Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13356532

Subject: "Talking Cars on a Tuesday: It's Electric!" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 05:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Talking Cars on a Tuesday: It's Electric!"

is anyone allowed to make car posts?

how many people in here have an electric car? would you get an electric car?

i sure hope my next car is electric. not in my price range currently.

would like this to be it lol
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/los-angeles-auto-show/a29848295/karma-sc2-concept-pictures-specs-hp-info/

what do you guys think of this mustang mach-e?
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29819491/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-release-date-price-photos/

are we past electric cars not being cool anymore?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm still suffering from range anxiety
Nov 19th 2019
good points
Nov 19th 2019
my big problem with the mustang name is that mustangs are affordable
Nov 19th 2019
      Affordable is relative
Nov 19th 2019
           a base 4 cyl ecoboost at $26k is still a nice lil coupe
Nov 19th 2019
                dimensions are that of a small SUV plus with tax incentive
Nov 19th 2019
talk about influence...
Nov 19th 2019
There's a Fiskar Karma in town...
Nov 21st 2019
I have an i3 with a range extender, ask away
Nov 19th 2019
miss having an all electric car
Nov 19th 2019
there's no WAY i'm trusting a VW electric car. EVERY VW i've ever owned
Nov 20th 2019
I'd cop an eGolf in a minute
Nov 20th 2019
      oh i'd COP for sure....but I'd be checking its DM's on the reg....
Nov 20th 2019
      I’m saving up for the VW E Bus
Nov 20th 2019
I’m keeping my eye on the Mini Electric and Hyundai
Nov 20th 2019
my next car will be electric
Nov 20th 2019
My Tesla Model S hit 100K over the weekend.
Nov 20th 2019
how much did you pay for it?
Nov 21st 2019
      $43k in 2017
Nov 21st 2019
How are ya'll washing your cars?
Nov 21st 2019
hand wash
Nov 21st 2019
Same way we wash our meats *shrug*
Nov 22nd 2019
I've been in the weeds on car detailing before
Nov 22nd 2019
hand wash only
Nov 22nd 2019
Texan Wire Rims - Latepass
Nov 21st 2019
meanwhile musk unveils SNES Starfox truck
Nov 22nd 2019
I think I saw that truck in an 80’s sci fi movie
Nov 22nd 2019
shit look like a glitch
Nov 22nd 2019
dead pixel array ass'd truck....
Nov 22nd 2019
Not entirely sure who that truck is selling to
Nov 22nd 2019
This guy: https://tinyurl.com/usaapql
Nov 22nd 2019
when you skipped the fillet lesson in autodesk alias
Nov 22nd 2019
when you skipped EVERY lesson
Nov 22nd 2019
This looks like a prop in the new Automan reboot
Nov 22nd 2019
PlayStation 1 ass truck
Nov 22nd 2019
it's been done
Nov 22nd 2019
ive kinda come around it but not really
Nov 25th 2019

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 05:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I'm still suffering from range anxiety"
In response to Reply # 0

I think realistically I could do it, provided I had a 240v charger at home. My garage isn't huge, so my wife would have to park outside (don't think I want the charger outside). Daily commutes would be fine for a few days. Trips out of town? That worries me. While there are more charging stations popping up, the infrastructure is still not quite built out enough for me not to worry, and then it's mainly in urban areas. If I go south to visit family, I'm sunk. That said, if I had my money right and we keps a petrol car for longer trips, I could see it.

The Mach E is...... First the name. Putting the Mustang name on it was stupid. I suppose Fors is trying to make the Mustang it's own 'brand', but it doesn't seem to hit much of the Mustang ethos (though the GT 0-60 performance is worthy). They killed all the cars, so they could have just called it a Fusion. Or pick a name. Mustang? FOH. As far as the vehicle itself? It's less ugly than a Model X (and probably the Model Y is pics go by anything), but it's not exactly fetching. Electric cars feel like the future (or stopgap future, depending on who you ask), so for a major mainstream car maker to take the fight to Tesla, kudos to Ford.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 06:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "good points"
In response to Reply # 1

long trips are definitely a concern. i do wonder about charging at home if you rent.

i dont do many long trips, if i were in a position to buy an electric car that might not keep me from it. i could probably do a rental for those rare trips. would add a complication either way.

yeah the mustang name is weird. i wonder if it just means you will see many of them wrecked due to stupid drivers.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 06:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "my big problem with the mustang name is that mustangs are affordable"
In response to Reply # 1

this ain't really.

otherwise, if you really look at the history of the mustang name, it doesn't mean shit.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 06:59 PM

4. "Affordable is relative"
In response to Reply # 3

What's the base on a fleet/rental special 'Stang? $27k? I guess it's not horrible, but base to base with the Mach-e, eh.

Affordable, sporty, fast and fun were the mission brief for the Mustang, I feel. Not sure how the 'E' stacks up. And true, Ford has strayed from some or all of these traits at multiple points in the car's history (and this is before we talk the Mustang II), a don't think a battery powered 4 door crossover was ever on the table.

Could be worse. The Mitsubishi Eclipse(Cross) comes to mind

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 07:28 PM

7. "a base 4 cyl ecoboost at $26k is still a nice lil coupe"
In response to Reply # 4

the mach-e *starts* at 40k for a model that seems pretty light (I still haven't read up on it)

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 09:02 PM

8. "dimensions are that of a small SUV plus with tax incentive"
In response to Reply # 7

cheaper right?

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 07:07 PM

5. "talk about influence..."
In response to Reply # 0

..Karma has been the strongest and most recognizable influences on Tesla (understandably so), which apparently was the influence on that Ford Mustang Mach-E. The SC2 is a masterful work of art & engineering.

E-ither way, I'm happy to see more electric vehicles on the market.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 07:36 PM

22. "There's a Fiskar Karma in town..."
In response to Reply # 5

that I've seen a couple times in the last year. I'm so curious and want to know more but I'm always traveling the opposite direction. One of these days I hope to check out and compare contrast with my Model S.

See ya, JAK
http://www.staugustinepics.com/

Winner of OKP Second Photo Kontest
Pic #6 http://www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/kontest2

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 07:23 PM

6. "I have an i3 with a range extender, ask away "
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue Nov-19-19 09:05 PM

9. "miss having an all electric car"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a Pacifica Hybrid
but the Mach E got me kind of excited...plus being a hatch and over 200m range...will keep a look out

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Wed Nov-20-19 07:42 AM

10. "there's no WAY i'm trusting a VW electric car. EVERY VW i've ever owned "
In response to Reply # 0

suffered from numerous electrical gremlins...It's like the ONLY guarantee you get from a VW...that you're gonna have electrical issues at some point in time...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Nov-20-19 09:49 AM

11. "I'd cop an eGolf in a minute"
In response to Reply # 10

the electric XC40 too.

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Wed Nov-20-19 10:28 AM

13. "oh i'd COP for sure....but I'd be checking its DM's on the reg...."
In response to Reply # 11

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Wed Nov-20-19 10:38 AM

14. "I’m saving up for the VW E Bus"
In response to Reply # 11

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79585 posts
Wed Nov-20-19 09:59 AM

12. "I’m keeping my eye on the Mini Electric and Hyundai "
In response to Reply # 0

I’m still a fan of gas/electric.

https://m.hyundaiusa.com/ioniq-hybrid

I would hate to be stuck out somewhere but I like how Tesla maps out trips so you won’t get stranded.

My only issue with electric is remembering to plug it in every night. Some nights I don’t plug in my phone. I would hate to forget to plug in and be ass out before work or an important meeting.

I know our next car will be electric tho because we aren’t buying a car for at least 5 years

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Wed Nov-20-19 05:20 PM

15. "my next car will be electric"
In response to Reply # 0

still not totally sure what yet, but i'm keeping my eye on the EV market for sure.

they really need to start putting charging stations at rest stops. that seems like a no-brainer. that would alleviate range anxiety if you knew that you could always go to the nearest rest stop along every highway to charge up. why there is not more push for this is bonkers to me.

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Wed Nov-20-19 06:35 PM

16. "My Tesla Model S hit 100K over the weekend."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-20-19 06:43 PM by kajsidog

I'm averaging about 39K miles a year. Taken it on many family road trips up to 4k miles at a time. Start every morning charged to 80%. (Batteries last longer if you don't charge them all the way up or let them get super low)

Love electric, can't go back. Used to work in a custom car shop and grew up around muscle cars.

Instant torque is addictive and doesn't get old.

The thought of going to a gas station twice a week like I used to seems so antiquated.

Use my phone to start the AC so I never get into a hot or cold car.

Software updates make the car better than when I bought it including keeping the interface modern.

Crazy amounts of storage which is crucial for two kids. Since there's no gas tank the hatchback has a sub-trunk. Can even carry 12ft lumber, multiple bookcases/and a stupid amount of mulch (Even have enough space left over to make the front trunk a ball pit: http://www.staugustinepics.com/uncategorized/put-ball-pit-car/)

On those road trips it's free to charge and takes about 20min every couple hours. With kids that need breaks it really doesn't change our arrival time. Supercharging network is huge and the car plans the route for me. I actually prefer Tesla over a gas car for road trips. I can't imagine doing road trips in any other brand vehicle currently though.

Prior car was a Mazda 3 hatchback. After fuel (electric is about 1/3rd the price of gas - free at superchargers) and maintenance savings (tires are the only required maintenance) this should end up costing about the same amount, just paid for up-front - I bought used for 43K.

I have recently replaced the center screen after it started leaking glue, an issue with some old ones. ~ $1400

Motor (worked fine but made subtle noise when it should be silent)/door handle/floormats/12v battery/tailight have been replaced under warranty.

See ya, JAK

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 09:55 AM

17. "how much did you pay for it? "
In response to Reply # 16

My boys wife was leasing one but the payments were dumb high. When his wife turned the car in he said it was the biggest fight they ever had.. lol. He loved that car.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 06:21 PM

19. "$43k in 2017"
In response to Reply # 17

It was a 2014 with 23,000 miles on it. Paid cash as my Mazda 3 had 324,000 miles allowing me to save lots of money.

See ya, JAK

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 10:10 AM

18. "How are ya'll washing your cars?"
In response to Reply # 0

I just got a new 2019 Lexus ES F Sport - and I quickly realized how bad automatic car washes are in causing swirls in the finish. (My car is black so everything shows.)

I've switched to washing by hand, but I know I'm not gonna me able to keep that up in these Michigan winters. I went to a no touch wash and actually ended up scratching my rims on the guide track they had (most auto washes have plastic protecting the guide rails - this no touch wash just had a non-moving metal guide which didn't work well with the low profile tire wheels I have.)

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 07:22 PM

20. "hand wash"
In response to Reply # 18

May car's dark green and subtle swirls have started to show up so I'm trying to get better with my methods. Although I used two buckets I rarely washed my mitts, I'm now washing them after every use.

I briefly tried pressure washer and dried with a leaf blower in addition to feeling ridiculous it didn't seem to clean the car that well.

As a 100k gift I want to get the swirls buffed out but I'm afraid to do it myself and hate trusting anyone else, ha ha.

See ya, JAK

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 06:41 AM

23. "Same way we wash our meats *shrug*"

spenzalii
10982 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 10:25 AM

28. "I've been in the weeds on car detailing before"

Hand wash only, 2 bucket setup (one for soap, one to rinse the microfiber mitt). When it's super cold I try to stay late and wash my car at work (the office I work in has a hose in the basement), but if that's not an option I have pulled the car in the garage at home and used a rinseless wash like ONR, which works rather well (but if there's been a lot of snow or heavy salt, I'll wait until I can do a traditional wash)

Usually try to get a good sealant and wax on before it gets super cold, which helps protect the paint through the winter a bit. Then do a good decontamination and polish in the spring.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 03:22 PM

35. "hand wash only"

In the winter I make sure to put a good layer of protection on first. Then I just wait until theres a nice enough day to hand wash it. Theres usually a handful of 50ish degree days here throughout the winter. I just decontaminated, polished, and applied Gyeon Can Coat last weekend.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 07:33 PM

21. "Texan Wire Rims - Latepass"
In response to Reply # 0

Despite listening to Paul Wall ages ago until the last month I didn't know about Houston's wheel trend. Crazy and I love it. Couldn't ever do it myself but much respect.

https://www.texanwirewheels.com/

See ya, JAK

mista k5
16414 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 10:04 AM

24. "meanwhile musk unveils SNES Starfox truck"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a29877700/tesla-cybertruck-pickup-debut-photos-specs/

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 10:14 AM

25. "I think I saw that truck in an 80’s sci fi movie"
In response to Reply # 24

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 10:17 AM

26. "shit look like a glitch"

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 10:17 AM

27. "dead pixel array ass'd truck...."

spenzalii
10982 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 10:26 AM

29. "Not entirely sure who that truck is selling to"

I can't imagine pulling up to the jobsite in this

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 10:39 AM

31. "This guy: https://tinyurl.com/usaapql"
In response to Reply # 29

https://tinyurl.com/usaapql

mista k5
16414 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 10:32 AM

30. "when you skipped the fillet lesson in autodesk alias"

images may still be loading

FLUIDJ
44615 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 10:40 AM

32. "when you skipped EVERY lesson"
In response to Reply # 30

>images may still be loading

spenzalii
10982 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 11:03 AM

33. "This looks like a prop in the new Automan reboot"

https://www.shoutfactory.com/s3_images/images/887abf9e-9034-e511-8d05-d4ae527c3b65/AutomanTCSCover72dpi.jpg

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 12:57 PM

34. "PlayStation 1 ass truck "

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri Nov-22-19 06:11 PM

36. "it's been done"

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c7/f6/9d/c7f69d2de2abea1e99a8a113a4388d59.gif

mista k5
16414 posts
Mon Nov-25-19 10:55 AM

37. "ive kinda come around it but not really"

im over it looking too different. that will be an appeal for it. when you see this in person im sure it will catch your attention.

there are some angles that do look cool. over all it still looks unrefined. i feel they could have accomplished what they were trying to and made it actually look good too.

i did start wondering why it was designed as it is. was it designed this way to max out aerodynamics? was it function over form???? the more i read about the more i see thats not true.

the best explanation is that it looks like this to save them money on manufacturing. so function was disregarded, they probably could get better aerodynamics and extend the range if they had made different design decisions.

that said, the claimed specs for it are still really good. the main function i see being an issue is the lack of access to the bed from the side.

i hope they do some slight refinement before actual production and i wouldnt be surprised to see others copy this angular aesthetic.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13356532 Previous topic | Next topic