Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13373118

Subject: "Who is sick here? (Cold, flu)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who is sick here? (Cold, flu)"

I woke up today and I KNOW I'll have a cold later today - I just feel it.

And are you freaking our over Covid-19?

I'm not freaking out - but I'm also not not freaking out.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i definitely am looking to stock up
Mar 13th 2020
My kids have the daycare crud. We took them to the doctor
Mar 13th 2020
I’m wondering if I already had a mild case of it
Mar 13th 2020
Me too. I got a cold that feld odd. Recovered. Then got another one.
Mar 13th 2020
      Yes - shortness of breathe too
Mar 13th 2020
I get allergies this time of year, every year.
Mar 13th 2020
Me too, and they just started a couple years ago
Mar 13th 2020
      i've gotten worse at being able to differentiate
Mar 13th 2020
           This is precisely where I'm at
Mar 13th 2020
I was a week ago, all good now.
Mar 13th 2020
so far. so good. WIfe's getting over a cold, youngest one too...I had
Mar 13th 2020
as an anxious, introverted asshole
Mar 13th 2020
Dry cough mean no phlem involved
Mar 13th 2020
dry as in no fluids are being expelled when you cough.
Mar 13th 2020
Yup have been for over 2 weeks
Mar 13th 2020
"reassuringly phlegmy"
Mar 13th 2020
I’m at the tail end of a cold.
Mar 13th 2020
wife is coughing a lot last 2 days.. i cant deny that it scares me :(
Mar 14th 2020

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 10:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i definitely am looking to stock up"
In response to Reply # 0

might be too late to do so but ill see what i can do.

i dont feel sick but the last few days i keep feeling like im about to catch something then it goes away.

my boss is sick, my officemate is sick. theyve been to the doctor, not corona. i might be catching that. no known cases of it within 400 miles so im not worried about my health or others near me.

i am worried about job getting shut down and bills if it comes to it.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 10:27 AM

2. "My kids have the daycare crud. We took them to the doctor"
In response to Reply # 0

just to be sure it wasn’t whooping cough since a classmate had it.

It’s the typical season sickness they get every year.

Wife also gets it every year, especially with the weather change.

I’m good tho. Knock on wood

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18635 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 10:29 AM

3. "I’m wondering if I already had a mild case of it"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-13-20 10:31 AM by DJR

Back in late January, I had something. Sore throat and flat out exhausted for about 3 days. I thought it was a cold coming on, as that’s how they always start for me. But I never got the runny nose, sneezing, etc. It just stayed in my throat and then chest. LOTS of coughing for a few days, and then that lessened but lingered for another week or so. Mouth was very dry and I couldn’t even drink enough water. I was downing so much of it but kept feeling like I needed more. I had a mild fever. And then it gradually went away. I didn’t know what it was, and honestly didn’t think much of it.

Reading the symptoms, it’s possible that I had it?

And given that I had the stomach bug for probably the first time since I was a kid in early January....I think I’m good on catching anything for awhile. I usually catch a cold every 6-8 months, and that’s about it.

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 10:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Me too. I got a cold that feld odd. Recovered. Then got another one."
In response to Reply # 3

My group at work of 8 people had 3 flu cases and 1 early onset bronchitis. Myself and my coworker both had colds. It was a mess.

The shortness of breath and sore throat were symptoms. Ongoing dry cough.

I'm sure that was seasonal stuff but I really don't get sick too often and to get two back to back colds and with all my other coworkers hit hard, it felt different than a normal year

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18635 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 10:58 AM

7. "Yes - shortness of breathe too"
In response to Reply # 4

I couldn’t breathe deep at all without coughing, and had a constant tickle feeling in my throat and then in my chest. It was extremely annoying for a few days. But again - I really thought little of it. Figured it was just some little virus.

There were LOTS of people that I work with who were sick in January too. Which isn’t unusual, but it felt like more than normal this year.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 10:43 AM

5. "I get allergies this time of year, every year."
In response to Reply # 0

And I can be a real hypochondriac.

So I'm having to actively remind myself not to overreact to every cough or achy muscle.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 11:33 AM

8. "Me too, and they just started a couple years ago"
In response to Reply # 5

So I'm not really used to the timing and all of the symptoms yet. It's turned out to be less than optimal when it comes to rational, even-keeled evaluations of my health.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 12:01 PM

10. "i've gotten worse at being able to differentiate"
In response to Reply # 8

i have mild allergies, and i tend to get one cold a year so when allergies kick in the first day feels like a toss up. Usually i won't know until i wake up the second day if it's just allergies or the cold has kicked in based on whether symptoms have changed or advanced/

>So I'm not really used to the timing and all of the symptoms
>yet. It's turned out to be less than optimal when it comes to
>rational, even-keeled evaluations of my health.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 12:28 PM

11. "This is precisely where I'm at"
In response to Reply # 10

>i have mild allergies, and i tend to get one cold a year so
>when allergies kick in the first day feels like a toss up.
>Usually i won't know until i wake up the second day if it's
>just allergies or the cold has kicked in based on whether
>symptoms have changed or advanced/

Throw in that growing up in a family with a really weird relationship with health stuff* and I've got a strong tendency to lie to myself based on need. Stuff nose and cough on a Monday with a tough week of work ahead of me? I'm sick. Same symptoms when I've got something that I'm looking forward to? Just allergies.

Just trying to be a good herd member right now. But spring is very *here* in the District of Columbia and these flowers and trees are just spraying directly into my big dumb face, so that means being intensely conservative.

*we just don't talk about it, like at all - but we also get sick really rarely so the older generation (like my mom and dad) kind of tend to relate those things with an end result that talking and worrying about your health is kind of treated as a moral flaw. I'm trying to break out of it, but it's weird to realize at moments how thorough it is in the way that I think about things and then having to deliberately un-fuck my thinking.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 10:43 AM

6. "I was a week ago, all good now."
In response to Reply # 0

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 11:52 AM

9. "so far. so good. WIfe's getting over a cold, youngest one too...I had"
In response to Reply # 0

something last Sunday that i'm not sure WHAT it was but I was incapacitated from 11am on Sunday until 7am on Monday.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 01:23 PM

12. "as an anxious, introverted asshole"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been training my whole life for this moment.

That said, what the fuck is a dry cough?? Every time I cough I try to analyze if it was dry or not like a legit crazy person.

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 02:16 PM

13. "Dry cough mean no phlem involved"
In response to Reply # 12

Wet cough
A wet cough, also called a productive cough, is a cough that typically brings up mucus. Wet coughs are commonly caused by a cold or the flu. They can come on slowly or quickly and may be accompanied by other symptoms, such as:

runny nose
postnasal drip
fatigue

---
Dry cough
A dry cough is a cough that doesn’t bring up mucus. It may feel like you have a tickle in the back of your throat triggering your cough reflex, giving you hacking coughs. Dry coughs are often difficult to control and may present in long fits. Dry coughs occur because there’s inflammation or irritation in your respiratory tract, but no excess mucus to cough up.

Dry coughs are often caused by upper respiratory infections, such as a cold or the flu. In both children and adults, it’s common for dry coughs to linger for several weeks after a cold or flu has passed. Other possible causes of dry cough include:
laryngitis
sore throat
croup
tonsillitis
sinusitis
asthma
allergies
gastroesophageal reflux disease
medications, especially ACE inhibitors
exposure to irritants such as air pollution, dust, or smoke

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 02:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "dry as in no fluids are being expelled when you cough."
In response to Reply # 12

just have that lil throat tickle that won't go away.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 02:24 PM

15. "Yup have been for over 2 weeks"
In response to Reply # 0

Great timing for paranoia! My symptoms are different though thankfully. My cough is reassuringly phlegmy and no fever etc.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 02:56 PM

16. ""reassuringly phlegmy""
In response to Reply # 15

Just really, extraordinarily good posting there. I like it very much.

--Walleye's Dad

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Fri Mar-13-20 08:29 PM

17. "I’m at the tail end of a cold. "
In response to Reply # 0

It arrived on Wednesday. Started as a drier cough, which made me paranoid. But! Now it’s mostly a wet cough with a mild runny nose and some minor aches.

No fever or difficulty breathing. I usually get a cold 1-3 times a year. My last one was in late October/early November or so.

I was smart enough to bring my work laptop home Wednesday night and pulled the “I need to WFH” trigger on Thursday morning. Boss texted me early this morning to ask about my symptoms. I tried to come in but he told me to keep my azz at home.

And now? HR is urging folks who can WFH to WFH henceforth.

*claps ass in excitement.*

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Sat Mar-14-20 09:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "wife is coughing a lot last 2 days.. i cant deny that it scares me :("
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Lobby General Discussion topic #13373118 Previous topic | Next topic