Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13361613

Subject: "reminisce with me: Your top 5 favorite gradeschool field trips" Previous topic | Next topic
Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"reminisce with me: Your top 5 favorite gradeschool field trips"

mine:

the top was the Jolly Rancher factory which used to be in the town where I went to school so annually through elementary we would get a trip there

it was kid heaven (this was back in the day when they used to have those big "planks" - and more flavors - and not just the small penny-candy squares like they have since Hershey bought them out)

2nd favorite was the plan where they made grocery store cookies (again: food samples)

after that came the zoo, the nat. hist museum and then the children's art museum

once we went to a puppetry museum which was dope but it may just have been an exhibit as one of the former (the memory is fuzzy)

shoutouts to the fast lil girls that would let you feel them up on the bus ride

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
DC; Old Salem; Asheboro Zoo; DC; Disneyworld (this was with enrichment c...
Jan 09th 2020
In high school the FBLA club got to stay at the BroadMoor
Jan 09th 2020
Bruh....
Jan 09th 2020
grammar school...
Jan 09th 2020
no rhyme, no reason
Jan 09th 2020
grade school is only elementary right?
Jan 09th 2020
RE: grade school is only elementary right?
Jan 09th 2020
      RE: grade school is only elementary right?
Jan 10th 2020
Camp Hi-Hill
Jan 09th 2020
Lettuce, cheese, and grape jelly sandwiches
Jan 09th 2020
Pittsburgh schools had an annual Kennywood Amusement Park trip
Jan 09th 2020
Skidaway Island
Jan 09th 2020
Our 9th grade DC trip went to Williamsburg
Jan 10th 2020
There are only 3 that stick out
Jan 10th 2020
most memorable was 6th Grade Outdoor Education (6th grade camp)
Jan 10th 2020
I think mine has to be the OuterBanks, NC
Jan 10th 2020
Bronx Zoo & Museum of Natural History...
Jan 10th 2020

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 04:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "DC; Old Salem; Asheboro Zoo; DC; Disneyworld (this was with enrichment c..."
In response to Reply # 0

Matter of fact, I think most of the trips overnight were a part of the GAMSEC (Greensboro Area Math Science & Engineering Camp)or upward bound programs I was in from middle school up through high school.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 04:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "In high school the FBLA club got to stay at the BroadMoor"
In response to Reply # 1

(fbla = future business leaders of america)

to this day that is the nicest place I've ever stayed

though it reminded me a lot of the Overlook Hotel from The Shining

it was dope because it was the National Convention and kids from all over the country were there

i had hella fun on that trip (again shoutout to fast lil girls...this time from Houston)

Sleepy300
Member since Dec 15th 2003
264 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 05:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. " Bruh...."
In response to Reply # 1

Maaaaan I missed all of the GAMSEC trips! Only could go to MSEN Day #stillmad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check ya self, what percentage is you? (c) Jay-Z

"I mean yeah I be lurking and shit...but I'm saying though..."

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 04:39 PM

3. "grammar school..."
In response to Reply # 0

is what we called grade school it must be a buffalo thing, lol

to this day I think I don’t like animals because we visited the zoo so much. Our school was next to it. Our lunchroom faced the bisons...

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 04:46 PM

5. "no rhyme, no reason"
In response to Reply # 3

k-5 = elementary, i think this is what y'all call grammar school back east
6-8 = middle school
9-12 = high school

technically they are all "grades" (shrug)

i didn't want to limit the post

ps - having to live/eat near any large animal sounds kinds hellacious

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 04:45 PM

4. "grade school is only elementary right?"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont really remember many field trips

favorite one was the planetarium.

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 04:47 PM

6. "RE: grade school is only elementary right?"
In response to Reply # 4

see #5

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 10:47 AM

15. "RE: grade school is only elementary right?"
In response to Reply # 6

so on that planetarium one i was straight geeking. just the explanation of the stars and constellations and all captivated me.

other memorable trip i can think of is going to the local amusement park. i think it was middle school. what i remember the most was some girl rubbing up against me. no idea who she was and definitely a missed opportunity lol she was pretty aggressive with it too.

rides were cool too. didnt really get to go much so i was legit happy to go to the amusement park

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 05:23 PM

7. "Camp Hi-Hill"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-09-20 05:30 PM by infin8

http://www.gazettes.com/long-beach-unified-closes-science-centered-camp-hi-hill/article_fb7d04c0-f9fd-590c-9a91-7a2eb8b03ca7.html

Mt. Wilson, CA

just read it's been closed for like 12 years

My parents couldn't afford it, but I think the teachers made it happen (maybe it was some friends from the Kingdom Hall), hard to recall now. I don't even think I told my parents, I was just gonna forego the whole thing. My mom was mad that I didn't say anything. But I was one of those kids who didn't wanna burden my parents cause I kinda knew we didn't have it like that.

I kept a piece of wood that had a gall on it from wasps well into my adult life, and some other joint that this girl I really liked signed.

Mott Farm - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applewood_(Flint,_Michigan)

one of the last trips before we moved to CA from MI

I think we rode around in a horse/buggy or something. I remember having fresh fruit and juice. That shit hit different back then.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6023 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 07:57 PM

9. "Lettuce, cheese, and grape jelly sandwiches"
In response to Reply # 0

4th and 5th grade camping

yes, i know the sandwich sounds gross but it was surprisingly good

4th grade we stayed in cabins with bunkbeds and A/C

5th grade we stayed out in the woods in tents we had to make ourselves

SO much fun

i wish i knew where exactly we went back then so i could visit

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 09:19 PM

10. "Pittsburgh schools had an annual Kennywood Amusement Park trip "
In response to Reply # 0

We used to get fly for that day because you would see kids from other schools.

We went to WQED where they film Mr Rogers. Got to see the tree, the trolley and all the props for the show and on the way out we saw Mr Rodgers coming in. Man, kids were screaming and hype when we saw him.

Pittsburgh Zoo was always live.

We had a Pop Warner football camp. It was the shit. Our football teams and cheerleaders went to camp for a week at this farm. Only thing that sucked was practice but after practice it was swimming, motorbikes and 4 wheelers or just kicking it with friends. Group showers sucked tho. That shit felt like prison.

Last one is summer camp at the community center. We mostly went to the wave pool. They also had an Olympic style platform high dive. It had a viewing window at the deep end where you could see people dive in. My cousin used to jump off and moon the people under water. That wave pool was fun as shit unless you were close to the wall. Then it was like you were in a tsunami.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Thu Jan-09-20 10:14 PM

11. "Skidaway Island"
In response to Reply # 0

I was in the gifted program, in elementary school, which to tell the truth I hated. To me it was just extra class work, just to give my parents something to brag about. We did however go on some dope field trips.

The most memorable was a weekend trip to the Skidaway Oceanography Institute, off the coast of Savannah.

https://www.skio.uga.edu/

Seventh grade was Space Camp in Huntsville, AL, which was also a great trip.

The big end of year trip for the whole seventh grade was Disney World. It was definitely fun, but not quite as memorable as those gifted class trips.

Another memorable trip was Colonial Williamsburg. Memorable in the fact that it was my first extended sleepaway trip. Williamsburg itself was boring as hell, but it was my first time staying in a hotel, away from my folks.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 08:17 AM

12. "Our 9th grade DC trip went to Williamsburg "
In response to Reply # 11

man.. there was a set of twins that were fine af from another school. That’s the only thing memorable about that place.

We also went to the amusement park but I can’t even remember the name of that place. It only had 2 rollercoasters.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 09:21 AM

13. "There are only 3 that stick out"
In response to Reply # 0

6th grade - Camden aquarium. I just remember having a great time. The most distinct memory of it was after seeing everything, we were all playing around and someone took pictures. Never seen the pics, but I remember that being fun.

7th Grade - we went to the Philly zoo. as 7th graders were did a joint field trip with the 1st grades. It was fun, but the thing I remember the most was me trying to show off to my friend by hitting on girls from others schools. Very cringy. To one girl I went up to and said if she was down with my bling, lol. I'm still close friends with one of the guys from that year and we talk about it.

8th grade - field trip to DC. Full hormones going. There was a girl I had a crush on and on the trip back she let me put my head on her lap and she caressed my hair for a while. The most memorable things that happened was on the ride there a girl stuck a pad to the bus window after putting red marker all over it. Then our teach got tipy/drunk (don't recall how bad it was), she got in a lot of trouble. Next year, all the teachers involved were gone. Good though, she was an awful teacher.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 10:34 AM

14. "most memorable was 6th Grade Outdoor Education (6th grade camp)"
In response to Reply # 0

Our camp was up near Columbia (on the way to Yosemite)

a week of being away from your parents, in a dorm with your buddies, trying to sneak over to the girls' dorm.

We also did cool outdoorsy shit like night hikes. And crawling through caverns.I also remember a real nice outdoor basketball court that we put work in -- yet somehow the altitude did not affect us lol

Sleepy300
Member since Dec 15th 2003
264 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 11:52 AM

16. "I think mine has to be the OuterBanks, NC"
In response to Reply # 0

Had a lot of school trips but as far as overnight, I'd have to go with the 5th grade trip to the beach in Morehead City, NC.

For us, in 3/4/5th grade we had trips that were for 3days and 2 nights:
3rd - It was Betsy Jeff Penn
4th - Camp Thunderbird
5th - The Beach

3rd and 4th trips were cool (in hindsight - no way I would have let my kids take a trip away that long, that early but hey...being a kid in the 80s was different time, lol)

5th grade seemed like the ultimate:
- last year before heading to middle school
- Young enough to enjoy the kid stuff still (the food / enjoying the beach / seeing the counselor get bit by a blue crab, lol)
- starting to realize your powers (or lack thereof depending on where you fell at the time) with the ladies

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Fri Jan-10-20 11:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "Bronx Zoo & Museum of Natural History..."
In response to Reply # 0

...those were the ones that stand out

Lobby General Discussion topic #13361613 Previous topic | Next topic