Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13391137

Subject: "BET Awards is killing it." Previous topic | Next topic
lightworks
Member since Feb 17th 2006
5818 posts
Sun Jun-28-20 08:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"BET Awards is killing it."

I’m shocked I thought it would be trash since it’s remote and all.

But Megan the Stallion had a great Mad Max-esque performance is the desert and DaBaby had a very timely performance that I was impressed with as well.

Host Amanda Seales in front of an obvious green screen is kinda meh but it’s neat she’s throwing it back to old school Black shows like Comic View and 106th and Park.

Even when we are post-COVID they should stick to random performances in random locations, it’s dope.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I am entertained. Very polished
Jun 28th 2020
BET is white owned (Viacom)
Jun 28th 2020
      RE: BET is white owned (Viacom)
Jun 28th 2020
yeah they keeping it classy.
Jun 28th 2020
I Thought It Was Pretty Boring & Bland
Jun 29th 2020
There was a commercial during this that made me pretty happy
Jun 29th 2020
did they mention Bill & Betty? Or no mention + no tribute?
Jun 29th 2020
      They were mentioned in a montage of stars who passed during the
Jun 29th 2020
      What soulfunk said
Jun 29th 2020
Other than Amanda Seales, it worked
Jun 29th 2020
You don't think Amanda Seales killed it?
Jun 29th 2020
      There is legitimate concern that her previous actions are overlooked
Jun 30th 2020
           That's like saying someone that gave an Oscar winning performance
Jul 01st 2020
Didn't watch live
Jun 29th 2020
Twitter didnt like the Dababy/ George Floyd video
Jun 30th 2020

sersey
Member since Jan 03rd 2005
934 posts
Sun Jun-28-20 09:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I am entertained. Very polished"
In response to Reply # 0

I been wondering two things tho:

-Why are so few actual awards being announced. It’s been 95% performances. Been watching 2 hours now and I’ve seen only 3 actual awards announced. Weird.

-All the performances have been dope. Full-on production sets that play like big-budget music videos. It has me wondering who’s paying for these production sets? BET, the artists record labels, Advertising dollars from the show’s sponsors?

EAS
Charter member
1702 posts
Sun Jun-28-20 11:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "BET is white owned (Viacom)"
In response to Reply # 1

Since dust is getting kicked up and buildings burned, some corporations are jumping on board to settle the smoke. Viacom is no different. Finally, an A+ quality award show to compete with the majors. There aren't many awards because there is not much diversity in Black entertainment on a major scale.

Buuuut.......the award shows from previous years wasn't that bad was it?

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Sun Jun-28-20 11:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: BET is white owned (Viacom)"
In response to Reply # 3

>Buuuut.......the award shows from previous years wasn't that
>bad was it?

yes

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Sun Jun-28-20 09:36 PM

2. "yeah they keeping it classy."
In response to Reply # 0

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 12:34 AM

5. "I Thought It Was Pretty Boring & Bland"
In response to Reply # 0

...but I've never cared for award shows since the early 90's, I do listen to the radio and I get more than enough of hearing these popular songs over & over, so I don't want to hear them on an award show.

Yeah I've noticed the format cause of covid-19, it made the show kind of tame & calm, but it was way too many slow song performances for me (Alicia makes me cringe everytime she sings), also they could've done without the Lil Wayne joint.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 12:37 AM

6. "There was a commercial during this that made me pretty happy"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-29-20 12:40 AM by Boogie Stimuli

To see Cody Chesnutt providing the soundtrack for a Pixar film (Soul) made me happy for the guy. It was criminal the way that "Landing On A Hundred" album was slept on... just brilliant, thoughtful, and polished the way The Headphone Masterpiece wasn't. Good to see him getting his where he can.

I liked Jennifer Hudson's Aretha tribute. No one's gonna sing like the Queen, but Jennifer did well. I didn't even know she was playing her in a movie. I'm out the loop.

D Smoke's performance was nice, but he's dope every time I see him.

I would've liked for the Little Richard tribute to have been taken more seriously and done by a seasoned, full-time singer.

I know Kobe was a big loss, but it's kinda silly to me that he got a tribute on a music awards show while neither Betty Wright nor Bill Withers did. I mean really, wtf.

And with the theme of this whole show being around black lives, I didn't particularly care to see Lil Wayne on it unless he opened with a recanting of his claim that there's no such thing as racism.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 08:44 AM

7. "did they mention Bill & Betty? Or no mention + no tribute?"
In response to Reply # 6

I saw on Twitter that they put Willie Brown in the memorial part...can't get right

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 09:42 AM

9. "They were mentioned in a montage of stars who passed during the "
In response to Reply # 7

year. But the montage ended with Kobe and then went to Wayne's Kobe tribute.

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 12:35 PM

10. "What soulfunk said"
In response to Reply # 7

There was a segment of the show between commercials at the midway mark that was all tributes. It started with Wayne Brady's Little Richard tribute, went right into a montage of faces of people who passed this year (this is where Betty Wright and Bill Withers were shown), and then into Lil Wayne's Kobe Bryant tribute. That's what made it extra noticeable to me.
Jennifer Hudson's tribute to Aretha was a couple of commercial breaks before all of that.

~
~
~
~
~

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 09:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Other than Amanda Seales, it worked"
In response to Reply # 0

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 08:36 PM

12. "You don't think Amanda Seales killed it?"
In response to Reply # 8

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

The Case for Christ Lecture: https://youtu.be/67uj2qvQi_k

Good News: https://www.goodnewsnetwork

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Tue Jun-30-20 01:38 PM

13. "There is legitimate concern that her previous actions are overlooked"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Jun-30-20 01:40 PM by Boogie Stimuli

Specifically her actions against Myron Rolle. I get it, R.Kelly performed at an award show after his inital allegations surfaced, so there's that. At the same time, if we're gonna be serious about MeToo and the focus on black male offenders, it's only right that we also be conscious of the history of false accusations against black males and what that has meant for our lives. Should she be "muted" or at least not allowed to host, based on that? She didn't apologize. She went into gaslighting and doubled down when she was called on it. It'd be better if she at least acknoledged that what she did was messed up and that she shouldn't have done it.

I don't wanna speak for CIPHA, because maybe this isn't even his issue, but I can completely understand anyone who has issues with her... especially hosting a show with this theme.

~
~
~
~
~

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Jul-01-20 11:24 AM

15. "That's like saying someone that gave an Oscar winning performance"
In response to Reply # 13

is wack because of some hott garbage (non-criminal) mess. Sure She can get dragged because she's a drama queen. But she did work that host mess like a champ.

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

The Case for Christ Lecture: https://youtu.be/67uj2qvQi_k

Good News: https://www.goodnewsnetwork

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 02:20 PM

11. "Didn't watch live"
In response to Reply # 0

but caught the Fight The Power remix with Nas, Black Thought, P.E. etc and it came out pretty dope.

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6024 posts
Tue Jun-30-20 01:45 PM

14. "Twitter didnt like the Dababy/ George Floyd video"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/popbase/status/1277417989516562434

Lobby General Discussion topic #13391137 Previous topic | Next topic