Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13368387

Subject: "The 40 year old grandparent" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79620 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 03:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The 40 year old grandparent"

Not my life but man... I can’t even fathom having a kid at 17 and then seeing them have a kid at 17 or 18.

Happy Friday.

Imma be looking like a granddaddy at my kids HS graduation tho so what do I know?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: The 40 year old grandparent
Feb 21st 2020
my aunt had my cousin at 15. he had his daughter at 18.
Feb 21st 2020
My coworker became one at 35 last year.
Feb 21st 2020
whatever nigga...
Feb 21st 2020
You are correct... and in my original post I mentioned the regret.
Feb 21st 2020
well, I’m sensitive about it...
Feb 21st 2020
      So am I. I was babysitting my junior and senior year of HS
Feb 21st 2020
      Unless they´re a Kappa.
Feb 22nd 2020
It's a balance. there's good & bad...
Feb 21st 2020
      right...
Feb 21st 2020
man, that cycle is harsh af.
Feb 21st 2020
I had a cousin who spent her whole 16 years babysitting her siblings
Feb 21st 2020
My parents were 41 when I made them grandparents...
Feb 21st 2020
This line right here is TRUTH:
Feb 21st 2020
Yup! Planning is overrated
Feb 22nd 2020
      If you know a lot of people with those problems it’s the water
Feb 22nd 2020
Young parents makes sense until you fatcor in modern society
Feb 21st 2020
Bro, that's why I don't feel guilty getting them stamps and shopping for...
Feb 21st 2020
man, I WISH i had kids way way way earlier
Feb 21st 2020
Exactly! 40 is too damn old!
Feb 22nd 2020
lol....the 40 year old new parent
Feb 21st 2020
Both my kids in my 40’s. That wasn’t the plan either.. lol
Feb 21st 2020
      glad that worked out for you fam.
Feb 21st 2020
There's one at my job. She's a year younger than me. People think
Feb 21st 2020
I will never forget a post here about a similar thing...
Feb 21st 2020

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 03:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: The 40 year old grandparent"
In response to Reply # 0

right.

I will be in my early 60's by the time my daughter graduates high school.

Meanwhile, the children of people I graduated high school with have kids who are already in middle school.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44853 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 03:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "my aunt had my cousin at 15. he had his daughter at 18."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-21-20 03:36 PM by Cold Truth

She did fairly well for herself. He's a complete trainwreck.

I don't attribute that to the ages though. He's just an idiot.

As for me... my daughter will graduate when I'm 48.

We've had a few discussions already about the future, and what the time line for graduating college would like like, so I'm already planting seeds of what relatively firm foundation will more or less look like. I've used examples of good and bad choices we've made.

I can't control her future, but hopefully enough of this sets in that she'll have a degree, a good job, and stability before she has kids.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 03:35 PM

3. "My coworker became one at 35 last year."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 03:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "whatever nigga..."
In response to Reply # 0

it’s a blessing to be able to see your children’s, children. The other day I watched my mother with her great grandkid. Just pray that you’re around to see it...

it’s beautiful...

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 03:56 PM

6. "You are correct... and in my original post I mentioned the regret. "
In response to Reply # 4

My kids will only hear stories about how fun and wild my parents were.

I love seeing my kids with my in laws.

But I also know the pain, damage and struggle that comes with having kids before you are a functioning adult.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:18 PM

10. "well, I’m sensitive about it..."
In response to Reply # 6

it’s not like it’s a choice. I was fortunate to have a strong support system so it was as hard as may have been for some. yet the sigma remains...

it’s a gift and curse...

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:55 PM

18. "So am I. I was babysitting my junior and senior year of HS "
In response to Reply # 10

Wonder if I would’ve got someone pregnant if I wasn’t spending those nights out look g for some cut up.

IsaIsaIsa
Member since May 01st 2008
5862 posts
Sat Feb-22-20 07:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "Unless they´re a Kappa."
In response to Reply # 10

>some. yet the sigma remains...

www.Tupreme.com

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:15 PM

9. "It's a balance. there's good & bad..."
In response to Reply # 4

My niece just had a daughter. Technically, it's my girl's niece (her sister's daughter). But with the birth of that baby, there are 5 generations currently alive in her family. That's amazing.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:22 PM

12. "right..."
In response to Reply # 9

a grandmother is a mother that got a second chance

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 03:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "man, that cycle is harsh af. "
In response to Reply # 0

glad we waited to make babies.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 03:59 PM

7. "I had a cousin who spent her whole 16 years babysitting her siblings "
In response to Reply # 5

because her momma was selfish.

I begged her to get out and live her life once she graduated HS. She was pregnant WHILE she was promising me she wouldn’t have a baby.

Life is a blessing but man.. I damn sure wasn’t ready at 18 or even at 30. I was too selfish and doing my thing.

We waited until we got that out of our system.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:13 PM

8. "My parents were 41 when I made them grandparents..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-21-20 04:28 PM by Creole

It was 1992 and I was 20. My 21st bday was still six months away. I was married and in the military. My son turns 28 in two months and my parents are still just grandparents.

My parents had me when they’d just turned 21. My dad was in Nam while my mom was back in Louisiana after a stint in Chicago.

Their grandchildren were present with them a month ago as we all celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

All that to say, it’s a ball watching my kids, including nieces and nephews, have their own individual relationships with my mom and dad.

All that waiting and planning ain’t necessarily the best because a lot of life gets missed. You could have saved a ton of money for your kids college fund but never gave them the opportunity to enjoy you playing with them. And IMHO, one is never ready to be a parent. You just do it when your number is called.

Edit: I just remembered that my last living grandparent has had the opportunity to see almost all of her grandchildren have children. Not only that but she's got a relationship with all of them too. In one case, my grandmother has a great-great grandchild.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:52 PM

16. "This line right here is TRUTH:"
In response to Reply # 8

>And IMHO, one is never ready to be a parent.

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Sat Feb-22-20 02:18 AM

22. "Yup! Planning is overrated"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat Feb-22-20 02:18 AM by Mori

I know so many people who lined every duck to plan their pregnancy, only for them to get some weird disease, have a kid with special needs, get a divorce or just not be able to have children.

I think all this planned parenthood rhetoric is designed to keep people from overpopulating. But it also creates other problems when we overthink how families are created.

Kids need energetic and healthy parents as much as they need financially stable and educated parents.

I wish I had my kid earlier in life. I don't even really need money to raise her. I just need more time, work flexibility and childcare support.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Sat Feb-22-20 09:02 AM

24. "If you know a lot of people with those problems it’s the water"
In response to Reply # 22

A lot of my wife’s friends are having kids in their mid to late 30’s and the biggest problem is preeclampsia (sp).

I know I thugged up that spelling.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:19 PM

11. "Young parents makes sense until you fatcor in modern society"
In response to Reply # 0

All these layers of bullshit getting in the way.

Meanwhile it seems far healthier physically for women to have children young, both parents get spend their youthful energy on their kids and they are still relatively young when their kids are "grown."

But this bullshit-ass society gets in the way off all that makes sense. Got 40+ yo folks talking about they ain't ready for kids YET. lol.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:32 PM

14. "Bro, that's why I don't feel guilty getting them stamps and shopping for..."
In response to Reply # 11

I used to feel guilty, shopping for or doing for myself, when my kids were young. Now, they're grown and damned near as independent as can be. My baby girl just turned 21 but it a junior in college. So, there's still that to work through.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 05:16 PM

20. "man, I WISH i had kids way way way earlier"

but its not just about having them earlier, the wish is really, I wish i was in the right place emotionally and financially to have had kids younger.

if i had kids in my 20s i would have FUCT them kids up royally.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Sat Feb-22-20 02:20 AM

23. "Exactly! 40 is too damn old!"

I am 42 with a toddler and I am exhausted with headaches, going to the doctor's every other month to make sure there is nothing terminal, stressed that I will be in my kids life long enough to really be there for her.

I feel like I was scammed into waiting to have a baby. As a woman, I tell all my younger friends, have your babies now worry about the relationship later!

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:27 PM

13. "lol....the 40 year old new parent"
In response to Reply # 0

get's theirs too imo...

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:53 PM

17. "Both my kids in my 40’s. That wasn’t the plan either.. lol"
In response to Reply # 13

It took longer than expected to have kids once we started trying

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 05:21 PM

21. "glad that worked out for you fam."
In response to Reply # 17

have known some folks who had issues when they were ready and I don't envy them one bit.

then I've seen others who would make great parents but never were able to find the partner.. then there's some of those who'd make gawd awful parents so that's good lol.

I had my first at 23.. could have been more established.. might've picked a better partner.. but I had the energy to do it all and now I'm here and they're all almost full grown.. no grandkids yet and honestly I'm not certain if any of them are gona have kids or not but there's time for all that... they wait till they're 40 though and I don't know how much of me there'll be left if any.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 04:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "There's one at my job. She's a year younger than me. People think"
In response to Reply # 0

her granddaughter is her child (she looks early 30s still). The granddaughre is like a year and a half now.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 05:15 PM

19. "I will never forget a post here about a similar thing..."
In response to Reply # 0

something like, the poster went to a bar and started chatting up a lady who was...35 or 36 and it turned out she was drinking with her son on his 21st birthday.

I remember that shit at least once every few months.

i also remember and have referenced a few times the story where a poster accidentally punched the shit out of some kid as a involuntary reaction to being pickpocketed.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Lobby General Discussion topic #13368387 Previous topic | Next topic