Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13381821

Subject: "Any of yalls management talk about quelling a strike?" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Fri May-01-20 10:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Any of yalls management talk about quelling a strike?"
Fri May-01-20 10:43 AM by MEAT

Got basically asked to snitch this morning and while it's expected, it's always disappointing to hear from people.

People have the right to stand up for their values and while folks may disagree with their grievances, vocally downplaying their complaints makes YOU look like the scumbag not them.

Being in the salaried class feels gross a majority of the time. I didn't work this hard in life (degree, additional education, blah blah) to return to hourly schedules and wages ... but I carry zero animus to the folks that are grinding.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
State of Virginia already did it for me
May 01st 2020
I get beef with them when they get me wrapped up in their.....
May 01st 2020
Not a fan of people who use their union?
May 01st 2020
      Not a fan of people who abuse union resources at the detriment of
May 01st 2020

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Fri May-01-20 11:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "State of Virginia already did it for me"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm an adjunct professor, teaching in DC and VA. Adjuncts at my school in DC at unionized, but we're state employees in Virginia so it's illegal for us to unionize.

Seemed like the VA legislature was going to finally move on this after Democrats finally took control of the VA government. They apparently passed a VERY compromised bill that allowed public employees some limited collective bargaining rights, but Gov. Northam (who was already hedging about this after Dems turned the legislature in the Fall) decided to use COVID-19 as an excuse to delay implementation from July of this year to May 2021. He thoughtfully freighted his decision with some Orwellian nonsense about the delay helping to ensure that Virginia workers could receive the support they need as the state re-opens in the coming months.

That was like two weeks ago and I don't know if there's been any change. Northam isn't supportive of working people in Virginia, and it's extremely frustrating to see Democrats applaud his election victory as a sign of progress in the state when none of that progress is geared towards allowing working men and women to take control of their own labor and fight for their own dignity. The party has to stand for something, eventually, and if the rights of working people to organize and protect themselves isn't one of those things then I don't think the party is worth supporting.

Labor has been taking it on the chin in our country for decades now, because Republicans are natural, explicit enemies of organized Labor and Dems figured they could take Labor's support for granted as they tacked right in the 90s to resume winning elections again. They were right, but the cost has been tremendous in terms of the political and even cultural damage to working class people. Hell, even finding out where the public employee unionization efforts are currently standing in Virginia is tremendously difficult because "labor reporter" is barely a job any more.

Sigh. Good on you for having solidarity with your fellow workers. The right to organize is important. That is all.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri May-01-20 12:06 PM

2. "I get beef with them when they get me wrapped up in their....."
In response to Reply # 0

bad habit of being a career complainer/instigator/i'mgonnagetheunioninvolved/whining ass/non-weightpulling/notlivinguptotheirfullpotential that then proceeds to get the local media involved and I gotta deal with some bullshit for 3 fckin weeks straight.....
let met chill though....
saying too much...

remain steadfast fam!

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79620 posts
Fri May-01-20 12:22 PM

3. "Not a fan of people who use their union? "
In response to Reply # 2

I remember when I got my first check in Philly when I worked stock for Staples.

A union? I never signed up for this? why are they in my pockets?

All I cared about was making as much as possible but I had never been in a union before so I viewed them as thieves who stole my money without even asking. Once it was explained I was cool with it.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri May-01-20 01:00 PM

4. "Not a fan of people who abuse union resources at the detriment of "
In response to Reply # 3

other union members and workers....

>I remember when I got my first check in Philly when I worked
>stock for Staples.
>
>A union? I never signed up for this? why are they in my
>pockets?
>
>All I cared about was making as much as possible but I had
>never been in a union before so I viewed them as thieves who
>stole my money without even asking. Once it was explained I
>was cool with it.

Just a lot of underhanded shit going on around my parts is all...
Threatening to basically put a LOT of hardworking people out of work because one person feels/felt some kinda way about reporting to work while their superiors tele-worked amid this COVID stuff.....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Lobby General Discussion topic #13381821 Previous topic | Next topic