Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13382917

Subject: "(SWIPE) I Just Flew. It Was Worse Than I Thought It Would Be." Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22248 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"(SWIPE) I Just Flew. It Was Worse Than I Thought It Would Be."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/is-flying-safe-coronavirus/611335/

The cabin was restless. It was a weekday afternoon in late April, and I was among dozens of people boarding an airplane that most of us had assumed would be empty. Flight attendants were scrambling to accommodate seat-change requests. Travelers—stuffed shoulder to shoulder into two-seat rows—grumbled at one another from behind masks. An ominous announcement came over the in-flight PA system: “We apologize for the alarming amount of passengers on this flight.” Each of us was a potential vector of deadly disease.

I arrived at my assigned row, and found a stocky, gray-haired man in the seat next to mine. When I moved to sit down, he stopped me. “Sit there,” he said gruffly, pointing to the aisle behind us. “Social distance.”

Not eager for a confrontation, I decided to comply. Within seconds, though, a flight attendant materialized and ordered me back to my assigned seat. My recalcitrant would-be seatmate, vigorously objecting to this development, responded by blocking my entrance to the row with his leg.

A standoff ensued, with the irate passenger protesting that there were plenty of empty rows where I could sit (there weren’t) and the long-suffering flight attendant all but threatening to kick him off the plane (she didn’t). Finally, he relented and I squeezed awkwardly into my seat as the man muttered profanities under his breath.

Why did I think flying would be easy right now?

In the days leading up to my trip, colleagues and family members had repeatedly expressed envy. “I’m so jealous,” one co-worker told me. “Taking a flight without kids sounds like heaven,” my wife said. The travel wasn’t anything extravagant; I was going on a short reporting trip that couldn’t be rescheduled. But I understood the sentiment. Like millions of Americans, I’d been social distancing for nearly two months—cooped up at home, growing a gnarly quarantine beard, and manically wiping down groceries with Lysol. The prospect of packing a suitcase, putting on real pants, and boarding an airplane sounded like a thrilling indulgence, a grand adventure. Travel by air! Who could even imagine such a thing?

But flying during a pandemic turned out to be more stressful—and surreal—than I’d planned for. The scenes played out like a postapocalyptic movie: Paranoid travelers roamed the empty terminals in masks, eyeing one another warily as they misted themselves with disinfectant. Dystopian public-service announcements echoed through the airport—“This is a message from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...” Even the smallest, most routine tasks—such as dealing with the touch-screen ticketing kiosk—felt infused with danger.

My trip took place in two legs, and the first was weird mostly in the ways that I’d expected. All but a few of the shops and restaurants at Washington National Airport were closed. Beverage service in the main cabin was suspended (though apparently serving ginger ale to first-class passengers was ruled epidemiologically acceptable). My first flight was so empty that the pilot warned we would experience “a very rapid acceleration for takeoff.” The plane leapt into the sky and my stomach dropped. I spent much of the flight using my baggie of Lysol wipes to scrub and re-scrub every surface within reach.

The layover at O’Hare was where my fellow travelers’ fraying nerves came more fully into view. In the restroom, men hovered over sinks like warriors returning from battle, fervently washing their hands and shooting menacing looks at anyone who got too close. At the food court, a shouting match broke out among several stressed-out strangers, and police had to intervene.

Outside the gate, passengers sat five or six seats apart, barely acknowledging one another, let alone attempting conversation. The eerie silence wore on me after a while. When my wife texted to ask how it was going, the best description I could muster was a grimacing emoji.

Flying has always been unpleasant, and rife with small indignities. It’s likely that I was more alert than usual to the agitation of those around me. But as America lurches awkwardly toward an economic “reopening” in the weeks ahead, my fraught travel experience highlighted an unwelcome truth: The glittering allure of “normalcy” that waits on the other end of these stay-at-home orders is a mirage.

Read: I have seen the future—and it’s not the life we knew

The things we miss most about our pre-pandemic lives—dine-in restaurants and recreational travel, karaoke nights and baseball games—require more than government permission to be enjoyed. These activities are predicated not only on close human contact but mutual affection and good-natured patience, on our ability to put up with one another. Governors can lift restrictions and companies can implement public-health protocols. But until we stop reflexively seeing people as viral threats, those old small pleasures we crave are likely to remain elusive.

I only had to sit next to my angry seatmate for a few minutes. Shortly after his tantrum, a flight attendant came back to our row and—after treating the man to a withering glare—informed me that I was being upgraded. I gathered my things and sheepishly made my way up the aisle while the aggrieved passenger sarcastically exclaimed, “Ooh, first class!”

As the plane ascended, I pressed my head against the window and peered down at the disappearing runway. I tried to ponder the miracle of human flight, to savor this rare privilege I was experiencing. But then an unhappy thought asserted itself: How many people have touched this window today with their filthy hands? I jerked back, and squirted some hand sanitizer onto my forehead.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
That pic look like we all living in a Christopher Nolan movie now
May 08th 2020
anxiety is a mf innit
May 08th 2020
I don't think you read the article
May 08th 2020
oh i read it. it just read like a list of anxieties to me.
May 08th 2020
Shades at the airport? Ok lol
May 08th 2020
      maximum unbotheredness
May 08th 2020
im supposed to fly again for the first time since early feb at the end
May 08th 2020
5 Hour drive
May 08th 2020
      I don’t drive, haven’t since 2012. Everything is not cut and dry
May 08th 2020
           Good luck. Be safe
May 08th 2020
           Thx
May 08th 2020
           aren't you assuming he meant you would be the driver?
May 09th 2020
                yep. Becuz that would be the only non STUPID reference to a
May 10th 2020
I got close to a G tied up in flight credit right now
May 08th 2020
Yeah I'm about to cancel a couple of flights. Wish I could get a refund
May 08th 2020
      I think you can actually get a refund.
May 08th 2020
      Everything I'm seeing online says otherwise...
May 08th 2020
           Yea I tried to call and plead my case with Delta & no dice
May 08th 2020
      my credits are til 09/22. Even the ones I had that I used on these fligh...
May 08th 2020
           Ah yeah...just saw that they changed their policy
May 08th 2020
Coworker just flew and said the biggest issue was no drinks
May 08th 2020
one infected person sneezes in there and it's curtains LOL
May 09th 2020
I have 3 pending flights to use that were cancelled for various reasons
May 08th 2020
I get his seat mate was kinda being a dick but still shitty the
May 08th 2020
Flown twice ...
May 08th 2020
Well this is encouraging
May 08th 2020
I’m good. Link.
May 10th 2020
my fiance & I took a flight from CA to FL for a move
May 14th 2020
glad they at least had those middle rows empty...ive seen some
May 14th 2020
Orlando Itl Airport - 260 positive employess out of less than 500
Jun 17th 2020
Not true
Jun 17th 2020
      Thank you for the follow up
Jun 18th 2020
Flew last month to New Jersey
Jun 18th 2020

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6565 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "That pic look like we all living in a Christopher Nolan movie now"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "anxiety is a mf innit"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-08-20 12:13 PM by BrooklynWHAT

i stay in shades/headphones at the airport just not really bothered by shit so none of this would bug me.

<--- Big Baller World Order

MEAT
22248 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:15 PM

3. "I don't think you read the article"
In response to Reply # 2

------

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:19 PM

4. "oh i read it. it just read like a list of anxieties to me."
In response to Reply # 3

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:29 PM

20. "Shades at the airport? Ok lol"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri May-08-20 02:30 PM by Bambino Grande

>i stay in shades/headphones at the airport just not really
>bothered by shit so none of this would bug me.

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:40 PM

22. "maximum unbotheredness"
In response to Reply # 20

Ain’t gotta worry about listening to folks or acknowledging their existence if I don’t want to. I hate that vibe of airports so that “armor” makes it relaxing for me.

Sometimes folks ask me if I’m famous and trying to be undercover. Usually either the elderly, kids or women. I always get a kick out of that

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:25 PM

5. "im supposed to fly again for the first time since early feb at the end "
In response to Reply # 0

Of this month. I’m really dreading a packed plane.

It’s an Atlanta to Jacksonville Saturday morning flight (as of now, hoping the airline doesn’t change the departure time again!) that usually should be pretty empty but I’m really fearful it will be packed.

I hope ppl are chill tho and everyone has masks on.

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

MEAT
22248 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:33 PM

6. "5 Hour drive"
In response to Reply # 5

------

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:45 PM

7. "I don’t drive, haven’t since 2012. Everything is not cut and dry "
In response to Reply # 6

Best not to assume

prototype

believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

MEAT
22248 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:55 PM

8. "Good luck. Be safe"
In response to Reply # 7

------

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Fri May-08-20 01:31 PM

15. "Thx"
In response to Reply # 8

prototype

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Sat May-09-20 10:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "aren't you assuming he meant you would be the driver?"
In response to Reply # 7

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Sun May-10-20 08:20 AM

27. "yep. Becuz that would be the only non STUPID reference to a "
In response to Reply # 24

5 hour drive. Nobody’s going to be uber or lyfting that distance and a bus or riding in someone else’s car would pose the same risks as flying.

So yeah stop being petty and STUPID and get some business about urself. Thx

prototype

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:58 PM

9. "I got close to a G tied up in flight credit right now"
In response to Reply # 0

granted... I'd rather that than having to fly. But I would sure love that money in hand

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Fri May-08-20 01:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Yeah I'm about to cancel a couple of flights. Wish I could get a refund"
In response to Reply # 9

Instead of these credits that expire after 1 year.

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12147 posts
Fri May-08-20 01:06 PM

11. "I think you can actually get a refund."
In response to Reply # 10

If I'm not mistaken, you just have to push for it vs. a credit.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15893 posts
Fri May-08-20 01:33 PM

17. "Everything I'm seeing online says otherwise..."
In response to Reply # 11

unless it is the airline who cancels the flight.

CherNic
37156 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:07 PM

18. "Yea I tried to call and plead my case with Delta & no dice"
In response to Reply # 17

I knew my SW would probably be credit since I booked the cheapest flight and I'd already had issues with Delta being assholes about refunds...the guy was nice enough about it

CherNic
37156 posts
Fri May-08-20 01:16 PM

13. "my credits are til 09/22. Even the ones I had that I used on these fligh..."
In response to Reply # 10

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15893 posts
Fri May-08-20 01:31 PM

16. "Ah yeah...just saw that they changed their policy"
In response to Reply # 13

I guess that's better.
Still not ideal, but I assume I'll fly again before then so it's not likely to be wasted money

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79334 posts
Fri May-08-20 01:15 PM

12. "Coworker just flew and said the biggest issue was no drinks"
In response to Reply # 0

before the flight..

Said they changed seating to keep people at a distance but it’s cabin air so does that even matter?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Sat May-09-20 10:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "one infected person sneezes in there and it's curtains LOL"
In response to Reply # 12

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Fri May-08-20 01:20 PM

14. "I have 3 pending flights to use that were cancelled for various reasons"
In response to Reply # 0

at this point, I'd rather lose it or see if they'll rent me a car.

But even a rented car right now give me the heebie-jeebies

If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

lightworks
Member since Feb 17th 2006
5818 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:20 PM

19. "I get his seat mate was kinda being a dick but still shitty the"
In response to Reply # 0

reporter got upgraded when all his seat mate was trying to do was stay safe.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:33 PM

21. "Flown twice ..."
In response to Reply # 0

IMO the only thing that sucks is the dread that your flight could be canceled or a connection canceled...

If you have a layover good luck cuz 60% of the airport is closed so trying to find anything is hard.

Other than that you have a row to yourself (at worst no one in the middle seat) everyone is masked up and the procedures move pretty quickly..

Security is a breeze and yea that's it.

Shit DOES feel eerie because it's like any airport at 1 am but in daylight

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:57 PM

23. "Well this is encouraging "
In response to Reply # 21

prototype

MEAT
22248 posts
Sun May-10-20 07:28 AM

26. "I’m good. Link. "
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/ethanjweiss/status/1259165939037331456?s=21

------

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Thu May-14-20 05:25 PM

28. "my fiance & I took a flight from CA to FL for a move"
In response to Reply # 0

delta airlines

they had all of the middle rows empty, I'd say ~75% of passengers had masks on (def wish they'd make it mandatory).

I normally take about 8-20 flights a year & the airport was noticeably less crowded than usual.

the food/drink service on the flight was just a prepackaged baggie with crackers & a bottle of water.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10099 posts
Thu May-14-20 05:32 PM

29. "glad they at least had those middle rows empty...ive seen some"
In response to Reply # 28

disturbing pics of some overpacked flights. glad they are finally figuring it out

MEAT
22248 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 11:08 AM

30. "Orlando Itl Airport - 260 positive employess out of less than 500"
In response to Reply # 0

Orlando International Airport - 260 positive employees out of less than 500

https://twitter.com/news6wkmg/status/1273249034581532672?s=20

------

sersey
Member since Jan 03rd 2005
934 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 08:43 PM

31. "Not true"
In response to Reply # 30

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/os-ne-coronavirus-orlando-airport-testing-desantis-20200617-ypofaadnsnarbj254vtiwivnrq-story.html

MEAT
22248 posts
Thu Jun-18-20 10:57 AM

32. "Thank you for the follow up"
In response to Reply # 31

I was planning on sending this to my MIL

------

SeV
Charter member
50188 posts
Thu Jun-18-20 04:04 PM

33. "Flew last month to New Jersey "
In response to Reply # 0

Had a connecting flight in Chicago coming from DFW

That flight was smooth

Had a whole row to myself

Chicago to Newark was a nightmare

Every gotdamb seat was filled

Ain't even take my mask off to drink my beverage

Think the flight was only an hour n half

Shyt seemed like 5 hours

Nobody was speaking

Just dead silence the whole flight with the occasion intercom message from the pilot and a muffled cough

I was thinking bout going out to LA next month to visit my cousin in long beach

I dont kno now

DALLAS LAKERICKS LETS GO!!

Lobby General Discussion topic #13382917 Previous topic | Next topic