Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13392194

Subject: "Any Sprint subscribers in here? " Previous topic | Next topic
PROMO
Charter member
30967 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 03:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Any Sprint subscribers in here? "

If so, y'all noticed shitty phone services lately? outages, etc?

i know they merged with T-Mobile so they probably aren't feeling the love right now, but in the past week there's been times where we went to use the phone and it just straight up wasn't working.

my wife just tried to call me and she just had no service. she texted me and that came thru asking me to call her. i called her and it just rang and rang - never went to voicemail so I hung up after about 10 rings. called back and it finally went through and she confirmed she didn't get a missed call.

just curious if anyone else has been noticing anything.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
"Sprint"? they SHOULD be called "CRAWL"!
Jul 06th 2020
word. i hear that a lot from people around the country.
Jul 06th 2020
      Back when I has Sprint, it was feast or famine...
Jul 06th 2020
           Google Fi?
Jul 06th 2020
                RE: Google Fi?
Jul 06th 2020
                Google Fi.. its pretty awesome
Jul 08th 2020
Haven't noticed but I went into a T-Mobile store
Jul 06th 2020
right. i assume it's because of the switch...
Jul 06th 2020
It's possible, though not 100% certain. Short mini tech answer:
Jul 08th 2020
everybody should be on (voice over) LTE by now
Jul 08th 2020
i got told the same. shit went south around 2 weeks after that. nm
Jul 08th 2020
Had to quit Sprint not ling after I had to give up Nextel
Jul 08th 2020
yes. this is a thing. tmobile merge effed it up.
Jul 08th 2020
i could see the merger causing problems
Jul 08th 2020
havent seen any official company statements
Jul 08th 2020
yeah, i gotta talk to the wife about just switching now...
Jul 08th 2020

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. ""Sprint"? they SHOULD be called "CRAWL"!"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't really have much to add other than friends/family repeatedly talking about how bad of a phone company they are

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

PROMO
Charter member
30967 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 03:36 PM

2. "word. i hear that a lot from people around the country."
In response to Reply # 1

however, they've been nothing but excellent for me. like, been on Sprint since I got my second cell phone in '04 ('05?) and I've had maybe 2 issues over that whole time.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Back when I has Sprint, it was feast or famine..."
In response to Reply # 2

My 1st mobile phone was on Nextel which then converted over to Sprint around 2005 or 2006. I rarely had any real issues with Sprint. Over a span of roughly 12-13 years, I could count on one hand the number of times I called customer service for a persistent problem.

But when I did call, it was an absolute nightmare trying to get things done. So it can definitely be a glass half full/half empty thing with them.

I switched to Google Fi sometime around 2017 or 2018.

PROMO
Charter member
30967 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 03:59 PM

5. "Google Fi?"
In response to Reply # 3

gonna do some research.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 04:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: Google Fi?"
In response to Reply # 5

>gonna do some research.

Me & the little lady both have the Google Pixel 3. For 2 phones, Google Fi charges $35 per month plus $10/GB for data. But if you're on wifi most of the time, that's gonna be a very small charge. We used 0.55 GB last month.

The monthly bill for us together (including the monthly charge, data, taxes, a device protection plan for both of us) is usually $75. Since we've been quarantined, it's been about $65.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Jul-08-20 07:14 PM

15. "Google Fi.. its pretty awesome"
In response to Reply # 5

i have zero complaints with Fi - been on them.... 5 years now?
my phone bill is like 30$
and google just gave us back the option to have a google voice number in addition to Fi.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 03:59 PM

4. "Haven't noticed but I went into a T-Mobile store"
In response to Reply # 0

Because I was shopping for a new phone & the guy told me that everybody with a Sprint phone would have to get a new phone in a year or two. (btw the guy at Best Buy, where I eventually got a new phone, said he doesn't think this isn't true)

But I generally think it depends on what kind of phone you have if you're having problems. But a lot of people are because of the switch.

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

PROMO
Charter member
30967 posts
Mon Jul-06-20 04:08 PM

6. "right. i assume it's because of the switch..."
In response to Reply # 4

and i did some googles and saw a few articles about service issues from 2 or 3 weeks ago.

i also remember when this all went down that Sprint was going to stay Sprint for about 2 years (like you mentioned).

however, one of the articles i also saw was that because of COVID-19, T-Mobile was having to bail on some of the "promises" they made as part of the merger, so I'm wondering if this is related.

we're all out of contract right now with Sprint, so I'm wondering if it's time to switch companies considering all of this. might have to go Verizon though because i've had TERRIBLE experience with T-Mobile around here.

that's one thing i loved about Sprint...i NEVER had a connectivity issue with them that i can remember (until now). i mean, getting service in places i had no business getting service. i had a Sidekick for 2 days on T-Mobile and that shit would not work 5 feet underground in a wood house with windows everywhere and the cell phone tower was one house away. i mean, that was like 2005 or 2006 but i'm just saying.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Wed Jul-08-20 10:49 AM

8. "It's possible, though not 100% certain. Short mini tech answer:"
In response to Reply # 4

Comes down to the phone, really. Verizon and Sprint used a different frequency (CDMA) than ATT, T-Mobile and a rack of international carriers (GSM). A good deal of your more modern phones have both radios in them, making it a bit easier to switch carriers, but not all. Throw the push for 5G in there and it becomes more complicated (and a better idea to switch phones)

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Wed Jul-08-20 06:51 PM

13. "everybody should be on (voice over) LTE by now"
In response to Reply # 8

everybody = 90% of customers besides grandparents or others that refuse to upgrade

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jul-08-20 05:28 PM

11. "i got told the same. shit went south around 2 weeks after that. nm"
In response to Reply # 4

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Wed Jul-08-20 10:52 AM

9. "Had to quit Sprint not ling after I had to give up Nextel"
In response to Reply # 0

Shoddy service, shoddy service coverage, shoddy phone selection at the time. I had to fight with them to try and get my Nexus 5 activated, which didn't happen. Went to T-Mobile and never looked back.

I had written a long letter to Sprint on their social media sites at the time. Pretty mad...

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jul-08-20 05:27 PM

10. "yes. this is a thing. tmobile merge effed it up. "
In response to Reply # 0

something to do w/ 5g cutover.

i had that signal repeater in the crib from sprint. they suggested we update it, and switch it to run on wifi and enable wifi calling.

eff. that.

that made it way worser.

turned that shit off.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Riot
14614 posts
Wed Jul-08-20 06:28 PM

12. "i could see the merger causing problems"
In response to Reply # 10

but the wifi calling is off the router inside your house

so at home, if no where else in the world, should be good?

they may need to reset the device or something but should be a simple fix

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Riot
14614 posts
Wed Jul-08-20 06:55 PM

14. "havent seen any official company statements"
In response to Reply # 0

of what they are currently doing

tho in my area sprint and tmo use different eqpt for LTE/4G, so tmo could be trying to integrate the backend hardware

or just repurposing sprint spectrum to prioritize tmo users

if they make it crappy enough, soon enough, they can get the old high cost customers to upgrade and shut down the old networks for good

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

PROMO
Charter member
30967 posts
Wed Jul-08-20 07:27 PM

16. "yeah, i gotta talk to the wife about just switching now..."
In response to Reply # 14

we're gonna have to do it eventually, and we're outta contract right now just leasing our phones, so now is a good time.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13392194 Previous topic | Next topic