Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13354660

Subject: "How did you deal with closing costs?" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Nov-04-19 02:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How did you deal with closing costs?"

Because we thought we had everything under control as we were looking at this feels like a hidden bomb in the initial plans.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
rolled them into the mortgage.
Nov 04th 2019
Mine became part of my mortgage
Nov 04th 2019
Wait, I'm thinking about something else. I dropped a bunch of cash...
Nov 05th 2019
Different ways over the years:
Nov 05th 2019
Seller paid all but $500 of closing costs
Nov 05th 2019
What?!? How.
Nov 05th 2019
      Make it part of your offer. There are limits now to how much a seller ca...
Nov 05th 2019
      No I get the logistics. Just feels like a damn great deal.
Nov 05th 2019
           Anything is possible in a buyer's market. Try some of these tactics thou...
Nov 05th 2019
      Its what we negotiated.
Nov 05th 2019
I’m pretty sure the sellers paid some of it
Nov 06th 2019
Paid it in cash both times
Nov 06th 2019

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Mon Nov-04-19 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "rolled them into the mortgage."
In response to Reply # 0

or paid them. but mine haven't been too significant.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Mon Nov-04-19 03:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Mine became part of my mortgage"
In response to Reply # 0

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 10:47 AM

6. "Wait, I'm thinking about something else. I dropped a bunch of cash..."
In response to Reply # 2

...for closing costs, as well as the down payment.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 09:42 AM

3. "Different ways over the years:"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Requested the seller pay them as part of negotiations on the current house when we purchased it. But that was over 10 years ago so they rules allowing that have likely changed a bit.

2. Rolled as much as possible into the mortgage on the most recent construction loan that we had to pull for renovations. It was like pulling teeth though because it was a construction loan and not a standard type of loan.

3. YEARS ago during the boom was able to have the developer pay all closing costs on our first purchase...this was like 2003 or so, so I'm sure that type of deal it probably unheard of these days..

But yeah, closing costs are probably THEEE most frustrating expense of home buying. It's like...they just GOTTA get in you liquid cash SOME kinda way.... I even detest the down payment requirements.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 10:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Seller paid all but $500 of closing costs"
In response to Reply # 0

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 10:38 AM

5. "What?!? How. "
In response to Reply # 4

------

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 10:55 AM

7. "Make it part of your offer. There are limits now to how much a seller ca..."
In response to Reply # 5

contribute though....

Your real estate agent should be able to assist with nailing down the appropriate details though.

The tactic we used (again, this was 10 years ago)...is we lowballed the offer on the house by like $50K....they balked at that of course....then we sent back a 2nd offer for full asking price and asked seller to pay all closing costs. They agreed to the 2nd offer.
During the lending process it was determined that sellers could only contribute up to a certain percentage of closing costs....so we then went BACK to seller asking for sales price reduction which ended up knocking the sales price down by like $8K - $10K or something....

This is ultimately what won me over to no longer shitting on real estate agents....dude really worked the angles for us....we'd have NEVER been able to navigate it on our own..

MEAT
22257 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 10:59 AM

8. "No I get the logistics. Just feels like a damn great deal. "
In response to Reply # 7

For someone to eat that amount of cost.

------

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 11:45 AM

10. "Anything is possible in a buyer's market. Try some of these tactics thou..."
In response to Reply # 8

There are "deals" to be had...
A lot time I've seen realtors press to bring the sales cost down...but the Sellars agent will fight against THAT harder than fighting against their seller client covering closing costs simply because a lower sales price eats into their commission.

You could offer more than asking and request closing costs to be covered too....but that's tricky because you gotta be sure that the appraisal will work out right....

I hate the real estate game...well...the lending game anyway...

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 11:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Its what we negotiated. "
In response to Reply # 5

I'm lucky I had a good team with me though. One of my homegirls was my realtor and my mom (who used to sell real estate) and dad were my advisors and had bought and sold a few homes themselves.

I didn't know you could ask for it, but my team let me know it was possible. So the 8K was mostly covered. Plus I was a first time home buyer and where I am that exempts you from some other fees as well.

Keep in mind though, these folks I think had overpriced the house and it was still on the market late in the season. So they had to drop the price a couple of times. They tried to play it like they had other offers, but they didn't. Their realtor's poker face was utter trash. So we took out time, submitted a strong offer with the closing cost request and it worked.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Wed Nov-06-19 09:18 AM

11. "I’m pretty sure the sellers paid some of it"
In response to Reply # 0

They were desperate to move.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Wed Nov-06-19 09:35 AM

12. "Paid it in cash both times"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13354660 Previous topic | Next topic