Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13362863

Subject: "Trying to budget better in 2020. I want to join Sams Club" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 08:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Trying to budget better in 2020. I want to join Sams Club"

but every time I go I don’t see the savings.

I think I’m still going to try it for a year and see how it works out. Maybe on tires and paper products? Ionno. Seems like the selections are limited on a lot of stuff and it’s not really cheaper.

One item I saw that makes sense is restaurant gift cards. $100 gift card for $85 dollars.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
gas might be cheaper.
Jan 20th 2020
I walked thru and didn’t see anything that convinced me we need to joi...
Jan 20th 2020
you don't have Costco?
Jan 20th 2020
We do. I may check them out again to see if it’s a better value.
Jan 20th 2020
that's what i meant mostly when i said "lesser."
Jan 20th 2020
      Costco's definitely worth it
Jan 20th 2020
RE: you don't have Costco?
Jan 20th 2020
Buying bulk at the regular market saves money
Jan 20th 2020
Trying to get better at this
Jan 20th 2020
Not really that you get good price...you just get a LOT at one time..
Jan 20th 2020
Thanks. I didn’t see what I was expecting when I went in
Jan 21st 2020
It's hard to say, and depends on which store
Jan 20th 2020
The big thing I want to do budget wise cook at home waaay more.
Jan 21st 2020
my weakness is lunch
Jan 21st 2020
There's a deal right now for memeberships
Jan 29th 2020
Thanks, there was a $50 deal online recently
Jan 29th 2020

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 10:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "gas might be cheaper."
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like those stores are for big ass fams. my fam of 4 can't really take advantage of the 'savings' on big box stores. with that said, I know a single lady with no kids that be doing Costco runs lo. Ye shrug.

we have a BJs membership. I haven't been in forever, but I keep it going since my mom uses it. and its not close to me.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 01:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I walked thru and didn’t see anything that convinced me we need to joi..."
In response to Reply # 1

I guess if we kept it to specific items we could come out ahead.

I’m not really seeing it since I’m good at finding deals at grocery stores.

My biggest problem is running in a store for 2 items and coming out with $50 dollars with of shit I didn’t know I needed.

But I have to look at stuff like batteries, tires, gas, paper towels and see if it makes sense.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 01:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "you don't have Costco?"
In response to Reply # 0

been a member of both. felt like Sam's was less savings and lesser in general.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 01:10 PM

4. "We do. I may check them out again to see if it’s a better value. "
In response to Reply # 2

Just felt like Sams didn’t have enough variety.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 03:03 PM

6. "that's what i meant mostly when i said "lesser.""
In response to Reply # 4

not that Costco has a huge variety either. those wholesale type companies limit variety on purpose. that said, i always felt like Costco had more options than Sam's when it came to specific items and ALSO that they just had more...stuff (???)...in general.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 08:51 PM

10. "Costco's definitely worth it"
In response to Reply # 6

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 10:16 PM

11. "RE: you don't have Costco?"
In response to Reply # 2

Costco sells better quality products IMO, e.g. more natural and organic options, i.e., Honest Kids juice boxes, organic tortilla chips.

My mom and dad like Costco for the following items: toilet paper, paper towel, Mobil 1 engine oil, eggs, butter, milk, dried fruit and nuts, large containers of spinach, electronics (specifically: TV and laptop gifts), almond butter, crackers, printer toner, AAA and AA batteries, laundry detergent, OxiClean powder, dish/dishwasher pods and soap, big ass bags of Kettle chips with Himalayan sea salt they don't need, computer paper, pain killer, vitamins and frozen chicken pot pies. These are routine purchases for them. I should note they have a large freezer in the basement to supplement the freezer in the kitchen. They buy a lot of Kirkland products (Costco's generic brand).

I recently purchased a new set of tires in November during one of Costco's many holiday sales. The free rotation and warranty policy is solid. The Citi Costo Anywhere Visa is a good credit card, too. Personally, I go to Costco weekly for the gas. They always have the cheapest fuel within a 30-mile radius of the crib. Every now and then, I'll stop by during the late morning or afternoon hours for the food samples.

They have reoccurring sales of household items every year. I always go for the Scotch shipping tape bundles. I go through thru that stuff fast due to my eBay hustle.

I should note that I'm bougie and I don't do business with the Walton family in general. I avoid Sam's Club and Walmart like the dickens. LOL.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 02:50 PM

5. "Buying bulk at the regular market saves money"
In response to Reply # 0

Like grabbing that 20lb bag of rice vs. a couple of 1lb bags. Or the giant bag of coffee, etc.

One thing my mom did (and I do) is stock up during sales. Argue with my girl about this because she'll get two if they're on sale, and I'm like why not get six or eight? It's not like we ain't gonna eat them.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 03:05 PM

7. "Trying to get better at this"
In response to Reply # 5

I buy 1 or 2 when on sale. Also we have these buy 2 get 3 free sales at Harris Teeter with cheese. I freeze a few bags.

If I see something on sale I’ll cop 2 but I don’t go in and get 5 or 6 or whatever the limit is.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 07:24 PM

8. "Not really that you get good price...you just get a LOT at one time.."
In response to Reply # 0

The unit price tends to work out the same as just buying from regular store in my experience. We kept Costco membership for about 3 years until we determined it wasn't really saving us anything beyond getting big ass sheet cakes for the kids birthday parties....

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jan-21-20 08:56 AM

12. "Thanks. I didn’t see what I was expecting when I went in"
In response to Reply # 8

Thought I would see some good discounts. Just seemed to be bigger bags and larger sizes of shit I don’t really use.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Mon Jan-20-20 07:49 PM

9. "It's hard to say, and depends on which store"
In response to Reply # 0

We have Costco, Sam's and BJ's in our area. Some goods, like detergent, paper products or bottled water, are well priced for the amount vs. what I can get at local stores or Walmart. On the one hand, the proces pretty much stay low, though they always have coupons and specials running. The bad thing is you buy in bulk, so while you can get a great deal on, say cereal, you have a HUGE box of cereal you have to go through or have it go bad.

Brand selection is also a factor. Each store has their own house brand, which may be fine. But if you are particuular about your katchup, toilet paper, aluminium foil etc, it pays to have a look at each store and see what they have and what you can afford to switch out.

I do a bit of grilling and smoking year round, and their butcher section is usually better than I can find at local markets. Even then, I have to figure out what store carries what. For instance, I can get racks of ribs anywhere, but Sam's and BJ's have 2 packs, and Costco has 3 packs, often for the same price. If i'm cooking a brisket, Costco has a better selection of whole packers vs. flats (flats can be found at any store, but I've a better chance of getting the packer (flat + point) at Costco), and even then, it depends on which Costco I go to if I want, say, a Prime brisket over a Choice brisket. Beef short ribs are good, but I've only found them at BJ's, and even then, only 1 of the 3 in my area has them in the case.

In short, it can be worth it, but you have to know what you want and which store carries it. Have a look around before plunking the annual membership.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49411 posts
Tue Jan-21-20 10:08 AM

13. "The big thing I want to do budget wise cook at home waaay more. "
In response to Reply # 0

We live in the city so it's just so easy to get some take out. Like there was this spanish spot accross the street from my house and I use to be able to feed my whole family breakfast for literally 5 dollars.

I don't bother to use the rice maker because I can get a box of rice instantly from accross the street for 1.50. A whole chicken for $10.

Well neighborhoods changing and lot of that pricing is gone and the boys are eating more. I need to just start cooking again.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jan-21-20 10:32 AM

14. "my weakness is lunch"
In response to Reply # 13

If I don’t prepare it before I go to sleep it ain’t happening

Hell, mornings can be so hectic sometimes I will pull out my lunch and leave it on the counter.

Trying to bring ok lunch the rest of the month.

My kids are young and picky so it doesn’t make sense to cook elaborate meals for them to refuse to eat. Plus they eat well at school.

and I need a new rice cooker.

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Wed Jan-29-20 01:16 PM

15. "There's a deal right now for memeberships"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw it on Slickdeals: https://slickdeals.net/f/13827302-sams-club-membership-savings-offer-join-for-45-and-get-45-back

Sam's Club via www.specialcluboffer.com offers New Members: 1-Year Sam's Club Membership + $45 Instant Savings Offer for $45 when you follow the steps below.

Steps
Enter your email to receive a unique promo code

Join in-club with the email or join online by clicking on the "Redeem Now" link in the email

Receive an offer for $45 off $45 or more of qualifying purchases
$45 offer is an Instant Savings offer and will be loaded onto new membership account within 72 hours of membership activation and is valid for 60 days thereafter.

Items purchased with individual Instant Savings offers are not eligible for this $45 offer.

Purchases of alcoholic beverages, tobacco, milk, fuel, pharmacy, gift cards, memberships or shipping costs are not included in this offer.

Offer valid until March 8, 2020.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Jan-29-20 01:57 PM

16. "Thanks, there was a $50 deal online recently"
In response to Reply # 15

but $30 of the savings were items I didn’t want or need.

I signed up 2 weeks ago but haven’t actually bought the membership. Think I’m going to chill or look at Costco again.

The more I compare the less it seems looks like a deal for our
Fam.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13362863 Previous topic | Next topic