Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13367651

Subject: "anyone do Freshly or another meal service?" Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 03:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"anyone do Freshly or another meal service?"

That shit looks good and we're tired of deciding what to eat..usually its "out and thats not good. Seems nice to have meals all in one and packagaed just to take to work and to pull out for dinner. If you have, tell us the experience. Is it worth it? how's the quality etc?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
We have a place called Clean Eatz
Feb 18th 2020
this sounds like Sprouts
Feb 18th 2020
not worth it imo.
Feb 18th 2020
RE: not worth it imo.
Feb 18th 2020
I *tried* to.
Feb 18th 2020
An ex and I did Blue Apron for a couple months.
Feb 18th 2020
I did real eats for a while. we're both often too tired to cook
Feb 18th 2020
i did sun basket once...
Feb 18th 2020
We did Hello Fresh. Loved it for the most.
Feb 19th 2020
If I could just have a service prepare a weekly meal & shopping list....
Feb 19th 2020
No, but I do Imperfect Produce
Feb 19th 2020

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "We have a place called Clean Eatz"
In response to Reply # 0

They have a storefront where you can order lunch or you can buy frozen meals. It’s their regular hot meals just packaged in Small portions.

People buy them 10 to 20 at a time. About $6.50 a pop.

I eat lunch there but the frozen meal I got wasn’t really hittin like their hot meals.

May try them again because we have limited time to cook at home for the kids.

They like spaghetti tho so that’s my saving grace.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 03:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "this sounds like Sprouts "
In response to Reply # 1

>They have a storefront where you can order lunch or you can
>buy frozen meals. It’s their regular hot meals just packaged
>in Small portions.
>
>People buy them 10 to 20 at a time. About $6.50 a pop.
>
>I eat lunch there but the frozen meal I got wasn’t really
>hittin like their hot meals.
>
>May try them again because we have limited time to cook at
>home for the kids.
>
>They like spaghetti tho so that’s my saving grace.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 03:17 PM

3. "not worth it imo."
In response to Reply # 0

more expensive than just getting the ingredients at the store. and not much more convenient since you are still cooking it yourself.

and im sure you already get an idea how they finagle the 'per serving' cost estimates to make it seem much more valuable/attractive.

i only tried one because i had the usual discount code floating around *and* another cashback offer on my amex. so it was like double the discount. and still wasnt worth it.

if you get your produce from a farmers market than it makes the price seem even more silly.

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 03:19 PM

4. "RE: not worth it imo."
In response to Reply # 3

>more expensive than just getting the ingredients at the
>store. and not much more convenient since you are still
>cooking it yourself.
>

but freshly (at least) is prepakaged and ready to heat..no prep needed

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 03:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I *tried* to."
In response to Reply # 0

Their shit is janky as hell. I ran into two problems when I tried to sign up:

1. They wanted me to schedule my first delivery for like 2-3 weeks in the future. I can't plan out when I'm going to be at home that far in advance.

2. I go through the whole process of picking what I want and then the entire site glitches out on me multiple times.

I'm gonna try it again in a month and see if they got their shit together.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 06:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "An ex and I did Blue Apron for a couple months."
In response to Reply # 0

She stole a couple recipes from them over that time, but eventually we realized we weren't actually spending that much less than grocery/takeout overall. On my end, I started getting annoyed how much waste there was per box and on her end she (former chef) started missing the full loop of writing down a recipe, going to the store and picking the ingredients she likes the look of, prepping it all and cooking it.

By cutting everything out but the last bit, she felt like it took most of the fun out of cooking for her. And I've never enjoyed cooking so for me it didn't take away the part I didn't care for and just added the same if not more mess to the kitchen so I quickly fell back in favor of delivery services if I wanted an uncommon meal on a given night.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 06:24 PM

7. "I did real eats for a while. we're both often too tired to cook"
In response to Reply # 0

and fast food all the time is a killer.

they ship the meals in like sous vide bags and you just heat them up. they were decent enough but it was pricey and the annoyances of always planning it out sucked.

I'd really like it if I could find someone locally who prepped meals like that and didn't have ot go through the whole shipping thing

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 06:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "i did sun basket once..."
In response to Reply # 0

the food was really good...

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Wed Feb-19-20 01:31 AM

9. "We did Hello Fresh. Loved it for the most."
In response to Reply # 0

Most of the recipes were ended up turning out solid to REALLY FUCKING GOOD. One of the recipes was for these sweet potato quesadillas...we eat that shit all the time.

Everything was pre proportioned and the instructions were hella easy and it came with EVERY part of the recipe.

The best part? We had totally gotten bored with what we were eating so the best recipes we just "took" and we don't even have the subscription anymore but we still make them.

Also, it's super easy to find promo codes for these services.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Wed Feb-19-20 08:51 AM

10. "If I could just have a service prepare a weekly meal & shopping list...."
In response to Reply # 0

i'd be good with that.
That's the most time consuming part for us...
Figuring out a weeks worth of meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) for a family of four takes hours!

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Wed Feb-19-20 09:56 AM

11. "No, but I do Imperfect Produce"
In response to Reply # 0

it's all that, fully customizable bi-weekly deliveries. It gets us to eat more vegetables and to try a variety of new healthy-healthish non-produce items too.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13367651 Previous topic | Next topic