Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13388367

Subject: "Things/people that should get a pass on their prior behavior" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Jun-10-20 03:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Things/people that should get a pass on their prior behavior"

Mainly thinking about TV show and movie related, but I guess other stuff can apply

Robert Downey Jr for being in blackface in Tropic Thunder. I saw they tried to come for him about a month ago, but it seems like it fizzled out once people realized they never actually saw the movie.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. They always have racial jokes. Hell they had a whole episode where Mac was in blackface. But the context is that they are terrible people, so it works.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
LOL
Jun 10th 2020
Hey everybody....look...RJCC is here!!!
Jun 10th 2020
Jun 10th 2020
Man, I think the only real test is, is it still funny?
Jun 10th 2020
Yeah. I was wondering why these always get a pass. Context and comedy
Jun 10th 2020
I see why you would go to the WH
Jun 10th 2020
literally nobody thinking about these mofos right now lol
Jun 10th 2020
Soul Man could never be made today 😅
Jun 11th 2020

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Jun-10-20 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Wed Jun-10-20 04:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Hey everybody....look...RJCC is here!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Jun-10-20 04:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "..."
In response to Reply # 2

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49416 posts
Wed Jun-10-20 05:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Man, I think the only real test is, is it still funny?"
In response to Reply # 0

At that is the main reason why RDJ's performance gets a pass. The idea it gets a pass because it is satire just seems a bit disingenuous.

I also have always argued that funny people have this intangible quality about them I will call "good will" and what you can get away saying depends a lot on how much good will you have.

People saying the same thing can have totally different reaction based on how much good will they have. That is, how much they like you and gauging your intentions.

If I think you are down and cool, you can make jokes that coming from another person would be offensive.

Dave Chappelle said shit in his last few standups that would sink a lesser comedian. He gets away with it because he has good will and people don't think he is saying the jokes maliciously.

Louis CK had a lot of good will that has since evaporated so even pass stuff he said that got a pass looks terrible now.

Its a concept I've seen play out on personal relationships. My boy use to stay hating on me because I could get away saying things to girls that he never could say. I would explain to him the difference is I am cool with them and they all think you are an a-hole.

SNL even did a skit about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAAJYpg9xWE#action=share

This dude wrote an angry take on this SNL video alone because I don't think he understands the concept of Good Will.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40506179/everything-wrong-with-snls-sexual-harassment-charlie-sketch

Anyway, as time passes and people have less of a relationship with the funny person, less good will they have for that person and the less likely they will give a pass. The internet is constantly finding some old clip and is appalled that we all gave it a pass at the time. go figure.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Wed Jun-10-20 06:24 PM

7. "Yeah. I was wondering why these always get a pass. Context and comedy"
In response to Reply # 4

Whenever there's a wave of people getting blasted, I wait for IASIP to get called out but they never get put on the hot seat.

Context: they are problematic characters and they make it a point to acknowledge the characters are doing terrible things.

Comedy: they don't strike out with the humor

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79599 posts
Wed Jun-10-20 05:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I see why you would go to the WH"
In response to Reply # 0

This post is ass juice b

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Wed Jun-10-20 06:05 PM

6. "literally nobody thinking about these mofos right now lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Even if people *did* care about this (they dont), these wealthy white men will be just fine. I promise.

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Thu Jun-11-20 12:16 PM

8. "Soul Man could never be made today 😅"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/z2zMrjBLwn8

Lobby General Discussion topic #13388367 Previous topic | Next topic