Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13390831

Subject: "The murder of Elijah McClain" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 04:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The murder of Elijah McClain"

https://www.nytimes.com/article/who-was-elijah-mcclain.html

Mr. McClain died days after he was detained by the police last summer. His death has come to occupy a central place in Colorado’s fast-moving debate over police reform.

As outrage over police brutality has erupted across the country in the wake of George Floyd’s death, a wave of fresh attention and scrutiny has been applied to older cases in which people died after encounters with the police.

One such case is that of Elijah McClain, a 23-year-old black man who died last summer after the police in Aurora, Colo., restrained him with a chokehold that has since been banned.

Mr. McClain was walking home from a convenience store on Aug. 24 when someone called 911, saying he “looked sketchy” and was wearing a ski mask and waving his arms.

The police arrived, and after struggling to handcuff Mr. McClain, officers brought him to the ground and used a carotid hold, which restricts blood to the brain to render someone unconscious. When medical responders arrived, after about 15 minutes, paramedics injected him with ketamine, a powerful sedative.

Mr. McClain went into cardiac arrest on the way to a hospital. He died a few days later.

Who was Elijah McClain?
Mr. McClain was a massage therapist who is said to have loved animals and who taught himself to play the guitar and the violin, according to The Cut. A photograph of Mr. McClain playing the violin for stray cats, which he believed helped soothe them, has gone viral.

A GoFundMe page created by Sheneen McClain, Mr. McClain’s mother, had raised nearly $1.5 million by Thursday afternoon, and more than 3 million people have signed an online petition demanding that the officers involved be taken off duty and that there be an in-depth investigation of the encounter.

How did he die?
It is unclear what exactly caused Mr. McClain to go into cardiac arrest.

An autopsy report by the Adams County coroner said that the cause of death was “undetermined,” and that it could have been a result of natural causes, a homicide related to the carotid hold, or an accident.

But while he was detained, Mr. McClain was clearly in distress. After officers restrained him on the ground, he vomited several times, for which he apologized, saying, “I’m sorry, I wasn’t trying to do that, I can’t breathe correctly.”

An officer said in the body camera footage that officers had “put him out” with a carotid hold twice, “at least once successfully,” meaning Mr. McClain had lost consciousness.

When paramedics arrived, they gave him what was described as a “therapeutic” dose of ketamine; body camera footage shows that it made his body go limp when he was loaded onto a gurney.

The autopsy report, released in November, said a combination of factors could have killed Mr. McClain.

Mr. McClain was “violently struggling with officers, who were attempting to restrain him,” the report read. “Most likely the decedent’s physical exertion contributed to death. It is unclear if the officers’ actions contributed as well.”

In the report, it was also noted that Mr. McClain had chronic asthma.

In response to the autopsy report, Mari Newman, the lawyer representing Mr. McClain’s family, told Denver7 ABC, “Whatever the report says, it’s clear that if the police had not attacked Elijah McClain, he would be alive today.”

“They immediately went hands on and tackled him,” she said. “And of course the fact that all three of their body cameras fell off is something that we should all be pretty suspicious about. It makes it awfully easy for them to say whatever they want, but what we know is that they attacked him for no reason whatsoever. It was excessive force and it led to his death.

One officer approached Mr. McClain, who was listening to music, and told him to stop walking. Mr. McClain stopped after several commands but said he had a right to continue toward home.

According to the camera footage, the officer responded, saying he had a right to stop Mr. McClain for looking suspicious, and grabbed him by the arms. As another officer approached, Mr. McClain can be heard saying, “I am an introvert, please respect the boundaries that I am speaking. Leave me alone.”

Though Mr. McClain had not committed a crime, officers immediately restrained him, telling him to stop resisting when he put his arms up to his chest and to “stop tensing up.” The footage shows Mr. McClain pleading with the officers to let go of him, and trying to get out of their grip.

The officers eventually brought him to the ground, claiming he had reached for one of their guns while they were pinning him against a wall to handcuff him. The body camera footage does not show this, officers said, because their cameras had fallen off into the grass.

At one point, an officer tells Mr. McClain that he would use his dog on him if he did not “stop messing around.”

More officers arrived after Mr. McClain was restrained. While talking with one another, officers said that Mr. McClain was “acting crazy,” that he was “definitely on something,” and that he had attacked officers when they tried to restrain him. They also said he had “incredible, crazy strength,” and that at one point three officers were on top of him.

The autopsy report notes that Mr. McClain was 5 feet 6 inches and weighed 140 pounds.

What happened to the police officers?
After Mr. McClain’s death, Officers Woodyard, Rosenblatt and Roedema were placed on administrative leave, but they have all since been reinstated.

A few days after the autopsy report was released, Dave Young, the Adams County district attorney, announced that criminal charges would not be filed, saying there was not enough evidence the officers had broken the law when they used force on Mr. McClain.

The decision angered Mr. McClain’s family, and this spring, his mother pushed lawmakers to adopt police reforms. As the case garnered more attention in recent weeks, Vanessa Wilson, the interim chief of the Aurora Police Department, announced a ban on carotid holds, like the one used on Mr. McClain.

Officers are also now required to report excessive force used by their colleagues, and to announce their intention to use deadly force before firing their weapon.

And on Thursday, Gov. Jared Polis of Colorado signed an executive order appointing the state’s attorney general, Phil Weiser, to re-examine the case and file charges if the facts support prosecution.

“Elijah McClain should be alive today,” Mr. Polis said in a statement, “and we owe it to his family to take this step and elevate the pursuit of justice in his name to a statewide concern.”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Last words: "I am an introvert. I am just different."
Jun 26th 2020
I made the Kalief Browder connection, too.
Jun 26th 2020
young man apologized for vomiting...
Jun 26th 2020
Broke me down...
Jun 26th 2020
And if it weren’t for George Floyd we’d have never fucking heard of ...
Jun 26th 2020
this shit had me so sad/angry. all the stuff he was saying to them...
Jun 26th 2020
this one crushed me. hearing his voice, man. i just...
Jun 26th 2020
      It really is.
Jun 26th 2020
           Equal
Jun 26th 2020
           Can't argue with any of that.
Jun 26th 2020
           ^^^ all facts. nm
Jul 01st 2020
           equal. b/c if they are okay with this shit, they'd do it, given the chan...
Jul 01st 2020
                Well said. Agreed.
Jul 01st 2020
young man played the violin for stray cats
Jun 28th 2020
THIS is the one that made my sister go ballistic
Jun 28th 2020
I can't do this anymore!
Jun 29th 2020
3 officers, 2 paramedics charged
Sep 07th 2021

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 05:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Last words: "I am an introvert. I am just different.""
In response to Reply # 0

This is such a poignant snapshot of Black male existence:

Mr. McClain was clearly in distress. After officers restrained him on the ground, he vomited several times, for which he apologized, saying, “I’m sorry, I wasn’t trying to do that, I can’t breathe correctly.”

So often we apologize for our completely normal reactions to pain and/or mistreatment and go out of our way to show people that we're human too. This young man had a heart of gold, playing violin for stray cats to calm them. Who does that? Another example of how it just doesn't matter how Black males interact with racist cops. This one hits me very similar to the Kalief Browder story. Just makes me go blank for a while.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24413 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 09:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I made the Kalief Browder connection, too."
In response to Reply # 1

They both made and make me feel just a whole person emptiness and grief that's impossible to describe. Everytime I see their faces.

>This is such a poignant snapshot of Black male existence:
>
>Mr. McClain was clearly in distress. After officers restrained
>him on the ground, he vomited several times, for which he
>apologized, saying, “I’m sorry, I wasn’t trying to do
>that, I can’t breathe correctly.”
>
>So often we apologize for our completely normal reactions to
>pain and/or mistreatment and go out of our way to show people
>that we're human too. This young man had a heart of gold,
>playing violin for stray cats to calm them. Who does that?
>Another example of how it just doesn't matter how Black males
>interact with racist cops. This one hits me very similar to
>the Kalief Browder story. Just makes me go blank for a while.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 07:23 AM

2. "young man apologized for vomiting..."
In response to Reply # 0

shit makes me cry. Even when under duress, we are somehow, still at fault.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 09:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Broke me down..."
In response to Reply # 2

AGAIN!

I’m grieving for him, I ended up grieving again for all.

The video of him walking into his surprise party is what I try to keep in mind when I see his name. I’m tired of the feeling, the tear shedding, and the hurt.

And we’re not even family like that but we are family.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Brew
24413 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 09:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "And if it weren’t for George Floyd we’d have never fucking heard of ..."
In response to Reply # 0

In other words, racist pigs had to murder ANOTHER innocent, unarmed black man so that this innocent, unarmed black man could even have a fucking CHANCE at justice.

We truly live in a shithole country.

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 10:04 AM

6. "this shit had me so sad/angry. all the stuff he was saying to them..."
In response to Reply # 0

and it reminded me of george floyd because of how respectful he was being to them while they were ultimately killing him.

does anyone know the actual cause of death. i've read varying things, and one of them was he actually died from complications (or overdose?) of being injected with Ketamine? the police can inject you with drugs? WTF?!?!?!?

it will by no means be justice, but i hope his family gets the whole police budget when this is over.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 05:31 PM

7. "this one crushed me. hearing his voice, man. i just... "
In response to Reply # 6

this country so fucked up.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Brew
24413 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 09:47 PM

8. "It really is."
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Jun-26-20 10:08 PM by Brew

>this country so fucked up.

And I've had a lot of trouble deciding who's worse. The evil people who do things like what these cops did. Or the people who otherwise appear to be decent, but who always instinctively find some bullshit way to defend the cops after instances like this.

Maybe they're equal. I dunno.

Either way, we are such a fucked up society.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 10:06 PM

9. "Equal"
In response to Reply # 8

>And I've had a lot of trouble deciding who's worse. The evil
>people who do things like what these cops did. Or the people
>who otherwise appear to be decent, but who instinctively
>defend the cops after instances like this.
>
>Maybe they're equal. I dunno.
>
>Either way, we are such a fucked up society.

It's all part of the network we refer to as the system of white supremacy. If white people collectively decide that enough is enough, white people alone would stop it from happening. The cops need people who defend them in order to operate as they do. Not just institutional funding/defense etc but social. It has to be normalized. The people who defend them are playing their role. All players on the team may not score (or kill), but they all participate in the "win."

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Brew
24413 posts
Fri Jun-26-20 10:07 PM

10. "Can't argue with any of that."
In response to Reply # 9

>It's all part of the network we refer to as the system of
>white supremacy. If white people collectively decide that
>enough is enough, white people alone would stop it from
>happening. The cops need people who defend them in order to
>operate as they do. Not just institutional funding/defense
>etc but social. It has to be normalized. The people who
>defend them are playing their role. All players on the team
>may not score (or kill), but they all participate in the
>"win."

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jul-01-20 08:30 PM

15. "^^^ all facts. nm"
In response to Reply # 9

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jul-01-20 08:30 PM

14. "equal. b/c if they are okay with this shit, they'd do it, given the chan..."
In response to Reply # 8

and would certainly do it or cosign someone else doing it to support their maintaining their bullshit worldview + social order + illusion of superiority.

fuck them too, at this point.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

Brew
24413 posts
Wed Jul-01-20 09:35 PM

16. "Well said. Agreed."
In response to Reply # 14

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Sun Jun-28-20 10:41 PM

11. "young man played the violin for stray cats"
In response to Reply # 0

which on it's own is one of the most unique kind soul things I've ever hear about a another human being

I'll admit I never heard about his story. just too fucked up

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Sun Jun-28-20 11:17 PM

12. "THIS is the one that made my sister go ballistic"
In response to Reply # 0

She posted about it and cried her heart out explain how polite he was while being killed.

She kept repeating "Theyre evil!!! Theyre evil!!! ALL of them."

All i could do was hold her. I had no words.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 09:19 PM

13. "I can't do this anymore!"
In response to Reply # 0

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

The Case for Christ Lecture: https://youtu.be/67uj2qvQi_k

Good News: https://www.goodnewsnetwork

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue Sep-07-21 10:21 AM

17. "3 officers, 2 paramedics charged"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/01/1033289263/elijah-mcclain-death-officers-paramedics-charged

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Lobby General Discussion topic #13390831 Previous topic | Next topic