i think if i had to pick, i think my younger sister would be able to do the best job.

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Sun Aug-02-20 01:00 PM

2. "My Mom is 68 and my Dad passed"
In response to Reply # 0

We have five kids so it would be way too much. They’ll go to my sisters.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Sun Aug-02-20 03:51 PM

3. "My dad is 79 with dementia and my mom is 75."
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Sun Aug-02-20 03:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "not really."
In response to Reply # 0

she's not very adaptable at 70. she'd be very willing to step in.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Sun Aug-02-20 11:29 PM

5. "My mom is already a big part of raising my kids, but "
In response to Reply # 0

If something like that were to happen that's not who they would go to. She's 76 years old now. She would continue to be a part of it as long as she would be here, but full time raising my kids, I wouldn't ask that from her. One of my two best friends, brothers really, would be who I would choose. I actually had this discussion with one of them recently and it was pretty much decided that it would be that way. And vice versa if it were to happen to him.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79605 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 07:00 AM

6. "I would’ve trusted my mom"
In response to Reply # 0

not my dad.

While I have no problem leaving my kids with my in-laws they are at an age where it isn’t fair to have them chasing after kids full time.

My sister tho.. definitely.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 09:01 AM

"Grandparents are a thing of the past"

I was practically raised by my grandparents. But our parents had us in their 20s. Now most of my friends are starting to have kids in their late 30s early 40s. Most parents are well into their 70s or deceased.

My kid's paternal grandparents really step in but only because my child's father is much younger than I am, therefore his parents are in their 60's. LOL! But even still, I couldn't leave my kid with them until she was talking, independent and self sufficient.

Now, I look to peers to tag-team babysit. Most old people don't want the stress of little children. Shit, I don't want to watch my friends' kids unless they can go to the bathroom and eat on their own.

Child care is stressful!

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 09:01 AM

7. "Grandparents are a thing of the past"
In response to Reply # 0

I was practically raised by my grandparents. But our parents had us in their 20s. Now most of my friends are starting to have kids in their late 30s early 40s. Most parents are well into their 70s or deceased.

My kid's paternal grandparents really step in but only because my child's father is much younger than I am, therefore his parents are in their 60's. LOL! But even still, I couldn't leave my kid with them until she was talking, independent and self sufficient.

Now, I look to peers to tag-team babysit. Most old people don't want the stress of little children. Shit, I don't want to watch my friends' kids unless they can go to the bathroom and eat on their own.

Child care is stressful!

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79605 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 09:28 AM

9. "Grandparents are still around. "
In response to Reply # 7

Maybe it’s a small sample size but my grandparents were old as hell.. lol. I’m the youngest of 4 tho.

One thing we have to remember is a lot of Black families were much larger. My moms side had 8 kids.. my dads side had 7 kids. So grandparents were still old as hell for most of us growing up. They “watched us” but they didn’t helicopter over us like we do with our kids.

Leaving you kid at home alone or letting them go to the park by themselves wasn’t seen as abandoning your kid. You get cops called on you now.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 09:25 AM

8. "i wouldnt want to put that on her"
In response to Reply # 0

would i trust her to? yeah. my biggest concern is her health. do i think she would do a good job? yeah. are there things i would do differently than her, yeah.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 10:34 AM

10. "Before Covid my Dad watched our son during the day twice a week."
In response to Reply # 0

After we changed day care centers.
We'd come home and this little guy would be relaxed, clean, any slight diaper rashes gone, toys organized, familiar with books we hadn't yet read to him and worn out for the night.
I had no idea my Dad was so good with toddlers.
vs.
He'd leave the day care center stressed out, relieved we came to get him, filthy...and our pockets $600 a week lighter for p/t care.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 10:53 AM

12. "(Post Covid) With the decline of retail "
In response to Reply # 10

and the exorbitant rise in costs for childcare and eldercare, along with increased unemployment, a plan to partially solve each of those issues could be to re-purpose failing/abandoned malls. Changing them into care facilities, or different versions of community centers.
Both child and elder care, in a kind of a cooperative space where elders work to care for babies and kids, helping to keep them active filled with purpose and providing therapeutic interaction keeping or resharpening their minds. While older kids work with elders being pseudo chaperones and helping them bridge the digital divide, as they also gain from the elders extensive knowledge base.
Actual staff would work there to manage and ensure safety and health, and to man the repurposed shops that would each offer some form of creative interactive space.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 10:36 AM

11. "hell no. they did a terrible job w/me."
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Mon Aug-03-20 11:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Eh... My mother in law is cool for weekend visits"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd trust her to care for my children for an extended period, if necessary.

But raising them, doing the actual work of instilling values, discipline, actually educating them on how to deal with the world around them, etc? I can't see I feel at ease over the proposition.

It's not for lack of love. She just doesn't have the mindset for it, for me.

She actively steered my wife away from college, in favor of entering the workforce right away. And yes, she instilled certain self-image stigmas that my wife struggles with to this day.

I have no way of knowing how much of that she's learned from, and what she would differently though.

I'm not he is in many- not all- ways, stereotypical of her generation, philosophically and sociologically.

There's other examples of poor decision making that I won't get into here. But in a lot of ways, my wife turned out as well as she did in spite of her upbringing.

Of equal importance, her health isn't where it needs to be in order for her to keep up with them. Weekend visits had to decrease significantly for this reason.

By and large she's a great grandmother. I trust her overall, from a love, care, and her concern for their well-being, but I do have some concerns over the idea of her actually raising them to adulthood.

Far as my own mother, not a chance, under any scenario. The idea of her raising my kids is an absolute joke. She lost every last one of her kids to foster care, at some point or another. She doesn't know how to raise kids, nor should she ever be entrusted to the care of any human being.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue Aug-04-20 08:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "yes. my mother did..."
In response to Reply # 0

I was a child myself.
I’m raising my grand daughter now...

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Tue Aug-04-20 09:55 AM

15. "Yes."
In response to Reply # 0

They already play a significant role. He's also 13, so about 8 more years and he'll be a young adult.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Aug-04-20 10:13 AM

16. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 0

but they're getting up there.

I know my daughter's emotional well-being will be in good hands.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue Aug-04-20 10:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "nope!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-04-20 10:57 AM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Tue Aug-04-20 06:16 PM

18. "Def wouldn't be my first choice, honestly"
In response to Reply # 0

They'd do what they'd have to do, but yeah not ideal

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Aug-04-20 06:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "my mom and my stepdad are people who can be trusted"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't agree with them on everything but yeah, that'd be fine

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby General Discussion topic #13396972 Previous topic | Next topic