Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13388507

Subject: "How do you rename things named after confederate soldiers/leaders?" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How do you rename things named after confederate soldiers/leaders?"

Taking down statues and monuments is a NO BRAINIER - do it. Changing the name on buildings too.

But for the life of me I can't figure out logistically how you'd do some of it without spending a TON of money or time and how you could do it smoothly.

Example: For Bragg has around 30,000 people on it. How do you change all the printed forms, the street signs, the mail system, etc?

Louisiana has Jefferson Davis Parish, Allen Parish and Beauregard Parish - that's like 100,000 people. Same issue, think of the tax record, etc. Not to mention voter registration bullshit that people would try to exploit to suppress voters.

Even think of websites that use address verification - those would all have to be updated - and if they weren't updated at the same time then logistically things get harder to manage.

Edit:I just looked up other counties/parishes in the US:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._counties_named_after_prominent_Confederate_historical_figures and it's HUGE.

I say we DO IT. I'm ll for it. But what are the steps?

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think changing it with the closest possible name
Jun 11th 2020
They get 3 years to change it.
Jun 11th 2020
no different than when cities and counties consolidate
Jun 11th 2020
this is what city planners, etc. are paid to do. not our problem.
Jun 11th 2020
Yeah, I'm one of those lol
Jun 11th 2020
      Thanks for clarifying. In your area, do you know who would be responsibl...
Jun 13th 2020
It's okay if they operate under two names for a while...a long while.
Jun 11th 2020
Some of it is easy. Some is nearly impossible.
Jun 11th 2020
A few years ago Houston renamed a street to Emancipation Avenue...
Jun 11th 2020
Robert E Lee anything automatically becomes Bruce Lee
Jun 11th 2020
I’d like to know the steps too...
Jun 11th 2020
Fuck those people... they aren’t going to do anything
Jun 12th 2020
It's expensive but disruptive for a shorter time than you might think
Jun 12th 2020
RE: It's expensive but disruptive for a shorter time than you might thin...
Jun 13th 2020
See This Is Why I Feel People's Energy Is Being Used Wrong
Jun 12th 2020
Yeah all this placating shit is whatever (plenty of money for it tho,
Jun 12th 2020
We have the money.. change all that shit.
Jun 12th 2020
we can do it all
Jun 12th 2020
the same way when they close entire bases
Jun 12th 2020
This is the same argument people/businesses make when cities
Jun 13th 2020
Let me be clear : I want it to happen
Jun 13th 2020
      I’m from San Diego born, raised and currently still living here
Jun 13th 2020

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 01:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I think changing it with the closest possible name"
In response to Reply # 0

Jefferson Davis -> Jefferson Thomas. Random example, but the gist.

If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 01:41 PM

2. "They get 3 years to change it. "
In response to Reply # 0

That should be enough time to figure it all out.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 01:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "no different than when cities and counties consolidate"
In response to Reply # 0

and form new governmental entities with new names. there's been like 40 of them over the past two decades, so there's a ton a precedent for this sort of stuff.

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 02:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "this is what city planners, etc. are paid to do. not our problem. "
In response to Reply # 0

unless someone on here is a city planner LOL

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 02:25 PM

5. "Yeah, I'm one of those lol"
In response to Reply # 4

More academically than in practice but I do represent a city planning dep't.

And...no, its not that job. But it certainly ain't ours either.

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Sat Jun-13-20 01:39 PM

19. "Thanks for clarifying. In your area, do you know who would be responsibl..."
In response to Reply # 5

for things like these? Again, doesn’t feel like our job as the public.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 02:40 PM

6. "It's okay if they operate under two names for a while...a long while. "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-11-20 02:40 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

Some people call it The Triborough Bridge though now it is officially the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge. Google maps can find both.

I'll be damn if I call it Reagan National Airport, it's Washington National to me. Post office can find both.

Let that old stationary run out before you buy new stationery with the new name.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 02:47 PM

7. "Some of it is easy. Some is nearly impossible."
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta is trying (even though removal of confederate monuments is illegal under state law).

The City created a commission on street names and monuments. Their final report is here: https://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/assets/images/Advisory-Committee-on-City-of-Atlanta-Street-Names-and-Monuments-Associated-with-the-Confederacy-Final-Report.pdf

Douglas Blackmon who wrote "Slavery by Another Name" was on that commission. That book is a must read.

We changed a street from "Confederate Ave." to "United Ave." a couple of years ago. Most of the complaints were that people would have to learn a new address. Changing street signs is easy.

But changing a city name, or a county name? The last time a Georgia county had its name changed was 1861 and that was because the previous namesake supported the Union over the Confederacy lol.

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

dagu
Member since Nov 25th 2005
1650 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 02:58 PM

8. "A few years ago Houston renamed a street to Emancipation Avenue..."
In response to Reply # 0

...that was named after a Confederate soldier (Dowling). The street also runs through Third Ward which was a double slap in the face with the old name.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/local/2017/01/12/183416/houstons-dowling-street-to-be-renamed-emancipation-avenue/

Houston’s Dowling Street To Be Renamed Emancipation Avenue

A Houston street named for a Confederate officer will be renamed Emancipation Avenue.
Associated Press | Posted on January 12, 2017, 8:46 AM

A Houston street named for a Confederate officer will be renamed Emancipation Avenue.

The Houston City Council on Wednesday approved changing the name of Dowling Street in the historic Third Ward. Richard “Dick” Dowling was a businessman and Confederate commander in the Civil War.

The street leads to Emancipation Park. The site originally was the only municipal park available to blacks, who pooled their money in 1872 to buy the property to celebrate their freedom.

The renaming to Emancipation Avenue will coincide with marking the redevelopment of Emancipation Park, which is undergoing $33 million in renovations. Ceremonies will be part of Juneteenth.

On June 19, 1865, federal troops arrived in Galveston to declare Texas slaves free. It was more than two years after President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation.

---------------------

http://www.last.fm/user/dagu85

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 04:22 PM

9. "Robert E Lee anything automatically becomes Bruce Lee"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 10:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I’d like to know the steps too..."
In response to Reply # 0

I think it’s going to create war because white folks aren’t going to let you tear their shit down without a fight. It’s about to get ugly...

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Fri Jun-12-20 02:28 PM

14. "Fuck those people... they aren’t going to do anything"
In response to Reply # 10

We have to stop caring about people who ain’t shit.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Fri Jun-12-20 07:25 AM

11. "It's expensive but disruptive for a shorter time than you might think "
In response to Reply # 0

I currently live in South Africa and a lot of cities, areas, roads, land marks are continuously being stripped of their apartheid era names.

What they do with road signs for example is put up new ones with the new name on top and the old one beneath but struck out. They keep that in place for a specific period of time and then one day get rid of the old one completely.

I mean not that long ago they changed the name of the administrative capital of the country from Pretoria to Tshwane.

Before that they changed a bunch of province names to more indigenous names.

It's been an ongoing process since 1994.

If South Africa can do it I can't see why a country with the resources of the US can't.

imperial
Member since May 30th 2003
3792 posts
Sat Jun-13-20 08:36 AM

18. "RE: It's expensive but disruptive for a shorter time than you might thin..."
In response to Reply # 11

Came here to say this:

>I mean not that long ago they changed the name of the
>administrative capital of the country from Pretoria to
>Tshwane.

Lol I once got into it with this old Afrikaner man who refused to call it Stanza Bopape and he kept saying you mean Church St. I was like no Stanza Bopape, Whats funny is he was asking me for directions all the while trying to correct me.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Jun-12-20 12:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "See This Is Why I Feel People's Energy Is Being Used Wrong"
In response to Reply # 0

Why go through all that trouble to want to rename their buildings and streets, when those tax dollars should be used better & wisely, I don't give a fuck if it was a named after a confederate soldier/general, or some racist person, shit, our money is racist on it's own, but I'm not going to refuse using U.S. money.

Black people really need to focus and come up with real agendas that will be more effective in a short term & long term, but will use their city's budget wisely where it doesn't start another long battle between the haves & the have-nots.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Fri Jun-12-20 02:18 PM

13. "Yeah all this placating shit is whatever (plenty of money for it tho, "
In response to Reply # 12

Look at what’s spent of the military daily). These names should be changed but that’s not going to prevent another Black person being murdered by police or a racist vigilante. I see why ppl are scoffing at companies rolling out BLM sections like Netflix and amazon prime and congress wearing kinte cloth. A lot of fluff.

What’s gonna hold these racist cops accountable so that even if deep in their heart they want to murder and abuse Black bodies and psyches, they have to have so much fear of the consequences they don’t even come close to hurting another person in the course of their “duties”

We need nation wide standards for policing, Any and all legal protections for for police use of deadly force and abuse need to be removed. No knock warrants banned nationwide, Choke holds banned nationwide. Body cameras that are on at all times and can’t be turned off by the wearers and transmitted to third party community reviewers

It’s great to hear the world saying Black lives matter but what’s gonna actual protect Black lives

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Fri Jun-12-20 02:30 PM

15. "We have the money.. change all that shit."
In response to Reply # 13

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri Jun-12-20 03:01 PM

17. "we can do it all"
In response to Reply # 12

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-12-20 02:58 PM

16. "the same way when they close entire bases"
In response to Reply # 0

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Sat Jun-13-20 04:02 PM

20. "This is the same argument people/businesses make when cities"
In response to Reply # 0

Try to rename streets after MLK.

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Sat Jun-13-20 04:55 PM

21. "Let me be clear : I want it to happen"
In response to Reply # 20
Sat Jun-13-20 04:55 PM by handle

>Try to rename streets after MLK.

I'm not talking bout anything other than what steps have to be taken to do it. I say we do it.

Like how would it actually work to rename cities and counties? How would the computers deal with it, how the taxes work, how laws are effected, etc.

(San Diego has Market St - which was renamed MLK Way for a year - then 60% of San Diego voted to change it back.)

Maybe I need t post this on a city planning board - but I really don't understand how big an undertaking it could be for a CITY or a COUNTY. I get streets.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Sat Jun-13-20 07:12 PM

22. "I’m from San Diego born, raised and currently still living here"
In response to Reply # 21
Sat Jun-13-20 07:13 PM by calij81

I remember the renaming of Market to MLK and back to Market.

I work for a tribal nation within San Diego county and I worked on a project to readdress the entire nation. The nation consist of 3,200 acres, 450 residents, government complex, fire station, gaming enterprise, and a few other enterprises.

This included issuing all new address numbers to every resident, in some cases we issued new street names, and we named previously unnamed streets. It was fairly easy for us to do because we are our own government so internally it was easy. We did have to notify certain government agencies, namely the BIA since some of the roads we renamed are under BIA “management”. The majority of the work came in notifying SDGE, post office, 911 dispatch, North Com dispatch (they dispatch our tribal fire department for calls), and we also worked with Google/Apple maps to get the updated street names and addresses into their database.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13388507 Previous topic | Next topic