Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13384397

Subject: "okfit: how you coming along?" Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Mon May-18-20 09:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"okfit: how you coming along?"

I've lost 10lbs recently. did a no sugar ting and the weight dropped. trying to keep it off. so far so good.

also running more consistently since pandemic. I changed my running style to be more efficient. that along with carrying less weight has really ramped up my running.been breaking personal best for the last 3 weeks.

other runners, how much leg work are you doing for strength?

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Quarantine 15 is real
May 18th 2020
this would've got me too.
May 18th 2020
      i wish i liked running
May 19th 2020
I think I'm cool
May 18th 2020
that's good stuff.
May 18th 2020
congrats on -10lbs
May 18th 2020
thanks mayne.
May 18th 2020
I've been sick for two months
May 18th 2020
had no idea that medication would
May 18th 2020
take care
May 18th 2020
Sucks
May 18th 2020
working from home sux for me.
May 18th 2020
      Thanks
May 18th 2020
so so at best...
May 18th 2020
it took me a while to get used to being at the house
May 18th 2020
shittay.
May 19th 2020
too easy to get stuck at the desk.
May 19th 2020
Good. Getting stronger, staying flexible
May 19th 2020
that's that good work
May 19th 2020
Runner here. Spent the past two months in recovery mode
May 19th 2020
I'm doing 3 days a week at most for running.
May 19th 2020
      Yeah, 5 days would be only if I start doing short speed work between
May 19th 2020
      I've heard HRV
May 19th 2020
           are heart rate monitors and pulse oximeters related to what
May 20th 2020
                RE: are heart rate monitors and pulse oximeters related to what
May 20th 2020
that quitting sugar does wonders
May 19th 2020
yeah, it pretty much just fell off.
May 19th 2020
I actually ran a time trial to get my HS track team going
May 19th 2020
thanks for this...
May 19th 2020
lol @ the latter.
May 19th 2020
Yeah, imagining a sprint start is tough
May 20th 2020
this is awesome.
May 19th 2020
      If you hung with 14 year olds, just go with that
May 20th 2020
           you're right!
May 20th 2020
                RE: you're right!
May 21st 2020
                     yeah....
May 21st 2020
i dont have kids and kept wondering where did i get this fupa, until
May 19th 2020
its really amazing to see the body
May 19th 2020
goodness...I envy you...
May 19th 2020
ok, I give up.... what's a fupa?
May 19th 2020
      at pper elvic rea
May 19th 2020
      front upper pussy area or
May 19th 2020
      same as bootydo
May 19th 2020
Still waiting for my Schwinn Airdyne AD7
May 19th 2020
I've never been able to front squat.
May 19th 2020
play around with hand positioning and stretch your whole arms
May 19th 2020
      got it. thanks.
May 20th 2020
i love my airdyne ad2. one of the best purchases i've ever made
May 20th 2020
      my gym has an assault bike and i loved it
May 21st 2020
Been biking to work
May 19th 2020
Am ... am I a runner now?
May 19th 2020
you're killing it.
May 20th 2020
      Much appreciated!
May 20th 2020
I REALLY miss the gym. But can't see myself going back any
May 21st 2020
Amazing!
May 21st 2020

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Mon May-18-20 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Quarantine 15 is real"
In response to Reply # 0

cooking a lot more since i moved
plus eating out of general boredom at times

the weight looks great but man i am not looking forward to hitting the soccer field again 15 lbs (so far lol) above my normal playing weight.

<--- Big Baller World Order

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Mon May-18-20 10:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "this would've got me too."
In response to Reply # 1

just happened to do this lent challenge with a co-worker. started right before lock downs.

so now I'm trying to avoid putting it back on. the running has helped.

BrooklynWHAT
85073 posts
Tue May-19-20 07:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "i wish i liked running"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue May-19-20 07:29 AM by BrooklynWHAT

maybe i just havent tried the right shoe but i've had a couple models of Nikes, Hokas, On, New Balance and i just havent found the right solution yet.

also i know my striking is pure shit. it usually surprises folks that my primary sport was soccer growing up because i pound like a running back.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon May-18-20 09:38 AM

2. "I think I'm cool"
In response to Reply # 0

I been walking 2 miles a day every day for the last week and a half; Every couple of days I'll work in curls and pushups. I'm just trying to stay in some kinda shape.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Mon May-18-20 10:16 AM

3. "that's good stuff. "
In response to Reply # 2

I need to do more with weights. got pretty much everything I need, but really only use dumb bells.

I rotate. dumb bells on non-running days.

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Mon May-18-20 10:23 AM

5. "congrats on -10lbs"
In response to Reply # 0

in the midst of 31 day 10000 KB swing challenge...

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Mon May-18-20 10:27 AM

6. "thanks mayne."
In response to Reply # 5

kb challenge sounds brutal, lol. good luck with that.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon May-18-20 10:45 AM

7. "I've been sick for two months"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it was a small gas leak in the house. Sometime in February they came and did our floors that they messed up. I'm the one that had to reinstall the appliances and that included the stove. Last week I was reading up on something about indoor air pollution and I moved the stove to check to see if it was sealed. I was able to turn the nozzle about 1-2 degrees, which isn't significant, but it's more than 0.

So my fitness story goes like this as a result. We quarantine in mid march so then I'm home all day every day. I start to feel sick because I'm indoors and it's raining. I have bad asthma for two weeks and the only thing that helps it is that I get on my trainer bike on zwift. As my lungs start to hurt during the day more and my heart and lungs at night I get worried about COVID. But there's no tests. So I figure I'm at least going to stay in shape. So I ride about 30min to an hour hard daily, in a small room with shit for ventilation ... just to force the lungs to take full breaths.

This doesn't work but I lose weight. I get a doctor digitally they prescribe a z pack and some prednisone. I shoot up 5 lbs over 5 days. And I don't feel better.

Over the course of the past two months it's been a mix of seeing different doctors with multiple tests to find out what's wrong with me physically as my blood pressure and heart rate randomly drop during the day and night. While feeling physically in some of the best shape of my life.

So ... a push?

I can exercise with the best of them right now. But physically I'm still fucked up from being in a poorly circulated house and room (both exercise and office) all day every day for two months. But I'm only up 3 lbs from where I was at before. And I recently got a bike that I can ride outdoors. So I'm going to try to incorporate that daily.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Mon May-18-20 01:29 PM

10. "had no idea that medication would"
In response to Reply # 7

cause weight gain like that. hopefully you don't need that one as you're getting things figured out.

you're doing good to keep on the fitness tip while dealing with a number of obstacles. glad you got that leak taken care of.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon May-18-20 04:40 PM

13. "take care"
In response to Reply # 7

tryna exercise w/no ventilation and lung issues gotta be tough. hang in there.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Mon May-18-20 10:48 AM

8. "Sucks"
In response to Reply # 0

I work in public health, so I'm busier now than I have ever been. I am working from home, and often times log on the computer first thing in the morning, and may not log off until early evening, save for the occasional bathroom break, or to grab something to eat.

I am trying to maintain a decent diet. I was doing keto, but that fell by the wayside with everybody home, and dining together. So now, I'm just trying to focus on portion control and eating clean.

But all this sitting, and not doing anything physical is doing a number on me. I can feel that I'm losing strength, and I stay feeling tired and lethargic.

Fitness wise, I have discovered that I am a gym dude. I can not get motivated to work out at the crib. I have everything I need to workout at home; kettle bells, jump rope, battle rope...etc. I live less than a mile or two from two schools with tracks, and one with a cross country running trail.

Last week I got fed up and decided to take my son to the track, so we could do some running and maybe a few calisthenics. I tried to go easy, but still woke up the next morning crazy sore and stiff.

The Y says it's going to open June 1, with a bunch of precautions. I will be sitting in the parking lot when it does.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Mon May-18-20 01:36 PM

11. "working from home sux for me."
In response to Reply # 8

I'm hoping it gets better since school's out. my office is the dining room. my son was in here with me, but that's over now.

I'm really a gym dude too. hated having to cancel my membership at the office gym because of work. this was last year tho. I've had to adapt. honestly, covid has help me step my run game way up. I can run on lunch now. since my sched isn't too hectic.

hopefully, your sched will allow some breathing room. and def start getting up from the desk more. I hate being stuck at a desk for too long.

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Mon May-18-20 09:57 PM

14. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 11

I really need to set some type of Outlook reminder, or alarm on my phone, to go off every hour or so and make myself get up and move around.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon May-18-20 12:41 PM

9. "so so at best..."
In response to Reply # 0

Went on a cruise in December...I was 218 with probably high single-digit body fat. Currently...I'm 232, noticeably smoother with a small gut. I copped some kettlebells and had a cool little routine for them. I have a Bowflex M3 (https://www.bowflex.com/max-trainer/m3/100358.html) and I copped a new gravel bike about three weeks ago (feels like it's rained literally every day since it got delivered). In theory, seems easy just to walk downstairs and get busy, but I've been come to the conclusion that I'm the type of person that just needs to get in my car and drive to the gym. My effort has been super half-assed, in my basement. My gym opened up, Friday and I just don't see me rockin there, for a minute. The time I normally go is Zero dark thirty, so maybe there would be very few people there. I dunno. Just need to get my big ass on this bike, first and foremost. My eating admittedly, too, has been big SHIT. I haven't done IF since December. I start fucking with soda again...after having completely eliminated it from my life. Being quarantined, it's so easy to order delivery or curbside pickup. One bright spot for me is that I'm a Mesomorph...so I can put on or take off 10, 15 pounds with relatively little effort. We'll see.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Mon May-18-20 01:41 PM

12. "it took me a while to get used to being at the house"
In response to Reply # 9

for working out. finally figured it out. after spending money buying equipment that barely gets used, decided to just focus on dumb bells and running. limiting my activities helped me get better at doing it from the house.

my eating has gotten worse lately. hell, I just had m&ms before responding to you lol. and gonna have some cake later since its my son's bday. I gotta get back to limiting the sugar before I get my pounds back.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue May-19-20 01:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "shittay."
In response to Reply # 0

i work out at home so i have no excuse.

but i just been stuck at my computer consuming content all day and ordering delivery.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue May-19-20 10:30 AM

21. "too easy to get stuck at the desk."
In response to Reply # 15

that's one of the main reasons I started doing stuff during lunch. work will be there when I get back.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Tue May-19-20 06:10 AM

16. "Good. Getting stronger, staying flexible"
In response to Reply # 0

Gonna start jogging again later this week.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue May-19-20 10:31 AM

22. "that's that good work"
In response to Reply # 16

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue May-19-20 07:30 AM

18. "Runner here. Spent the past two months in recovery mode "
In response to Reply # 0

for the most part. Trained hard over the fall and winter for two 10-mile races that were supposed to happen in April but got cancelled of course....

So recovery mode has just been tapering off of running frequency, distances and speed. Timing was good for this I guess since I haven't really had TIME to do anything more...but I can tell a difference in my energy levels..they're lower.

I'm starting to get back into training mode again since two weeks ago though. Ramping up distance slowly and will ramp up frequency in the next couple of weeks (going from 2 runs/week to maybe 4 or 5). I don't necessarily want to go all out because that's when injuries happen.

I've been thinking about incorporating some weight training, but honestly just can't figure out a way to work it into my schedule. These kids get up by 8am and don't go to sleep until 10pm lately... and they're at an age where they just seem to crave attention and engagement for EVERY.WAKING.MOMENT.OF.THE.FCKING.DAY!
It's all I can do to get a few 45min -60min. runs in every week....along with other general household upkeep AND this telework & work bullshit.... (50/50 for me...in the office in the mornings, & teleworking in the afternoons)

I'm eyeing this app called Freeletics though...there's a yearly membership...but it's supposed to be a good app for weight training....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue May-19-20 10:40 AM

24. "I'm doing 3 days a week at most for running."
In response to Reply # 18

found that running more than that kills my energy for the next run. so I do every other day instead. everything has gotten better.

also changed my form using POSE, https://youtu.be/shwi2MfxSok. this has been a game changer for me. instead of focusing on stride, this gives me other stuff to work on. been more efficient and setting PBRs for the past 3 weeks.

I feel you on having time. that's why I use barbarian body vids. they're short. normally 5-7 minutes. let's me decide how many rounds I can handle in the moment. all dumb bells or body weight. this isn't specific to running and I've been doing upper body stuff mainly so as not to tire my legs. might need to change my thinking on that.

is that app specifically for runners looking to weight train?

I decided I'm not paying for any subscriptions for workout stuff. youtube has everything. just a matter of will power to get it done.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue May-19-20 11:16 AM

30. "Yeah, 5 days would be only if I start doing short speed work between"
In response to Reply # 24

But when I start getting above the 6 mile mark I usually cap it at 3 days/ week.

>found that running more than that kills my energy for the
>next run. so I do every other day instead. everything has
>gotten better.

Yeah, if I start sensing that I don't have the energy, I just put the runs on pause for 2-3 days so I can come back stronger. I usually see a marked improvement on my splits too.

>also changed my form using POSE, https://youtu.be/shwi2MfxSok.
>this has been a game changer for me. instead of focusing on
>stride, this gives me other stuff to work on. been more
>efficient and setting PBRs for the past 3 weeks.

Pacing rather than form & stride has always been my weak point. I think all those years of track in middle and high school gave me a great base on form fortunately...but because those years I was a sprinter it didn't develop a great pacing mindset. I'm definitely seeing improvements over the past year though....which is good for my age range.

>I feel you on having time. that's why I use barbarian body
>vids. they're short. normally 5-7 minutes. let's me decide how
>many rounds I can handle in the moment. all dumb bells or body
>weight. this isn't specific to running and I've been doing
>upper body stuff mainly so as not to tire my legs. might need
>to change my thinking on that.
>
>is that app specifically for runners looking to weight train?

A coworker put me on to the app. I think the biggest draw for me is that the programs are supposed to be tailored specifically for you and your goals and you can tailor it to match your schedule and equipment availability. He's raving about his results after using it for 7 weeks. They also have programs that don't require any equipment.

My wife does a lot of the YouTube vids and swears by them. I just haven't found one that motivates me enough.
>
>I decided I'm not paying for any subscriptions for workout
>stuff. youtube has everything. just a matter of will power to
>get it done.

I really need to give YouTube another chance...you're right about it being crazy to PAY for a subscription with all these free vids...

fif
Member since Feb 23rd 2004
1998 posts
Tue May-19-20 01:15 PM

35. "I've heard HRV"
In response to Reply # 24

(heart rate variability)
Is a good marker of how recovered your body is. If it's in a good zone when you wake up, you can go out and pound it. If it's off target, scale back.

Most devices capable of measuring it are still pretty expensive afaik but I'd like to try one eventually

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Wed May-20-20 07:25 AM

42. "are heart rate monitors and pulse oximeters related to what"
In response to Reply # 35

you're talking about?

fif
1998 posts
Wed May-20-20 10:17 AM

47. "RE: are heart rate monitors and pulse oximeters related to what"
In response to Reply # 42

heart rate variability is the measure of variation in time btwn heartbeats. Apparently greater variation in the time between beats is a sign of overall health, cardio health, a body fully recovered, etc.

Things like stress, exhaustion, poor fitness cause low HRV. It fluctuates enough from day to day that a lot of people use it as an indicator of how 'stressed' or recovered they are and plan their day's workouts around it.

My understanding is most cheap heart rate monitors aren't precise enough to provide accurate HRV numbers but I may be mistaken.

Here's a Harvard primer on HRV: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/heart-rate-variability-new-way-track-well-2017112212789

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Tue May-19-20 08:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "that quitting sugar does wonders"
In response to Reply # 0

The weight just drops with little effort..add minimal to basic exercise to it and youre good as fuck.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue May-19-20 10:45 AM

26. "yeah, it pretty much just fell off."
In response to Reply # 19

I didn't even get on scale til I have couple of folks tell my face looked slimmer.

been slacking since lent was over. I need get back on it and keep the sugar intake low.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue May-19-20 10:15 AM

20. "I actually ran a time trial to get my HS track team going"
In response to Reply # 0

The site that hosts most of our meet results, athletic.net is trying to gin up interest in Virtual Meets this spring. Basically, you go find an empty track or a stretch of path and record a race. You can post a video of the whole thing or a screenshot from mapmyrun or whatever.

Anyhow, it's silly but our team was looking to have one of our better seasons in awhile so having stuff canceled - while certainly not on even the longest list of concerns right now - was kind of sad. So, we pitched the kids on giving this a try. Part of the convincing process was trying it out ourselves.

I wasn't a great runner myself. Call it "a useful-to-good relay leg from 200-800m on mediocre D3 team" and I haven't raced anything in almost twenty years since I graduated. Choosing an event was difficult, as racing at full effort now would almost certainly explode both my hamstrings and my back, but I'm also about forty pounds above my racing weight so distance stuff is kind of out of the question.

Settled on 200m and hoped that I could run safely under 40 seconds without:

-visually appearing to work very hard
-hurting myself

The answer was a nice, safe 80% effort and a 36.8h time. The video is kind of gruesome, though. While I definitely met the first objective of not looking like I was really fighting out there, you can see me at two separate times in the race trying to physically remember what the proper form for a hard 200m race was. At about 45-55m you can see my upper half form into an awkward board-straight back. My knees look like I was trying to achieve an exaggerated high all the way around, though that one may be a bit of an illusion. Even when I was young, I ran with pretty high knees - but the difference is that I was turning over quickly so it didn't *look* like I was prancing.

Anyhow, I didn't hurt myself. The time was pretty wretched, but I think I could take a decent shot at running under :30 again if I was willing to risk a bit more, physically.

Also, we got 26 kids to participate. I am taking credit.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue May-19-20 10:42 AM

25. "thanks for this..."
In response to Reply # 20

you write comedy as well as everything else, lol. Good on you for getting out there for the reason you did, though...that's pretty cool. I shudder to to think what would happen if I tried to run 200m for time. Pretty sure I would run so fast at the start, that I would : a) quickly blow one or both hamstrings
b) cook myself before I figure out a pace
c) loose my timing and fall (it's very hard to run top speed for an extended time)
Several years ago, I was at a high school track. This was back when I thought I was really serious about running intervals for cardio. I sprint the straight and jog the turns. I had stopped for a break and there was a guy on the other side of the track. He and I were the only two people there. He started where you would start for the 100m. He even got down and mocked coming out of blocks. He took off...and was running (at least appeared to be) very fast. Out of nowhere, his entire form came apart and he fell to the ground, chest-first in an exaggerated flying pose. I felt so bad. I didn't know whether to run over there and help him, or act like I didn't see it. I chose the latter.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue May-19-20 11:46 AM

31. "lol @ the latter."
In response to Reply # 25

I busted my ass on a track a few years ago. track was basically empty. me and my dog and a mother/daughter with their dog.

I'm doing a 400 with my dog attached to me. as I'd done many times before. round that first 100 and I'm getting it! have to slow down because my dog doesn't like other dogs and I want to be sure he's cool. so I'm looking down at him as we pass the other dog.

no issues! phew. we're well past that dog. I lift my head to get back into my run. next thing I know is I'm laying on the track. hurting. don't even remember hitting the gravel. prolly did that extended superman pose you mentioned.

so apparently when I looked up, my dog decided it was time to go see that other dog. so he runs in my path and I trip over him.

I realized I'm on the ground and the first instinct is to get up. sat myself up. pain seemed to come from everywhere. I laid back down. lol. my whole left side is jacked. abrasions everywhere. knee, head, back of shoulder. broken collar bone. skin on hands peeled back and dirt all inside. pretty sure I was concussed too.

had to walk across the field to my car, with the dog. longest walk ever. had to drive myself home so my wife could fuss as me for not having my phone. I normally left it home because I wanted to be untethered. the track is less than 5 minutes away from my house.

one of the ladies helped me with some bandages. she was a nurse. she couldn't do much, but tell me I need to get to emergency for my shoulder.

hopefully, I'm not on video somewhere taking a gravel dive.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed May-20-20 08:00 AM

45. "Yeah, imagining a sprint start is tough"
In response to Reply # 25

>Pretty sure I would
>run so fast at the start, that I would : a) quickly blow one
>or both hamstrings
>b) cook myself before I figure out a pace
>c) loose my timing and fall (it's very hard to run top speed
>for an extended time)

I used to have actual race plans, now I do exactly what you're describing. You can account for one or two of these things, but accounting for all of them *and* running fast at my age is pretty much impossible. I settled for a very slow first 20-30m (a), then tried to focus on achieving a form and cadence I wanted (b) rather than a speed I wanted because of (c). And (c) stayed a factor anyhow. You can see in the video that I actually check my watch around 100m because I had no frame of reference for how fast I had already gone and whether that effort could be continued for the rest of the race.

My biggest takeaway is that - and I'm aware that this sounds like bullshit but worrying about destroying my body with a hard start was a serious concern - I could have run 2-3 full seconds faster if I were permitted a jogging start.

>Several years ago, I was at a high school track. This was
>back when I thought I was really serious about running
>intervals for cardio. I sprint the straight and jog the
>turns. I had stopped for a break and there was a guy on the
>other side of the track. He and I were the only two people
>there. He started where you would start for the 100m. He
>even got down and mocked coming out of blocks. He took
>off...and was running (at least appeared to be) very fast.
>Out of nowhere, his entire form came apart and he fell to the
>ground, chest-first in an exaggerated flying pose. I felt so
>bad. I didn't know whether to run over there and help him, or
>act like I didn't see it. I chose the latter.

Oh nooooooooooooooooo. I think you chose correctly. I'm putting myself in his shoes right now and unless I need urgent medical attention, I am DEEPLY grateful for any plausibility you can lend to the idea that nobody saw.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue May-19-20 10:54 AM

27. "this is awesome."
In response to Reply # 20

and yes, take credit lol

I was doing some sprints when my son was doing track. of course, that got cancelled too. I wasn't timing tho. I was running on the field as they practiced, goal to goal. so not even a real distance.

last time I ran a 200 seriously, I beat most of the 14 yr old boys. maybe they're slow? lol.

mind you I never ran track for real. I'm actually learning because my kids run. so I'm picking up stuff as I'm getting some exercise in. since I'm at the track while they practice, I might as well get something done too.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed May-20-20 08:07 AM

46. "If you hung with 14 year olds, just go with that"
In response to Reply # 27

>last time I ran a 200 seriously, I beat most of the 14 yr old
>boys. maybe they're slow? lol.

If they're even moderately athletic, I'd consider this a monumental victory on your part. Even more so if you could walk the next day, because that was the first big obstacle for me. I started coaching cross country when I was 33 and actually got into decent shape for the job, the reasoning being that I didn't have any idea how to coach so I could at least run with them and help that way. Went okay for a season, pretty much the last actual fast stuff I really did (though no racing) but then the next one I found that I could still jump into a workout and mix it up with the kids, but if I did then that was all for me for the week. Next two or three days were hobbling around the house.

>mind you I never ran track for real. I'm actually learning
>because my kids run. so I'm picking up stuff as I'm getting
>some exercise in. since I'm at the track while they practice,
>I might as well get something done too.

May as well indeed. I love it when parents get some work in during our practices. The hardest part of our season is convincing them to run during the off-seasons, so when parents run also that's usually some of the most explicit hope that we get that the kid will get out once and awhile in the summer.

Which is actually starting again. I've got a team ZOOM meeting today to get the kids prepared for cross country in the fall. I'm hoping that a few of them realize that running is one of the few normal-ish things they're allowed to do right now, so maybe a few of them will seize the opportunity and hit the roads for some real mileage this summer.

--Walleye's Dad

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Wed May-20-20 10:21 PM

50. "you're right!"
In response to Reply # 46

>If they're even moderately athletic, I'd consider this a
>monumental victory on your part. Even more so if you could
>walk the next day, because that was the first big obstacle for
>me. I started coaching cross country when I was 33 and
>actually got into decent shape for the job, the reasoning
>being that I didn't have any idea how to coach so I could at
>least run with them and help that way. Went okay for a season,
>pretty much the last actual fast stuff I really did (though no
>racing) but then the next one I found that I could still jump
>into a workout and mix it up with the kids, but if I did then
>that was all for me for the week. Next two or three days were
>hobbling around the house.

I was pretty happy with myself. lol. I've been fortunate to never pulled a hammy. especially since I pretty much never stretch. when I run after a stretching, I feel more fatigued.

that's really good that you were able to do that, even with the soreness after. cross country seems brutal to me. aren't all the races 5k? would you recommend cross country for those that run track?
>
>May as well indeed. I love it when parents get some work in
>during our practices. The hardest part of our season is
>convincing them to run during the off-seasons, so when parents
>run also that's usually some of the most explicit hope that we
>get that the kid will get out once and awhile in the summer.

the practices can get real boring if I'm just waiting and watching. make the time go by faster once I'm doing my own thing. its sometimes cool to talk with the other parents, but don't want to do that every time.

I wish I could get mine do practice more with me during off times. I keep telling them how much better they'll be when the season hits if they get a head start. I tend to get up and go hella early. so they're like nah.

>
>Which is actually starting again. I've got a team ZOOM meeting
>today to get the kids prepared for cross country in the fall.
>I'm hoping that a few of them realize that running is one of
>the few normal-ish things they're allowed to do right now, so
>maybe a few of them will seize the opportunity and hit the
>roads for some real mileage this summer.

yup, one of the few things to cling on to. my son will be doing more zooms with his team. that should be helpful. hoping they ramp those up since school is out. he's got to find himself. figure out which races he likes and good at. my daughter actually has pretty decent speed, but her high school coach is terrible. barley communicates and makes everyone run 400s even when injured. I hoping she's at a new school next year. this coach has basically killed 2 seasons for her. I feel bad about it. that could be her way into college.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu May-21-20 09:17 AM

51. "RE: you're right!"
In response to Reply # 50

>I was pretty happy with myself. lol. I've been fortunate to
>never pulled a hammy. especially since I pretty much never
>stretch. when I run after a stretching, I feel more fatigued.

I don't really stretch much any more either. The current stretching consensus seems to be dynamic stretching prior to a run and some light static stretching afterwards. But I'm sore and fatigued no matter what I do, so it's not like I follow that personally.

>cross country seems brutal to me. aren't
>all the races 5k? would you recommend cross country for those
>that run track?

Kids younger than high school run some shorter cross country distances, but basically yeah - every race at HS is going to be 5K(ish). I try to recommend cross country to the kids who are starting to get serious about track, but the good-ness of the idea really varies according to what event the kids are good at or interested in. A lot of sprint coaches get antsy about their runners doing anything long and slow, the idea basically being that the upside of additional endurance isn't worth the wear and tear on the body, and that you can get up-to-400m strong without running cross country.

I don't entirely agree with that, but mostly because it's pretty wide brush. True 100/200m types can successfully move up to 400m without the mileage of cross country, and a number of those might find a fall season running 5000m races leaves them a bit stiff and rickety when November and December comes around. Track doesn't have the same infrastructure for building hype around highschool talent as other sports, but they're definitely trying - and being able to run a hot time in December is now an expectation for a lot of high school kids.

All that said, my view is that most kids would profit from moving up at least one or two events, and if they continue onto college that's what's going to happen in a lot of cases. Most HS programs tend to stream kids to 400m and below or 800m at above, and that means the boundary of "sprint" for the former group and "distance" for the latter group doesn't get breached as often as it should. More 200/400 runners should seriously try the 800. More 400/800 runners* should seriously try the mile, etc. Cross country is a pretty decent, low-pressure way to find out if that kind of move is right for a young runner.

*I should add here though that one of the most interesting effects of the explosion of club track programs the last half-decade or so is that kids are trying a pretty wide diversity of events at a pretty young age. So the dynamic I'm complaining about may be changing.

>the practices can get real boring if I'm just waiting and
>watching. make the time go by faster once I'm doing my own
>thing. its sometimes cool to talk with the other parents, but
>don't want to do that every time.

Yeah dude. You're honestly a hero for this. We have parents come by and watch once and awhile and I'm *thrilled* that they're there because this isn't the sexiest sport in terms of highschool social capital, so if the parents are into it then the kids have a shot of being into it. But when they're around I can't help but think, "who would want to watch this?"

The answer appears to be: good parents who are helping make my job easier.

>I wish I could get mine do practice more with me during off
>times. I keep telling them how much better they'll be when the
>season hits if they get a head start. I tend to get up and go
>hella early. so they're like nah.

You are entirely correct. My team has a hellaciously terrible time running fast early in the season. I mostly coach distance runners and I have a pretty young bunch right now, so I more or less gave up the ghost on running fast times, early. But even our sprinters are terrible at it. No matter how good our team ends up, we are reliably garbage for the first 2-3 months.

But I see these kids from other programs who are ready to go and throw out some eyebrow-raising performances early, and it's like they get streamed into a whole separate set of runners. They get higher seeds in better meets, and the fast times just kind of unfold from there. The risk is that I've also seen some programs that are just red-lining their kids from December through Nationals in June, and it's about 50/50 whether those kids make it through the season uninjured. There is a nationally notable (set the highschool 4x400m and 4x200m national records last winter during indoor) sprint program in our conference, and they are... undeniably better than us. But they've often had to shut down their best runners because the wear and tear adds up.

That's a really extreme example though. You're absolutely right about getting a head start.

>yup, one of the few things to cling on to. my son will be
>doing more zooms with his team. that should be helpful. hoping
>they ramp those up since school is out. he's got to find
>himself. figure out which races he likes and good at. my
>daughter actually has pretty decent speed, but her high school
>coach is terrible. barley communicates and makes everyone run
>400s even when injured. I hoping she's at a new school next
>year. this coach has basically killed 2 seasons for her. I
>feel bad about it. that could be her way into college.

Ugh. That last part is frustrating to hear. Sorry about that. I'm a mixed bag as a coach, but the stuff that you're dealing with is the easiest stuff to get right and it sucks when coaches don't. Just talk to kids and parents about what events you think are best for their kid individually and the team as a whole, and be conservative about how you push kids to deal with discomfort/pain/injury.

Girls track is definitely a fruitful avenue for college. There's not a ton of money in the sport, so scholarships are scarce - but they're way more common for girls than boys, and because girls programs aren't as deep as boys programs - I'm always a bit surprised and impressed when one or another local girl that I'd characterize as "pretty good" rather than "fall over and die fast as hell" ends up going to run at a major program. Seems there are just ... fewer fast girls, so a fast girl is going to get more NCAA attention.

Jesus, this really got me going talking about track. How old are your kids? And what events are they interested in now?

--Walleye's Dad

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Thu May-21-20 04:13 PM

53. "yeah...."
In response to Reply # 51

>I don't really stretch much any more either. The current
>stretching consensus seems to be dynamic stretching prior to a
>run and some light static stretching afterwards. But I'm sore
>and fatigued no matter what I do, so it's not like I follow
>that personally.

it becomes too much to stretch lol. I just hope it doesn't bite my in the butt later.
>
>Kids younger than high school run some shorter cross country
>distances, but basically yeah - every race at HS is going to
>be 5K(ish). I try to recommend cross country to the kids who
>are starting to get serious about track, but the good-ness of
>the idea really varies according to what event the kids are
>good at or interested in. A lot of sprint coaches get antsy
>about their runners doing anything long and slow, the idea
>basically being that the upside of additional endurance isn't
>worth the wear and tear on the body, and that you can get
>up-to-400m strong without running cross country.
>
>I don't entirely agree with that, but mostly because it's
>pretty wide brush. True 100/200m types can successfully move
>up to 400m without the mileage of cross country, and a number
>of those might find a fall season running 5000m races leaves
>them a bit stiff and rickety when November and December comes
>around. Track doesn't have the same infrastructure for
>building hype around highschool talent as other sports, but
>they're definitely trying - and being able to run a hot time
>in December is now an expectation for a lot of high school
>kids.
>
>All that said, my view is that most kids would profit from
>moving up at least one or two events, and if they continue
>onto college that's what's going to happen in a lot of cases.
>Most HS programs tend to stream kids to 400m and below or 800m
>at above, and that means the boundary of "sprint" for the
>former group and "distance" for the latter group doesn't get
>breached as often as it should. More 200/400 runners should
>seriously try the 800. More 400/800 runners* should seriously
>try the mile, etc. Cross country is a pretty decent,
>low-pressure way to find out if that kind of move is right for
>a young runner.

I follow this line of thinking. at least for now. seems like the endurance would really help on those mid-distance races. 400s & 800s especially.

>
>*I should add here though that one of the most interesting
>effects of the explosion of club track programs the last
>half-decade or so is that kids are trying a pretty wide
>diversity of events at a pretty young age. So the dynamic I'm
>complaining about may be changing.

there are so many teams and places to run. different levels. rec centers vs aau, etc. getting mine into the sport and finding the right fit has been especially tricky.

we started out at the rec center. eventually realized they didn't have the resources to really make things happen. they also operate on a really short schedule. my daughter was doing a lot of shorter races, but she's not build for 100s or 200s. just seems like she was slow when it more an issue of not running the right races.

later, we got her on an aau squad. they practiced more and were more serious in general. she found the right runs to compete in, 400s & 800s. she'd never won race until that 400 a couple of years ago. she also went to state that same year for the 800. made a lot of progress by simply being on a better, more competitive team.

>
>Yeah dude. You're honestly a hero for this. We have parents
>come by and watch once and awhile and I'm *thrilled* that
>they're there because this isn't the sexiest sport in terms of
>highschool social capital, so if the parents are into it then
>the kids have a shot of being into it. But when they're around
>I can't help but think, "who would want to watch this?"
>
>The answer appears to be: good parents who are helping make my
>job easier.

it just makes sense for me to get something done. there are other folks out walking and doing stuff too. often times, its parents just dropping them off. or just chilling on the sidelines. I try not to judge since everybody's situation is diff. folks are working or whatever. just may be tired by practice time. might have their own injuries or simply, it aint their thing. I so wish there were more dads at practice tho.
>
>You are entirely correct. My team has a hellaciously terrible
>time running fast early in the season. I mostly coach distance
>runners and I have a pretty young bunch right now, so I more
>or less gave up the ghost on running fast times, early. But
>even our sprinters are terrible at it. No matter how good our
>team ends up, we are reliably garbage for the first 2-3
>months.
>
>But I see these kids from other programs who are ready to go
>and throw out some eyebrow-raising performances early, and
>it's like they get streamed into a whole separate set of
>runners. They get higher seeds in better meets, and the fast
>times just kind of unfold from there. The risk is that I've
>also seen some programs that are just red-lining their kids
>from December through Nationals in June, and it's about 50/50
>whether those kids make it through the season uninjured. There
>is a nationally notable (set the highschool 4x400m and 4x200m
>national records last winter during indoor) sprint program in
>our conference, and they are... undeniably better than us. But
>they've often had to shut down their best runners because the
>wear and tear adds up.
>

its those aau teams that are running all year or at least practicing before the official season starts. they come out the gate rolling. they seem to just have better athletes. mine just aren't into it like I hoped.

you're right about injuries. there's can be a wearing down process for those that got an early start on the season. I think for high school, those injuries are also coming from doing multiple sports. they're not really getting any breaks between seasons. just rolling out of one sport, right into the next.

>That's a really extreme example though. You're absolutely
>right about getting a head start.
>
>
>Ugh. That last part is frustrating to hear. Sorry about that.
>I'm a mixed bag as a coach, but the stuff that you're dealing
>with is the easiest stuff to get right and it sucks when
>coaches don't. Just talk to kids and parents about what events
>you think are best for their kid individually and the team as
>a whole, and be conservative about how you push kids to deal
>with discomfort/pain/injury.

I was pissed at that coach. he was already sucky from a personality standpoint from what I saw the previous year. not a good motivator. just cusses and yells a lot. that was her first year with him. I kinda made her quit that team because I saw him stunting her growth. this year was more terrible. he didn't even let the team know about practices. wouldn't respond to them about meets. didn't response on their group chats. I have no idea what he was doing.

the whole time, I was thinking the high school coaching would her reach new goals. nope. the experience for both years has been bad. hoping for a new school next year and better results.

>
>Girls track is definitely a fruitful avenue for college.
>There's not a ton of money in the sport, so scholarships are
>scarce - but they're way more common for girls than boys, and
>because girls programs aren't as deep as boys programs - I'm
>always a bit surprised and impressed when one or another local
>girl that I'd characterize as "pretty good" rather than "fall
>over and die fast as hell" ends up going to run at a major
>program. Seems there are just ... fewer fast girls, so a fast
>girl is going to get more NCAA attention.

I didn't realize that. even more reason for her to get with a good program and see what she can do. she's never reached her full potential. a lot of that is on her from a work ethic stand point. being on a good team would help push her tho.
>
>Jesus, this really got me going talking about track. How old
>are your kids? And what events are they interested in now?

my daughter just turned 16 and my son, 11. they both like the same races. 200, 400, and 800. she can do all of them decently, but her best is the 400. not quite enough foot speed to compete in the 200 very well. I think that's a stamina issue tho since there are no breaks in that run.

he also fits better with the longer races, 400 and 800. not sure what really fits him yet. he starts out well, but fades about 75 meters in lol. so yeah, still finding his footing. stamina definitely needs work. I think he'd actually be fine with 800s and 1600s. or maybe track isn't his sport lol.

lsymone
Member since Nov 03rd 2007
7401 posts
Tue May-19-20 10:34 AM

23. "i dont have kids and kept wondering where did i get this fupa, until"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-19-20 10:35 AM by lsymone

a friend told me to cut out the sugar.

prior to corona, three teaspoons of sugar in my coffee 5 days a week. during corona, cut it out completely including the coffee.

ran and still running 15 to 30 minute guided runs w/ help from Nike app w/ Coach Bennett, and lost the belly flat completely. moving up to 45 min to an hour run next month. goal at the end of summer is to do 1k to 3k.

wont be going back to sugar ever, and lost the craving. total weight lost 20lbs.

take a message

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue May-19-20 11:00 AM

28. "its really amazing to see the body"
In response to Reply # 23

change from letting sugar go. congrats on dropping that 20 and getting the running together.

I'm doing sugar again. I won't completely cut it out forever, but it'll definitely be eating less going forward. it made me more mindful of the stuff I buy. looking at the number of grams of sugar. its making me change the foods I buy.

like granola and yogurt. before I wasn't noticing the amount of sugar in these items that I'd eat for breakfast/lunch. once I started looking, was like this is just like eating candy but 'looks' healthier because is yogurt.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue May-19-20 11:01 AM

29. "goodness...I envy you..."

losing that urge for sugar is tough...but when you do, you really do...until you go back. I had cut out sodas...didn't even think about them. Now, I'm drinking 2, sometimes 3 a day. Sucks how addictive they are.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue May-19-20 01:27 PM

36. "ok, I give up.... what's a fupa?"

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue May-19-20 01:45 PM

37. "at pper elvic rea"
In response to Reply # 36

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue May-19-20 01:53 PM

38. "front upper pussy area or"

front upper penis area.

basically, the area between you belly button and genitals.

BrooklynWHAT
85073 posts
Tue May-19-20 01:55 PM

39. "same as bootydo"

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Tue May-19-20 12:06 PM

32. "Still waiting for my Schwinn Airdyne AD7"
In response to Reply # 0

It's supposed to be delivered today, got pushed back from last Friday. I really fucking need it tho. Tired of not being active as I used to be. I can front squat once I get going with the air bike.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Tue May-19-20 12:24 PM

33. "I've never been able to front squat."
In response to Reply # 32

the wrist part fucks me up.

good look on the bike. that should help get some movement.

Heinz
20759 posts
Tue May-19-20 11:11 PM

41. "play around with hand positioning and stretch your whole arms"
In response to Reply # 33
Tue May-19-20 11:13 PM by Heinz

a lot of tightness in forearms (both sides), bicep and into your front delt and peck. Do that daily or every workout day will help a ton. Its a fun workout to learn. I got up to 225lb i think. I have no idea if thats good but it was fun. m

The bike didnt come today, still sitting somewhere in a UPS facility LOL Fuck

----------

IG @erichrigonan

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Wed May-20-20 07:28 AM

43. "got it. thanks."
In response to Reply # 41

my wrist and forearms are tight af. lol I need to do more stretching in general.

hopefully they'll let your bike out of captivity soon.

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Wed May-20-20 05:18 PM

49. "i love my airdyne ad2. one of the best purchases i've ever made"
In response to Reply # 32

how much stationary bike experience do you have?

Heinz
20759 posts
Thu May-21-20 09:28 AM

52. "my gym has an assault bike and i loved it "
In response to Reply # 49

i would usually do it 3-4 times a week for 20 mins HIIT. ive been missing that routine so I wanted to get this. i think i might try to do 30-40 mins of just a steady pace and working on conditioning

----------

IG @erichrigonan

fif
1998 posts
Tue May-19-20 01:01 PM

34. "Been biking to work"
In response to Reply # 0

Got a pretty nice road bike on craigslist. Car broke down but it's been a blessing in some ways. It's a little over 5 miles of gradual uphill on the way there and starting the day with a little pump has been great for my mood to start the day.

Reasonably confident I had covid. Strange illness ripped through my workplace in mid-Feb. And late Feb, early March my running fitness inexplicably took a dive. Basically a half mile in my calves felt like dead-weight, like blood wasnt circulating properly. I'm not an elite runner or anything but I've never hit a wall like that in my life. Seems like how a mild, essentially asymptomatic case could present itself. I'd like to take an antibody test.

Would be interesting to hear from runners/cyclists who've tested positive about what impact the disease has had on their fitness.

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Tue May-19-20 09:14 PM

40. "Am ... am I a runner now? "
In response to Reply # 0

After the boxing gym shut down, shadowboxing got old pretty quick and I don't have room to add a double end bag or heavy bag to the crib, so my only hope for staying in somewhat boxing shape was to run. I started doing 2 miles, but moved up to 5ks. Switched to NRC app and my friends found me and started inviting me to weekly challenges, and for the first time in my life running is somewhat tolerable.

My goals for the next month or so are:
7 min mile (current fastest: 7:12)
8 min 2 mile pace (current fastest pace: 8:11)
26 min 5k (current fastest: 26:43)

My actual weight training workouts are suffering. I'm just not inspired to lift. I have a barbell set and some light dumbbells, but mostly do pushup/ab supersets once or twice a week

Anyways, as collateral, I'm almost at my goal weight (199 lbs). I started at 225, and am down to about 204 now

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Wed May-20-20 07:33 AM

44. "you're killing it."
In response to Reply # 40
Wed May-20-20 07:35 AM by tariqhu

and yep, you're a runner now. I do only 10-12 miles a week. may increase it over time since I've met my recent goals.

where are you running to get those miles and times? I have 2 routes that both have peaks and valleys. the hills still take a toll on my pace, but they don't make me walk like they did earlier this year.

I miss boxing. don't have the time to do it anymore. It was the best workout activity and you learn to kick a lil ass in the process.

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Wed May-20-20 04:59 PM

48. "Much appreciated!"
In response to Reply # 44

>and yep, you're a runner now. I do only 10-12 miles a week.
>may increase it over time since I've met my recent goals.
>
>where are you running to get those miles and times? I have 2
>routes that both have peaks and valleys. the hills still take
>a toll on my pace, but they don't make me walk like they did
>earlier this year.

Either my neighborhood, the beach boardwalk, or downtown. All are roughly equally as flat tho. I wish they had good trails around here

>
>
>I miss boxing. don't have the time to do it anymore. It was
>the best workout activity and you learn to kick a lil ass in
>the process.

Agree! And I feel you, it's a huge time commitment. I love the way it made me think; it really teaches me a lot

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Thu May-21-20 05:03 PM

54. "I REALLY miss the gym. But can't see myself going back any"
In response to Reply # 0

time soon, so I'm transitioning. I don't have a good space for a home setup on weights like I'd want (squat rack with a platform) so I'm just working with the Bowflex adjustable dumbbell set, my punching bag, and a makeshift bench for now.

The dumbbell workouts are just now starting to get fun - working lighter weight and higher reps is a new challenge. I've essentially changed from powerlifting barbell focused workouts (squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench) to more of a body builder workout with isolated movements, and less rest time. Takes a lot longer, but starting to get into a groove.

Heinz
20759 posts
Thu May-21-20 09:38 PM

55. "Amazing!"
In response to Reply # 54

I agree i miss it but im not going back yet. Especially this booking appointments nonsense. not only do you book to get inside you have to book the area you want to workout in LOL
----------

IG @erichrigonan

Lobby General Discussion topic #13384397 Previous topic | Next topic