Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13380931

Subject: "The Murder of Ahmed Arbrey (Swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Mon Apr-27-20 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Murder of Ahmed Arbrey (Swipe)"
Mon Apr-27-20 10:25 AM by navajo joe

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/26/us/ahmed-arbery-shooting-georgia.html

Two Weapons, a Chase, a Killing and No Charges
A 25-year-old man running through a Georgia neighborhood ended up dead. A prosecutor argued that the pursuers should not be arrested.

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — Ahmaud Arbery loved to run. It was how the 25-year-old former high school football standout stayed fit, his friends said, and it was not unusual to see him running around the outskirts of the small coastal Georgia city near where he lived.

But on a Sunday afternoon in February, as Mr. Arbery ran through a suburban neighborhood of ranch houses and moss-draped oaks, he passed a man standing in his front yard, who later told the police that Mr. Arbery looked like the suspect in a string of break-ins.

According to a police report, the man, Gregory McMichael, 64, called out to his son, Travis McMichael, 34. They grabbed their weapons, a .357 magnum revolver and a shotgun, jumped into a truck and began following Mr. Arbery.

“Stop, stop,” they shouted at Mr. Arbery, “we want to talk to you.”

Moments later, after a struggle over the shotgun, Mr. Arbery was killed, shot at least twice.

No one has been charged or arrested in connection with the Feb. 23 killing. The case has received little attention beyond Brunswick, but it has raised questions in the community about racial profiling — Mr. Arbery was black, and the father and son are white — and about the interpretation of the state’s self-defense laws.

The Rev. John Davis Perry II, the president of the Brunswick chapter of the NAACP, has called the shooting “troubling.” And Mr. Arbery’s friends and family have worried that the case, similar to others that have prompted nationwide outrage, might quietly disappear in their Deep South community, because social-distancing restrictions amid the coronavirus outbreak have made it difficult for them to gather and protest.

Thanks for reading The Times.
Subscribe to The Times
“We can’t do anything because of this corona stuff,” said Wanda Cooper, Mr. Arbery’s mother. “We thought about walking out where the shooting occurred, just doing a little march, but we can’t be out right now.”

Mr. Arbery was killed three days before the anniversary of the 2012 killing of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed African-American teenager whose confrontation with a Florida neighborhood watch captain, George Zimmerman, helped ignite the Black Lives Matter movement.

According to documents obtained by The New York Times, a prosecutor who had the case for a few weeks told the police that the pursuers had acted within the scope of Georgia’s citizen’s arrest statute, and that Travis McMichael, who held the shotgun, had acted out of self-defense.

The police report does not mention whether Mr. Arbery was in possession of a weapon.

Attempts to reach Gregory McMichael, a retired investigator in the district attorney’s office, were unsuccessful. In a brief phone conversation, Travis McMichael, who runs a company that gives custom boat tours, declined to comment, citing the continuing investigation.

The prosecutor who wrote the letter, George E. Barnhill, the district attorney for Georgia’s Waycross Judicial Circuit, recused himself from the case this month, after Mr. Arbery’s family complained that he had a conflict of interest. A prosecutor from another county is now in charge and will determine whether the case should be presented to a grand jury.

ImageMr. Arbery in an undated photograph provided by his family.
Mr. Arbery in an undated photograph provided by his family.
In and around Brunswick, activists and allies of Mr. Arbery’s family are doing what they can to organize online. They have started a Facebook page and have coordinated a pressure campaign, emailing law enforcement officials and the local newspaper. There are hashtags, #IRunWithMaud and #JusticeForAhmaud, and T-shirts have been printed. But few people are on the streets to see their message.

“There are a lot of people absolutely ready to protest,” said Jason Vaughn, a football coach at Brunswick High School who coached Mr. Arbery, who was an outside linebacker. “But because of social distancing and being safe, we have to watch what’s going on with the coronavirus.”

Mr. Arbery was killed in Satilla Shores, a quiet middle-class enclave that abuts a network of marshlands about 15 minutes from downtown Brunswick and a short jog from Mr. Arbery’s neighborhood.

His friends and family said they believed that Mr. Arbery, who was wearing a white T-shirt, khaki shorts, Nike sneakers and a bandanna when he was killed, had been out exercising.

ADVERTISEMENT

Continue reading the main story
“Everybody in the community knows he runs,” said Mr. Vaughn, who said he saw Mr. Arbery jogging on the streets a few months ago. Mr. Vaughn said that he himself had raised suspicions by jogging through his own neighborhood in the suburbs of Brunswick, recalling a recent instance in which a white woman followed him in a van.

But others contend that Mr. Arbery was up to no good. On the day of the shooting, and apparently moments before the chase, a neighbor in Satilla Shores called 911, telling the dispatcher that a black man in a white T-shirt was inside a house that was under construction and only partially closed in.

“And he’s running right now,” the man told the dispatcher. “There he goes right now!”

In his letter to the police, Mr. Barnhill, the prosecutor, noted that Mr. Arbery had a criminal past. Court records show that Mr. Arbery was convicted of shoplifting and of violating probation in 2018. Five years earlier, according to The Brunswick News, he was indicted on charges that he took a handgun to a high school basketball game.

Still, even if Mr. Arbery committed a property crime on the afternoon he was killed, activists and family members said it would not have warranted a chase by armed neighbors.

“This incident was at the least a case of overly zealous citizens that wrongfully profiled the victim without cause,” Mr. Perry wrote in an email. “These men felt justified in taking the law in their own hands.”

Ms. Cooper, Mr. Arbery’s mother, said she believed the men had judged her son by his skin color. And she does not believe he committed any crimes that day. If he had, she said, “he should have been handled by the police.”

ImageHomes in Glynn County, Ga., where Mr. Arbery lived and was killed. No one has been charged or arrested in connection with his death.
Homes in Glynn County, Ga., where Mr. Arbery lived and was killed. No one has been charged or arrested in connection with his death.Credit...Richard Fausset/The New York Times
Ms. Cooper pushed for Mr. Barnhill, a veteran prosecutor, to recuse himself from the case after she learned that his son works in the Brunswick district attorney’s office, which had previously employed Gregory McMichael. (The Brunswick district attorney, Jackie Johnson, recused herself early on, also because Mr. McMichael had worked in her office.)

“She believes there are kinships between the parties (there are not) and has made other unfounded allegations of bias(es),” Mr. Barnhill wrote in his letter, sent in early April, to the Glynn County Police Department. As such, Mr. Barnhill wrote, he had decided to step away from the case, and would ask Georgia’s attorney general’s office to pick another prosecutor.

Mr. Barnhill also wrote that he did not believe there was evidence of a crime, noting that Gregory McMichael and his son had been legally carrying their weapons under Georgia law. And because Mr. Arbery was a “burglary suspect,” the pursuers, who had “solid firsthand probable cause,” were justified in chasing him under the state’s citizen’s arrest law.

In a separate document, Mr. Barnhill stated that video exists of Mr. Arbery “burglarizing a home immediately preceding the chase and confrontation.” In the letter to the police, he cites a separate video of the shooting filmed by a third pursuer.

Mr. Barnhill said this video, which has not been made public, shows Mr. Arbery attacking Travis McMichael after he and his father pulled up to him in their truck.

The video shows Mr. Arbery trying to grab the shotgun from Travis McMichael’s hands, Mr. Barnhill wrote. And that, he argued, amounts to self-defense under Georgia law. Travis McMichael, Mr. Barnhill concluded, “was allowed to use deadly force to protect himself.”

He noted that it was possible that Mr. Arbery had caused the gun to go off by pulling on it, and pointed to Mr. Arbery’s “mental health records” and prior convictions, which, he said, “help explain his apparent aggressive nature and his possible thought pattern to attack an armed man.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Continue reading the main story
After Mr. Barnhill recused himself, the case was assigned to Tom Durden, in the city of Hinesville, Ga., who must now decide whether to present the case to a grand jury for possible indictments. In an interview last week, Mr. Durden said his team had begun reviewing the evidence. “We don’t know anything about the case,” he said. “We don’t have any preconceived idea about it.”

The police report is based almost solely upon the responding officer’s interview with Gregory McMichael, who had worked at the police department from 1982 to 1989. The responding officer describes him as a witness. According to the report, Mr. McMichael told the officer that he and his son pulled up near Mr. Arbery, that his son got out of the truck with the shotgun, and that his son and Mr. Arbery then fought over the weapon, “at which point Travis fired a shot and then a second later there was a second shot.”

Michael J. Moore, an Atlanta lawyer who formerly served as a U.S. attorney in Georgia, reviewed Mr. Barnhill’s letter to the Glynn County Police Department, as well as the initial police report, at the request of The Times. In an email, Mr. Moore called Mr. Barnhill’s opinion “flawed.”

In his view, Mr. Moore said, the McMichaels appeared to be the aggressors in the confrontation, and such aggressors were not justified in using force under Georgia’s self-defense laws. “The law does not allow a group of people to form an armed posse and chase down an unarmed person who they believe might have possibly been the perpetrator of a past crime,” Mr. Moore wrote.

Nearly two months after the shooting, residents of Satilla Shores remained on guard. One woman angrily asked what a reporter was up to, and another approached almost immediately with similar questions, announcing that she was armed and that she had notified the police.

Mr. Vaughn, the football coach, said on Sunday that he and other activists had come up with a plan to keep the pressure on the authorities. They plan to drive to Mr. Durden’s office in Hinesville, he said, about an hour away. They will mark off spots on the sidewalk so that they remain several feet apart. And they will enter the building, one by one, to ask why the men who chased Mr. Arbery have not been arrested.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This was heartbreaking
Apr 28th 2020
^
May 06th 2020
I'm upping this in light of the release of the footage of his murder
May 05th 2020
Ida B. Wells wins posthumous Pulitzer Prize for her work on lynching
May 05th 2020
now the governor is getting involved...
May 06th 2020
Those pesky videos
May 06th 2020
seriously God bless whoever leaked this video.
May 07th 2020
      Heard their friend released it hoping it will clear them
May 10th 2020
I said to my wife when the video came out that now GA ...
May 07th 2020
      Exactly...ol “we will conduct a thorough investigation’ bullshit
May 07th 2020
I swear if I hear the words "Stand your ground"......
May 06th 2020
shaun king already fundraising to his pac.
May 06th 2020
Honestly at this point he must love being hated.
May 06th 2020
is he really disliked tho
May 07th 2020
      he had a weekly slot on Tom Joyner show.
May 07th 2020
      not universally.
May 07th 2020
Ya'll would have felt the same way about MLK
May 07th 2020
      Well this response is surely disingenuous as fuck.
May 07th 2020
           It's 100% sincere.
May 07th 2020
                RE: It's 100% sincere.
May 07th 2020
                lol where are you niggas crawling out from?
May 07th 2020
                OMFG, let me crawl into your brain and take a nap for an hour.
May 08th 2020
                     Sure
May 08th 2020
                          hi shaun, where'd the ferguson money go?
May 11th 2020
                          This is why dude goes off on people, & I understand it
May 11th 2020
                          man please. yay he amplifies issues. but he's a fucking thief
May 11th 2020
I just...No words. Too sad. We can’t even jog.
May 06th 2020
Anyone see this quote from the GBI director ?
May 07th 2020
They’ll claim some self-defense bs
May 07th 2020
The recused prosecutor already got you
May 07th 2020
      But Arbery isn't allowed to defend himself against the gun man?
May 07th 2020
           Oh believe me, that's not an argument I subscribe to
May 07th 2020
           yeah same thing with Trayvon
May 07th 2020
May 07th 2020
Fake news
May 07th 2020
RE: The Murder of Ahmed Arbrey (Swipe)
May 07th 2020
The criminal process is controlled by the District Attorney
May 07th 2020
and yet we wont stop hiring......Crump. SMH
May 07th 2020
They get the best lawyers they can afford and will take their case
May 07th 2020
You are giving me Time to Kill vibes.
May 08th 2020
they just got arrested.
May 07th 2020
Thank God for the activists
May 07th 2020
it low key bothered me that the protesters we're social distancing
May 08th 2020
      Here in NYC
May 08th 2020
I almost feel like this Sean Reed shit is a plant to distract from this....
May 08th 2020
Recently I said to my roommate
May 08th 2020
My assumption now is they are gonna go with Stand Your Ground
May 08th 2020
      If you point out it’s just like Trayvon they won’t win the case
May 08th 2020
And here comes the alt-right w/ the smear campaign
May 08th 2020
Oh god what are they fucking saying.
May 08th 2020
Who are you referring to?
May 08th 2020
Online I’ve seen the “he had a charge or 2 on his record”
May 08th 2020
Most of "those" place I check out are firmly against the two yokels
May 08th 2020
Here
May 08th 2020
      Thanks.
May 09th 2020
           Rogan's podcast is a huge platform for white supremacists
May 09th 2020
I mean...they managed to make Botham Jean into a monster
May 08th 2020
      Yeah this is the main thing they are running with
May 08th 2020
      I for sure am seeing a lot of 'well he reached for the gun...'
May 08th 2020
I just realized this murder happened in February and they’re just NOW....
May 08th 2020
Thank God for video. Decades and centuries of crimes like these
May 08th 2020
Armed 'Vigilante Group' incl. Police Deputy Threaten Black High Schooler
May 09th 2020
Another video shows Ahmed enter a house under construction
May 10th 2020
Wouldn’t it in theory not matter what he was doing in that house?
May 10th 2020
it’s still murder.. I made that clear in my post.
May 11th 2020
i really dislike the media
May 11th 2020
Because that isn't him.
May 12th 2020
RE: Another video shows Ahmed enter a house under construction
May 11th 2020
his family says it was him
May 11th 2020
I think that video actually helps the case against the murderers
May 11th 2020
I hope it helps his family
May 11th 2020
I explore when I run. It's part of the joy of running. You run a few mil...
May 11th 2020
yeah, by no means am I defending these murderers
May 11th 2020
no doubt, I follow what you're saying. I agree, the media be on some B.S...
May 11th 2020
There is this new house on my block I've been debating all month when to...
May 11th 2020
      They got us a long time ago fam
May 11th 2020
I am surprised at how many folks look at unfinished houses...
May 11th 2020
Yes. It’s pretty normal to look at a house under construction
May 11th 2020
We renovated our house (full gutting) and after we moved back in....
May 11th 2020
We used to do it as bored teenagers. Just being nosy
May 11th 2020
The homeowner had video camera inside the construction site
May 11th 2020
Yeah agreed. That’s still someone’s property
May 11th 2020
i figured most folks did it.
May 11th 2020
theres mad surveillance footage of him outside *and* inside the house.
May 11th 2020
People don’t steal from Construction sites where you guys are at?
May 11th 2020
Yeah.. people definitely steal from construction sites
May 11th 2020
people have the right to be suspicious.
May 11th 2020
People don’t steal from Construction sites on foot, in broad daylight,...
May 11th 2020
      this is where I am.
May 11th 2020
      There may be more videos of him on the property at night
May 12th 2020
           thats not him.
May 12th 2020
                Good to know
May 12th 2020
the family building that house hired a lawyer. the lawyer was on MSNBC.
May 12th 2020
      that's peace
May 12th 2020
      Yeah. I appreciate the owners releasing the video
May 12th 2020
      right. and to add just a little bit more sadness to this whole thing...
May 12th 2020
           It’s definitely THAT HOUSE now
May 12th 2020
           white tears, they just don't want people protesting outside their house....
May 12th 2020
      we shouldnt have to applaud people for just doing the right thing
May 12th 2020
The man behind the camera was interviewed by Cuomo
May 12th 2020
God there are so many mediocre older white men in positions of authority
May 12th 2020
Why do all these white people look related?
May 12th 2020
Roddie is going to need a better lawyer. Charged with murder
May 21st 2020
      Felony murder, something I just this week heard a podcast about.
May 21st 2020
Never thought I'd see the day that Brunswick would be in the news.
May 13th 2020
Savannah native here...all I can do is shake my head
May 18th 2020
Homeowner said Arbery was just getting water :-(
May 15th 2020
Homeowner released vids showing multiple people trespassed on the proper...
May 18th 2020
i think dude is tryna wash his hands of a conspiracy to commit murder.
May 18th 2020
      Aaaaah, there was a piece in the story I read about him inquiring about ...
May 18th 2020
      A neighbor keeping an eye out isn’t a bad thing
May 18th 2020
      If he went that route I would call BS.
May 18th 2020
           It’s the south. Everyone is packing down here.
May 18th 2020
      I think you may be adding this to the story...
May 18th 2020
           right?
May 18th 2020
           my bad he texted another neighbor to check on his crib
May 18th 2020
This timeline by NYTimes has some scary details.
May 18th 2020
The man behind the camera is now charged with murder
May 21st 2020
Based on that Cuomo interview dude seems like he would
May 21st 2020
RE: Based on that Cuomo interview dude seems like he would
May 21st 2020
Called it
Jun 04th 2020
good
May 21st 2020
Hold these Ls…
Jan 07th 2022
highlight of the day.
Jan 07th 2022
Thank god.
Jan 07th 2022
As someone who didn't follow this closely
Jan 07th 2022
Here’s some info on Bryan…
Jan 07th 2022
Thanks for that.
Jan 07th 2022
      Dude legit just got on some racist, neighborhood watch shit
Jan 07th 2022
           Wasn’t he passing the video around to their racist friends? Isn’t…
Jan 07th 2022
how do you just drive behind people chasing a Black man on foot?
Jan 09th 2022
Travis McMichael got that new joint out, today...."More Life (sentences)
Aug 08th 2022
i see some black celebs say there are no hate crime laws for black ppl.
Aug 08th 2022
      more and more, man...people just be saying stuff....
Aug 08th 2022
           we have these devices in our hands damn near 24 hrs/day
Aug 08th 2022
this BITCH asking to be kept in Federal custody...
Aug 08th 2022

Latina212
Member since Apr 28th 2003
8731 posts
Tue Apr-28-20 03:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This was heartbreaking "
In response to Reply # 0

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Wed May-06-20 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "^"
In response to Reply # 1

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

navajo joe
6569 posts
Tue May-05-20 05:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I'm upping this in light of the release of the footage of his murder"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not watching the footage or posting it here but this is an important story and and a crime that actually DID happen.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

navajo joe
6569 posts
Tue May-05-20 05:48 PM

3. "Ida B. Wells wins posthumous Pulitzer Prize for her work on lynching"
In response to Reply # 0

This seems as fitting a place to put this as any.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-ida-wells-pulitzer-citation-20200505-rlt4ujeeenf7vi5z6qt7e4pmha-story.html

Ida B. Wells receives Pulitzer Prize citation: ‘The only thing she really had was the truth’

Ida B. Wells, the investigative journalist, civil rights crusader and legendary Chicagoan, received a Pulitzer Prize citation as part of this year’s annual awards.

The honor, announced Monday by the board of the Pulitzer Prizes, is a testament to Wells’ long-standing work and contributions to the country, said Michelle Duster, the great-granddaughter of Wells.

“The only thing she really had was the truth,” Duster said Monday, noting that Wells’ life was not easy and admirers should not minimize what she overcame. “And she used journalism as a tool to not just report what was going on, but she used her skill as a journalist, to the best of her ability, to impact social change.”

Wells believed that if she could get the truth to the public, she could change attitudes and laws, Duster said. “So she had a very specific purpose for her journalism. And it’s amazing that what she did is appreciated today.”

The news was still sinking in a few hours after the announcement, Duster said, but it was “no small thing.”

The board awarded the posthumous special citation for Wells’ “outstanding and courageous reporting on the horrific and vicious violence against African Americans during the era of lynching.”

As a journalist, Wells, also known by Wells-Barnett, reported on the racist lynchings of black men, sorting through statistics and uncovering fabrications.

She was born into slavery in 1862 in Mississippi but built a towering legacy as an activist, leader of women’s suffrage and political strategist in Chicago, where she also ran a settlement house on the South Side to assist African Americans with housing and social services.

“I learned at an early age that my great-grandmother, Ida B. Wells, was a force to be reckoned with,” Duster wrote in a Tribune flashback.

But Wells’ legacy was long overlooked. Historians, activists and ordinary people fought for years to shed light on Wells’ stories, eventually seeing their efforts pay off with renewed prominence. In Chicago, Wells’ name ended up on a downtown thoroughfare. The New York Times published her obituary as part of its “Overlooked” series.

Duster said she has noticed the resurgent interest in Wells’ work, including from journalists looking to Wells’ techniques, “who are trying to cut through some of the noise.”

The second edition of Wells’ autobiography will be released next week, Duster said, with a new foreword by Eve Ewing and an afterword from Duster. She’s also hopeful a monument in Wells’ honor, designed by Richard Hunt, will happen this year.

At the 2019 renaming of Congress Parkway in Wells’ honor, the Tribune reported that journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones — also a Pulitzer recipient Monday for “The 1619 Project” — reflected on Wells’ legacy.

“Can you imagine a black woman at that time, going into territory where a black man or woman had literally been strung up and lynched and asking questions about why this was and what happened?” Hannah-Jones said. “She did this because she understood that the people that committed the murders wrote the reports.”

Hannah-Jones noted that, at the time of Wells’ death in 1931, “she was the most famous black woman in the world.”

“And yet it takes until 2019 to get a street named in her honor in the city where she is buried. I think that speaks to the way we have always erased the contributions of black women in this country,” Hannah-Jones said. “It is Ida’s time.”

The Pulitzer citation comes with a bequest of at least $50,000, with recipients to be announced at a later date.

Duster said she hopes the funds honor Wells by helping others, especially the next generation of leaders.

The 2020 Pulitzer Prize winners were announced Monday afternoon by Pulitzer Administrator Dana Canedy in an online video stream. The complete list of winners is available here.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed May-06-20 08:25 AM

4. "now the governor is getting involved..."
In response to Reply # 0

aka...nothing would have happened if the video hadn’t gotten out. It’s been available to law enforcement since February 23rd and Glynn County police didn’t see fit to charge these assholes, then.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Wed May-06-20 08:57 AM

5. "Those pesky videos "
In response to Reply # 4

always getting in the way of covering up a good ole fashioned hate crime.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Thu May-07-20 12:40 PM

27. "seriously God bless whoever leaked this video."
In response to Reply # 5

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Sun May-10-20 10:20 AM

60. "Heard their friend released it hoping it will clear them"
In response to Reply # 27

which is odd as fuck IMO.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24413 posts
Thu May-07-20 10:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "I said to my wife when the video came out that now GA ..."
In response to Reply # 4
Thu May-07-20 10:22 AM by Brew

has to pretend to care about black people.

What a fucking bunch of heinous hicks.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Thu May-07-20 11:14 AM

17. "Exactly...ol “we will conduct a thorough investigation’ bullshit"
In response to Reply # 13

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed May-06-20 09:09 AM

6. "I swear if I hear the words "Stand your ground"......"
In response to Reply # 0

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed May-06-20 12:14 PM

8. "shaun king already fundraising to his pac."
In response to Reply # 0

lightworks
Member since Feb 17th 2006
5818 posts
Wed May-06-20 09:07 PM

10. "Honestly at this point he must love being hated."
In response to Reply # 8

If I’m him and I want to make money and not get all the vitriol I’m making someone else the famous name while I’m the shadow figure making all the loot in the background.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Thu May-07-20 09:24 AM

11. "is he really disliked tho"
In response to Reply # 10

or is that just some twitter shit? i cant call it with Talcum X

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Thu May-07-20 09:36 AM

12. "he had a weekly slot on Tom Joyner show. "
In response to Reply # 11

so I think he as well liked by enough people.

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu May-07-20 12:38 PM

26. "not universally."
In response to Reply # 11

plenty of people/celebs still big him up.

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Thu May-07-20 10:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Ya'll would have felt the same way about MLK"
In response to Reply # 8

Dude sent out an email saying he's working directly with that guy's family and yall out here creating funny names and passing it off as activism.

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

lightworks
5818 posts
Thu May-07-20 11:00 AM

16. "Well this response is surely disingenuous as fuck. "
In response to Reply # 15

Completely ignoring the fact that context matters here, and his millions of shady dealings prior to this one directly plays a role in why people respond in the way that they do.

But you already know this so not sure why you are acting so brand new.

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Thu May-07-20 11:23 AM

18. "It's 100% sincere."
In response to Reply # 16

And the only reason yall ride for MLK now is because white supremacy has deemed him acceptable. Yall take your cues from people who hate you.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22256 posts
Thu May-07-20 11:27 AM

19. "RE: It's 100% sincere."
In response to Reply # 18

https://media.giphy.com/media/WtZHeyVWEBHgs/giphy.gif

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu May-07-20 12:38 PM

25. "lol where are you niggas crawling out from?"

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:53 PM

49. "OMFG, let me crawl into your brain and take a nap for an hour. "

>And the only reason yall ride for MLK now is because white
>supremacy has deemed him acceptable. Yall take your cues from
>people who hate you.

Can you please explain this? like...are you serious bro?

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Fri May-08-20 04:41 PM

55. "Sure"
In response to Reply # 49

Shaun King has done nothing but loudly advocate for black causes for the past decade and because of that he's been vilified by the white establishment. Black people have bought into that have chosen to tear him down too. Ya'll only rock with the chosen spokespeople. Niggas like Don Lemon and Van Jones.

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
64. "hi shaun, where'd the ferguson money go?"
In response to Reply # 55

why'd you send cease & desist letters to the activist on the ground that asked where the money went?

why'd you try to do other activists who started asking?

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Mon May-11-20 10:07 AM

78. "This is why dude goes off on people, & I understand it"
In response to Reply # 64

Because people just yell shit like "where'd the money go!?!"

And they offer no actual evidence of wrongdoing. But in this age, whoever can yell the loudest thinks they're right.

Anyway, here's a report you won't bother to read:

https://medium.com/@shaunkingfinancialreivewboard/shaun-king-financial-report-318661d97125

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:25 AM

68. "man please. yay he amplifies issues. but he's a fucking thief"
In response to Reply # 55

a thief several times over.

lightworks
5818 posts
Wed May-06-20 09:05 PM

9. "I just...No words. Too sad. We can’t even jog."
In response to Reply # 0

SMH.

Brew
24413 posts
Thu May-07-20 10:22 AM

14. "Anyone see this quote from the GBI director ?"
In response to Reply # 0

"I advised him that we we would hit the ground running this morning. We've now assigned this case to three of our experienced, supervisory-level agents," GBI Director Vic Reynolds said.

Poor choice of words, dickhead. Or maybe that was the point.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu May-07-20 12:01 PM

20. "They’ll claim some self-defense bs "
In response to Reply # 0

Bec part of the video looks like Ahmed kinda charges at the shooter. Which is obviously justified on his part but I worry how some snake attorney will spin that

navajo joe
6569 posts
Thu May-07-20 12:10 PM

21. "The recused prosecutor already got you"
In response to Reply # 20

‘...at the point Arbery grabbed the shotgun, under Georgia law, McMichael was allowed to use deadly force to protect himself.’”

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu May-07-20 12:32 PM

23. "But Arbery isn't allowed to defend himself against the gun man?"
In response to Reply # 21

It's true that he turned and went after the guy with the gun. But it is also true that the guy with the gun was the initial aggressor.

I see this as a murder in the commission of a felony type thing. They were trying to unlawfully detain dude. Assaulted him by brandishing their weapons. And as a result shot and killed Arbery

navajo joe
6569 posts
Thu May-07-20 12:49 PM

28. "Oh believe me, that's not an argument I subscribe to "
In response to Reply # 23

I'm just saying the cracker is already on the case of justifying this

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Thu May-07-20 05:33 PM

29. "yeah same thing with Trayvon"
In response to Reply # 23

the guy with the gun who's hunting him gets to stand his ground and the guy being hunted is somehow the attacker

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu May-07-20 12:28 PM

22. "..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-07-20 12:36 PM by Reeq

looks like the pic is inaccurate.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu May-07-20 12:35 PM

24. "Fake news"
In response to Reply # 22

sersey
Member since Jan 03rd 2005
934 posts
Thu May-07-20 05:40 PM

30. "RE: The Murder of Ahmed Arbrey (Swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

This post is about one thing Ive been pondering. The family's ability to get justice. The facts of the case matter, yes. And to you and me the killers are clearly guilty. But when has that ever stopped the justice system from failing us time and time again.In a court room there are tons of variables that play well or play badl with a jury. Thats what I wanna focus on.

I've seen the Arbery family's attorney in media the past few days making his plea for the immediate arrest of the killers and while I agree, the cynic in me immediately thinks....

neither the DA or the white citizens of Brunswick, GA give a shit what your black ass thinks. Then I thought, why dont more black families seek out White attorneys that have a strong record with wrongful death/civil rights cases with racial undertones.

We know the defendants are going to paint Ahmaud as the aggressor. And the way to make a strong case for Ahmaud is to Humanize him. The person doing the humanizing in the court of public opinion (tv/media) and in the courtroom should look like the majority of america (White). But they can also serve as a strong ally for the family of the slain, as well as the best messenger.

Why isnt that the strategy in more of these cases??? A black attorney didnt help Trayvon Martin's case or some of the others where Benjamin Crump was legal counsel.

Sad to say, but a black man representing a dead black man doesnt do much for a reluctant white jury. You wanna pull at their heart strings then get their attention with someone that looks like them.

Thoughts???

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Thu May-07-20 08:48 PM

33. "The criminal process is controlled by the District Attorney"
In response to Reply # 30

Attorneys like Ben Crump and Lee Merritt are handling cases on a civil basis.

They don't influence the criminal process, except for perhaps bringing attention to these matters and using public opinion to influence the initial arrest/charges.

The vast majority of the civil matters handled on behalf of these families have garnered 7-figure settlements, so they've been successful in that regard.

Of course, most of the defendants have been municipalities (aka your tax dollars) so those settlements are possible. This case won't be the same since the defendants are civilians. (Note that Trayvon's family go a settlement from the Homeowner's Association).

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6024 posts
Thu May-07-20 08:56 PM

34. "and yet we wont stop hiring......Crump. SMH"

if my child got murdered after Trayvon, im hiring the guy that got Zimmerman off

its not that deep
its not that complicated
we make it complicated

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Thu May-07-20 09:30 PM

35. "They get the best lawyers they can afford and will take their case"

Unfortunately, the families are almost never affluent and the trials have long odds (particularly against police officers).

A white lawyer might even be more aware of how long the odds are if they're in some of those white spaces where the judges, DA's and other lawyers are more likely to share their racial perspectives freely.

I think the families generally get decent lawyers but really good lawyers (white or black) don't want that likely "L" on their record, even if the families could afford them.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

lightworks
5818 posts
Fri May-08-20 09:11 AM

38. "You are giving me Time to Kill vibes. "

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu May-07-20 07:28 PM

31. "they just got arrested."
In response to Reply # 0

crazy how fast they act under public pressure when that video gets out.

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Thu May-07-20 07:45 PM

32. "Thank God for the activists"
In response to Reply # 0

The local activists who are pounding the pavement and the national activists who have the platform to bring widespread attention these acts.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri May-08-20 09:04 AM

37. "it low key bothered me that the protesters we're social distancing"
In response to Reply # 32

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:53 PM

42. "Here in NYC"
In response to Reply # 37

the local police and going around and roughing up black and brown folk that supposedly aren't observing social distancing.

I can understand perfectly well why the protesters in this instance are observing the six feet rule; the local powers that be could use that six foot ordinance as an excuse to change to conversation to them not socially distancing instead of focusing on the actual wrong-doing.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri May-08-20 09:02 AM

36. "I almost feel like this Sean Reed shit is a plant to distract from this...."
In response to Reply # 0

case

lightworks
5818 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:38 PM

39. "Recently I said to my roommate "
In response to Reply # 0

“I bet there weren’t even any break-ins when he was murdered...or watch it’s gonna some light skin dude that looked nothing like him.”

So heartbreaking to me that I was spot on with the first one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_7H9gEjVva/?igshid=18r10mnr8u1h7

lightworks
5818 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:46 PM

40. "My assumption now is they are gonna go with Stand Your Ground "
In response to Reply # 39

or try to use that defense if that particular law isn’t on the books in Georgia, since they can’t use the “he looked like someone who robbed houses” excuse anymore.

What’s interesting is I’ve already seen people say Arbery turned at one point and he tried to grab the gun and at that point the white dude could argue he was in fear of his life.

Hopefully whoever represents the Arbery family will point out that just like Trayvon trying to whoop Zimmerman’s ass before he shot him you’re completely allowed to fight for your life when you are being hunted for no reason at all, and that shouldn’t at all be seen as justification for murder.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Fri May-08-20 01:28 PM

44. "If you point out it’s just like Trayvon they won’t win the case"
In response to Reply # 40

Having video helps.. but they will probably get off since he was fighting for his life.. which will be used to say he was attacking them.

We are supposed to sit back and let these dudes do what they will when approaching with guns.

navajo joe
6569 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:52 PM

41. "And here comes the alt-right w/ the smear campaign"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-08-20 12:55 PM by navajo joe

Remember the famous podcaster was that had N*o on their platform a few months ago?

Because I do.

Brew
24413 posts
Fri May-08-20 01:16 PM

43. "Oh god what are they fucking saying."
In response to Reply # 41

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:05 PM

45. "Who are you referring to?"

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:08 PM

46. "Online I’ve seen the “he had a charge or 2 on his record”"
In response to Reply # 45

I also saw someone reference that he wasn’t wearing running shoes and dropped a hammer.

They are doing the typical shit to cast doubt on his jogging claim and painting him as a suspect.

It’s Trayvon all over again.

“Breaking into houses”

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:22 PM

47. "Most of "those" place I check out are firmly against the two yokels"
In response to Reply # 46

But there are a few very loud voices that are dropping these arguments. "He was breaking into houses", "he has a shoplifting charge", "what was he doing so far away from his neighborhood", "he should have run into the woods", "just the good ole boys, never meanin no harm"

>I also saw someone reference that he wasn’t wearing running
>shoes and dropped a hammer.
>
>They are doing the typical shit to cast doubt on his jogging
>claim and painting him as a suspect.
>
>It’s Trayvon all over again.
>
>“Breaking into houses”

navajo joe
6569 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:56 PM

51. "Here"
In response to Reply # 45

https://twitter.com/RacismDog/status/1258782131377049600?s=20

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Sat May-09-20 03:28 AM

56. "Thanks."
In response to Reply # 51

I did some web searching to see which podcaster you were referring to. I lost any and all interest in Rogan when he said he as willing to vote for Trump because of how disappointed he was with Biden, so I didn't know about that Ngo cat. It must be nice to be as rich as Rogan and have the comfort to straddle so many questionable as fuck political positions.

With the UFC coming back amid this whole COVID mess, I'm close to completely washing my hands with the UFC as well, but I suppose that's a conversation for another post and not this one.

navajo joe
6569 posts
Sat May-09-20 07:14 AM

57. "Rogan's podcast is a huge platform for white supremacists"
In response to Reply # 56

He's given platform to Ngo, McInness, Jones, Yannapolis, Shapiro and more and mixed them right in with the legitimate scientist/thinkers and famous actors. Pushing their bullshit out to MILLIONS of listeners many of which are easily susceptible to such ideas. He's basically the Youtube algorithm.

The whole set-up is perfect: Do you like basically anything (comedy, mma, sports, drugs, movies, science, conspiracies, etc)? You do?! Well, try a little white supremacy just to see how it fits! See, they aren't so bad! Then, if you watch his show on Youtube you get all kinds of alt-right/alt-light/incel suggested to you.

People forget Rogan was a guest on his friend of 20 years, Alex Jones' show (along w/ his comedy buddy and co-star of FX's 'Dave' Andrew Santino) just over a year ago. 6 months later people are clambering over who he is going to vote for? They were surprised when he outright refused to have Elizabeth Warren or Joe Biden on his show while he has continually brought on the who's who of the alt-right?

Shit, Rogan acolyte and comedian Theo Von had Tommie Lahren on his show two months back. Prior to that, he's had fellow Rogan guests right-wing uber-mensch Jocko Willink and alt-light intellectual heavyweight Jordan Peterson. Theo Von also did a multiple week bracket on who would win if the states fought each other on his podcast late last year.

I also agree on the UFC, Jacare and his two cornermen tested positive late yesterday. I wasn't even excited about this card and honestly, I hope it becomes a disaster. I stopped paying for any of their product after White showed up at the RNC. I can do a whole other piece about racism/white supremacy in the UFC and its fandom but I'll spare you.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:50 PM

48. "I mean...they managed to make Botham Jean into a monster"

"look at 'em just sitting ice cream on his sofa like a sunavabitch"

like...bro.

I don't know why I felt some level of shock that they won't accept this one.

Well...ok, SOME of them have accepted it but it comes with a caveat like, "Oh yeah, that killing WAS fucked up and wrong, they should go to jail...but maaaaaaaybe the race angle is being played up by the media, shit happens you know"

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Fri May-08-20 03:08 PM

52. "Yeah this is the main thing they are running with"
In response to Reply # 48

Lots of references to Chicago for some reason.

>
>Well...ok, SOME of them have accepted it but it comes with a
>caveat like, "Oh yeah, that killing WAS fucked up and wrong,
>they should go to jail...but maaaaaaaybe the race angle is
>being played up by the media, shit happens you know"

lightworks
5818 posts
Fri May-08-20 03:11 PM

53. "I for sure am seeing a lot of 'well he reached for the gun...'"
In response to Reply # 48

Which as I've said in this post already is such BS...

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri May-08-20 02:56 PM

50. "I just realized this murder happened in February and they’re just NOW...."
In response to Reply # 0

being arrested

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Fri May-08-20 03:31 PM

54. "Thank God for video. Decades and centuries of crimes like these "
In response to Reply # 0

Going on with no justice is at least challenged by modern technology

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

navajo joe
6569 posts
Sat May-09-20 11:02 AM

58. "Armed 'Vigilante Group' incl. Police Deputy Threaten Black High Schooler"
In response to Reply # 0

15 crackers, including a police officer, try to invade a home in Rocky Mount, NC and threaten family over missing white girl who was later found safe. Two of the men were armed. Also, it was a case of mistaken identity.

The officer has been fired and charged with forcible trespass, breaking and entering, and willful failure to discharge duties

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1258887843738521600

Approximately 15 white men, including an individual who appeared to be an officer, gathered on the front porch of a home belonging to a black family in Rocky Point, North Carolina on Sunday night demanding entrance. At least two of the men were allegedly armed.

The group was operating under the belief that an individual named Josiah, a student at Topsail High School in Pender County, was a resident at the home. Allegedly, the men wanted to speak to Josiah concerning the whereabouts of a girl that had gone missing that evening. Among the members of the alleged group were the girl's father and an off-duty bailiff for the New Hanover County Sheriff's Department.

However, the group had the wrong house. Living in the home were Dameon Shephard, a high school senior at Laney High School in New Hanover County, and his mother. Although allegedly being told repeatedly that no one named Josiah lived at that address, one of the men put his foot in the door and demanded to be let inside. The Shephards' lawn had a sign with Dameon's name on it, celebrating his upcoming graduation from high school.

"As soon as I open the door I see these guys in front of me and they're holding guns and it looks like there's one in a police uniform," Shephard told reporters on Thursday.

"They were all civilians," said Shephard's mother, Monica, on Thursday. "The only one that was in a uniform was the one that was in the center of the door. Everyone else was civilians."

Two members of the group allegedly held firearms, including an assault rifle and a shotgun.

Neighbors called the Pender County Sheriff's Department (PCSD) and many of the individuals allegedly in the group spoke with the Shephard family outside. However, no investigation was carried out.

According to a letter sent by Wilmington attorney Jim Lea, III to District Attorney Benjamin David, the arrival of PCSD Captain B.A. Sanders yielded the same result. After Sanders spoke with the deputies and the Shephard family, "no arrests were made, no charges were filed, and no action was taken by the Pender County Sheriff's Department despite the repeated demands and request of not only of the Shephards, but the entire neighborhood."

The Shephards are one of only two black families in the neighborhood, which is predominantly white.

"We can't have vigilante groups just wandering around our county, intimidating people with guns," Lea told the Port City Daily on Thursday. "Nor can we have our police officers in a role that they shouldn't be in joining this group."

Newsweek reached out to Jim Lea's office and the New Hanover Sheriff's Department for comment. This story will be updated with any response.

On the following day, Captain Sanders allegedly returned to the Shephard home. Sanders allegedly told the Shephards that arresting anyone involved in the incident would be complicated. According to Lea's letter, "the Sheriff's Department had not taken any names." However, Sanders indicated that he would "look into it."

READ MORE
81 Percent of NYPD's COVID-19 Summonses Were Issued to Blacks and Latinos
U.K. Police Force Taser Man in Front of Screaming Child
Crowd Demands Resignation of District Attorneys in Ahmaud Arbery Killing
Police Officer Allegedly Caught Joking About Shooting Black Man

"Nothing further has been heard from any law enforcement official," Lea added.

"The individual named 'Josiah had apparently lived next door with his mother for some period of time," Lea wrote, "but had left his residence in the neighborhood approximately one month prior."

Lekayda Kempisty, the missing girl, was found safe in New Hanover County on Monday.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Sun May-10-20 10:19 AM

59. "Another video shows Ahmed enter a house under construction "
In response to Reply # 0

or at least it appears to be him. He leaves 6 minutes later and runs down the street.

so I’m not sure he was jogging. I will admit I often walk up on houses for sale that I know are empty and loom through the window.

He definitely was hunted down.

but I want people to realize this is how it starts with us focusing on jogging and then once that shit is debunked they start bleeding more info that makes us look like we don’t have the facts straight. I hope they don’t continue pushing the jogging narrative.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/like-you-were-hunting-an-animal-ahmad-arberys-family-reacts-video-his-death/MHZSLUQWDFDBHA4USWMVDPQ52A/

lightworks
5818 posts
Sun May-10-20 11:56 AM

61. "Wouldn’t it in theory not matter what he was doing in that house?"
In response to Reply # 59

Ok let’s say he was casing the house (I for the record am not convinced it is him and also we don’t even know why if it is him he’s in the house) and planned to steal from this empty house later or something.

That still gives the father and son murder duo justifiable cause to shoot him or to try to do a private citizen’s arrest.

First we need to verify that that even is him and why he was at the house but above all we have to keep on the fact that it doesn’t matter if all that really happened because they still are in no way justified in murdering him.

Don’t fall into the trap of justifying horrible things with random stuff found before it happened.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon May-11-20 05:50 AM

62. "it’s still murder.. I made that clear in my post. "
In response to Reply # 61

Don’t gloss over that fact.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Mon May-11-20 06:04 AM

63. "i really dislike the media"
Mon May-11-20 06:13 AM by Crash Bandacoot

what was he going to steal? what about the video of the father at the frontlines of
a klan rally? why is that video not being shown?

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Tue May-12-20 12:12 PM

93. "Because that isn't him."
In response to Reply # 63
Tue May-12-20 12:14 PM by Monkey Genius

It was fake, and I'm surprised by how widely spread and accepted that shit was. No evidence beyond a caption and a blurry side view of a random white man with a goatee.

Just like whichever random white man they found hugging John Kemp. More fake shit that got spread around.

Our cause might be more righteous, but we believe lies just as fast as them other folks.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

eclipsedInI
Member since Jul 29th 2002
92867 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
65. "RE: Another video shows Ahmed enter a house under construction "

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/homeowner-linked-to-ahmaud-arbery-case-said-residence-was-never-robbed/

CherNic
37156 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:17 AM

66. "his family says it was him"

I honestly haven't been too invested in this story b/c we KNOW how the shit ends. White guy on CNN this morning said 'many of us have done this' re: looking at construction/empty property, but we know the rules are different.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:20 AM

67. "I think that video actually helps the case against the murderers"
Mon May-11-20 08:21 AM by bentagain

It shows 2 police units...2...on that same street in the timeframe presented

Clearly, there were other options

...even if the ASSumption by the murderers were true...

It also shows another 'neighbor' allegedly calling 911

I'm not sure if those 2 police cruisers were dispatched for that call

...but again...

it shows the response from a neighbor

ASSumedly resulting in police cruisers being dispatched

...compared to...

2 murderers arming themselves and pursuing

Looks more like a case for premeditation

I actually think that 2nd video reinforces the case, IMO.

Did people actually watch the video in your post?

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:30 AM

70. "I hope it helps his family"
In response to Reply # 67

my fear is it shows he wasn’t jogging which will lead to more holes in the story.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:28 AM

69. "I explore when I run. It's part of the joy of running. You run a few mil..."

hit a destination, explore a bit to cool down, then venture out again....

A house under construction....
I've done this....I do this....Why? Because I'm an architecture & construction nerd. I'll circle a block 3 times just to get a good look at a house under construction...
If anybody was gonna steal anything from a house under construction...they wouldn't be on FOOT.

You right though, media needs to do better WAY better....they just present "facts" like dangling participles.... smh...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:36 AM

71. "yeah, by no means am I defending these murderers"
In response to Reply # 69

and I look at houses all the time if they appear empty and have for sale signs or are under construction.

Just want folks to know the story may change based on new evidence and I know how new facts are used to poke holes in the initial story.

It’s almost like it’s part of the media playbook.

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:49 AM

73. "no doubt, I follow what you're saying. I agree, the media be on some B.S..."
In response to Reply # 71

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:37 AM

72. "There is this new house on my block I've been debating all month when to..."
In response to Reply # 69

go peek in the window. It's for sale, really pretty outside and am interested to see how they did the interior.

They already got us if we are discussing whether it means anything that the dude stopped here.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon May-11-20 08:59 AM

74. "They got us a long time ago fam"
In response to Reply # 72

and they will continue to get us because it’s America.

lightworks
5818 posts
Mon May-11-20 09:08 AM

75. "I am surprised at how many folks look at unfinished houses..."
Mon May-11-20 09:08 AM by lightworks

Many folks on twitter were saying they do that all the time, even my own mom said she’s looked at a house under construction because she was curious about the floor plans.

I just found it odd that so many people do this and don’t find it weird but it made me happy because if so many people don’t find it weird then that will help when inevitably they try to present this fact to the jury as a reasonable reason for why the murderers decided to hunt him down and hopefully just like all the twitter folks the people on the jury won’t find it weird either and will reject their attempt at justification.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon May-11-20 09:11 AM

76. "Yes. It’s pretty normal to look at a house under construction"
In response to Reply # 75

Mostly it’s just being bossy or seeing how the layout of the house is and fantasizing about what you would do with the space.

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Mon May-11-20 10:05 AM

77. "We renovated our house (full gutting) and after we moved back in...."

All these random neighbors would mention in passing how they just LOVED the layout.
We never did ANY tours of the place.....
No way to have seen or known the layout unless you'd physically been INSIDE....

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Mon May-11-20 10:10 AM

79. "We used to do it as bored teenagers. Just being nosy"

I wouldn't think to do it today. It seems illegal (maybe trespassing?).
But definitely not a major violation

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon May-11-20 10:16 AM

80. "The homeowner had video camera inside the construction site "
In response to Reply # 79
Mon May-11-20 10:17 AM by legsdiamond

They said Ahmed didn’t take anything.

He also had on running shoes.

I saw somewhere they were trying to say he had boots on and wasn’t really jogging.

One of the times it’s good to have these video cams on these houses. I know some people say you shouldn’t cooperate with police if you have a Ring doorbell but in this instance it’s a good thing IMO.

Amritsar
32093 posts
Mon May-11-20 10:32 AM

83. "Yeah agreed. That’s still someone’s property "

No one lives there, sure, but that’s weird to me

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Mon May-11-20 10:53 AM

85. "i figured most folks did it."

<--- Big Baller World Order

Reeq
16347 posts
Mon May-11-20 10:19 AM

81. "theres mad surveillance footage of him outside *and* inside the house."
Mon May-11-20 10:34 AM by Reeq

none of it showing him stealing anything (not that that warrants a death sentence anyway).

no crime committed. no reason to engage him.

we already give police way too much leeway to kill people in response to the mere *presumption* of wrongdoing. no way in hell should citizens get that privilege as well.

Amritsar
32093 posts
Mon May-11-20 10:30 AM

82. "People don’t steal from Construction sites where you guys are at?"

Cuz where I am they have security overnight for the construction site. A guard and or cameras. Cuz folks steals the piping.

This is obviously not at alllllll to say Ahmed was doing anything other than running. Just tryna give more background as to why someone would see this as suspicious.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon May-11-20 10:43 AM

84. "Yeah.. people definitely steal from construction sites"
In response to Reply # 82

especially tools and piping.

Which is why it’s good the video doesn’t show him stealing (not that it would justify a murder)

Reeq
16347 posts
Mon May-11-20 10:55 AM

86. "people have the right to be suspicious."

they dont have the right to hunt people down based on that suspicion.

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Mon May-11-20 12:32 PM

87. "People don’t steal from Construction sites on foot, in broad daylight,..."

running gear....

And if they did, it isn't a valid reason to kill them.
It isn't a valid reason to posse up and hunt them down and kill them.
It isn't a valid reason to be part of the conversation surrounding this murder right now.

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Mon May-11-20 12:36 PM

88. "this is where I am."
In response to Reply # 87

If dude didn't back a work truck up to the site then there's really no reason to expect he was committing a crime.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Tue May-12-20 10:54 AM

89. "There may be more videos of him on the property at night"
In response to Reply # 87

I’m not going to link it because it’s YouTube and I can’t find any other sources yet so it might be bunk.

and no, he didn’t deserve to be be executed.

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue May-12-20 11:12 AM

90. "thats not him."
In response to Reply # 89

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Tue May-12-20 11:33 AM

91. "Good to know"
In response to Reply # 90

Held of on the video because I didn’t see it anywhere else besides YouTube.

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Tue May-12-20 11:57 AM

92. "the family building that house hired a lawyer. the lawyer was on MSNBC."
Tue May-12-20 12:23 PM by PROMO

the lawyer said that:

- the family has no affiliation/relationship with the killers
- though they've had people on video in their construction site at various times during the build, you couldn't tell if the prior incidences are Arbery or not, and even though you could during the most recent incident, nothing was ever stolen as far as they could tell AND it doesn't appear that Arbery took anything during this most recent video
- even if Arbery did steal from their clients site, that's no justification to kill Arbery (the family said that). if he was stealing the police should have been called and let the police deal with it
- they put out the video of him going in the site and NOT stealing in the hope that it vindicates (my word) Arbery and helps the killers be held responsible

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41496 posts
Tue May-12-20 12:18 PM

94. "that's peace"
In response to Reply # 92

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Tue May-12-20 12:25 PM

95. "Yeah. I appreciate the owners releasing the video "

to show he didn’t take anything.

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Tue May-12-20 12:33 PM

96. "right. and to add just a little bit more sadness to this whole thing..."
In response to Reply # 95

(OBVIOUSLY the murder of Arbery is a tragedy and should be the main focus)

...the lawyer said the people building the house were an older-ish couple who were building their retirement home where they hoped to live out the rest of their life in peace and relaxation. now, because of how their construction has played a role in this whole tragedy, they are thinking * IF * they finish the build they'll never live there and they might just bag the whole thing because it's just too sad and stressful.

i hope they fry those killers.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Tue May-12-20 12:39 PM

97. "It’s definitely THAT HOUSE now"
In response to Reply # 96
Tue May-12-20 12:39 PM by legsdiamond

I wouldn’t want to live around those people anyways..

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue May-12-20 02:15 PM

102. "white tears, they just don't want people protesting outside their house...."
In response to Reply # 96

when the killers get off.

Reeq
16347 posts
Tue May-12-20 12:49 PM

98. "we shouldnt have to applaud people for just doing the right thing"

but small rays of light like this restore a little bit of my faith in this country.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Tue May-12-20 01:06 PM

99. "The man behind the camera was interviewed by Cuomo"
In response to Reply # 0

He's currently a witness, not a suspect. And I thought he would be free and clear. But with this guy as his lawyer....he goin to jail lol.

He starts off by saying his client is stupid. Dude should have stole on his lawyer right then and there lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qQMr6ZDeOs

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Tue May-12-20 01:19 PM

100. "God there are so many mediocre older white men in positions of authority"
In response to Reply # 99

That lawyer is awful!

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Tue May-12-20 01:29 PM

101. "Why do all these white people look related? "

They all have close squinty eyes...

must be the GA water

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu May-21-20 05:33 PM

116. "Roddie is going to need a better lawyer. Charged with murder"
Thu May-21-20 05:34 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Brew
24413 posts
Thu May-21-20 08:40 PM

121. "Felony murder, something I just this week heard a podcast about."
In response to Reply # 116

It's on the podcast 5-4, which is about - in their words - "how much the supreme court sucks"

The hosts are sorta corny but also funny and super sharp. I recommend it in general, but this week's ep "Tison v Arizona" is about exactly this subject, felony murder. i.e. whether someone at the scene of a murder, but who didn't take part, should be held liable (and specifically in the Tison case, whether or not they should be able to be put to death for it).

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed May-13-20 09:28 PM

103. "Never thought I'd see the day that Brunswick would be in the news."
In response to Reply # 0

That's my hometown. I spent the first 20 years of my life there before I finally moved. Couldn't wait to move. Always felt oppressive to me. As a kid I was ok but as I got older, I couldn't take it (it didn't help that I was exposed to traveling to different states and cities for my entire childhood). I couldn't WAIT to move.

That this bullcrap happened in Brunswick is not surprising to me at all.

Since 1976

CherNic
37156 posts
Mon May-18-20 08:51 AM

106. "Savannah native here...all I can do is shake my head"
In response to Reply # 103

lightworks
5818 posts
Fri May-15-20 07:38 PM

104. "Homeowner said Arbery was just getting water :-("
In response to Reply # 0

https://t.co/IEScQRDfgb?amp=1

navajo joe
6569 posts
Mon May-18-20 08:47 AM

105. "Homeowner released vids showing multiple people trespassed on the proper..."
In response to Reply # 0

Shoutout to the homeowner for shutting these crackers' shit down again.

Reeq
16347 posts
Mon May-18-20 09:11 AM

107. "i think dude is tryna wash his hands of a conspiracy to commit murder."
In response to Reply # 105

they released texts between the owner and the local pd where they told him to call the one killer (former cop) if someone comes into the house.

and dude did that on at least one occasion when his motion capture camera alerted him that someone was in there.

im not sure if dude is being valiant or just trying to create some legal distance between him and the killers. but i will take it either way.

navajo joe
6569 posts
Mon May-18-20 09:14 AM

108. "Aaaaah, there was a piece in the story I read about him inquiring about ..."
In response to Reply # 107

And I don't think I put it together that he'd reached out to one of the men.

Welp, I'll take it too

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon May-18-20 09:30 AM

109. "A neighbor keeping an eye out isn’t a bad thing"

I wonder how well he knew these guys.

Cause I damn sure would be like “I ain’t know these dudes were patrolling with guns”

lightworks
5818 posts
Mon May-18-20 09:41 AM

110. "If he went that route I would call BS."
In response to Reply # 109

Can’t have a former cop be on the lookout for your under construction house and not think they might be packing lol.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon May-18-20 10:50 AM

113. "It’s the south. Everyone is packing down here. "
In response to Reply # 110

but that doesn’t mean you expect them to give chase and hunt someone down.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Mon May-18-20 09:43 AM

111. "I think you may be adding this to the story..."

This would muddy the waters because it could imply that the McDaniels had permission to watch over the house (or that they may reasonably assume they had permission).

But from the CNN articles I've seen, the police mentioned they could contact McDaniel, but the homeowner never did. And in interviews they said they have no connection to them at all.
Did you see something different?

>
>and dude did that on at least one occasion when his motion
>capture camera alerted him that someone was in there.
>

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Mon May-18-20 10:35 AM

112. "right?"
In response to Reply # 111

i saw that the POLICE (of course) told the people building the home they could call the killers if there was a problem, but they never did.

also, of course they want to distance themselves from the killers, wouldn't you? the point of them releasing the footage of all the randos on their property was to show that all kinds of people came looking at the site and no one got killed for until it was a "suspicious black man."

also, these facts sure do create a problem for the police (now, we'll see if they're held accountable because that's always a whole other story). they essentially deputized the killers to do the law enforcement in place of the actual police. not a good look, period. the police telling the killers to take the law into their own hands basically.

Reeq
16347 posts
Mon May-18-20 01:34 PM

115. "my bad he texted another neighbor to check on his crib"
In response to Reply # 111

after his motion sensor cam went off about 2 weeks before the killing. and that neighbor said travis mcmichaels confronted ahmaud that night before the 1st neighbor got to the house. identity of the person confronted hasnt been confirmed tho. but the 9/11 call that night exists.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gregory-and-travel-mcmichael-confronted-amaud-arbery-two-weeks-before-his-death-neighbor-claims

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon May-18-20 11:00 AM

114. "This timeline by NYTimes has some scary details. "
In response to Reply # 0

Not sure if it’s already been posted

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007142853/ahmaud-arbery-video-911-georgia.html

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu May-21-20 05:35 PM

117. "The man behind the camera is now charged with murder"
In response to Reply # 0

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Thu May-21-20 05:55 PM

118. "Based on that Cuomo interview dude seems like he would"
In response to Reply # 117

flip on the other 2 if the Prosecutors put even the SLIGHTEST pressure on him.

I have little faith in that actually being done

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Thu May-21-20 07:03 PM

120. "RE: Based on that Cuomo interview dude seems like he would"
In response to Reply # 118

His haircut screams "schoolyard tattletale that would still try to run with the tough guys".

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Thu Jun-04-20 11:59 AM

122. "Called it"
In response to Reply # 118

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ny-ahmaud-arbery-murder-suspects-face-judge-in-court-hearing-20200604-bfskvsqpjzcmriaesetk4g3mbu-story.html

Roddie's talking

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Thu May-21-20 06:22 PM

119. "good"
In response to Reply # 117

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Jan-07-22 03:36 PM

123. "Hold these Ls…"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/01/07/ahmaud-arbery-murder-sentencing-mcmichaels/9077430002/

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Fri Jan-07-22 03:46 PM

124. "highlight of the day. "
In response to Reply # 123

Brew
24413 posts
Fri Jan-07-22 03:50 PM

125. "Thank god."
In response to Reply # 123

shockvalue
Charter member
561 posts
Fri Jan-07-22 04:32 PM

126. "As someone who didn't follow this closely"
In response to Reply # 0

What exactly was the rationale for Bryan's harsh sentence? Is it theorized or accepted that Bryan's following Arbery altered Arbery's actions/course, and that were it not for Bryan chasing him, Arbery might not have run into the McMichael's?

(From the little bit I had seen, it seemed like Bryan was just driving behind Arbery, as Arbery continued on his way).

Or is this even relevant? Is this one of those "felony murder" situations where everybody involved goes down?

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Jan-07-22 04:41 PM

127. "Here’s some info on Bryan…"
In response to Reply # 126

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ahmaud-arbery-killing-text-messages-william-roddy-bryan-phone-48-hours/

shockvalue
Charter member
561 posts
Fri Jan-07-22 04:55 PM

128. "Thanks for that."
In response to Reply # 127
Fri Jan-07-22 05:12 PM by shockvalue

Arbery palm-print on Bryan's truck, huh? That's very damning, makes him obviously more than a passive (and racist) curiosity-seeker.

I had no idea he didn't know the McMichaels! So he just sees some white men chasing a black man, quickly knows whose side he's on and joins in. Crazy.

*EDIT* Reading more into it--this is so much worse than I knew. RIP Ahmaud.

Here is a video timeline with good maps showing the extensive chase that ensued:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzNxSGsluSg

It's good to know justice was done.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Jan-07-22 05:28 PM

129. "Dude legit just got on some racist, neighborhood watch shit"
In response to Reply # 128

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jan-07-22 07:02 PM

130. "Wasn’t he passing the video around to their racist friends? Isn’t…"
In response to Reply # 129

that how they got caught?

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Sun Jan-09-22 11:23 AM

131. "how do you just drive behind people chasing a Black man on foot?"
In response to Reply # 126

all while filming?

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 10:18 AM

132. "Travis McMichael got that new joint out, today...."More Life (sentences)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/08/08/ahmaud-arbery-federal-hate-crime-sentencing/10263789002/

Reeq
16347 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 10:25 AM

133. "i see some black celebs say there are no hate crime laws for black ppl."
In response to Reply # 132
Mon Aug-08-22 10:26 AM by Reeq

despite the fact we have seen plenty of people get locked up for hate crimes against black people.

its like we are witnessing the death of common sense.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 10:37 AM

134. "more and more, man...people just be saying stuff...."
In response to Reply # 133

I'm sure it's always been this way...but, it just feels like now, more than ever...people just say anything.

Reeq
16347 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 11:07 AM

136. "we have these devices in our hands damn near 24 hrs/day"
In response to Reply # 134

where you can look up literally anything you want in a matter of minutes.

folks would rather just repeat shit they wanna believe tho.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 10:39 AM

135. "this BITCH asking to be kept in Federal custody..."
In response to Reply # 0

say he fears he might be killed in State Prison. Hey, Trav...tell us more about what it must feel like to fear for your life, due to the color of your skin!! P.O.S.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13380931 Previous topic | Next topic