Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13361767

Subject: "Should 5th graders be shown videos about prison? " Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 02:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: Should 5th graders be shown videos about prison? "

My son's substitute teacher had a discussion about choices. the topic started of with Lebron. Him growing up under single parenthood, being introduced to sports and choosing that lane.

Then onto the more recent story of a Spelman student who's 14 years old. She apparently knew what she wanted a 8 years old. I guess that's Spelman.

Next was consequences of certain choices, which included some video of prison life.

I don't know about you, but I don't think my 10 yr should know what the hole means. I was good with everything about choices, with the exception of the showing a vid. that's doing too much.

what say you, okp?

Poll result (6 votes)
yes! (5 votes)Vote
no! (0 votes)Vote
hell nawl (0 votes)Vote
wtf? (0 votes)Vote
this is what's wrong with society!! (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
in this age of information.....nothing wrong with it
Jan 10th 2020
not a fan.
Jan 10th 2020
I knew about prison, drugs, crime, diseases and death...
Jan 10th 2020
maybe.
Jan 10th 2020
Do you let your kids surf TV?
Jan 10th 2020
he watchs cartoons and has prolly seen
Jan 10th 2020
i think you're overreacting, but that's just my opinion.
Jan 10th 2020
there's was no over reaction lol
Jan 10th 2020
I don't think so. Not in the context of "choices" at least.
Jan 10th 2020
right.
Jan 10th 2020
If this were a homogeneous society or mostly so I'd say it's ok
Jan 10th 2020

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 03:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "in this age of information.....nothing wrong with it"
In response to Reply # 0

shit the minions went to jail, formed a gang, took over the yard and escaped in their movie lol
is it too real for your taste?

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 03:05 PM

3. "not a fan."
In response to Reply # 1

yeah, we're in an information age but that was too far for me. I'd be fine if she'd just stated what the possible outcomes could be. showing it and my kid coming home with jail terminology aint it.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 03:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I knew about prison, drugs, crime, diseases and death..."
In response to Reply # 0

...early in life. As far back as I can remember, so the lessons probably got started really early. Growing up in the city, understanding the pitfalls is critical to avoiding them.

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 03:13 PM

4. "maybe."
In response to Reply # 2

I grew up in the city too and learned a lot of stuff from the streets. don't remember what age I came into that knowledge.

knowing of it didn't necessarily make me or my folks stop doing dumb stuff. it actually made it seem like it wasn't so bad since so many of my peers and elders had been living that life.

you don't have to see a vid to avoid it some things. the message about consequences could've simply been stated rather than shown.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 03:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Do you let your kids surf TV?"
In response to Reply # 0

Asking because every channel seems to have prison life. Was this his first time hearing about prison life?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 03:52 PM

6. "he watchs cartoons and has prolly seen"
In response to Reply # 5

a few movies with the bad guy going to jail. those are fictional tho.

no, this isn't his first time hearing about it. we talk to him about making good decisions and potential outcomes of black boys when not doing so. so he's aware. this just seems extra to me.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 04:05 PM

7. "i think you're overreacting, but that's just my opinion."
In response to Reply # 0

also, you have the right to feel how you feel and raise you're kid how you want so...

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 04:34 PM

9. "there's was no over reaction lol"
In response to Reply # 7

my son told me this stuff yesterday. of course since he's 10, the story could be all over the place.

so I called to school to get better info. gave them my opinion. that's it.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 04:07 PM

8. "I don't think so. Not in the context of "choices" at least."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-10-20 04:08 PM by Brew

And especially when using LeBron as an example of a "choice." He's gifted as fuck and a lot of things had to go his way other than his gift in order for him to get where he is.

Most disadvantaged people don't have or make the "choice" and end up in prison anyway.

It's way more complex and nuanced for a 5th grader to possibly understand, IMO.

So I don't think this should be introduced to them, at least not in this context. And *definitely* not by a teacher. Let the parents handle that type of subject matter until maybe high school, when their brains are more developed and better able to comprehend the complexities of systemic racism, oppression, poverty, socioeconomic disadvantages and classism, etc. which would lead to prison moreso than just "choice" itself in a vacuum.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 04:55 PM

10. "right."
In response to Reply # 8

the context is part of the issue. most kids aren't going to be an all world ball player or a gifted teen in college. life doesn't work like that for most.

I thought about talking about the lack of choices because of systems, but decided not to.

hopefully, she sends me the vid so I can see what is really shows. if nothing else, I can use this to talk more about things and give him more of the nuances.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 04:56 PM

11. "If this were a homogeneous society or mostly so I'd say it's ok"
In response to Reply # 0

But with the school to prison pipeline being a very real thing my concern is it would more likely be used to familiarize our group (primarily) with prison.

Music already pushes a pro violence pro incarceration message and then you get more desensitizing at school is how I see it playing out.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Lobby General Discussion topic #13361767 Previous topic | Next topic