Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13383879

Subject: "Who The Fuck Thought Quibi Was A Good Idea To Spend Money On?" Previous topic | Next topic
Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed May-13-20 05:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who The Fuck Thought Quibi Was A Good Idea To Spend Money On?"

theres always that point when someone hops on a trend...and just jumps the shark by outsmarting themselves to differentiate their product.

'we should start another streaming service'...they shoulda just rode with that. its a saturated market but not a completely disastrous idea.

'we should start another streaming service but also...*whole bunch of 'innovative' shit that nobody is even really asking for and definitely aint willing to spend money on*'...thats where they fucked up at.

did they talk to any real people outside of their corporate headquarters before launching this? its like they did *everything* wrong.

you know everyone involved is garbage when you blame the pandemic for people *not* being interested in watching your content.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/11/business/media/jeffrey-katzenberg-quibi-coronavirus.html?smid=tw-share&fbclid=IwAR3X4NViIqyxhPwJ4_CD0wi2ob7DWqBJ91hHLUb3LBoU41f_GgviqO8l2Ws

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What's crazy is this isn't the first time Katzenberg has had this terrib...
May 13th 2020
I do recall and yeah. it's wild anyone gives him money
May 13th 2020
RE: Who The Fuck Thought Quibi Was A Good Idea To Spend Money On?
May 13th 2020
It's really showcased just how biased/influenced media outlets are....
May 13th 2020
I think everyone was calling it a piece of shit?
May 13th 2020
apple tv+ was a subtle version of this imo.
May 13th 2020
Give it a few months and you'll see round 2 of the Apple TV+ blitz
May 13th 2020
I think this is an example of what people don't get about media
May 13th 2020
      Apple TV Just Bought The Rights To Peanuts/Charlie Brown/Snoopy
Oct 21st 2020
i dont think i ever saw a positive piece about Quibi
May 13th 2020
Here’s the wild shit about it.
May 13th 2020
that would be a decent plan, but they spent *so much* on content
May 13th 2020
Which I’d sorta understand if they owned the content.
May 14th 2020
Wow.
May 14th 2020
BURY ME WITH MY GOLDEN ARM!
May 13th 2020
the chrissy teigen courtroom show was funny
May 14th 2020
rip.
Oct 21st 2020
lol
Oct 21st 2020
I shoulda bet on this lol....
Oct 21st 2020
I can’t lie.. the trailers for some of their shows looked good
Oct 22nd 2020
ain't nobody tryin to pay for glorified Progressive Insurance commercial...
Oct 22nd 2020

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Wed May-13-20 05:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "What's crazy is this isn't the first time Katzenberg has had this terrib..."
In response to Reply # 0

idea.

Anyone remember pop.com?

https://ew.com/article/2000/06/09/popcom-fizzles/

Don't be surprised if you don't, the only reason I remember was because I was fresh out of college and in LA at the time and I did a pitch for them. The company was super similar concept, online curated slick produced content, and even then I was wondering, how the heck you are going to make money doing this in 2000.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed May-13-20 06:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I do recall and yeah. it's wild anyone gives him money"
In response to Reply # 1

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Wed May-13-20 05:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Who The Fuck Thought Quibi Was A Good Idea To Spend Money On?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/vanthebrand/status/1101927292530450432?s=21

My understanding of the Quibi business model is that by playing credits between each act of TV instead of commercials, you can claim a 10 episode $2,000,000 an episode season is actually 40 “low budget under 12 minute episodes” , allowing SAG and WGA minimums to be skirted.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed May-13-20 05:58 PM

3. "It's really showcased just how biased/influenced media outlets are...."
In response to Reply # 0

I mean...I knew of course...but man....
The way some of the tech sites are (ie The Verge) are shying away from calling that shit show exactly what it is really surprised me....

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed May-13-20 06:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I think everyone was calling it a piece of shit?"
In response to Reply # 3

I mean idk I didn't read everything, but

(also vox was doing some stuff with them on it)

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed May-13-20 06:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "apple tv+ was a subtle version of this imo."
In response to Reply # 3

when that dropped...nobody (regular folks) was really talking about any of their shows (even tho it was free for a lot of people)...and yet nobody reported about how it failed to catch on like they thought it would. and its shows got regularly listed on those 'best shows to stream right now' type lists on entertainment/lifestyle sites like 'you should really check out apple tv+ right now just for this show alone!'.

but quibi is on a whole nother level. this is the john carter of streaming sites. and its not getting absolutely demolished like it should be.

i just remember these outlets burying tidal in non stop bad press for like a year. making scandals out of every little hiccup and inventing atrocities where none existed. and tidal was a useful service on a perfectly fine tech platform with exclusive content that people had an actual demand for.

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Wed May-13-20 08:28 PM

8. "Give it a few months and you'll see round 2 of the Apple TV+ blitz"
In response to Reply # 6

Headlines all over the place about how many subscribers they've picked up in less than a year.

There won't be much emphasis on the fact that they gave a bunch of those away for free.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed May-13-20 08:52 PM

9. "I think this is an example of what people don't get about media"
In response to Reply # 6

apple gets positive-tinged coverage usually because readers (I didn't say commenters, I said readers -- readers almost exclusively don't comment) ....surprise surprise.... like Apple.

writing the article about "yeah I liked The Morning Show but Fuck Apple because They Made It Apple TV+ Exclusive" might get you love from Joe YouTuber but that's not what people with money want to read, and most people who use Android or whatever aren't actually clicking on Apple hate articles all day.

youtube titles and videos are formatted differently not because They're The Real Honesty About Shitty Apple, but because that platform's algorithm is tuned for edginess.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 10:17 PM

19. "Apple TV Just Bought The Rights To Peanuts/Charlie Brown/Snoopy"
In response to Reply # 9

>writing the article about "yeah I liked The Morning Show
>but Fuck Apple because They Made It Apple TV+ Exclusive"
>might get you love from Joe YouTuber but that's not what
>people with money want to read

Apple TV just made a deal to exclusively stream all Peanuts/Charlie Brown movies and that means no more Peanuts on regular networks; but they say you can stream the movies for free...on certain days.

Even though I've seen those movies a millions times and ain't going to miss seeing them, it's was kind of how you expect certain stations to play a certain movie regardless if it's been shown to death; I still expect TNT or AMC to show "Die Hard" during the christmas holidays ya know.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Wed May-13-20 06:33 PM

7. "i dont think i ever saw a positive piece about Quibi"
In response to Reply # 3

<--- Big Baller World Order

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Wed May-13-20 09:05 PM

10. "Here’s the wild shit about it. "
In response to Reply # 0

People who produced content get it back in 2 years. Meaning they can repackage and sell it again. It always seemed to me like a technology play to begin with - like they were waiting to be bought out by a giant to do that dumb technology. They never ever understood the game here.

Also, I’m happy for my friends who got paid by them and am sad for the few people I know who work there but this was destined to be a bust.

Shape of Pasta is good tho.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed May-13-20 09:38 PM

11. "that would be a decent plan, but they spent *so much* on content"
In response to Reply # 10

they invested like it's the new netflix

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Thu May-14-20 12:26 AM

13. "Which I’d sorta understand if they owned the content. "
In response to Reply # 11

Only to sell it off piecemeal.

But they don’t. This is all for nothing.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Thu May-14-20 07:36 AM

14. "Wow."
In response to Reply # 10

Pretty wild folks would choose to invest in that service with that sell off of the content being viable.

The repackaging of the content means I will eventually see those Reno 911 shorts that were filmed for this service, so that is stellar news for sure. Good to know the content won't get sunken down when this service eventually sinks and fails.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

The_Orange_Ninja_Turtle
Member since Jan 14th 2005
22411 posts
Wed May-13-20 10:55 PM

12. "BURY ME WITH MY GOLDEN ARM!"
In response to Reply # 0

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Thu May-14-20 03:19 PM

15. "the chrissy teigen courtroom show was funny"
In response to Reply # 0

mostly bc her/her mom & the random JL appearances

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 04:50 PM

16. "rip."
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1319004955764772866

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 07:16 PM

17. "lol"
In response to Reply # 16

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Oct-21-20 07:32 PM

18. "I shoulda bet on this lol...."
In response to Reply # 16

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:07 AM

20. "I can’t lie.. the trailers for some of their shows looked good"
In response to Reply # 0

but then I looked up the platform and it made no sense.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Oct-22-20 08:17 AM

21. "ain't nobody tryin to pay for glorified Progressive Insurance commercial..."
In response to Reply # 20

i'm saying......
they basically took Progressive's whole steez and said..."Hmmmm we can maybe flip this and make some loot...possibly? Maybe?"

This one gets me every time... lol..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wIDiclzgjY

Lobby General Discussion topic #13383879 Previous topic | Next topic