Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13383530

Subject: "where my HR heads at? My Board member tried it..." Previous topic | Next topic
Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Tue May-12-20 08:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"where my HR heads at? My Board member tried it..."
Tue May-12-20 08:15 AM by Damali

PPP has to be spent within 8 weeks.

the only way we can accomplish that is if we give everyone a temporary pay bump to hit the 75% threshold, which would qualify us for the "forgiveable" part of the loan

so our white male treasuer feels like there isn't enough benefit to the org if we do that...

he proposes we do that, but consider it an "advance", then cut everyone's pay by half for the 8 weeks afterward...expecting folks to save the money for later

mind you, 65% of my staff are part time hourly workers who are black and brown folk.

i told him it was cruel and unfair and he was like "i don't understand why"

i gave a resounding I'M NOT DOING THIS. LETS MOVE ON.

fuck that dude. ..i'm so fucking pissed, still. fucking privileged white people, i swear

PPP is meant to benefit PEOPLE...WORKERS...PAYROLL. Its called the fucking Payroll PROTECTION program for a fucking reason...asking some to take half their salary for two months is hte exact fucking opposite of protecting them

sorry i'm just here to vent.

also, i'm absolutely not considering it so don't get cussed out

d

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
White priveleged matriarchy/patriarchy is so real and disgusting...
May 12th 2020
jeezus fucking christ...the gall, i swear
May 12th 2020
I'm not HR, but wow.
May 12th 2020
RE: I'm not HR, but wow.
May 12th 2020
it really sucks when companies play with peoples income
May 12th 2020
RE: it really sucks when companies play with peoples income
May 12th 2020
      thanks for the reply!
May 12th 2020
Goddamn both your and Warrior's posts are infuriating.
May 12th 2020

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17896 posts
Tue May-12-20 09:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "White priveleged matriarchy/patriarchy is so real and disgusting..."
In response to Reply # 0

I handle employee disputes at my job.

One time I had a lady who was looking for a raise and was mostly deserving of it.

I go and talk to the manager. The manager was an arrogant ass Karen who proudly proclaimed that she and her husband payed more in taxes that what her employee made yearly. She also stated that the lady "didn't need that much money."

Who the fuck are you to determine how much money a person needs, especially if they are working for it? She treated the lady like a child asking for allowance.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

Damali
35865 posts
Tue May-12-20 09:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "jeezus fucking christ...the gall, i swear"
In response to Reply # 1

can't wait to get out of this fucking country

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Tue May-12-20 09:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I'm not HR, but wow."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-12-20 09:25 AM by kfine

>
>he proposes we do that, but consider it an "advance", then cut
>everyone's pay by half for the 8 weeks afterward...expecting
>folks to save the money for later
>
>mind you, 65% of my staff are part time hourly workers who are
>black and brown folk.
>
>i told him it was cruel and unfair and he was like "i don't
>understand why"
>

I'd hope that maybe a teaching moment could come out of the friction (perhaps not just for him but the rest of your board too) but it's also frustrating that extra emotional labor falls on you in the first place. I mean, your standpoint is exactly why diversity in executive ranks is so important, but it must get exhausting. And I feel for all the orgs that *don't* have someone like you at the helm and would/will probably move forward on a suggestion similar to his.

Anyway, can I also just thank you for the stories you share on here from the perspective of a chief executive? It's a really unique viewpoint compared to the topics that usually come up on okp and I really love this insider view. You go sis

Damali
35865 posts
Tue May-12-20 02:23 PM

5. "RE: I'm not HR, but wow."
In response to Reply # 3

>
>I'd hope that maybe a teaching moment could come out of the
>friction (perhaps not just for him but the rest of your board
>too)

nah I've already called them out on their veiled racism during our last Board meeting (for trying to get me to fire all the staff after the crisis hit) , to which i got white fragility defensiveness in return, so the "veronica is so amazing" honeymoon is now over....and i don't give a fuck. they are going to get this smoke every time. i have nothing to lose at this point. I'm quitting by the end of the year anyway.

but it's also frustrating that extra emotional labor
>falls on you in the first place.

ABSOLUTELY. And Im so tired..emotionally, mentally phsyically...thank you for acknowledging this.

I mean, your standpoint is
>exactly why diversity in executive ranks is so important, but
>it must get exhausting. And I feel for all the orgs that
>*don't* have someone like you at the helm and would/will
>probably move forward on a suggestion similar to his.

Thank you! I said this exact thing to my sons last night..that I'm so proud that I have the power to say no...to put my foot down and protect the staff and the program. The gravity of that isn't lost on me...C-suite diversity is CRUCIAL.

>
>Anyway, can I also just thank you for the stories you share on
>here from the perspective of a chief executive? It's a really
>unique viewpoint compared to the topics that usually come up
>on okp and I really love this insider view. You go sis

wow, you're welcome!! It still blows my mind that I have this kind of job...i was always told i wasn't management material because I lead from my heart etc...but i've come to realize that that's my superpower. I'm hella vulnerable in interviews, i tout my failures and talk about how i center people in my management style...my emotional intelligence is the key to my success. My staff trust me because I hold myself accountable and ask them to criticize me, then make changes based on their feedback (or explain why i don't agree to the change) etc...i have high standards for them, but i make space for them to fail AND learn from it...no one is punished for failing after a sincere attempt.

my professional development style is to help the staff gain skills that they can use not just in this job, but for the next one..i encourage them to plan for their future career, whether its here or not. I want them to leave here better at lots of things than when they arrived.

The sad thing is: I've never had the kind of boss that I am. Just like I never had the kind of parent that I am to my sons...life is crazy like that..but I do long to have that kind of professional support and development...i've had to do it for myself.

damn imma cry now..

d

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue May-12-20 09:26 AM

4. "it really sucks when companies play with peoples income"
In response to Reply # 0

wether its suddenly paying a lesser rate or cutting hours.

im curious on a few details, if you are allowed to and want to share.

we dont know that PPP will get expanded right? when that money is out you have to count on it being out right?

if you dont bump up pay and keep people where they are then you have to pay back the loan? is there more to it?

could you spend it by keeping everyone where they are and adding some temp staff?

is the idea to bump their pay and keep them at that bumped up pay after the funds are gone? is that something the company can afford to do? can the company afford to keep paying at their current rate after the PPP funds are gone?

if it benefits the company to give the employees a bump in order to forgive the loan AND they can keep the employees at that pay after it would be awesome.

good luck!

Damali
35865 posts
Tue May-12-20 02:36 PM

7. "RE: it really sucks when companies play with peoples income"
In response to Reply # 4

>we dont know that PPP will get expanded right? when that money
>is out you have to count on it being out right?

true, but the benefit to us is that any money that comes into the org between now and then, we don't have to use it for payroll...we can catch up with other bills, etc to position ourselves to be in a better financial situation when the "help" runs out. it just gives us some breathing room

>if you dont bump up pay and keep people where they are then
>you have to pay back the loan? is there more to it?

nope, that's about it. we did lose 1 employee who went on maternity leave, so we may have to pay a little back. interest rate is 1% so that's not terrible.

>could you spend it by keeping everyone where they are and
>adding some temp staff?

i could technically, but i don't need temp staff right now. there's barely enough work to do for exisiting staff. therefore, i'd rather they benefit from it than someone completely new

>
>is the idea to bump their pay and keep them at that bumped up
>pay after the funds are gone? is that something the company
>can afford to do?

no i'd make it clear that its a temporary increase. if later we can afford to pay more because we're in a better financial position, then I definitely will.

can the company afford to keep paying at
>their current rate after the PPP funds are gone?

as of now, yes. i'm constantly writing grants. i'm expecting some will come to fruition within the next 2-3 months. that's the only good thing about being a nonprofit in a crisis..you can beg for money and people listen.
>
>if it benefits the company to give the employees a bump in
>order to forgive the loan AND they can keep the employees at
>that pay after it would be awesome.

and that's exactly where i am with it
>
>good luck!

thank you!

d

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue May-12-20 02:54 PM

8. "thanks for the reply!"
In response to Reply # 7

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue May-12-20 02:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Goddamn both your and Warrior's posts are infuriating."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-12-20 02:33 PM by Brew

Capitalism and white matri/patriarchy hard at work, in perfect harmony. What a shitty world.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Lobby General Discussion topic #13383530 Previous topic | Next topic