Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13354715

Subject: "FL county denies library funding for NYT digital subscriptions (swipe & ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 12:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"FL county denies library funding for NYT digital subscriptions (swipe & ..."

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. I think right now it's a laugh because this nonsense isn't affecting me.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida/2019/11/04/commissioners-call-new-york-times-fake-news-deny-library-funding-for-digital-subscriptions/

The Citrus County Commission came to a consensus at the end of October: The county should not spend roughly $2,700 annually to buy digital subscriptions to the New York Times for the 70,000 library-card holders who reside in the county.

The commissioners were not shy in sharing why they thought it was a waste of money.

“Do we really need to subscribe to the New York Times?” one commissioner asked during the meeting.

“Why the heck would we spend money on something like that?” asked another.

Commissioner Scott Carnahan appeared the most passionate against approving the funding, alluding to political reasons as part of his decision.

“Fake news, I agree with President Trump,” Carnahan said. “I don’t want the New York Times in this county. I don’t agree with it, I don’t like 'em, it’s fake news and I’m voting no. They can take that money and do something else with it ... I support Donald Trump."

The item was placed on the commission’s agenda after the county’s library system requested funding for digital subscriptions to supplement residents’ access to media, which already included the print edition of the New York Times.

In the days after the Oct. 24 meeting, Citrus County residents took to social media to share their displeasure with the commissioners’ decision — or in some cases, to praise it.

Sandy Price, the advisory board chairman for the county’s libraries, told the Citrus County Chronicle she was disappointed with the commissioners’ decision to block the funding. She also said she was concerned with the reason behind the blocking, specifically citing Carnahan’s comments about the New York Times being ‘fake news.’

“Someone’s personal political view does not have a place in deciding what library resources are available for the entire county,” Price told the Chronicle on Monday. “Libraries have to ensure all points of view are represented.”

Despite all five commissioners railing against the request during the commission meeting, feedback that he received in the days after caused Commissioner Brian Coleman to loosen his stance on the request.

Coleman originally said of the funding request: “I support President Trump. I would say they put stuff in there that’s not necessarily verified."

Two days after the meeting, however, Coleman told The Chronicle he wanted to re-address the topic at a future meeting.

“Our decision should have been impartial, instead of having it become a personal thing," Coleman told the Chronicle.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
45 is requesting that this happen across the federal gov actually (swipe...
Nov 05th 2019

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 01:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "45 is requesting that this happen across the federal gov actually (swipe..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/trump-instructs-federal-agencies-to-cancel-washington-post-and-new-york-times-subscriptions/2019/10/24/aefcf0b0-f68a-11e9-8cf0-4cc99f74d127_story.html

Trump instructs federal agencies to end Washington Post and New York Times subscriptions

By
Paul Farhi
Oct. 24, 2019 at 2:24 p.m. CST
The Trump administration plans to end subscriptions to The Washington Post and the New York Times held by federal agencies, the latest sign of presidential displeasure with news coverage he deems unfair.

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham told the Wall Street Journal that the White House would instruct agencies not to renew their subscriptions to the papers when they come up.

She characterized the decision as a cost-saving measure, telling the Journal that “hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars will be saved” by the cancellations.

Trump has made no secret of his dislike for both newspapers, dubbing the Times “the failing New York Times” and The Post “the Amazon Washington Post” in his frequent broadsides against the two news organizations.

Neither description is accurate: The Times’s parent company, the New York Times Co., is highly profitable and its subscription base has been growing smartly, particularly since Trump took office. The Post is owned by Amazon founder and chief executive Jeff Bezos but is otherwise unaffiliated with Amazon itself.

Trump turned his animus toward the Times and Post up a notch in an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity on Monday, saying, “We don’t even want in the White House anymore. “We’re going to probably terminate that and The Washington Post. They’re fake.”

The White House has already canceled its subscriptions to the papers, according to several accounts.

The two papers have been among the leading news sources in investigating Trump, and have closely covered the impeachment inquiry in the House that threatens his presidency.

The Times won a Pulitzer Prize earlier this year for a series of stories detailing Trump’s inheritance from his father and his family’s history of using questionable and possibly illegal strategies to avoid taxes.

The Times and The Post shared a Pulitzer in 2018 for documenting Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and its connections to Trump’s campaign and his transition team and administration. During the 2016 campaign, both papers aggressively covered allegations that he sexually assaulted women. And The Post’s David Fahrenthold won a Pulitzer for coverage “casting doubt on Donald Trump’s assertions of generosity toward charities.”

Trump responded earlier this year by saying in a tweet that the Pulitzer committee should withdraw the Russia prize awarded to the papers. In June, he tweeted that a Times story about the United States’ cyber campaign against Russian targets was “a virtual act of Treason by a once great paper so desperate for a story, any story, even if bad for our Country.” He repeated his now-familiar mantra: “Enemy of the people.”

It’s not clear how many subscriptions federal agencies have to the newspapers, and whether these are to the physical paper itself, to its digital equivalent or to both.

Spokespeople for the Times and Post had no comment.

Presidents have canceled newspapers in fits of pique at their coverage before. President Kennedy canceled the White House’s subscription to the New York Herald Tribune in the early 1960s. According to historian Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. in his account of Kennedy’s presidency, “A Thousand Days,” Kennedy was angry at the newspaper’s editorials about impropriety in his administration, complaining that the newspaper underplayed similar behavior in the Eisenhower administration.

The White House eventually renewed its subscription.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby General Discussion topic #13354715 Previous topic | Next topic