Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13376219

Subject: "what kind of financial decisions are yall making right now?" Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 09:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"what kind of financial decisions are yall making right now?"

I've bought a few things that were on sale. probably not the best time in the world do so, but we should be good. the sales are crazy right now, but I think I'm done.

Otherwise, still saving my usual amount of money. only have one credit card bill with zero interest til later in the year. will continue taking advantage of that til its paid off.

seriously thinking about a refi on my student loan. I got 8 more years of it. thinking of doing a 5 year, but it'll cost me 200 more a month. not sure if I can swing that without pulling from somewhere else.

this epidemic has me spending more on groceries and such. but also has me not spending on gas, eating out for lunch, vacations, etc. this is birthday season for me. pretty much all of my immediate fam has April/May born days. Not to mention mother's day. very little money will be spent on that this year. but wife's not working or getting unemployment, so my gains have are eaten up because of that.

What will you do with your stimulus money? bills? me too. at least to put an extra payment on the car loan. might try to invest a few of those dollars. or put a chuck into these 529s.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I bought a house two weeks before the crash. SMH. LOL.
Apr 02nd 2020
lol
Apr 02nd 2020
Congrats. We are still on the fence about selling
Apr 02nd 2020
bad ones
Apr 02nd 2020
Fam... I know you love those records but you might need to chill
Apr 02nd 2020
no lies detected
Apr 02nd 2020
SL payments suspended til 9/30...gone pays some shit off, fam
Apr 02nd 2020
      so much for that
Apr 13th 2020
           damn, I wonder how come...
Apr 13th 2020
                I could ask for a refund for my March payment from the bank..
Apr 13th 2020
                i guess these loans are not held by the department of education
Apr 14th 2020
I’m about to gut my whole house...
Apr 02nd 2020
I WAS going to loosen up and buy some stuff
Apr 02nd 2020
been investing since 2008, and now throwing money into index
Apr 02nd 2020
how bout teaching your OKP fam??? *all ears*
Apr 02nd 2020
      ^^^^
Apr 02nd 2020
      look below
Apr 02nd 2020
           perfect. thank you.
Apr 02nd 2020
                sure, plus joining a Facebook group about learning to invest
Apr 02nd 2020
      I learned from the Intelligent Investor by B.Graham
Apr 02nd 2020
      pick this book up, very accessible and uses research on index funds
Apr 02nd 2020
      I don't know why investing is so daunting to people. It's sooo easy
Apr 02nd 2020
           its because folks don't know how and it just seems
Apr 02nd 2020
                True. I think if it's framed more like a long term savings plan...
Apr 02nd 2020
                     nail on head
Apr 13th 2020
I've got one more payment left on my student loan.
Apr 02nd 2020
congrats
Apr 02nd 2020
Thanks
Apr 02nd 2020
that's awesome!
Apr 02nd 2020
Goals^^
Apr 02nd 2020
congrats.. i still log into mine just to see the zero balance..
Apr 02nd 2020
turrible.....
Apr 02nd 2020
Just bought a second tablet for the kids. $69 bucks
Apr 02nd 2020
RE: Just bought a second tablet for the kids. $69 bucks
Apr 02nd 2020
      Of all the things to cancel a vacation over.. smh
Apr 02nd 2020
tryna be conservative
Apr 02nd 2020
Getting my ducks in a row to buy an investment property
Apr 02nd 2020
not trying to sound flippant, but I honestly haven't changed much...
Apr 02nd 2020
continuing to stack paper for multi-family duplex possibility
Apr 02nd 2020
Saving $470 every week on daycare.
Apr 02nd 2020
Buying some stocks, refinancing my mortgage
Apr 02nd 2020
I need to look into refinancing my mortgage
Apr 02nd 2020
      I refi'd in 2018 to a 15 yr.
Apr 02nd 2020
      Gonna look into a 15yr refi. I currently have a 30yr.
Apr 03rd 2020
           yep, less interest.
Apr 03rd 2020
      Looking like low 3s
Apr 02nd 2020
I'm only eating dinner, and half of what I normally eat
Apr 02nd 2020
man, thanks
Apr 02nd 2020
      right now, my favorite part is it came with DOOM II and DOOM 64
Apr 02nd 2020
           man, I was all set to cop this, this weekend...
Apr 03rd 2020
not buying anything thats not food or necessities
Apr 02nd 2020
Really thinking about yanking my 401k
Apr 02nd 2020
and spending it on what?
Apr 02nd 2020
yea still working
Apr 03rd 2020
      Now is prolly the worst time to do that
Apr 03rd 2020
      In the scenario where the govt starts confiscating individual's 401ks...
Apr 03rd 2020
that tax is hit is one thing.
Apr 02nd 2020
      Yup. I tapped my 401K a few times but it was in desperation
Apr 03rd 2020

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 09:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I bought a house two weeks before the crash. SMH. LOL. "
In response to Reply # 0

I don't feel as bad because we sold a lot of stock to buy it and I think the stock market will take a bigger beating this particular housing market.

But it still seems like the craziest time to make the biggest purchase of our lives.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 09:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "lol"
In response to Reply # 1

I think that was good timing, especially since the stock helped out.

how to you invest in stocks? investment firms? apps?

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79618 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "Congrats. We are still on the fence about selling"
In response to Reply # 1

obviously that ain’t happening anytime soon but if my wife gets this new gig we may have to sell just so we can be closer to our jobs since both will be on the other side of town.

If she doesn’t get it we will probably add on to this house and just chill.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16415 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 09:45 AM

3. "bad ones"
In response to Reply # 0

right before this really hit i went ahead and started ordering quite a bit of records. im mostly chilling on that now. theres one or two i still want to get but im waiting on a good price to pop up.

still going to work so still spending on gas and take out. i keep buying groceries incase we actually get locked down. trying to lessen how much delivery i do.

i also made some smallish purchases of household items ive been wanting to.

its all kind of adding up though. so im now looking to pay off some cards. a bit unsure what to do with these fed student loans. supposedly no payments or interests for 6 months right? i think the smart thing would be to put that money into credit cards.

im trying to limit myself moving forward on orders to things i actually need, especially to get through this. i might buy some digital games if i actually get back into playing on the switch.

legsdiamond
79618 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:36 AM

12. "Fam... I know you love those records but you might need to chill"
In response to Reply # 3

sounds like you are finding reasons to not pay on debt.

Just based on your post. Not trying to count your money for you.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
16415 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:44 AM

16. "no lies detected"
In response to Reply # 12

a couple of weeks back i was in "why not?" mode and just buying what i wanted to. now im just chill. going to make some payments on these cards.

the good thing is there really isnt much out there, records or just stuff, that i want anymore. i wanted to jump on ordering a replacement buhloone mindstate when i got the broken one but i looked at prices and said nope. ill just wait. the main reason i wanted to replace it is because it now became the ONE i was missing from their collection but who really cares about that lol i tried, got my money back and still have a copy on my phone so *shrug*

i might be able to get two more credit cards paid off since i wont need to make payments on the student loans.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 11:31 AM

24. "SL payments suspended til 9/30...gone pays some shit off, fam"
In response to Reply # 3

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

mista k5
16415 posts
Mon Apr-13-20 02:53 PM

54. "so much for that"
In response to Reply # 24

turns out my "federal" student loans dont qualify. im still getting my regular pay, not really saving anything since im still coming in to work. oh well. i already had chilled on records but this seals that.

hopefully that check actually hits and more importantly i keep getting paid. i still have some fund to pay off some debt but i will need to be more disciplined and focused with it.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Mon Apr-13-20 07:37 PM

55. "damn, I wonder how come..."
In response to Reply # 54

I got an alert to log in for an "important message" and it gives the whole rundown about interest and whatnot...but I was looking for that bottom line Next payment due: 11/28/2020

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
79618 posts
Mon Apr-13-20 08:24 PM

56. "I could ask for a refund for my March payment from the bank.."
In response to Reply # 55

Either he has private loans or hasn’t done the research.

mista k5
16415 posts
Tue Apr-14-20 09:47 AM

58. "i guess these loans are not held by the department of education"
In response to Reply # 55

shouldnt have been a surprise to me but it was. my loans were before 2010. so theyre federal loans but not DIRECT federal loans.

i definitely logged in hoping to see a no amount due or next due date of november or whatever. when it showed it was still due in april i clicked to read some more info and mine dont qualify.

https://www.marketplace.org/2020/04/09/do-i-still-need-to-pay-my-student-loans-what-the-cares-act-offers-for-covid-19-relief/
So which loans qualify?

— All direct loans — those taken out since 2010 — qualify. This includes direct Parent PLUS loans.

— Most Federal Family Education Loan Program or FFEL loans — those taken out before 2010 — do not qualify. There are some exceptions.

— Most Perkins loans — held by a college or university — do not qualify. There are some exceptions here too.

Those exceptions are for the 10 or so percent of FFEL loans — and the handful of Perkins loans — that the Department of Education bought back from other lenders during the recession. Those qualify.

“If you have a direct loan, you don’t have to ask any more questions. Your loans are eligible for these waivers,” Mayotte said. If you have a FFEL or Perkins loan, and “you’re in the lucky minority where your loans were purchased by the Department of Education at some point, then it’s possible that your FFEL or Perkins loans could also be eligible for these waivers.”

If you’re not sure what kind of loan you have, you can ask your servicer or log in to StudentAid.gov and look at your lender.

“If the lender is showing as Department of Education, then it’s federally held and it would be eligible for the waivers,” Mayotte said. “But if it’s showing, say, AES or Chase Bank or Sallie Mae, then it’s not a federally held federal loan. It’s still a federal loan, but it’s not considered a loan that’s eligible for the CARES Act waivers.”

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 09:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I’m about to gut my whole house..."
In response to Reply # 0

with my parents being elderly they haven’t been able to do the updates. I need to modernize everything...

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:13 AM

5. "I WAS going to loosen up and buy some stuff"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been saving a lot of money , I figured I'd start buying things again soon.

This has kind of stopped that plan.

People will have to start selling stuff for CHEAP soon just to get by - it's not fun to think why there'll be lots of bargains out there soon.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

lsymone
Member since Nov 03rd 2007
7401 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:14 AM

6. "been investing since 2008, and now throwing money into index "
In response to Reply # 0

funds as if they were strippers at a strip club.

have rebalance my vanguard/USAA portfolio to take more risk cause i have time on my side.

and teaching my nieces/nephews how to take advantage of a bear market, especially when a bloodbath like this is akin to Hayley's Comet.

take a message

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:25 AM

9. "how bout teaching your OKP fam??? *all ears*"
In response to Reply # 6

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:45 AM

17. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 9

how did you begin on this path?

what resources do you currently use?

how do you invest? as in apps, firms, or other options.

lsymone
7401 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 11:10 AM

20. "look below"
In response to Reply # 17

>how did you begin on this path?

well i grew up surrounded by thieves, and my high school introduce a program/curriculum in learning (not investing) about the stock market. it was an elective course. the teacher, who was a coach, told me to take it.

>what resources do you currently use?

the books i mentioned below, morningstar, bloomberg, investopedia, CNBC as an app.

>how do you invest?

primary Vanguard. and I have USAA as a secondary. I recently have M1 Finance for mostly passive stocks.

youtubers I follow: Joseph Carlson (he's all about divdends), Ryan Scribner (his break down is simple to understand), Humbled Trader (she's funny to watch), Tommy Bryson and Our Rich Journey.

take a message

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 11:13 AM

21. "perfect. thank you."
In response to Reply # 20

I've put those books in my cart.

this should help me figure more of this stuff out.

preciate it.

lsymone
7401 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 11:24 AM

22. "sure, plus joining a Facebook group about learning to invest"
In response to Reply # 21

is another good option.

take advantage of this market cause this doesnt happen too often as far as stocks being cheap. even with this stimulus package that suppose to soften the blow on the economy, yet 10 million ppl are unemployed, you got time to jump in.

and do not sell when you're in a panic<---you'll understand what this mean.

take a message

lsymone
7401 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:55 AM

19. "I learned from the Intelligent Investor by B.Graham"
In response to Reply # 9

The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins

and Common Sense in Investing by John Bogle.

if a ghetto black girl from Dade County surrounded by scammers and hustlers all her life can learn the stock market and live comfortably, shyt anybody can.

take a message

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 02:13 PM

30. "pick this book up, very accessible and uses research on index funds"
In response to Reply # 9

DIY approach with no hired financial advisors needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Teacher-Wealth-Should-Learned/dp/1119356296

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 03:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
35. "I don't know why investing is so daunting to people. It's sooo easy"
In response to Reply # 9

Takes no thought at all to do a basic investment strategy (which is pretty much all I do).

0). If your job has a 401k or something similar, max that out before doing anything else.

1). Go to vanguard.com -> personal investors. and open an account online.

2). After you open an account, purchase stuff
If it's for retirement, the most straight forward are the target date funds. They change the investment risk as you age (riskier when you're younger, safer as you age).

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/list#/mutual-funds/asset-class/month-end-returns

For vanguard, the minimum investment to get started is $1000. It might be a lower minimum for other companies (Fidelity, Schwab...).

3). Transfer money into it (i.e. buy shares of the mutual fund) on a regular basis (or whenever you have some extra cash lying around). I use the vanguard app, and it takes 1 minute to type in a dollar amount and click buy.

That's it. Do that and you are investigating. You don't need to research companies or read the wall Street journal.

While the stock investing looks crazy now, in the long run it is a much better path to wealth accumulation than just a savings account.

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 06:36 PM

38. "its because folks don't know how and it just seems"
In response to Reply # 35

like a foreign concept. a lot of people tend to look at the daily markets which makes them question the whole thing. or hear stories about somebody getting rich off a nobody stock that turns into Amazon.

neither seems real and may not offer incentive to look into it further. additionally, for some folks $1000 is about the same as saying $100k.

with that said, what you laid out is pretty simple. it may help some of us out. thank you.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 08:32 PM

41. "True. I think if it's framed more like a long term savings plan..."
In response to Reply # 38

...instead of a short term lottery ticket, it becomes less foreign.

If you don't plan to use the money for the next 20 years, what happened yesterday or today doesn't matter at all.

And I feel you on that $1000. There are other options available like those apps like Acorn. But I'm just not familiar with how they work and what they provide.

But the main thing I want to get across is that it's not difficult at all. You don't need books or an advisor. If you can put money in the bank you can just as easily put money in investments

legsdiamond
79618 posts
Mon Apr-13-20 08:27 PM

57. "nail on head"
In response to Reply # 41

So many people use crashes as the reason they won’t invest while ignoring the 20 and 30 year average.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I've got one more payment left on my student loan."
In response to Reply # 0

I put my whole bonus into that. I just want the psychological weight of that off me.

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:28 AM

10. "congrats"
In response to Reply # 7

that shit feels great

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 10

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:47 AM

18. "that's awesome!"
In response to Reply # 7

congrats. I'm sick of these zombie ass loans.

mista k5
16415 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 12:23 PM

25. "Goals^^"
In response to Reply # 7

congrats!

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 12:34 PM

27. "congrats.. i still log into mine just to see the zero balance.."
In response to Reply # 7

...it's a great feeling

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:24 AM

8. "turrible....."
In response to Reply # 0

just terrible....
easily have spend a grip on stuff that while YES, we could use...but we honestly didn't NEED....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

legsdiamond
79618 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:35 AM

11. "Just bought a second tablet for the kids. $69 bucks"
In response to Reply # 0

besides that it’s all been groceries and alcohol.. lmao.

About to increase the 529 contribution.

About to cancel our vacation. It hurts. We only post $400 people on the deposit tho.

We are looking into a new deck for the house. Since we aren’t going on vacation and will spend more time at home might as well update the deck because it’s not safe to use right now.

Nothing else to purchase. Just saving on daycare and paying down debt. Prolly get a little more aggressive paying it down.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 12:37 PM

28. "RE: Just bought a second tablet for the kids. $69 bucks"
In response to Reply # 11

>besides that it’s all been groceries and alcohol.. lmao.
>
>About to increase the 529 contribution.
>
>About to cancel our vacation. It hurts. We only post $400
>people on the deposit tho.
>
>We are looking into a new deck for the house. Since we
>aren’t going on vacation and will spend more time at home
>might as well update the deck because it’s not safe to use
>right now.

damn, that was the vacation you posted about right? i think i recommended a cruise too 🤦🏻‍♂️ ... We just cancelled our August vacation and our little June weekend getaway as well..

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

legsdiamond
79618 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 01:40 PM

29. "Of all the things to cancel a vacation over.. smh"
In response to Reply # 28
Thu Apr-02-20 01:54 PM by legsdiamond

Well, at least we have passports now.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:41 AM

14. "tryna be conservative"
In response to Reply # 0

keeping my savings plump, but I'm keeping more single ($1) bills on me in case.

looking at making some investments.

The mrs. birthday is in a couple weeks, I'm definitely gonna buy her some things she doesn't NEED just so lighten up the atmosphere in the house.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:43 AM

15. "Getting my ducks in a row to buy an investment property"
In response to Reply # 0

Paying off as much debt as I can. Saving. That's it. Pretty-much stopped buying anything regularly other than food & things for the house.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 11:25 AM

23. "not trying to sound flippant, but I honestly haven't changed much..."
In response to Reply # 0

with me working from home and my boys being home all day everyday...we've obviously gone harder on groceries. I am saving eating lunches and I spend virtually nothing on gas, now. I'm putting my same amounts into my 401k and Roth...even though they're obviously taking a beating. Wifey just got a new whip, but that was in the works way before Covid kicked in the door. Last years bonus...besides going on a cruise with a bunch of my peeps and all our families...I paid off my credit cards. Currently, I have not debt except for student loan, mortgage and a car note. I did boost our internet to the max, so that's a tiny bit extra a month. I would say the basics (gas, water, electric) will see a jump due to everyone constantly being home. My mom and dad both live alone. Moms is 70 and pops is 73. I tell them whatever they need to hit me up and I'll get it and deliver it to their doorstep. Hasn't cost me that much, for real, but it feels good to be able to do it. Other than that, I spend pretty much how I always did. My wife and I don't go out to eat on dates, like before, because we physically can't...so, that's going to Walmart and Costco. I'm still gettin at these shoes, like always and I'm about to buy a new bike (pedal), any minute now.

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 02:17 PM

31. "continuing to stack paper for multi-family duplex possibility "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-02-20 02:19 PM by rawsouthpaw

to be a owner-occupant in one of the units and rent the other. been on this path for several years and my lane is opening up with this crash. this book among a couple others has been very helpful on how to move without paying an unneeded financial advisor.
https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Teacher-Wealth-Should-Learned/dp/1119356296
student loans finally paid, reliable used car with no payment for years now, no big splurges other than dope vacays which are now on hold, great credit, union job as a teacher with good benefits like a pension and healthcare paid. additionally these savings and moves may help give me a launch pad to bounce out of the US sooner rather than later and i'm keeping an open mind about that.

legsdiamond
79618 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 03:27 PM

33. "Saving $470 every week on daycare. "
In response to Reply # 31

actually making more money during this pandemic which is crazy. Plus we aren’t spending on gas and rarely eat out.

We still have to file our taxes this year. If we get checks for this stimulus it will be butters.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 02:59 PM

32. "Buying some stocks, refinancing my mortgage"
In response to Reply # 0

Ive never bought individual stocks before but Im mostly seizing the opportunity to buy good companies that aren't going away. Bought a little bit of United and Royal Caribbean as a gamble. Its been an interesting learning experience watching and reading about the market the past few weeks.

Mostly just continuing to put a little bit into ETFs on a regular basis. Also keeping a healthy emergency fund. This is the most important thing to have right now.

I actually have spent much less this last month just due to not going out. Im starting to feel the urge to buy more shit online just for something to do and look forward to though.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

flipnile
13575 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 06:09 PM

36. "I need to look into refinancing my mortgage"
In response to Reply # 32

Rates are at or close to zero now, right?

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 06:19 PM

37. "I refi'd in 2018 to a 15 yr."
In response to Reply # 36

I called quicken yesterday to ask about today's situation. she basically said it wouldn't make sense for me based on potential savings of maybe $50.

so basically, it'll depend on your situation. rates aren't zero. they still need to make money on the loans, but you might be able to swing something in the low 3s by doing a 15 instead of a 30.

flipnile
13575 posts
Fri Apr-03-20 09:47 AM

49. "Gonna look into a 15yr refi. I currently have a 30yr."
In response to Reply # 37

Shortening my mortgage (less interest over the long run, right?) would be a win too. I'm ~5 years in so far.

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Fri Apr-03-20 10:22 AM

51. "yep, less interest."
In response to Reply # 49
Fri Apr-03-20 10:24 AM by tariqhu

your payment might go up though. but it may still be workable.

my monthly went up by a couple hundred. but I was already paying more than what it went up to.

not to advertise for anyone, but quicken has been gold with these mortgages.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 11:04 PM

46. "Looking like low 3s"
In response to Reply # 36

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 03:35 PM

34. "I'm only eating dinner, and half of what I normally eat"
In response to Reply # 0

Essentially, trying to stretch every meal across two days.

Keeping a notebook of any booze I take home from work, paying for half now and half later.

Withholding $100 from this month's rent because I paid up front at the start of March for most of it (not anticipating this, at least not consciously) so I'm just kind of curious if/when she'll ask where that money is (I've held back small amounts in the past and not been asked about it so my fingers are crossed I guess).

Canceled Disney/ESPN+. Will probably cancel Hulu once Devs is done.

I'm calling in to reduce my internet service speeds in a week or two before my next bill comes due. My ISP boosted their baseline package by 20MBp/s and the difference between that package and my package is about $40/mo while the difference in speed is...well, it's still a difference of 50MBp/s but I don't know anyone that complains about their speeds on that plan even before the change so I think I'll be fine.

I WISH I hadn't bought DOOM Eternal impulsively after seeing some gameplay that looked good; I don't like that game nearly as much as the one from 2016 and would rather have that $70 back. I'll be skipping a bunch of upcoming video games I was looking forward to in the future (luckily, it seems like most of the bigger ones are just going to get delayed like blockbuster movies).

I did subscribe to the NY Times. I've been thinking about it off and on for the last three years and it's down to like $1 a week for the first 12 weeks or something, then $4 after that. I really feel like I should be informed, so.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 06:40 PM

39. "man, thanks"
In response to Reply # 34

>I WISH I hadn't bought DOOM Eternal impulsively after seeing
>some gameplay that looked good; I don't like that game nearly
>as much as the one from 2016 and would rather have that $70
>back. I'll be skipping a bunch of upcoming video games I was
>looking forward to in the future (luckily, it seems like most
>of the bigger ones are just going to get delayed like
>blockbuster movies).

^^ I was considering buying that but there's really nothing like the old version. I think the fact that it was old was what made it fun. I was at Walmart scouring the games section for any of the marked-down 'greatest hits' joints to see if I could find a time-eater.

As far as movies, I was REALLY looking forward to seeing 'TENET' this summer...I hope upon hope that we get SOME kinda relief.

Peace.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 08:04 PM

40. "right now, my favorite part is it came with DOOM II and DOOM 64"
In response to Reply # 39

I thought the reboot in 2016 was incredible, but this one is all about "play it our way" not "play it your way" and I just don't like the way they want me to play all that much, or more accurately how damn hard it is even if you do.

If you want some of that good nostalgia though I think the old OG DOOM games, both I and II, are on all three consoles' online shops for like $6.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Fri Apr-03-20 11:49 AM

53. "man, I was all set to cop this, this weekend..."
In response to Reply # 40

I have ZERO personal history with the DOOM franchise, so maybe it'll be ok for me. I need a new game and the commercial and subsequent youtube videos, make this joint look amazing.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 09:27 PM

42. "not buying anything thats not food or necessities"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-02-20 09:27 PM by hardware

i had some purchases i was saving up for but those have been dismissed.

we do need to move out of this apt once the lease is up but neither of is sure about job security long term. Hers is non-essential, mine is essential but supported by ad revenue which has dried up being 99% local advertisers.

we may end up having to stay here another year.

SeV
Charter member
50215 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 09:32 PM

43. "Really thinking about yanking my 401k"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll take the hit on tax fuggit

DALLAS LAKERICKS LETS GO!!

seemenomore
Member since Jan 01st 2008
217 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 09:56 PM

44. "and spending it on what? "
In response to Reply # 43

you still working?

SeV
Charter member
50215 posts
Fri Apr-03-20 01:41 AM

47. "yea still working"
In response to Reply # 44

i just dont see it being a viable savings plan anymore

and i honestly think its going to be closed to wiped out with this upcoming economic collapse

and to be honest i dont trust it anymore

nor do i trust the government at this point not to fuk with it

they bout to get desperate

DALLAS LAKERICKS LETS GO!!

legsdiamond
79618 posts
Fri Apr-03-20 07:28 AM

48. "Now is prolly the worst time to do that "
In response to Reply # 47

but then again... shit might be gone soon so who the fuck knows.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Fri Apr-03-20 10:50 AM

52. "In the scenario where the govt starts confiscating individual's 401ks..."
In response to Reply # 47

I don't think money would matter anymore.

Savings accounts wouldn't be safe. Cash in the mattress would be worthless.

If you're preparing for that world, you're better off stocking up on prepper materials and items that can be bartered.

>i just dont see it being a viable savings plan anymore
>
>and i honestly think its going to be closed to wiped out with
>this upcoming economic collapse
>
>and to be honest i dont trust it anymore
>
>nor do i trust the government at this point not to fuk with
>it
>
>they bout to get desperate
>
>
>
>
>____________
>
>DALLAS LAKERICKS LETS GO!!

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Thu Apr-02-20 10:24 PM

45. "that tax is hit is one thing."
In response to Reply # 43

but you don't get that time back on the money you take out. its a lose lose.

I thought about it when I was in big debt. never pulled the trigger. glad I didn't.

legsdiamond
79618 posts
Fri Apr-03-20 10:01 AM

50. "Yup. I tapped my 401K a few times but it was in desperation"
In response to Reply # 45

hated that I had to do it tho

If possible the better option is borrowing against it and paying it back IF you have to do it.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13376219 Previous topic | Next topic