Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13380511

Subject: "COVID-19 does some good: ‘Parks and Recreation’ Cast to Reunite" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Thu Apr-23-20 07:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"COVID-19 does some good: ‘Parks and Recreation’ Cast to Reunite"

‘Parks and Recreation’ Cast to Reunite for Scripted Special in Aid of COVID-19

‘Parks and Recreation’ Cast to Reunite for Scripted Special in Aid of COVID-19

The good folks of the Parks and Recreation Department in Pawnee, Indiana are back for more hijinks, well, at least for a little while.

NBC has announced that the cast of its iconic sitcom “Parks and Rec” is set to reunite for a half-hour scripted special airing on April 30, in aid of COVID-19. Almost all the original cast members, including Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Aziz Ansari, Nick Offerman, Aubrey Plaza, Chris Pratt, Adam Scott, Rob Lowe, Jim O’Heir, and Retta, will be back in character for the special. Expect several guest stars from the original show to pop in too.

This marks the latest in a series classic sitcom reunions, most notable of which is a “Friends” reunion special (albeit unscripted) which is still in the pipeline at HBO Max.

Five years after “Parks and Rec” finished its seven-season run, this new story draws from events happening day, as Pawnee’s most dedicated civil servant, Leslie Knope (Poehler), is determined to stay connected to her friends in a time of social distancing. The special, spearheaded by co-creator Michael Shur, will help raise money for Feeding America’s COVID-19 Response Fund.

“Like a lot of other people, we were looking for ways to help and felt that bringing these characters back for a night could raise some money,” said Schur. “I sent a hopeful email to the cast and they all got back to me within 45 minutes. Our old ‘Parks and Rec’ team has put together one more 30-minute slice of (quarantined) Pawnee life and we hope everyone enjoys it. And donates!”

The original “Parks and Recreation,” a Universal Television production, ran from 2009 to 2015 and was nominated for a hatful of Emmys and Golden Globes throughout its run. Poehler won the show’s lone Globe in 2014 for her performance.

“In such uncertain times, we can’t think of anyone better than Leslie Knope to unite our country with her unbridled enthusiasm and compassion,” said Lisa Katz and Tracey Pakosta, co-presidents of scripted programming at NBC Entertainment. “A huge thank you to Mike Schur and the cast of ‘Parks and Recreation’ for putting this wonderful special together and bringing a smile to all our faces while raising money for such a worthwhile cause.”

At the show’s PaleyFest 10th anniversary reunion last year, several cast members said they would be only too happy to reprise their characters for a revival, but only if Schur was on board.

“Whenever Mike is ready, I’ll put on my suit again for sure,” said Poehler at the time, with Offerman saying that “we’d all come running” if Schur “came up with an original, new idea.”

“Parks and Recreation” is a production of Deedle-Dee Productions, Fremulon, 3 Arts Entertainment and Universal TV. Schur, Greg Daniels, Howard Klein, David Miner, Morgan Sackett and Dean Holland serve as executive producers on the series.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My all time favorite show. I'm excited for this
Apr 24th 2020
yep...
Apr 24th 2020
      i loved it
Apr 24th 2020
We watched the original run & just restarted it about 2 months ago
Apr 24th 2020
the worsttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt (c)
Apr 24th 2020
HA!
Apr 24th 2020
they were hilarious and Jean Ralphio's annoyance was part of it
Apr 24th 2020
he was supposed to be annoying
Apr 25th 2020

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Fri Apr-24-20 10:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My all time favorite show. I'm excited for this"
In response to Reply # 0

Though, I love Last Man on Earth and they did a live zoom panel on youtube and that shit was a hot mess. It got a bit cringy.

I hope this is better planned and organized

If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Fri Apr-24-20 11:21 AM

2. "yep..."
In response to Reply # 1

and in my heart I know The Office was probably "better", but anytime I have this discussion with friends...I'm always the only one on the Parks and Rec side, lol.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Apr-24-20 11:28 AM

3. "i loved it"
In response to Reply # 2

i was late to it. took me a while to actually get into it but im glad i kept watching. i still havent gotten into the office but i havent tried as much as i did with parks & rec.

ill definitely watch this.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Fri Apr-24-20 11:35 AM

4. "We watched the original run & just restarted it about 2 months ago"
In response to Reply # 0

It's funnier than I remember but I'm finding myself disliking folks that I liked before.

Jean Ralphio remains the most annoying character in TV history.

I find Tom more annoying than when we first watched it.

I appreciate Ben a lot more now.

Andy is a little bit more annoying too.

Ron is still the best.

I'm looking forward to this special. It should be a good time.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri Apr-24-20 11:55 AM

5. "the worsttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt (c)"
In response to Reply # 4

I thought he and Mona Lisa were both hilarious. Was always crazy to me that while playing a brother/sister on Parks & Recs they were both also on House of Lies and Ben Shapiro's character was hitting on Jenny Slate's character

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Fri Apr-24-20 12:10 PM

6. "HA!"
In response to Reply # 5

>I thought he and Mona Lisa were both hilarious. Was always
>crazy to me that while playing a brother/sister on Parks &
>Recs they were both also on House of Lies and Ben Shapiro's
>character was hitting on Jenny Slate's character

My Mom used to lock people into certain roles too. She saw some made for TV movie where Robert Urich killed his wife & framed his kids (or something like that). She said she couldn't stand Robert Urich after that. She was always gonna see him as this dude who committed this murder.

All I could do was SMH.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Fri Apr-24-20 04:15 PM

7. "they were hilarious and Jean Ralphio's annoyance was part of it"
In response to Reply # 5

>I thought he and Mona Lisa were both hilarious. Was always
>crazy to me that while playing a brother/sister on Parks &
>Recs they were both also on House of Lies and Ben Shapiro's
>character was hitting on Jenny Slate's character

and Jenny Slate is just so adorable that I could never take Mona Lisa serious ... money pweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Sat Apr-25-20 10:19 PM

8. "he was supposed to be annoying"
In response to Reply # 4

Lobby General Discussion topic #13380511 Previous topic | Next topic