Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13367343

Subject: "High Fidelity on Hulu is pretty dope" Previous topic | Next topic
spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Feb-16-20 12:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"High Fidelity on Hulu is pretty dope"

I also like how the music syncs up with the mood onscreen perfectly. Big respect to Questlove on the music direction. Zoe did a great job. Writing and direction are good too, as are the supporting cast.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Thanks. I’ve skimmed over it multiple times...
Feb 16th 2020
multiple times since the 14th...
Feb 16th 2020
      yes, not very hard when you go into Hulu multiple times a day,
Feb 16th 2020
           maybe he doesn’t have Hulu?
Feb 17th 2020
           just basic shade...
Feb 17th 2020
                lol, appreciate the honesty...
Feb 17th 2020
I tried.. it wasn’t bad
Feb 17th 2020
this white love interest thing is apparently a trend
Feb 17th 2020
Ok, so I am not the only one.
Feb 18th 2020
She looks like she is 14.
Feb 18th 2020
If your black lead has a black partner it’s automatically a black show
Feb 18th 2020
Both of these things plus one other annoyance
Feb 18th 2020
      Fleabag does something really interesting with breaking the fourth wall....
Feb 18th 2020
           Funny you say that, because I quit Fleabag after like 4-5 episodes
Feb 18th 2020
yeah dope, could also see the lyonne/russian doll influences
Feb 17th 2020
Haven't watched yet, but that's a bummer
Feb 17th 2020
Feels like they're saving it for season two
Feb 18th 2020
saw a kerfluffle on Twitter about the MJ stuff in episode 2...gonna pass
Feb 19th 2020
There weren't really any jokes there... it was, imo, a valid discussion
Feb 19th 2020
RE: High Fidelity on Hulu is pretty dope
Feb 19th 2020

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sun Feb-16-20 01:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Thanks. I’ve skimmed over it multiple times..."
In response to Reply # 0

never really considered checking it out, though.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

sosumi
Member since May 30th 2012
858 posts
Sun Feb-16-20 09:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "multiple times since the 14th..."
In response to Reply # 1

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sun Feb-16-20 09:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "yes, not very hard when you go into Hulu multiple times a day,"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun Feb-16-20 09:27 PM by Dstl1

see it and watch something else. What was even the point of your reply?

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Mon Feb-17-20 08:21 AM

5. "maybe he doesn’t have Hulu? "
In response to Reply # 3

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

sosumi
858 posts
Mon Feb-17-20 06:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "just basic shade..."
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Feb-17-20 06:27 PM by sosumi

>see it and watch something else. What was even the point of
>your reply?

with the quest/zoe connection plus appreciating the movie (more than the book) with bonet cameo, it was an easy early morning binge

sadly, no ads hulu is cheaper than dvr for me so I'm always watching regular tv which makes these original releases more exciting

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Feb-17-20 08:17 PM

10. "lol, appreciate the honesty..."
In response to Reply # 7

I actually saw it the first time, Friday when I hopped on to watch the current episode of Brooklyn 99...which I never catch on Thursday nights when it airs. Saw it again, later that day, but ended up watching several episodes of First 48.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Mon Feb-17-20 08:19 AM

4. "I tried.. it wasn’t bad "
In response to Reply # 0

too many white love interest imo.

Not really a fan of the look into the camera and tell me your feelings

It’s one of the things that annoys me about Spike Lee’s work.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Feb-17-20 04:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "this white love interest thing is apparently a trend"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon Feb-17-20 04:53 PM by spirit

The CW does it a LOT. Like way out of proportion from the percentage of actual mixed race couples and the races in the couple always involve a white person. It’s kinda fabricated, but whatever.

I also still have a crush on Zoe’s mom Lisa Bonet, so watching her as a love interest is awkward for me LOL. Jokes

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 07:22 AM

11. "Ok, so I am not the only one. "
In response to Reply # 6

>I also still have a crush on Zoe’s mom Lisa Bonet, so
>watching her as a love interest is awkward for me LOL. Jokes
>

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 08:37 AM

14. "She looks like she is 14. "
In response to Reply # 11

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 08:12 AM

13. "If your black lead has a black partner it’s automatically a black show"
In response to Reply # 6

<--- Big Baller World Order

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 10:34 AM

15. "Both of these things plus one other annoyance"
In response to Reply # 4

The breaking of the 4th wall trope has long been played out to me. Extremely played out. I wish writers and directors would just stop using it.

And all of her love interests aside from Mac being white, and Mac being a black "other" was super wack.

It felt like musically, the show centered around The White Canon™
Not entirely, but enough that's it's super annoying. I did dig the reference to Os Mutantes and Caetano Veloso, though.

That being said, I do somewhat like the show. I'm about halfway through and I'll finish it in the next few days.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 01:45 PM

16. "Fleabag does something really interesting with breaking the fourth wall...."
In response to Reply # 15

*Spoilers*

Took me out of the show the first couple of episodes but the show is so good you get over it. By season 2 they suggest the breaking the fourth wall is part of her mental issues. Like the other characters are aware that she does it (sort of).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 02:49 PM

17. "Funny you say that, because I quit Fleabag after like 4-5 episodes"
In response to Reply # 16

And the breaking the 4th was one of the big things that turned me off about it.

--

sosumi
858 posts
Mon Feb-17-20 06:24 PM

8. "yeah dope, could also see the lyonne/russian doll influences"
In response to Reply # 0

only wish da'vine's character arch had ended more like jack black's

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Feb-17-20 07:09 PM

9. "Haven't watched yet, but that's a bummer"
In response to Reply # 8

Jack Black was a great comedic affect in the first hour and change of the movie, but what sells that character and makes him the most interesting to watch (especially compared to how he plays in the book) is how he comes full circle and he's not just a snob, he's a talented snob (and most viewers realize they were supposed to be relating to Dick, not the two weird bravado male fantasies). In other words, he steals the show/film not because he's a blowhard, but because he's just that big a deal.

Everything I've read about the show sounds like the updated a lot of the outdated/never-cool bits of the book/movie very smartly, bummer if what you say is true and they couldn't/didn't give her the same moment they gave Barry.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue Feb-18-20 07:56 AM

12. "Feels like they're saving it for season two"
In response to Reply # 8

I guess it's not a certainty that there isn't a season two yet, but Cherise's character got her own ambiguous ending plus the loose string of her meeting up with the kids... the record-thieving ones whose names I now forget... to record.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Feb-19-20 10:51 AM

18. "saw a kerfluffle on Twitter about the MJ stuff in episode 2...gonna pass"
In response to Reply # 0

I never saw the film so no connection there. And chill out with the Michael jokes

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Wed Feb-19-20 11:23 AM

19. "There weren't really any jokes there... it was, imo, a valid discussion"
In response to Reply # 18

about whether or not people should continue to consume his music.

--

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Wed Feb-19-20 02:58 PM

20. "RE: High Fidelity on Hulu is pretty dope"
In response to Reply # 0

She did a good job of transforming John Cusack's character into a woman.. Even some of the same idiosyncracies. Of course, her mom played the up and coming rock star love interest in the movie. Perhaps, it would come out that Zoe's character is the offspring of said romance?

I enjoyed it.

cosign on the white love interest pattern besides Mac, who is British black. They could have easily made one of her exes ADOS without making the show too Black for white audiences.

The MJ thing began to rub me and wife the wrong way at first; however, there were multiple perspectives being discussed/debated in that scene around MJ's records being bought/sold, so it rang somewhat true. It probably carries more weight currently than the scene I believe it paralleled from the movie - where Jack Black clowns on the would-be customer for asking if they had a copy of "I Just Called to Say I Love You" our of pure music snobbery elitism. The Off the Wall discussion was relevant and current.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13367343 Previous topic | Next topic