Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13357546

Subject: "Have you ever known someone who was fired cause a customer complained? " Previous topic | Next topic
kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Wed Nov-27-19 11:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Have you ever known someone who was fired cause a customer complained? "

I'm a manager and lost my cool with a customer today. My whole team felt me but I'm not proud of it, even though I don't really blame myself because all these shitty customers are wearing me down.

Still, this customer came in talking shit and eventually I cursed at her and seconds later denied it because duh. It's her word against mine and my team who are loyal to me.

This broad talking about "I'm going to tell and you gonna be out of a job"

I couldn't but I really wanted to say to her "do you really think it works that way: you complain and I'm instantly out of a job?" but I know she would repeat that shit to whoever she complains to.

Most likely, whoever she complains to will see her as an unreasonable customer among many even while they placate her. My boss may email me and ask "did you say that?" but I'll just lie because duh; it's my word against random crazy customer.

outside of something like racism or sexism; have you ever known someone who was fired because a Karen ass customer complained?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yep. me.
Nov 27th 2019
what happened?
Nov 27th 2019
      back when I worked for Tower Records...
Nov 28th 2019
           Tower shoplifting
Nov 28th 2019
           we tagged all our stuff. we were in "high crime" area though.
Nov 28th 2019
           Sucks to get fired especially from a gig you love
Nov 29th 2019
My manager told me the customer isn’t always right
Nov 29th 2019
18 got fired from a valet job my first day. to this day don't know why
Nov 30th 2019
Probably looked him in the eye, had too much bass in your voice
Dec 03rd 2019
me
Dec 01st 2019
No, but where I'm at, people stay trying to make that happen
Dec 02nd 2019
LOL Nope. But they damn sure try though.
Dec 02nd 2019
I was fired based on a complaint from a celeb
Dec 02nd 2019

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Wed Nov-27-19 11:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "yep. me."
In response to Reply # 0

it was some bullshit but TECHNICALLY i violated a store policy even though my "violation" was standard operating procedure.

if you wanna hear the details, lemme know.

kevlar skully
6049 posts
Wed Nov-27-19 11:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "what happened? "
In response to Reply # 1

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Thu Nov-28-19 12:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "back when I worked for Tower Records..."
In response to Reply # 2

we had TERRIBLE store security. by that I mean, I think as a cost savings measure they were only there about 4 days a week, and even then they never seemed as good as I was at spotting shoplifters (but that's probably because i shoplifted A LOT and was very successful as a teen).

so, I took it upon myself, sometimes even when they were there, to stop shoplifters. i found it fun and challenging. as such, i commonly stopped people in the act and instead of making a huge deal out of it (letting them get the product out of the store then having to stop them and have the cops come) i'd tell them to hand the shit over to me then i'd kick them out of the store and tell them to never come back.

sooooooooooooooo...there was this guy that used to come in all the time. he wasn't a theif, but he never bought anything and he'd always be looking for promo shit that we'd give out, which is fine. but one day, we had just got some promo CDs and stickers and he came and basically just scooped them all up and put them in his bag. i already didn't like this dude because he just had air of douchebaggery. so, after i saw him put all this promo shit in his bag, i approached him and asked him, nicely at first, to put ost of that shit back...that it wasn't for him to just take it all just because it was free but it was so many people had the opportunity to enjoy it. he argued back at me and eventually i kicked him out of the store.

next day i come to work i get called into the managers office and my manager, who was super cool and my homie, told me dude complained to corporate. of course he lied and said i swore at him (i didn't) and put my hands on him (i didn't, there were witnesses) and he asked for 100 dollar gift card for his troubles. i told my manager what really happened and he tried to ride for me but corporate decided to fire me (after workin there for 4 years and being the best employee especially when it came to helping customers either with finding music they wanted OR recommending new stuff - of course corporate didn't know that or care) because I KICKED HIM OUT OF THE STORE. that was a violation of policy because only managers or security staff can kick patrons out.

fuck i was salty because it was common practice and i saved the company 10's of thousands of dollars over my time there stopping shoplifters...my manager even knew and was happy i did it.

in hindsight, it set in motion the rest of my professional life and for that i'm grateful in hindsight, but man, i loved that job.

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Thu Nov-28-19 09:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Tower shoplifting "
In response to Reply # 3

You brought back so many memories of the late 90s...

It all started when I overheard an employee tell another one, “we only put the anti theft tags on rap music, because nobody steals anything else.” My jazz collection took off after that.

You didn’t have to conceal anything, and because they only put those big bulky plastic cases (blister packs?) on the rap stuff, you could carry a ton of rock/jazz/classical cds in each hand and just...walk the fuck out.

My crew and I would go and make a night of it sometimes, to see who could score the most cds.

I did finally almost get caught tho, and had to shut it down. When Tower went under a few years later, my sense of loss was a little complicated by my guilt lol.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Thu Nov-28-19 02:31 PM

5. "we tagged all our stuff. we were in "high crime" area though."
In response to Reply # 4

what's funny is when i started, our location was in one place. about halfway thru my time there we moved up a block to a new place. the new place was so cavernous (it had HIGH ceilings) that one of the biggest ways i would catch people was hearing them taking off the security tags. they stuck really well to the cellophane so it was hard to take them off quietly and if it was loud, you could hear that shit thru the whole store if you were paying attention, cuz w/ the high ceilings it would like, echo throughout the place.

kevlar skully
6049 posts
Fri Nov-29-19 12:25 AM

6. "Sucks to get fired especially from a gig you love"
In response to Reply # 3

Fuck corporate and appealing to shitty people who complain about dumb shit. They gave this one dude a $50 gift and $25 from the host store

I wish I could kick people out.

The host store has no security at all beside cameras. Once I walked in on three cops interrogating a riff raff look alike in the backroom.

Losing a gig really does open up new opportunities. That's some shit I think about everyday for real ha

Good looking out; I wanted to read a story

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79600 posts
Fri Nov-29-19 09:13 AM

7. "My manager told me the customer isn’t always right"
In response to Reply # 0

She was a sassy older white lady who grew up poor af.

I really wished I woulda had her blessing before that day because I wanted to cuss this woman out.

That shit still burns me up.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Sat Nov-30-19 02:40 PM

8. "18 got fired from a valet job my first day. to this day don't know why"
In response to Reply # 0

Restaurant in Malibu, i'm parking cars a couple hours, it's still daytime. evening is approaching an the supervisor tells me to direct traffic. This Benz pulls up middle aged man and old woman, the guy tells me we need a handicapped spot, I say absolutely sir, just pull a few feet up to that gentleman right there and he'll take care of you. The guy gets out of the car furious and tells me, "Get your manager right now, your're fired". I'm hella confused. He starts to grab my arm like do it now. I pull my arm up to knock his off of mine. I walk over to the manager, knowing i did nothing wrong, I motion over almost laughing like "that dude over there is saying i'm fired". He looks over at the guy, and says "...Oh. Yeah if he doesn't want you here, there's nothing i can do". I try to tell my side and he's just like sorry, you gotta go.

it was a parking company so they just placed me somewhere else, but I still don't know what i did. if dude heard me wrong, or if he was used to some other routine when he shows up, or he just liked firing people for fun. i assume he was the owner or ran the place. even though it was a job i didn't are about, i'm still like fuck that guy for eternity

the place is still there and a few times in my life people have suggested eathing there and im like fuck no

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Tue Dec-03-19 09:36 AM

13. "Probably looked him in the eye, had too much bass in your voice"
In response to Reply # 8

Dude probably got triggered, on some "who does this guy think he is?"

kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Sun Dec-01-19 09:23 PM

9. "me"
In response to Reply # 0

but i was already on probation, so one more infraction would have done me in anyway.

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Mon Dec-02-19 01:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "No, but where I'm at, people stay trying to make that happen"
In response to Reply # 0

We all get those calls from time to time.

Usually, the issue is that we've had to tell them something unpleasant, or some form of not getting their way.

It comes with the territory, really. But, generally speaking, there's a discernible difference between someone who is simply desperate, and someone who is clearly trying to bait you into a negative interaction.

Then there's a special class of arrogance, the "I'm a tax payer, you work for me", or the ones who open with "I will be taking the survey at the end, so you make sure and keep that in mind, ok, buddy?", or the "i know so and so".

Of course, all the calls are recorded, so for those that have an agenda, that makes it extremely difficult to twist things around.

I don't know of a single person who has been let go over a customer report, or even disciplinary action.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Mon Dec-02-19 10:28 AM

11. "LOL Nope. But they damn sure try though."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Bluebear
Member since Apr 06th 2003
3757 posts
Mon Dec-02-19 01:26 PM

12. "I was fired based on a complaint from a celeb"
In response to Reply # 0

That I didn't give him special treatment. Made a big deal of it on his radio show.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13357546 Previous topic | Next topic