Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13380732

Subject: "Locally Grown.TV - New streaming platform featuring rare, Black vintage ..." Previous topic | Next topic
BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Sat Apr-25-20 02:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Locally Grown.TV - New streaming platform featuring rare, Black vintage ..."
Sat Apr-25-20 02:33 AM by BlakStaar

https://locallygrown.tv/
https://www.instagram.com/locallygrowntv/

I can't believe I missed this! Two men (Black millennials?) launched a new streaming platform this year that is focused on vintage Black TV and other moving images, including newer content.

The platform features different channels. Some current selections include:
- Sun Ra Arkestra Boiler Room
- The Parliaments w/ Funkadelic LIVE Eddie Hazel 1969
- Keenan and Kel
- Footwork! (documentary)
- WC NYC TV, e.g. Poetry with Lucille Clifton & Sonia Sanchez & Drawing with Bruce + Jackson 5ive
- Uptown: MTV Unplugged 1993
- Interviews from Red Bull Music Academy
- Janet Jackson: The Velvet Rope Tour (Live)

One of the dopest features on there is "The New Dance Show," which was a dance series in Detroit, Michigan, Hosted by R.J. Watkins. The show featured music from several influential Detroit techno artists.

Hip-hop artist Noname even has her own channel on here called "Nigga Theory." The description: "Footage our LA Bookclub Meeting featuring guest Morgan Parker, author of February's pick: Magical Negro, Prison Abolition, Revolutionary History, and some mo' shit."

Artist Rinny Perkins (@RinnyRiot) has her own channel called Keisha

...I could go on.

I know that in the age of YouTube this may not seem like a big deal, but YouTube doesn't have everything. Plus, Locally Grown is dope because they bring other Black artists in to curate content for the channels.

More from WIRE magazine:
"Locally Grown Is PBS for the Streaming Age; The site's channels are a reminder of the days when cultural events, whether local or international, happened around TV screens."
https://www.wired.com/story/locally-grown-streaming-public-access/

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
nice. good share.
Apr 25th 2020

seemenomore
Member since Jan 01st 2008
217 posts
Sat Apr-25-20 03:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "nice. good share."
In response to Reply # 0

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby General Discussion topic #13380732 Previous topic | Next topic