Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13373412

Subject: "Tulsi Gabbard calls for UBI during Coronavirus" Previous topic | Next topic
falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Sun Mar-15-20 12:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tulsi Gabbard calls for UBI during Coronavirus"

It already got shot down (lol) but wouldn't now be as good a time as ever?

Democratic presidential candidate Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) called for introducing a universal basic income (UBI) of $1,000 a month until coronavirus "no longer presents a public health emergency."

"Most Americans don't have that safety emergency bank account even for a short term, what to speak of if you're talking about weeks, or in this case people are looking at potentially months," Gabbard said in an interview on Hill.TV.

Her proposal, H.R. 897, would give a UBI of $1,000 per month to all adult Americans "until COVID-19 no longer presents a public health emergency."

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/487471-tulsi-gabbard-proposes-ubi-amid-coronavirus-crisis

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I mean... it's pretty much necessary at this point
Mar 16th 2020
AOC is with her.
Mar 16th 2020
Tulsi/Yang supporters were going at AOC
Mar 16th 2020
if you're looking for trolls online
Mar 16th 2020
lol
Mar 16th 2020
this is too easy
Mar 17th 2020
I think getting mad a politician adopting the policies of YOU politician...
Mar 17th 2020
so AOC isn't talking about Tulsi's proposal?
Mar 16th 2020
I feel like I missed an episode of this
Mar 17th 2020
Romney too!
Mar 16th 2020
Cotton/Cruz agree
Mar 16th 2020
There's never been a better time to start-up a new, organized party
Mar 16th 2020
good luck with that
Mar 16th 2020
LOL no, just no. People in your bubble? maybe
Mar 16th 2020
      mans has no idea what a Whig is
Mar 16th 2020
           The usual miserable suspects in every post
Mar 16th 2020
                I wished you the absolute best of luck. what more do you want.
Mar 16th 2020
                I thought the financial crisis of 2008/09 and with the rise of movements...
Mar 17th 2020
                     RE: I thought the financial crisis of 2008/09 and with the rise of movem...
Mar 17th 2020
                          It's probably more due to the first past the post voting system.
Mar 18th 2020
the idea that republicans will run to the left of democrats
Mar 16th 2020
you ever notice that so-called UBI fans mention their political faves fi...
Mar 16th 2020
good point. tubbs gets little recognition for being a visionary.
Mar 18th 2020
came here for the Tubbs comment
Mar 19th 2020
Ilhan Omar becomes the first co-sponsor of Tulsi's bill
Mar 16th 2020
I guess you're fine being wished good luck.
Mar 17th 2020
Fun watching the GOP do backflips to avoid giving money to poor people.
Mar 17th 2020
Actually seems to be some GOP members getting on board
Mar 17th 2020
Sounds like the WH is getting on board too.
Mar 17th 2020
Off top, I don't think this is the best route to go
Mar 17th 2020
I definitely agree that it'd be better if it could be targeted.
Mar 17th 2020
we need to do both (or all)
Mar 17th 2020
Mar 17th 2020
I'm coming around to your view on this.
Mar 18th 2020
Correct in that UBI has been proposed as a right of citizenship
Mar 17th 2020
Trump hears "The US Gov't is making a $1T campaign donation."
Mar 17th 2020
WH consults with Yang on UBI stimulus implementation
Mar 17th 2020
Other useful action: End Iran Sanctions, End ICE action
Mar 17th 2020
I'd rather have a test
Mar 18th 2020
"There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks...
Mar 18th 2020
Tulsi Gabbard drops out of the Democratic presidential primary
Mar 19th 2020
Stimulus plan getting closer
Mar 19th 2020
some details
Mar 19th 2020
Who?
Mar 19th 2020
how are those 'dems getting outflanked from the left by repubs' takes?
Mar 23rd 2020
They are simply as stupid as they ever were
Mar 23rd 2020
notice that the people who made them dropped them and just forgot about ...
Mar 23rd 2020

Hitokiri
Charter member
22101 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 10:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I mean... it's pretty much necessary at this point"
In response to Reply # 0

With places like New York and Illinois closing all bars and restaurants... The hell do they expect those workers to do, find new jobs?

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 11:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "AOC is with her."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.newsweek.com/tulsi-gabbard-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-back-universal-basic-income-response-coronavirus-1492293

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) are calling for universal basic income (UBI) in response to the growing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.

Gabbard introduced legislation Friday that would provide a UBI payment of $1,000 per month to every American adult until the Department of Health and Human Services declares the outbreak is over.

"The coronavirus pandemic has created a threat to the health and well-being of the American people, as well as to our country's economic stability. While some in Washington are focused on taking care of Wall Street, everyday Americans get left behind. That's wrong," said Gabbard in a statement.

-->

falafel stand pimpin
4381 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Tulsi/Yang supporters were going at AOC"
In response to Reply # 2

Saying she's trying to take credit for UBI. Shit is toxic.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 12:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "if you're looking for trolls online"
In response to Reply # 3

you'll find them.

-->

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 12:24 PM

6. "lol"
In response to Reply # 4

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 01:54 AM

20. "this is too easy"
In response to Reply # 4

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49392 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 03:03 PM

31. "I think getting mad a politician adopting the policies of YOU politician..."
In response to Reply # 3

dumb. If you were all about Policy, then you should be happy that its getting adopted.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 09:20 PM

9. "so AOC isn't talking about Tulsi's proposal?"
In response to Reply # 2

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1239601226070753281

if she said she liked it somewhere lmk

Amritsar
32093 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 01:56 AM

21. "I feel like I missed an episode of this "
In response to Reply # 2

didn;t realize Vex rides for Tulsi too lollll

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 12:24 PM

5. "Romney too!"
In response to Reply # 0

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 12:30 PM

7. "Cotton/Cruz agree"
In response to Reply # 0

Republicans are going to run left of the Democrats on this over the next few years. They'll do it as fascists, and use the creation of a firmer social safety net as a way to reinforce white supremacy and to elbow out any marginalized people they can. But they'll sell it the same way as the Dems should, with an utterly reasonable grievance:

Why didn't the recovery address the needs of poor and working class people?

It's because they realize the things the Democrats refuse to, that the "socially liberal but fiscally responsible" thing is a startlingly unpopular position. It's visibility is due to its prevalence among our betters in traditional media, but nobody likes it. You can either swim against it by getting more racist or swim against it by taking the working class seriously, which doesn't just mean providing security - it means providing them political power.

Biden's probably not going to win, but even if he does, his victory would turn the party into a well-moneyed shell of itself, representing only people who take the NYT opinion section seriously.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 12:35 PM

8. "There's never been a better time to start-up a new, organized party"
In response to Reply # 7

and not just some half-baked effort to run a third-party candidate in the presidential election - but an actual organized effort on the local/state level - slowly but surely building momentum. Running a presidential candidate should be seen as the end-game for any new party.

But the two-party duopoly is washed and voters are ever-increasingly more repulsed by it.

-->

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 09:20 PM

10. "good luck with that"
In response to Reply # 8

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4872 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 09:32 PM

12. "LOL no, just no. People in your bubble? maybe"
In response to Reply # 8

We are living in an era of hyper-partisanship.

Its all tribal.

Please, please, please stop projecting your bubble to be reality.

It isn't. How have you not learned this yet?

And please, for the love of everything, study some history. America is a two party system. It is literally set up that way. Its not changing because your Twitter feed is mad at Joe Biden.

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 09:48 PM

13. "mans has no idea what a Whig is"
In response to Reply # 12

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 10:36 PM

15. "The usual miserable suspects in every post "
In response to Reply # 13

You guys ever get bored of trolling, whining and complaining while offering zero insight/facts?

Forget that more than half of Americans (57%) want a third (or even fourth) party - or that the under 40 electorate already essentially is comprised of third party voters:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/12/young-left-third-party/603232/

Let’s just listen to y’all and be nothing-will-ever-change cynics. Have fun with that.

-->

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 10:38 PM

16. "I wished you the absolute best of luck. what more do you want."
In response to Reply # 15

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 01:06 AM

19. "I thought the financial crisis of 2008/09 and with the rise of movements..."
In response to Reply # 15

like Occupy Wall Street on the left and the Tea Party of the right was going to bring that fabled 3rd or 4th party. It didn’t happen then and it won’t happen now.

A 3rd party could have emerged and slowly built a base as you described by winning local/state/regional/national elections over the last 11 years but that never happened. Why would it happen now?

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 12:42 PM

29. "RE: I thought the financial crisis of 2008/09 and with the rise of movem..."
In response to Reply # 19

>A 3rd party could have emerged and slowly built a base as you
>described by winning local/state/regional/national elections
>over the last 11 years but that never happened. Why would it
>happen now?

It didn't work over the last 11 years because nobody took it seriously. The Greens and Libertarians aren't serious. They are poorly organized.

-->

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Wed Mar-18-20 01:59 PM

36. "It's probably more due to the first past the post voting system."
In response to Reply # 29

Unless you can build a movement that outperforms at least one of the two current options from jump, you're going to get marginalized like any other third party initiative.

Lib Dems and UKIP in the UK shortly became relevant a few elections ago, and it caused a lot of raised eyebrows. Now they're firmly on the sidelines again, even with Labour in crisis over the past few years. The system just went back to a two-party equilibrium.

I don't think the lack of parties is the problem.

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 09:21 PM

11. "the idea that republicans will run to the left of democrats"
In response to Reply # 7

pops up all the time.

it also doesn't happen.

also: there is no right/left divide.
good talk

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 09:53 PM

14. "you ever notice that so-called UBI fans mention their political faves fi..."
In response to Reply # 0

and not the politicians who've actually implemented it like michael tubbs.

just people who they already like who do nothing, instead of cats who actually make it happen.

weird.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Mar-18-20 08:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
35. "good point. tubbs gets little recognition for being a visionary."
In response to Reply # 14

Amritsar
32093 posts
Thu Mar-19-20 10:10 AM

41. "came here for the Tubbs comment"
In response to Reply # 14

everyone else can fuck off lol

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Mar-16-20 10:44 PM

17. "Ilhan Omar becomes the first co-sponsor of Tulsi's bill"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/MasterChiefAmed/status/1239681400573394952?s=20

-->

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 12:11 AM

18. "I guess you're fine being wished good luck."
In response to Reply # 17

Triptych
Charter member
30124 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
22. "Fun watching the GOP do backflips to avoid giving money to poor people."
In response to Reply # 0

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 12:41 PM

28. "Actually seems to be some GOP members getting on board"
In response to Reply # 22

but yea - the selective GOP outrage at this type of proposal (while they don't blink twice at bailing out industries/wall street) is pretty rich.

-->

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 11:18 AM

23. "Sounds like the WH is getting on board too."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-17-20 11:21 AM by stravinskian

Some vague statements from Mnuchin about announcements to come, if I understood correctly.

All good.

To be clear, this isn't really UBI. The whole point of UBI is that it's a permanent thing. It's meant to change the fundamental structure of the economy. A lot of Democrats want to call it UBI so they can feel important. But this is an immediate economic stimulus, and the George W Bush administration literally did this multiple times. (Anyone shocked that Mitt Romney is on board is forgetting this recent history.)

It was the wrong strategy in the Bush years because then the goal was to increase consumer spending. The Obama administration recognized that people would be more likely to increase their spending if they got the extra money without noticing it, so they did (iirc) a payroll tax holiday in the stimulus bill.

In this case, the goal is not to increase consumer spending; it's emergency funding to help people cover rent and other unavoidable expenses while they're (hopefully temporarily) not able to work. For that, cash payments are better than a tax holiday (people who aren't working can't benefit from a payroll tax holiday), so it's good to see that they seem to be turning in this direction.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 11:54 AM

24. "Off top, I don't think this is the best route to go"
In response to Reply # 23
Tue Mar-17-20 11:57 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Just thinking this through, so I could be blind to some things.

I think any stimulus should be more targeted at the problem. The problem isn't a general lack of consumer demand. The demand is still there, people just can't access the businesses to spend.

The problem is that some businesses are being forced to shut/slow down due to this epidemic. Or sick/exposed folks can't go into work. As a result, those employees are going to be directly impacted. So money needs to go into those peoples' pockets.
Something like expanded (and quick) unemployment insurance, flexible paid family/medical leave (paid by the government, not the business).

I don't need $1,000. My situation has not changed due to this. All I'll do is save the extra money.

Also, I know we all hate business in here. But there needs to be some type of life line given to them to get through this. There are a lot of healthy businesses (particularly small business) that are not going to be here after this next month or two. Keeping them afloat will prevent a lot of economic pain in the future

stravinskian
12698 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 12:12 PM

25. "I definitely agree that it'd be better if it could be targeted."
In response to Reply # 24

I assume the argument against targeting is that it would require setting up rules, laws, bureaucracies, which would take too long to do. Meanwhile, people have immediate needs.

If it's just a matter of the Treasury cutting a check for everybody, that can be done in a week.

If we had a truly rational government, I imagine they'd do an immediate "check in the mail" stimulus right now and ALSO get quickly to work on something like the unemployment insurance expansions you mentioned for the months (or more) down the road.

>Also, I know we all hate business in here. But there needs to
>be some type of life line given to them to get through this.
>There are a lot of healthy businesses (particularly small
>business) that are not going to be here after this next month
>or two. Keeping them afloat will prevent a lot of economic
>pain in the future

I agree entirely. There'll be a hell of a lot of carnage if this lasts three months or more. And it will.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 12:20 PM

26. "we need to do both (or all)"

help people, ones that dont have jobs, ones that have been laid off, ones that have reduced hours, everyone

help small businesses, pretty much put on hold their expenses. if a company does not have demand then they need to close down while we go through this. those employees need help, the company owners need help. freeze lease/mortgage payments.

overall i think we need to help people with money and supplies while also putting a freeze on the economy. some business need to stay open because they provide services we need now. others not so much.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24413 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 01:11 PM

30. "100."
In response to Reply # 26

>help people, ones that dont have jobs, ones that have been
>laid off, ones that have reduced hours, everyone
>
>help small businesses, pretty much put on hold their expenses.
>if a company does not have demand then they need to close down
>while we go through this. those employees need help, the
>company owners need help. freeze lease/mortgage payments.
>
>overall i think we need to help people with money and supplies
>while also putting a freeze on the economy. some business need
>to stay open because they provide services we need now. others
>not so much.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

stravinskian
12698 posts
Wed Mar-18-20 03:00 PM

38. "I'm coming around to your view on this."

It's starting to sound like they could quickly raise the limits on standard unemployment. That infrastructure (assuming it can still act under quarantine) could take care of at least rudimentary means testing so that someone like me (with a good steady job in an area where it's cheap to live) doesn't get as much support as, say, a restaurant worker in San Francisco. It's not just that I don't need a thousand dollar check. It's that my thousand dollars could go to much better use elsewhere.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 12:39 PM

27. "Correct in that UBI has been proposed as a right of citizenship"

and not viewed as an emergency stimulus -- but implementing this plan now could be useful as sort of a beta testing to see how it would actually operate in practice.

-->

Triptych
Charter member
30124 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 11:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
34. "Trump hears "The US Gov't is making a $1T campaign donation.""

So it may happen. Whether or not it helps.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 03:10 PM

32. "WH consults with Yang on UBI stimulus implementation "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-17-20 03:12 PM by Vex_id

https://www.businessinsider.com/andrew-yang-white-house-about-direct-cash-payment-plan-coronavirus-2020-3

-->

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue Mar-17-20 03:11 PM

33. "Other useful action: End Iran Sanctions, End ICE action"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe we shouldn't let this become an opportunity to make American genocide more efficient.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Mar-18-20 02:47 PM

37. "I'd rather have a test "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-18-20 02:48 PM by bentagain

Anybody gonna die w/o a $1K check?

How many tests can we get for $1-2T?

That should be the priority, not the economy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49392 posts
Wed Mar-18-20 03:31 PM

39. ""There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks..."
In response to Reply # 0

where decades happen".

Andrew Yang can take credit and can build an entire political career off of moving UBI into the overton window.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5183 posts
Thu Mar-19-20 10:00 AM

40. "Tulsi Gabbard drops out of the Democratic presidential primary"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/tulsi-gabbard-drops-out-of-the-democratic-presidential-primary.html

Tulsi Gabbard said on Thursday that she has dropped out of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary race, after failing to gain traction in any of the nominating contests or in national polls.

“I want you to hear this from me first, friend,” she said in an email to supporters announcing her dropout. “I owe you an incredible debt of gratitude for all you’ve done as the heart and soul of our people-powered campaign: Today, I’ve made the decision to suspend my campaign for the presidency.″

Gabbard, the representative from Hawaii who officially jumped into the race in February 2019, never gained traction in national polls and lagged in fundraising. Yet she was the last woman standing in a race that saw a record six female candidates.

In the Iowa caucuses, the first contest in the 2020 primary, Gabbard received 0% of the vote, NBC News reported. She had similar results in the New Hampshire primary, the Nevada caucuses and the South Carolina primary.

She has long been seen as a controversial figure in politics, often at odds with her own party.

During her candidacy, she highlighted her record as an Iraq War veteran who would fight for good paying jobs and affordable health care.

But early on, Gabbard’s campaign came under fire for past work with her father’s anti-gay advocacy group. Her decision in 2016 to join Republicans in demanding President Barack Obama use the term “radical Islamic terrorism” and her 2017 trip to meet with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad received renewed criticism on the campaign trail.

Gabbard apologized for her past anti-LGBTQ remarks and said her position on Assad was misunderstood. She moved to the left on social issues like gay marriage and supported “Medicare for All” and a $15 minimum wage.

Her 2020 campaign received a flood of attention in October when former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton suggested on a popular podcast that the Russians were grooming a third-party candidate, apparently referring to Gabbard, whose candidacy had been promoted on some Russian websites linked to 2016 election interference.

“I’m not making any predictions, but I think they’ve got their eye on somebody who is currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate,” Clinton said. “She’s a favorite of the Russians.”

Gabbard dismissed the accusation and vowed not to run as a third-party candidate against Trump. In January, she sued Clinton, alleging defamation.

Gabbard had a stand-out moment during the first presidential debate, when she corrected Ohio Rep. Tim Ryan after he claimed that the Taliban committed the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

“The Taliban didn’t attack us on 9/11,” Gabbard shot back. “Al-Qaeda did.”

Her last debate performance was in November.

---------------------------
Signature

falafel stand pimpin
4381 posts
Thu Mar-19-20 04:12 PM

42. "Stimulus plan getting closer"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-19-20 04:15 PM by falafel stand pimpin

The White House's coronavirus stimulus plan could see every American get two $1,000 checks from the government within nine weeks, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said Thursday.

The $1 trillion package the White House and Senate Republicans plan on presenting would provide every adult American with a $1,000 check, plus another $500 for each child. A family with two parents and two children, for example, would get $3,000.

"As soon as Congress passes this we'd get this out in three weeks, and then six weeks later, if the president still has a national emergency, we'll deliver another $3,000," Mnuchin said. Earlier in the week, Mnuchin had pointed to a two-week target to send out cash payments.

That portion would amount to half of the bill's overall spending.

Another $300 billion in the bill would be used to help businesses keep people on payroll and offer loan forgiveness for those that do after the crisis ends.

Already, unemployment claims have shot up by some 33 percent between the first two weeks of March.

A final $200 billion would be devoted to securing lending to airlines and other critical industries hit hard by the pandemic.

The bill would be the third, and largest, in the government's response to coronavirus. The first $8.3 billion law focused on health agencies and first responders, while the second, which Trump signed Wednesday, put roughly $104 billion toward emergency paid leave, free coronavirus testing and expanded unemployment insurance.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/488412-mnuchin-americans-could-get-two-coronavirus-stimulus-checks-within-9

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Thu Mar-19-20 05:38 PM

43. "some details"
In response to Reply # 42

People with no federal tax liability would get only $600.
^ does that mean if you get a refund or only people that are not required to file?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-updates-senate-republicans-to-release-relief-bill.html

Cash payments of up to $1,200 would go to individuals, with up to $2,400 for couples. The sum would increase by $500 for every child. The check totals would start to phase out above $75,000 in adjusted gross income based on 2018 tax returns. People with no federal tax liability would get only $600.

It would extend the tax filing deadline to July 15 from April 15.

Under the legislation, corporations could delay estimated tax payments until Oct. 15. Employers and self-employed people could delay payroll taxes.

The bill allocates up to $50 billion for airlines, $8 billion for cargo air carriers, and $150 billion for other severely distressed businesses. The government has the right to “participate in the gains” of any business it lends money to.

For two years, no executive at a company receiving a business loan may make more than $425,000 in total compensation. Executives whose salary has already been determined through collective bargaining agreements may be exempt from that restriction.

Any company with less than 500 employees is entitled to a small business loan. The cap of that loan is either $10 million or the average of monthly payments. Businesses use the loan to pay for payroll including paid sick leave, salaries, mortgages, rent, utilities or other debt obligations.

The bill includes a range of measures to encourage the production of COVID-19 drug production and essential equipment such as masks and ventilators. It says all private health plans should cover testing without cost-sharing, and increases funding for community health centers. It also aims to spur the hiring of more health care professionals to fight the pandemic.

IsaIsaIsa
Member since May 01st 2008
5862 posts
Thu Mar-19-20 05:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
44. "Who?"
In response to Reply # 0

www.Tupreme.com

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Mar-23-20 11:41 AM

45. "how are those 'dems getting outflanked from the left by repubs' takes?"
In response to Reply # 0

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Mon Mar-23-20 11:49 AM

46. "They are simply as stupid as they ever were"
In response to Reply # 45

:)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Mon Mar-23-20 11:55 AM

47. "notice that the people who made them dropped them and just forgot about ..."
In response to Reply # 45

Lobby General Discussion topic #13373412 Previous topic | Next topic