Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13389094

Subject: "How Do You Feel About Black People Still Giving Trump His Photo Op?" Previous topic | Next topic
Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 06:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How Do You Feel About Black People Still Giving Trump His Photo Op?"

https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1272760998282264577
https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1272763682553040896
https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1272764898704068608
-----
EXCLUSIVE: #CivilRights leaders are OUTRAGED after a late night Tuesday call where they learned that Lee Merritt (@MeritLaw) & family members of #AhmaudArbery are expected to be on hand at the #WhiteHouse for a photo op during @realDonaldTrump’s #PoliceReform executive order.

Pt 2: #CivilRights leaders feel @realDonaldTrump’s new #PoliceReform executive order does not address the issues Black people are marching for with #BlackLivesMatter & that Lee Merritt (@MeritLaw) & the family of #AhmaudArbery are being used for a photo op.

Pt. 3: One of the men being charged in the murder of #AhmaudArbery is Gregory McMichael, an ex-police officer.

Regardless, @realDonaldTrump’s executive order doesn’t deal with #PoliceReform on a federal level, but puts the onus on local governments instead.
-----

obviously you dont wanna tell people how to act in the aftermath of the killing of one of their relatives. im sure *their* heart is in the right place.

but we know what this is for trump at this point. after getting hammered in the polls for his response to the george floyd murder and protests...he gets headlines about his 'historic' police reform executive order (guess he gave up on legislation?) which most likely does next to nothing but sounds great to suburban white moderates who just wanna feel like hes trying his best.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How Do You Feel About Black People Still Giving Trump His Photo Op?
Jun 16th 2020
fwiw you can do that without the rose garden photo op.
Jun 16th 2020
      I get it
Jun 16th 2020
           how can he NOT do it, tho?
Jun 16th 2020
That’s his job.
Jun 16th 2020
Yup. This pouting about Trump existing is anti-politics
Jun 16th 2020
apparently merritts appearance with trump might be falling apart.
Jun 16th 2020
This is why I think right wing genocide is fine
Jun 16th 2020
1. There’s millions of us
Jun 16th 2020
pure clownery
Jun 16th 2020
Trump prob thinks this is his "Mission Accomplished" moment...
Jun 16th 2020
looks like they didnt attend.
Jun 16th 2020
Right, guess we'll have to see if the pics come out
Jun 16th 2020
Most likely sign we're about to get a load of bullshit
Jun 16th 2020
Again, yall have to stop taking what you read on twitter as gospel.
Jun 16th 2020
RE: Again, yall have to stop taking what you read on twitter as gospel.
Jun 16th 2020
      And of course, that tweet is responded to by a bunch of crabs
Jun 16th 2020
           that looks like a bot directly copying a shaun king tweet word for word.
Jun 16th 2020
                *shrugs* I was going to cut and paste that language as well.
Jun 16th 2020
                     personally i wouldnt go.
Jun 17th 2020
For The Record: They Ain't Go For It
Jun 16th 2020
Full text of order (link)
Jun 16th 2020
This part is maddening to read
Jun 16th 2020
Looks like they're coming for Lee Merritt and Ben Crump now
Jun 17th 2020
I do t know about aLee Meritt
Jun 17th 2020
Feelings are one thing, but without replacements to offer...
Jun 17th 2020
      Personally, I just think there are better lawyers than him
Jun 17th 2020
you talking about stuff like this or something else?
Jun 17th 2020
      Why is it assumed she has no agency?
Jun 17th 2020
      I don't have twitter, must have been fb
Jun 17th 2020
Super wack of them but I wonder if they are just being strategic.
Jun 17th 2020
this nigga van jones mayne.
Jun 28th 2020
Bad look on his and CNN's part, wildly unethical
Jun 28th 2020
smh i remember when he launched this crazy attack on kamala harris
Jun 28th 2020
Prolly why he ended up getting a divorce.
Jun 29th 2020
we'll always have The Green Collar Economy :(
Jun 29th 2020
i dont. i find it beyond silly that our culture cares.
Jun 29th 2020
What ?
Jun 29th 2020

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 07:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: How Do You Feel About Black People Still Giving Trump His Photo Op?"
In response to Reply # 0

I imagine to do the tough work, you have to make tough calls.
The pictures would be a dealbreaker for me, but I imagine Lee sees a bigger picture. He's doing the work, so I don't see how my words compare to his work.

From Shaun King:
Tomorrow, my best friend in the world, my dear brother @leemerrittesq is going into the lion's den to fight for families impacted by police violence and racial injustice on behalf of @grassrootslaw. ⁣

Many of these families will be going with him as he speaks in the Senate, meets with the Justice Department, and meets with the staff at the White House - including Donald Trump himself. ⁣

I don't know a single person in the world that cares more for the families that we fight for than Lee. He becomes like family, like a brother, like a son, like a father to families whose most precious loved ones have been murdered and maimed by police and white supremacists. ⁣

I also don't know a single person with more of a backbone, that will never buckle under pressure, that will always speak truth to power, rather that means in the Oval Office, or on the Senate floor, than Lee. ⁣

But I have to say something hard, that I know a lot of people don't wanna hear right now. ⁣

Lee is the attorney for the family of Ahmaud Arbery, for Antwon Rose, for Botham Jean, and for nearly 100 other families impacted by injustice in this country. ⁣

And I know that many of us are addicted to the Democratic Party, but I need you to understand something - we don't have the luxury of waiting until Democrats win to fight for justice. Hell - more than 2/3rds of Lee's clients are in cities controlled by Democrats and we can't get any semblance of justice for so many of them. ⁣

In some places, we have to work with Republicans to get justice. In Georgia, where Lee represents Ahmaud's family - EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN POWER on that case is a Republican. ⁣

The Governor. The AG. The DA. The GBI. ⁣

All of them. And Lee had to find a way to work with them, amicably, to ensure that the men who murdered Ahmaud were arrested. ⁣

And tomorrow is no different. ⁣

Please follow @leemerrittesq and give him some love and support. Tomorrow is a big day for him, for @grassrootslaw, and for what we are trying to push on the federal level. And it’s a big day for the families, many that never had cases that went viral, to finally be seen and heard.

I have a 400 year old chip on my shoulder.

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 07:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "fwiw you can do that without the rose garden photo op."
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Jun-16-20 07:39 AM by Reeq

every black person says they go meet with trump because they have a responsibility to take a seat at the table. and they all leave disappointed with nothing but a photo op and/or toothless executive order.

steve harvey, hbcu presidents, black pastors, etc. same routine.

the senate appearance is presumably different as theyre supposed to be crafting real legislation.

you dont need to stand next to trump for that.

KingMonte
4675 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 07:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I get it"
In response to Reply # 4

Unlike most opinion posters, I can't look at a situation and comment like I know what's actually going on behind the scenes.
If I could enhance Black lives by taking a picture next to a dried out white piece of nazi shit, I'm taking the picture - but all the ts are crossed and the is dotted before I get to the ch in cheese.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 10:18 AM

9. "how can he NOT do it, tho? "
In response to Reply # 6

you're right, Reeq, in that it can and SHOULD happen with out all the pomp and circumstance. Never forget that Trxmp is CONSTANTLY CAMPAIGNING so EVERYTHING HE DOES IS A PHOTO OP....this won't be any dsifferent.

For all the work Lee Merritt has done, he definitely wouldn't want to be seen as 'divisive' or partisan...and NOT RIGHT NOW, lol.

The left and right are noth wings off the same bird; I'm less leery about the opportunism goin on up front than I am of what will come after 'this'

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 07:27 AM

2. "That’s his job. "
In response to Reply # 0

Gotta work with the government you have, not the need you want.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 10:33 AM

10. "Yup. This pouting about Trump existing is anti-politics"
In response to Reply # 2

he's the president.
Our people still got needs, no matter who's in office.

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 07:27 AM

3. "apparently merritts appearance with trump might be falling apart."
In response to Reply # 0

i wont repost the right wing personalities discussing it but...

part of trumps base is mad at his inclusion (close to shaun king and constantly called trump racist/liar/etc) plus the preliminary draft order was supposedly expected to mention 'systemic racism' in policing (allegedly kushner and moderate repubs idea).

its looking like there will prolly be no merritt or mention of systemic racism (which trump allies have been shooting down in recent interviews anyway). i dont know about the arbery family still showing up to the photo op.

all the original folks are still going to be at the senate hearing.

trump is under increased pressure to keep the base in tow especially after the 'betrayal' by trump appointed supreme court justices yesterday (lgbtq rights, 2nd amendment, sanctuary cities).

KingMonte
4675 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 07:54 AM

7. "This is why I think right wing genocide is fine"
In response to Reply # 3

OMG GENOCIDE?! Like they didn't do it repeatedly. FOH

Those ungrateful bitches complaining about the SCOTUS decision aren't the real republicans. The real republicans got more oil pipelines yesterday.
It's the willfully ignorant, run of the mill fox news viewer that's pissed that GAY PEOPLE CAN WORK. How this shit is even up for debate is offensive to me.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22256 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 07:46 AM

5. "1. There’s millions of us"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-16-20 07:52 AM by MEAT

2: We should be past the point of allowing ourselves to feel any kind of personal way about the actions of strangers

3. He does this a lot. This being taking the grieving families and using them as props. They don’t know what they’re signing up for. Because almost all previous stories of him doing this leads to the family members being traumatized differently from his indifference in person.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 10:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "pure clownery"
In response to Reply # 0

to pose with a man who literally tear gassed and beat back peaceful protesters for a photo op

& called the family rushedly & didn't even hear them out

while also saying police should rough up arrestees

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57003 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 10:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Trump prob thinks this is his "Mission Accomplished" moment..."
In response to Reply # 0

...this will be used in a campaign add soon enough

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 11:22 AM

12. "looks like they didnt attend."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-16-20 11:24 AM by Reeq

just met trump briefly in private.

trump most likely caved to the reactionaries in his admin. i dont hear him mentioning 'systemic racism' either (but maybe i missed it).

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 11:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Right, guess we'll have to see if the pics come out"
In response to Reply # 12

But I'm glad they're not prominently displayed at this speech.

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

KingMonte
4675 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 11:25 AM

14. "Most likely sign we're about to get a load of bullshit"
In response to Reply # 12

...which shocks no one.
All my life, I never even liked using the word hate, but these evil motherfuckers have me securely at hate, and that's some unforgivable shit.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 11:59 AM

15. "Again, yall have to stop taking what you read on twitter as gospel. "
In response to Reply # 0

Even before Reeq's post 12, my comment would have been we should wait to see what happens and see if there IS an actual photo op before getting worked up and passing all sorts of judgement.

Fast News is killing our ability to wait to hear the whole story.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 12:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "RE: Again, yall have to stop taking what you read on twitter as gospel. "
In response to Reply # 15

https://twitter.com/MeritLaw/status/1272936079709085696

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 01:04 PM

18. "And of course, that tweet is responded to by a bunch of crabs"
In response to Reply # 16

questioning why they wouldn't take the opportunity to do this:

https://twitter.com/tammy93044461/status/1272941709098471426

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 01:28 PM

20. "that looks like a bot directly copying a shaun king tweet word for word."
In response to Reply # 18

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1272939103399677952

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 01:51 PM

21. "*shrugs* I was going to cut and paste that language as well. "
In response to Reply # 20

as I thought it a good explanation as to why you do it, but didn't want to plagiarize.

That' beside the point. Do you think you don't go to the President to plea your position if you know that you won't give them a photo opp?

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 09:01 AM

27. "personally i wouldnt go."
In response to Reply # 21

in a vacuum...you got talk to the president.

but with trump? we should know better by now. but 4 years in and people apparently are still giving him a clean slate.

theres a post around here addressing the question and i think most people over time were coming to the realization that these trump meetings were almost guaranteed to be fruitless and self-serving (for him).

this instance in particular...it doesnt seem like anything came out of it but clips of arberys mom already being used for trump campaign messaging.

KingMonte
4675 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 12:16 PM

17. "For The Record: They Ain't Go For It"
In response to Reply # 0

From Shaun King again: Grateful for @leemerrittesq and the 6 families that had the courage to go to the White House to tell Trump and the DOJ about themselves. Also grateful that they had the moral courage to get up and leave and not be used as props for a shit show.

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 01:07 PM

19. "Full text of order (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

It's.....something?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/read-full-text-trump-s-executive-order-policing-n1231185

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Tue Jun-16-20 06:29 PM

22. "This part is maddening to read"
In response to Reply # 19

"(ii) the State or local law enforcement agency's use-of-force policies prohibit the use of chokeholds -- a physical maneuver that restricts an individual's ability to breathe for the purposes of incapacitation -- except in those situations where the use of deadly force is allowed by law."

So they can only choke people legally now? Is that a change in policy? Cuz it begs quite a few questions if so.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

KingMonte
4675 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 05:50 AM

23. "Looks like they're coming for Lee Merritt and Ben Crump now"
In response to Reply # 0

Calling them do nothing opportunists and the like.

As a Black progressive, it's frustrating to see the outright oppression and delivery of misery from the right, but to see "my side" shoot itself in the foot over and over again hurts my soul.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 07:23 AM

24. "I do t know about aLee Meritt"
In response to Reply # 23

but Crump doesn’t come across as a good lawyer in the interviews I’ve seen. He doesn’t sound convincing when he speaks.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

KingMonte
4675 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 07:42 AM

25. "Feelings are one thing, but without replacements to offer..."
In response to Reply # 24

It's self-defeating. It reads like "I'd rather have nothing," which is the absolute last thing Black people need right now.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 09:35 AM

31. "Personally, I just think there are better lawyers than him"
In response to Reply # 25

There has to be.

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 08:57 AM

26. "you talking about stuff like this or something else?"
In response to Reply # 23

https://twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/1273247161086435329

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 09:11 AM

28. "Why is it assumed she has no agency?"
In response to Reply # 26

Like she didn't want the meeting. Like these weren't her true impressions of the meeting.

No it's gotta be someone pulling the strings smh

KingMonte
4675 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 09:17 AM

29. "I don't have twitter, must have been fb"
In response to Reply # 26

If I had a link, I'd give it, but the agreeing comments below what I saw gave me "Shaun King is the devil" vibes and I did not like it.

lightworks
Member since Feb 17th 2006
5818 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 09:24 AM

30. "Super wack of them but I wonder if they are just being strategic."
In response to Reply # 0

On some if they get jury members at the trial that are racist white people it might help them win because the racist white folks might see them meeting with Trump as a good thing.

Goes without saying of course that this Arbery case should be and open and shut conviction but ultimately my hope is the family is just being strategic rather than actually being any sort of fans of Trump.

Reeq
16347 posts
Sun Jun-28-20 08:34 PM

32. "this nigga van jones mayne."
In response to Reply # 0

people were clowning how he was on cnn praising trumps bogus ass executive order.

turns out van was instrumental in crafting it and rolling it out.

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1277406682960875522

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22256 posts
Sun Jun-28-20 08:53 PM

33. "Bad look on his and CNN's part, wildly unethical"
In response to Reply # 32
Sun Jun-28-20 09:12 PM by MEAT

Also

https://twitter.com/Ngongang/status/1277412562657632256?s=20

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Reeq
16347 posts
Sun Jun-28-20 09:23 PM

34. "smh i remember when he launched this crazy attack on kamala harris"
In response to Reply # 33

because she skipped out on some bullshit trump hbcu photo op on criminal justice.

https://newsone.com/3891519/van-jones-kamala-harris-trump/

it all makes sense now.

i wonder how much other shit he has done is influenced by his relationship with kushner/trump.

as far as the roc nation affiliation...yeah hes been with them for a minute. that whole cj reform initiative with him, meek, hov, michael rubin, etc is basically a roc nation outfit.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 06:59 AM

35. "Prolly why he ended up getting a divorce. "

I bet she was like “this honky lover”’

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 07:03 AM

36. "we'll always have The Green Collar Economy :( "

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6024 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 09:44 AM

37. "i dont. i find it beyond silly that our culture cares."
In response to Reply # 0

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5183 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 10:24 AM

38. "What ?"
In response to Reply # 37

smh

---------------------------
Signature

Lobby General Discussion topic #13389094 Previous topic | Next topic