Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13353999

Subject: "o no rhythm and flow post?" Previous topic | Next topic
Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43743 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 12:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"o no rhythm and flow post?"

I mean I kinda get it. Netflix shows are hard to discuss. But for what it's worth - thought this was really great.

A very well produced show with so much talent. Without spoiling anything (obviously the winner is out there, the show is over, etc) I'll just say at least 2 of the top 4 will probably break through in some way.

Truly thought it was well produced (with some minor hiccups throughout) but it's wild just how bad Cardi B is at TV for someone who came up in TV. Chance and TI are excellent judges, and I was really impressed once it got through the prelims and the other challenges we've seen on other rap competition shows (the sample episode in particular).

Thought some people got robbed, for sure.

Also thought this show could never exist on linear television, and that it was a great use of the streaming platform for sure. It also looked expensive as hell.

Anyway, watch it. It was good.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
There was one...I was just looking for it...I thought it was dope
Oct 30th 2019
Yeah there was certainly a turning point.
Oct 30th 2019
      The battles really pissed me off (spoilers)
Oct 30th 2019
           RE: The battles really pissed me off (spoilers)
Oct 30th 2019
           She was great.
Oct 30th 2019
                ^^^^^
Nov 01st 2019
           man i forgot about beanz
Nov 18th 2019
           RE: The battles really pissed me off (spoilers)
Nov 21st 2019
Couldn't get through the first episode.
Oct 30th 2019
Give it some more time.
Oct 30th 2019
Once you get past the qualifying shows it picks up
Oct 30th 2019
i watched the first one last night
Oct 31st 2019
it definitely picks up steam as it goes along
Nov 21st 2019
i didn't peep it until i learned someone i fucking know, worked with
Oct 31st 2019
NICE!!!! I listened to that persons stuff on Spotify
Oct 31st 2019
the whole family has been one of LA's best kept secrets
Oct 31st 2019
      the humility of a true artist is real with him
Nov 01st 2019
got sucked in last night, ended up watching a few eps
Oct 31st 2019
Finished this like a week ago *SPOILERS*
Oct 31st 2019
I was super impressed with King Los
Nov 01st 2019
Dude was like a rap whisperer lol
Nov 01st 2019
spoilers: I was impressed with the quality of the show
Nov 21st 2019

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "There was one...I was just looking for it...I thought it was dope"
In response to Reply # 0

But you really don't realize it until the end.

A couple folk did get robbed...and put in bad positions..but in the end, I see why the person that won, won.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

Ryan M
43743 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 12:30 PM

2. "Yeah there was certainly a turning point. "
In response to Reply # 1

So hard to judge these people based off of the challenges they had. I think they'll have to figure out the seeding for battles next time, cause losing some of those people sucked.

17x NBA Champions

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 12:55 PM

3. "The battles really pissed me off (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 2

Beanz vs Flawless Victory

That was a move to eliminate one of them so they wouldnt have to.

The Big Mouf Bo chick? She shoulda lost mad points for being all in the other girls face. SMACK shoulda said something.

Im not convinced D-Smoke beat Old Man Saxon.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 01:52 PM

4. "RE: The battles really pissed me off (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm so pissed about Beanz.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

Ryan M
43743 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 01:57 PM

5. "She was great."
In response to Reply # 4

But Flawless really did murk her.

17x NBA Champions

Phenomenality
Charter member
31246 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 12:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 5

Vee is I and I am She

http://ascensionlifestyle.org
http://twitter.com/phenomenality
http://instagram.com/therealphenomenality

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Nov-18-19 04:16 PM

19. "man i forgot about beanz"
In response to Reply # 3

i definitely thought the match ups were bad. at least beanz vs flawless and old man vs d-smoke. they did admit the old man one should have been switched.

flawless was more polished from the get go but they should have let beanz stay at least another challenge.

caleb staying so late while beanz and old man saxon were gone after the battles???

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 01:55 PM

20. "RE: The battles really pissed me off (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 3

>Flawless Victory

that would be a dope name...but you mean Flawless Real Talk (way worse name)

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 04:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Couldn't get through the first episode."
In response to Reply # 0

I thought it was terrible.

Ryan M
43743 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 05:30 PM

7. "Give it some more time."
In response to Reply # 6

The prelim episodes are rote and super familiar but it becomes something else altogether.

17x NBA Champions

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Oct-30-19 09:01 PM

8. "Once you get past the qualifying shows it picks up"
In response to Reply # 6

I almost quit too

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 10:05 AM

12. "i watched the first one last night"
In response to Reply # 6

im not really a fan of talent shows. this didnt really change my mind. i do like that they are involving more rappers.

old man saxon looks like an obvious to win it all. he had came up on youtube recommendations this week. watched a video of his after, it was 6 years old and very polished. never heard of dude before. kind of seems unfair for him to be competing but im guessing this isnt unusual in other type of shows so whatever.

ill watch more but im not in a rush (besides wanting to cancel netflix soon lol)

i laughed at cardi and ti telling one dude they couldnt understand him.

snoop seems like he would go out of his way to look like hes really vibing with anything that isnt horrible. so if it looks like he isnt liking a performance then he really doesnt like you.

SsenepoD
4331 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 02:05 PM

21. "it definitely picks up steam as it goes along"
In response to Reply # 6

where it gets to a broader level vs. specific challenges

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 12:37 AM

9. "i didn't peep it until i learned someone i fucking know, worked with"
In response to Reply # 0

AND traveled with was on it, and learned from their IG about the result. i won't give it away but they CRUSHED their performances and won the respect of everyone and 250 grand!!!!! i'm amped because i finally finished it tonight and it was beyond surreal to see someone you know blow thee fuck up.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 05:42 AM

10. "NICE!!!! I listened to that persons stuff on Spotify"
In response to Reply # 9

And I clearly see why they won.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 10:21 AM

13. "the whole family has been one of LA's best kept secrets"
In response to Reply # 9

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 08:49 PM

18. "the humility of a true artist is real with him"
In response to Reply # 13
Fri Nov-01-19 08:50 PM by rawsouthpaw

i worked / taught alongside him for like 2 full years at our south central high school before he bounced back to inglewood, we'd chop it up on music here and there, and he told me his brother and him got down and invited me to check them out but i didn't make it out. he never talked up his music unless you asked, and i didnt learn sir was his brother until now.

some of the teachers who could get down musically would jam in the music teacher's room and he would start slapping the shit out of the fucking drums while the bad ass math teacher by day/dj by night would play dilla beats and the other heads including our students would play guitar, keys etc. i would just vibe the fuck out since my medium is art though the thought crossed my mind to freestyle with the group haha. he did rock a school assembly of course, blowing away hundreds of students, which i missed but as the yearbook advisor made sure a flick of that moment made the yearbook, and i'm hella glad i did.

one of the biggest things to me is it just goes to show the brilliant talent of people who choose the path of working with and being inspired by the youth.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 09:46 AM

11. "got sucked in last night, ended up watching a few eps"
In response to Reply # 0

i realize I have a hard time with rappers

I feel like the same old shit has been covered a million billion times over. there are people who do come with a fresh perspective but the art and the themes within the art have long been defined and I think this is kind of limiting for new rappers. There are obviously lots and lots of exceptions, but, it seems as if new rappers tend to gravitate towards easy established themes...

boast raps/i'm the best
my life was fucked up/life was hard
trapping/dope dealing
consumerism

or

I keep thinking - OK so you get put on and you get some songs on the radio, make a hit or two, then what? The shelf life of rappers these days is super short. (but, then again...its kinda always been the case with rap)

Fetty Wap?
Shek Wes?
Chief Keef?
B.o.B.?
Desiigner?
J-Kwon?
Jibbs?
MiMs?
Lil Pump?
Kreashawn?
etc

anyway...Cardi B is interesting to watch, I get the sense that shes really very very intelligent but has lived a hard life/trauma and there is a real version of her self thats never shown publicly

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 02:28 PM

14. "Finished this like a week ago *SPOILERS*"
In response to Reply # 0

It was really good. Like most here, I almost lost interest after the first few but I wanted to see how it evolved and it paid off.

The last 4 would have only been better if it was a last 5 and Old Man Saxon made it. Shame he went out when he did...was definitively better than people that made it further.

I think the judges got it right...but it was CLOSE.

I loved the collab episode, the video episode and the finale.

I'd recommend it.

Phenomenality
Charter member
31246 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 12:41 AM

16. "I was super impressed with King Los"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-01-19 12:41 AM by Phenomenality

He was excellent… Londynn’s super hit “I cant change” was all him… those few little switch ups turned mediocrity into a major banger. I thought every single piece of advice he gave was spot on.

Vee is I and I am She

http://ascensionlifestyle.org
http://twitter.com/phenomenality
http://instagram.com/therealphenomenality

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Fri Nov-01-19 10:16 AM

17. "Dude was like a rap whisperer lol"
In response to Reply # 16

I think he gave all of them great advice and it made them better. A lot of times, those coaches on these shows seem like gratuitous additions but dude was really an asset.

And his turn up during the shows when they put the camera on him was great too as it showed he was really invested in all of the artists.

SsenepoD
4331 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 02:15 PM

22. "spoilers: I was impressed with the quality of the show"
In response to Reply # 0

yea, the first few episodes were slow as they weeded out some of the less interesting folks, & got through the obligatory "we're going to make you do xyz even though it doesn't fit you as an artist because you have to adapt to everything (even though we know that's not actually how the business works)".

once they got to the spaces where the artists were making songs/videos/performances, it was dope.

I think the judges (& coach King Los) were very good. King Los really impressed me with his ability to help these artists work through things. I think Chance came off kind of as a dick at times & his feedback didn't always seem genuine (he had the nerve to tell someone they were being gimmicky with their flows/voice). To be fair, I watched after his shitshow album so I was already lookin at him with a side eye. TI is a trash person & his fake ass woke persona is grating, but he had good feedback. Cardi was great - you can say what you want about her but she was one of the most entertaining parts of the show. I think the judges had good chemistry together as well.

You can tell this was a netflix show with budget - it's a whole level above anything VH1's done in this realm.

I think the best artist won, but there was some sandbagging with him working with miguel (& then finding out he actually toured with miguel under his brother years ago) & then sounwave (who i'm sure he's been around before). I get why they'd keep that on the low, but still.

As for the artists themselves, DSmoke was clearly the best, Londynn has a look & sound that I could see working on a bigger scale, Troyman had some very good stuff but I could see him sort of fading to the background. I thought flawless could rap but was very uninteresting. old man saxon had a gimmick but it wasn't like it really went along with his music (ex. leon bridges doing the whole retro thing in look AND sound).

overall, I want to see where DSmoke goes from here. the inglewood high project is good but it was probably stuff that had already been worked on. i'm looking forward to his next thing when he's working with more folks like sir & sounwave, etc. he can def sound like a kendrick clone but hell, kendrick's influenced a ton of people & I think DSmoke has room to continue growing his sound.

if they bring the show back for a second season, I really hope they nail the judges again. you can't go from TI/Chance/Cardi to b level artists, even if they'd be good at giving feedback.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13353999 Previous topic | Next topic