Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13361691

Subject: "I was in the Black Eyed Peas. Then I quit. New York Times doc on Kim Hil..." Previous topic | Next topic
Airbreed
Charter member
29430 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I was in the Black Eyed Peas. Then I quit. New York Times doc on Kim Hil..."
Fri Jan-10-20 11:29 AM by Airbreed

The NYT did a mini-doc on Kim Hill, former vocalist and co-writer for the BEPs. Never thought anyone would've remembered her. Pretty interesting stuff. She goes into her upbringing in a single parent home in a white neighborhood and pretty much squashes the rumor that Will kicked her out of the group for the white girl.

Peruse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkSDNxM1w58

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Pretty sure there was a post on this already.
Jan 10th 2020
it was deleted then we discussed it in a confession post lol
Jan 10th 2020
I made eye contact with her when the BEPs performed at my
Jan 10th 2020
RE: I was in the Black Eyed Peas. Then I quit. New York Times doc on Kim...
Jan 14th 2020
Good post
Jan 14th 2020
so the Exec wanted the black girl to sexualize, yet when white girl
Jan 14th 2020
This was great. And she's right.
Jan 14th 2020
Damn. Glad she's doing well. But that's a crazy story.
Jan 14th 2020

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79334 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 11:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Pretty sure there was a post on this already. "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16404 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 11:50 AM

3. "it was deleted then we discussed it in a confession post lol"
In response to Reply # 1

Teknontheou
Charter member
32707 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 11:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I made eye contact with her when the BEPs performed at my "
In response to Reply # 0

school in 1999.

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 04:18 AM

4. "RE: I was in the Black Eyed Peas. Then I quit. New York Times doc on Kim..."
In response to Reply # 0

She was dope.

I remember she had a few features on Slim Kid Tre's first solo LP.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 01:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Good post"
In response to Reply # 0

that's real yo

I dug it (the truth in it). Good looking out

lsymone
Member since Nov 03rd 2007
7401 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 02:55 PM

6. "so the Exec wanted the black girl to sexualize, yet when white girl"
In response to Reply # 0

joins the group i didnt notice Fergie being too sexual w/ the boys, granted i only went to one concert and she dance with them barely grind on any of them.

take a message

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43718 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 03:58 PM

7. "This was great. And she's right."
In response to Reply # 0

That sort of was the last gasp of fun loving, light hip hop. That's exactly how I remember that time. You couldn't escape how dope the BEP live shows were back then - even the people who thought they were corny appreciated the live shows. That second album was a dud and it seemed like they had all the momentum...then they decided to tour with Timberlake and get featured as the Okayplayer artist of the month (REMEMBER THAT?) and it all changed.

Will seems like a dude who knows exactly what he's doing.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24376 posts
Tue Jan-14-20 04:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Damn. Glad she's doing well. But that's a crazy story."
In response to Reply # 0

I remember her vaguely from when I bought their first couple albums. Always wondered what had happened to her but assumed it was the machine. Never heard any rumor about Will kicking her out but not surprised that that false narrative came up.

That part at the 10 minute mark where they hit it big made my heart jump for Kim lol. Like *she* made the choice so it's not like she had any ill will but as she touched on, it still must've stung a little bit. Haha.

Good for her for having the bravery not to sell herself out to do things she wasn't comfortable with. And good on her for being so gracious about what came after. That's dope.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Lobby General Discussion topic #13361691 Previous topic | Next topic