Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13360707

Subject: "Talking cars on a Tuesday" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Dec-31-19 09:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Talking cars on a Tuesday"

Dealership tried to get my wife for 1K. Engine light came on and the car was sluggish. Got a p2565 code. Thought it would be an easy fix. Wife made the mistake of asking for a car inspection from the dealership so they tried the “you need to fix this and that” or it won’t be street legal. I tell them nope and ask for the keys. The engine light wasn’t even on and the car wasn’t sluggish anymore. Wtf? Read that cold weather can cause that code and we had the car outside of the garage for the holidays.

Dodged a major bullet.

But now my VW has a funny smell. No engine light but it smells like something is burning. Doesn’t need an oil change but I think I will get one next week to be on the safe side. Saw a little drip in the driveway so I wonder if there is burn off from a leak?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What's the p2565 code?
Dec 31st 2019
Turbocharger boost control
Dec 31st 2019
      Well, that would explain the sluggishness
Dec 31st 2019
           Nah. That’s it.
Dec 31st 2019
That code is for a turbo boost control sensor...
Dec 31st 2019
fckn VWs man...always something...smh..& they bout to make a slew of ele...
Dec 31st 2019
Scotty Kilmer on YouTube
Dec 31st 2019
Welp. Light came back on. Car is at a mechanic
Jan 08th 2020
Top couple lines on the rear windshield defroster ain't working
Jan 08th 2020

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Tue Dec-31-19 10:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "What's the p2565 code?"
In response to Reply # 0

At the very least check online and see what the code is pertaining to your car. Could be an emissions thing, could be a sensor starting to go wonky, could be nothing. Either way it will give you an idea on what to look for going forward.

The oil could be totally unrelated and/or possibly in your head. Still, check your levels and see if you notice a leak under the hood or under the car somewhere.

What exactly did the shop say was wrong with the car? While they may have either inflated the cost or severity of the issues, at least have them looked at from someone else.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Dec-31-19 10:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Turbocharger boost control"
In response to Reply # 1

They were going to change the valve solenoid??? Which was $300 and another $450 for labor.

All the forums I found on the code didn’t have cost anywhere near that high. I called another shop and dude said it could be a real issue or it could be as simple as low oil. The car NEEDS an oil change regardless. Just made me wonder if cold weather and low oil caused the engine light and code. The light is no longer on the car is back to running like normal.

I’ll keep an eye on it and see what happens when I get it inspected.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Tue Dec-31-19 10:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Well, that would explain the sluggishness"
In response to Reply # 2

If the turbo isn't making boost, the car will feel slow. Definitely get the oil changed and keep an eye on it. That could be the end of it, or the solenoid could legit be on the way out. Do the easy stuff first, and go from there. If it happens again, at least you know what to look for first.

Anything else the tech said needed to be replaced or fixed?

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Dec-31-19 11:15 AM

4. "Nah. That’s it. "
In response to Reply # 3

Hopefully it’s no longer an issue.

I know we will have to spend money to keep these cars moving now that they are over 100K miles but I swear it’s like cars and mechanics smell when you got money coming in.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Dec-31-19 11:21 AM

5. "That code is for a turbo boost control sensor..."
In response to Reply # 0

just another means of information for the PCM to determine the amount of boost the turbo gives the engine. It could result in lack of acceleration, bad fuel mileage or just the check engine light...or all three.

You drive a VW? It’s leaking oil. Period. If you smell oil burning...probably a valve cover or oil separator. They also leak from the vacuum pump and rear main seal.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Tue Dec-31-19 05:17 PM

6. "fckn VWs man...always something...smh..& they bout to make a slew of ele..."
In response to Reply # 0

vehicles....smh...

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Tue Dec-31-19 05:53 PM

7. "Scotty Kilmer on YouTube"
In response to Reply # 0

is one of my new, embarassing faves on YouTube. I discovered him while researching cars this summer. I let his videos run in the background so I can learn about car maintenance and listen to him shit on various cars models and manufacturers.

https://www.youtube.com/user/scottykilmer

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Jan-08-20 12:20 PM

8. "Welp. Light came back on. Car is at a mechanic"
In response to Reply # 0

Trying to see if they can give me a better number than the dealership.

It drove well for 2 weeks. At least we know what the problem is.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Wed Jan-08-20 02:47 PM

9. "Top couple lines on the rear windshield defroster ain't working"
In response to Reply # 0

Is this a problem with those painted-on metal lines on the windshield, or something else? Noticed this when defrosting the car for Ms. flipnile this morning.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13360707 Previous topic | Next topic